HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 4: Pick #106 (Michael St. Croix, W)

Old
06-25-2011, 02:24 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Lets not put the cart before the horse now

I really wanted Grimaldi. A smaller player who can score.. So if this kid is being mentioned in the same sentence as Grimaldi in ANY sense.. then I am very happy with the pick. I mean its just a fourth round pick (we throw these in in EVERY trade proposal as fodder lol) so I am thrilled we took a chance AND got the kid so low in the draft
I don't want any part of Grimaldi. Read his twitter... he seems like a bit of a nut.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I like the pick and he seems like a talented player, but if he was that good, don't you think he would of went earlier?
He was ahead of RNH in scoring up until janaury and was also +23 at the time compared to RNH +14 Oil kings were also fighting for playoff spot while Red Deer was 3rd in the whl St. Croix suffered a mild concussion and never recovered the torrid pace he was on. He was on pace for `100 points when it happened. He picked it up again for a little stretch late in the season. Most of the heavy scouting is done on players after the new year. His brother is also 6'3 so He is not done growing IMO Put it this way as far as pure skill goes for Centers it would rank like this. RNH Strome ST.Croix. Just mark my words he will be a offensive dynamo in the League. Go check you tube on this kids plays

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
hollenbeezy

Interesting that they talked about St. Croix in the same breath as RNH. I just don't know enough about him to opine one way or another.

I wonder why they passed on Marek Tvrdon here. Kid would have dominated the WHL had he not suffered that knee injury. Who grabs him? Detroit, of course.

hollenbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

his game by game stats . If you look at how he was dominating from november into new year when injury slowed him down http://www.whl.ca/roster/gamebygame/id791/ls-season/236

Old
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
ocarina

There's more to a prospect then his stats. RNH has always been the much better prospect, because of his speed and vision. By comparison, St. Croix doesn't seem to have as much of that.

The numbers are nice, but there seem to be some question marks on the other aspects of his game.

Again, I don't mean to trash him, I'm happy we took him in the 4th round, but I think it's important to keep things in perspective.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Ranger fans I just wanted to comment on M St. Croix I am a season ticket holder for the Edmonton Oil kings. This kid skill level is not far behind RNH I have watched hockey for 41 Years and this kid is a player his puckhandling skills are elite his passing above average. Decent shot He was a highly touted bantam player and has excelled every where he has played. He also was consistantly in the top 7 in scoring in the dub ahead of the likes of RNH Till an injury after slowed him down for rest of season. He will be a very good playmaking center in the league. This is a stealth pick.
Thank you Sir.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:34 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I don't want any part of Grimaldi. Read his twitter... he seems like a bit of a nut.
Interesting to read also on Puck Daddy that his over-religious-ness scared off some teams.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thank you Sir.
No prob but the best way to put it when he is dominating the whl scoring leaders next season bar a return from Hopkins . All the talk about him will be how could this kid be overlooked like this

Old
06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
My favorite pick outside of Miller. This kid will be absolute dynamite. A filthy playmaker, I thought he was going to go at the end of the 2nd round for sure.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:10 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:04 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

He's a smaller player who seems to have dominated one of the better leagues for junior players to be in. IMO the WHL is the best league of any junior leagues in Canada. I think he'll have a Christian Thomas like explosion this upcoming season, barring any injures or setbacks.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

If this guy becomes a legitimate NHLer, I am getting his jersey.

Any name with "Saint" attached to it is pretty bad***.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
NYRKING30

this kid sounds like an absolute steal. great job by the staff. lets hope this kid can pan out

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:42 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Here's my report on St. Croix for ya

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html

Quote:
#12 Michael St. Croix – FW – Edmonton Oil Kings

- St. Croix is one of the most explosive players to come out of the WHL this season. He can break a game open with his slick moves as he comes across the goal line, can find a player sneaking in the back door or can burn the goalie with a quickly released, rocket shot. Those are the good things he does. He tends to play a little too much on the outside of the play from time to time and hasn’t shown enough commitment to get greasy to score. The skill is there and when he does go to the blue ice, he gets rewarded more often than not. As with most players his age, his defensive play has some holes and he would be a much better prospect if he showed more all-round hustle in his game. His play away from the puck raises some concerns because he might end up being a player that’s not quite good enough to be a top 6 forward, but not gritty enough to be a bottom 6 forward. The skill is there for St. Croix and he should get a couple more years to show it off with a high profiled, up and coming roster of prospects with the Edmonton Oil Kings.

NHL comparable: Danny Briere (regular season edition)

Top end potential: Top 6 winger

Pick prediction: 3rd round

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
CM