HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2011 4th Round Pick, 120th Overall - F Ludwig Blomstrand

Old
06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobal View Post
I'm wondering why people are souring on Rodin? He had an injury-plagued season, but he was still productive.
Souring on him? He's an excellent prospect right now and had a very good year.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Souring on him? He's an excellent prospect right now.
I was just referring to Nathanspost's... post.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Yeah sorry, meant to limit that to Andersson.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Yeah, I just looked. Maybe he meant Andersson? But he was a 5th rounder, what do people expect?

Old
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Watch him make the canucks next year and score 30 goals :p

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
I'm wondering why people are souring on Rodin? He had an injury-plagued season, but he was still productive.
I'm wondering myself. The biggest's knock on him at the draft was that he was 5'10/5'11 and 160 pounds soaking wet. Rodin has grown significantly since that point.

People need to watch this video again

I'm guessing fans will get back on the Rodin bandwagon when they see him at camp.

edler von real gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Rodin is one of our top prospects. He'll be a good one.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
dingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I'm wondering myself. The biggest's knock on him at the draft was that he was 5'10/5'11 and 160 pounds soaking wet. Rodin has grown significantly since that point.

People need to watch this video again

I'm guessing fans will get back on the Rodin bandwagon when they see him at camp.
Hadn't seen that... nice vid. The puck seems to stay on his stick like it's glued on. We always like those players.

dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'll wait 3 years to reserve judgement on this pick. Seems like a really rough Franzen-like project player in the best case scenario.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:47 PM
nameless1
#sunshinesandsmiles

I have a theory about this pick.
I believe the Canucks had their eye on Zach Yuen, but they were caught off guard when Winnipeg picked him.
Since this is the 4th round with only a short time to pick, they went off the map and picked up someone on nobody's radar.

Looking back at the draft, many were good picks except this one.
There is no way Blomstad would go this high.
It could just be a panic pick.

Again, this is just a theory.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Gillis probably read off the wrong card
At least Gillis did not draft a dead guy like the Calgary Flames in the 1988 draft.

There were two Stefan Nilssons - one was playing for HV71 Jonkoping (the dead one) and one was playing for IF Troja/Ljungby (the live one). Vancouver drafted the live one.

See post # 221
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=570087&page=9

1988 Draft
Round # 7
147 Calgary Stefan Nilsson HV71 Jonkoping (SEL)
Born Feb 19 1968
He passed away in a motor vehicle accident 3 months prior to the draft. Calgary didn't have a full time scout in Sweden or Finland
at that time. They didn't know until after the draft that this had happened. Several teams who did have European scouts at that time knew full well what the Flames had done. No one bothered to tell the Flames until the draft was concluded.

1988 Draft
Round # 12
233 Vancouver Stefan Nilsson C Troja (Sweden)
Center Born Dec 9 1968
Calgary challenged Vancouver's pick but the appeal was denied by the NHL as the Flames should have had the the correct information. Too bad so sad.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 06-26-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:01 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I have a theory about this pick.
I believe the Canucks had their eye on Zach Yuen, but they were caught off guard when Winnipeg picked him.
Since this is the 4th round with only a short time to pick, they went off the map and picked up someone on nobody's radar.

Looking back at the draft, many were good picks except this one.
There is no way Blomstad would go this high.
It could just be a panic pick.

Again, this is just a theory.
Doubtful. They have a list, they just take the highest guy left on their list.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:21 AM
thefeebster

Just realized this guy was at the U18's, but i didn't really notice him much at all. I'd assume that's where the org took a liking to him, despite him not showing up on the scoreboard once (Per hf, he was on he 4th line).

Also, Anders Östbergs puts out his annual draft list for swedish eligibles. He ranked Ludwig 15th of all swedes available in the draft and there is a tiny blurb that didn't translate well, but i'm inferring it goes something like "He was a lot better in the spring and skating for his size is 5 out of 5. Can be an excellent role player. Someone will definitely take a chance on him in the 5th to 7th round."

http://sport.msn.se/hockey/news/1169...opp-50-ranking

Optimistically speaking, if this guy becomes a left wing Jannick Hansen, i'll be super happy and the league should be terrified to have both on the same line. I'd like to see him come over like Hansen did. From what i read, he is not getting much opportunity and is stuck on the bottom 6 of the J20 squad. So I really hope we ask a team to select him in this weeks import draft. If he finds some hands, with the speed he is touted with, he could be a poor man's Rakell.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Tiranis

Even without good hands, on the smaller ice he might be able to contribute more offensively than he is over there.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Assistant GM Laurence Gilman: “He's a Jannik Hansen-type player. He has tremendous speed and will eventually fill a role in the NHL.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/G...#ixzz1QPgtWgmI

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:53 PM
The Big Foot

Hope they can find a way to get him playing in the dub this year. That's got to be a better spot for a guy like him to develop.

Maybe getting drafted this high is a big surprise for him and will make him want to give this opportunity everything he can.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:36 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
At least Gillis did not draft a dead guy like the Calgary Flames in the 1988 draft.

There were two Stefan Nilssons - one was playing for HV71 Jonkoping (the dead one) and one was playing for IF Troja/Ljungby (the live one). Vancouver drafted the live one.

See post # 221

1988 Draft
Round # 7
Born Feb 19 1968
He passed away in a motor vehicle accident 3 months prior to the draft. Calgary didn't have a full time scout in Sweden or Finland
at that time. They didn't know until after the draft that this had happened. Several teams who did have European scouts at that time knew full well what the Flames had done. No one bothered to tell the Flames until the draft was concluded.

1988 Draft
Round # 12
Center Born Dec 9 1968
Calgary challenged Vancouver's pick but the appeal was denied by the NHL as the Flames should have had the the correct information. Too bad so sad.

Oddly enough Calgary's scouting hasn't changed much.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Tarot Sport*

Role players that sprout up from within the organization are often more effective and willing to win than hired gun type role players.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Intoewsables
MEAT AND TATERS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

See post # 221

1988 Draft
Round # 7
Born Feb 19 1968

1988 Draft
Round # 12
Center Born Dec 9 1968
How could he have died before the draft if he was still playing until 1994?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2896

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Not great optics on this pick as many have said, however he must have some puck skills/hockey sense or he would never have played a single international level game on any Swedish team.

Throwing out the name Evan Fuller is riduculous. Skating is apparently a strength of his, I remember watching Fuller trying to skate, Fuller was a fighter....and that all. He didn't retire at the age of 20 due to injury.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
Gradin was named a part-time scout in 1994-95 and full-time a couple of years later, so realistically he's had his hands on likely all of our Swedish picks since the 1995 draft. He was also named head of European scouting in 1998-99. So with that in mind, what does the Canuck drafting record of Swedes and Europeans look like in that time frame?

1995 - None
1996 - Jonas Solnig (33 AHL games)
1997 - No Swedes, Gradin still not Head European Scout
1998 - No Swedes, Gradin still not Head European Scout (Ruutu was Mike Keenan's doing, may have had a hand in Chubarov)
1999 - Sedins, Now Head Euro Scout and the Canucks took Rene Vydareny and Markus Kankaanpera, 0 NHL games between them
2000 - Possibly Pavel Duma, if Gradin's title includes Russia, 0 NHL games
2001 - Konstantin Mikhailov and Evgeny Gladskikh from Russia, 0 NHL games
2002 - Kirill Koltsov, Denis Grot and Ilya Krikunov from Russia, Lukas Mensator from Czech Republic , Thomas Nussli from Switzerland, 0 NHL games total
2003 - Nicklas Danielsson from Sweden, Sergei Topol from Russia, 0 NHL games
2004 - Hansen and Edler, both massive steals that Gradin likely played a big part in

I think you should remove all the Russians from the Burke era (99-04) from your list. I know they had a Russian scout during that era, there's no way a scout based in Scandinavia is scouting Russia as well. Still an interesting list, full of hits and misses as you said.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Cocoa Crisp

He needs a von to fully round out his colorful name. Ludwig von Blomstrand.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
PuckOut

A lot of Ludwig Blomstrand experts in here...

He played 4th line on Djurgården J20 since the team was stacked. If you take a closer look at his stats you'd see that he produced plenty of points in the J18-team. This season, barring any surprises, he'll play top 6 and you'll se his stats improving rapidly.

He's a great skater, has good size and hits well enough. He can play center or wing and backchecks like a devil.

I sure don't know if he'll make it, but contrary to some other folks I've seen him play 30-40 or so games and I like what I see.

PuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckOut View Post
A lot of Ludwig Blomstrand experts in here...

He played 4th line on Djurgården J20 since the team was stacked. If you take a closer look at his stats you'd see that he produced plenty of points in the J18-team. This season, barring any surprises, he'll play top 6 and you'll se his stats improving rapidly.

He's a great skater, has good size and hits well enough. He can play center or wing and backchecks like a devil.

I sure don't know if he'll make it, but contrary to some other folks I've seen him play 30-40 or so games and I like what I see.
Thanks for the report! Pretty much impossible for any of us to watch the swedish junior leagues (the SEL and SEL-2 are at least somewhat easier to watch if you know where to look or have friends in Sweden/Europe).

Old
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
He needs a von to fully round out his colorful name. Ludwig von Blomstrand.
Is there any way he can become a Baron too? Baron Ludwig von Blomstrand would be perfect.

Thanks for the report Puckout, great to hear.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote