HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 3: Pick #72 (Steven Fogarty, C/W)

Old
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Blue Line Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
No how many times do we have to tell people Jerry York runs his ice-time based on Seniority instead of talent. No matter how talented Kreider is, as long as he is an underclassmen, he gets "underclassmen" minutes.

Let's see how Kreider does next year being a Junior and being the go-to-guy on the first line
People have just taken this idea and run with it so now almost everyone believes it. Everybody that I've seen comment on the situation that watches BC regularly has said that he's just not as good of a college player as a lot of his teammates.

Not sure why people need to have this built in excuse for him.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
People have just taken this idea and run with it so now almost everyone believes it. Everybody that I've seen comment on the situation that watches BC regularly has said that he's just not as good of a college player as a lot of his teammates.
Luckily, he has excelled on the international stage playing among some of the best players in the world among his age group. So I'm not too phased by the less than ideal NCAA production. Hoping for a big year from him this year and I'm sure he is as well.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Of course not. Come on...

And like even if he did, you can't score if you aren't on the first line??? It's not basketball you know. Like Cally could score even with Gabby infron of him. A 38 yo Shanny could score with JJ infront of him.

Kreider have not produced in college because while having wheels he has basically no understanding of the offensive game. He cannot run a PP to save his life. He has no creativity. He is as creative as a subway, he goes in straight lines up and down his wing.

Why, why would you give a kid like that 1st line minutes? Perfect 2nd lineer, nit the goto guy offensively. Seniority my arse.

Kreider is doing the right thing staying because to max his potential he needs to work on the mentioned areas.
It's not based on that. When you are given 12 minutes a game because you are an underclassmen, it doesn't matter what line you are on. You can't produce much when you aren't on the ice enough. Not saying there aren't things he needs to work on, he isn't a complete player yet, I concede to that, but at the same time, you can't get better and produce more if you aren't given the ice-time required to do so.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Noreau has an interview on Blueshirts United
No interview with McColgan?

Old
06-25-2011, 07:30 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
No how many times do we have to tell people Jerry York runs his ice-time based on Seniority instead of talent. No matter how talented Kreider is, as long as he is an underclassmen, he gets "underclassmen" minutes.

Let's see how Kreider does next year being a Junior and being the go-to-guy on the first line
if he was too good for college hockey he would have player more. to think otherwise is ****ing moronic. if sidney crosby right now....who is too good for college hockey was at BC he'd ****ing play all the time even if he was 14 years old.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:47 PM
azrok22

Gordie Clark must've really liked him. In this interview, he explains that the plan was to take him in the 2nd round before we traded the picks for Erixon, and we had even discussed the possibility of packaging pick #45 and #57 together to move up in the second round to do so if we got the feeling he'd be gone.

On the one hand, that's a bit concerning considering where he actually went, but on the other hand, it speaks to how highly Clark thinks of him.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...ee-agency.html

EDIT: Clark thinks he's underrated due to the sheer number of teams in Minnesota, and views his upside as top 2 line material. He is especially impressed with his ability to move the puck/playmaking, and notes that Fogarty has already grown to 6'3" since the end of the hockey season.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:54 PM
RangerBlues

BIG TIME hat tip to JD for giving the Rangers the opportunity to grab this kid. Still shows there are no hard feelings.
OHHHHBABY do I still love and miss him.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
if he was too good for college hockey he would have player more. to think otherwise is ****ing moronic. if sidney crosby right now....who is too good for college hockey was at BC he'd ****ing play all the time even if he was 14 years old.
But you can't compare Kreider to Crosby...

Old
06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
BIG TIME hat tip to JD for giving the Rangers the opportunity to grab this kid. Still shows there are no hard feelings.
OHHHHBABY do I still love and miss him.
You just wanted a reason to crush on him didn't you

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
You just wanted a reason to crush on him didn't you
Think that just flew over my head.
Im not hating on anybody.
Whats there not to like about the kid?

Old
06-25-2011, 08:32 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Think that just flew over my head.
Im not hating on anybody.
Whats there not to like about the kid?
I think he meant mancrush.

Either way, I like what I hear about this kid.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:39 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
I think he meant mancrush.

Either way, I like what I hear about this kid.
Perhaps im just getting old LOL.
I can always find a reason to throw some love at JD

Old
06-26-2011, 12:05 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Just watched the Gorton video. They definitely thought VERY highly of this kid. Enough so where they were upset they'd have no second round pick to get him because they had to give both up in the Erixon deal.

I'm excited, but hey it's the post draft afterglow, every kid we draft is going to be a star!

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:19 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Just watched the Gorton video. They definitely thought VERY highly of this kid. Enough so where they were upset they'd have no second round pick to get him because they had to give both up in the Erixon deal.

I'm excited, but hey it's the post draft afterglow, every kid we draft is going to be a star!
Yeah, considering he was still able to draft him it's almost like we didn't actually give up both 2nd rounders for Erixon.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:14 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post

One way to look at it is that, in the minds of Ranger brass, they got a player they believed was a 2nd round pick, and high on their draft board. (I think Gorton said that they had him ranked at the end of the first round.) So, in essence, they believe they added a 2nd rounder, which almost makes the Grachev deal return a 2nd round pick. Time will tell, but, if this kid is the equivalent of Derek Stepan, (as I've seen suggested), the deal was worth it. IMO, don't even put a timetable on either Fogarty or Miller. There's no rush to get them into NY. Just let them fully develop and see where they are in 3-4 years. I do not believe we will see instant gratification from this year's draft, but, I believe, if the proper patience is shown, the Rangers have a chance to be nicely rewarded.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Blueblood 2

Best pick in our draft. Our round one pick has less chance at first line potential than this kid. Check back in four years! Both are future NHL'ers. Miller likely sooner. Two out of the bunch is not bad and a couple of the others could be long shot home runs, as well. Love what we did.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In an alternative universe, the Rangers could have dealt both their second round picks for Fogarty, not Erixon.

Potentially, we got Erixon instead of Grachev. Or at worst, it's Grachev+2 for Erixon since we would have used one of the seconds on Fogarty anyway. Excellent return.

That said, i am always concerned with fallers. Why does the whole league think less of him?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
In an alternative universe, the Rangers could have dealt both their second round picks for Fogarty, not Erixon.

Potentially, we got Erixon instead of Grachev. Or at worst, it's Grachev+2 for Erixon since we would have used one of the seconds on Fogarty anyway. Excellent return.

That said, i am always concerned with fallers. Why does the whole league think less of him?
The thing is I'm not sure how much he really fell. On the one hand Gordie said in his interview that they were very high on him and prior to the Erixon deal they were trying to figure out which of their 2nds they would have to use to get him...and when they decided to do the deal for Erixon they were resigned to the fact that they likely just lost out on Fogerty. That he was still on the board at 72 (where they could do the deal with St. Louis) was a thrill for them. His main explanation was that there is a ton of hockey being played in MN, with teams all over the place, and some very good kids are sprinkled throughout and sometimes hard to find. On the other hand, when Fogerty was interviewed he repeated how shocked he was to go so high. He said he wasn't even planning on coming out to the draft, but that he only decided to since it was in his own backyard so to speak. So you have the Rangers thinking he's a second rounder and the kid himself thinking he's perhaps a late 3rd or even 4th rounder. As with all picks...time will tell. But regardless, I'm happy we had the guts to move a guy (Grachev) who we felt had stalled, for a guy who the organization collectively feels has tremendous promise.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Still shocked with this pick.

I loved this kid going into the draft and the Ranger's pro scouting staff made moves to make sure they landed him. Tippin' my hat and I don't care, tippin' my hat and I don't care.......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Delete.

Last edited by Clowes Line: 06-26-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Any scouting reports on Fogarty besides Gordie's interview? As well as scouting reports, I'd like to hear your inputs on what his potential is, pros/cons, what he needs to work at, what he is great at, what current NHLer and/or Ranger would you compare him to, etc...

Old
06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, considering he was still able to draft him it's almost like we didn't actually give up both 2nd rounders for Erixon.
i tend to roll my eyes and call bs anytime a team claims 'zomg this is the guy we wanted and can't believe he fell to us' they say it way too often for it to actually be true all the time...but it would be great if it was true this time and would make a great deal (erixon) even better

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:06 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
not sure how this kid can be labeled a faller. the rangers say they were high on him but did anyone even have him in their top 100? i haven't found a single draft preview that had him in the top 100. even fogarty himself in an interview with jim cerny said he didn't think he'd go as high as he did....

he might have 'fallen' from where the rangers had him ranked (if you believe them) but if anything i'd say we took him higher than most expected.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:23 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Watching that video, those Edina jerseys are GORGEOUS. wish I could buy one.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He went from 132 to 90 on CSB's final list. He was the 2nd Minnesota HS player taken even though he was ranked behind a whole lot of other guys who were being considered higher end talents.

I hate doing these things but this kid has me excited:
Kreider-Fogarty-Thomas
Size/Speed-Instincts-Finish

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote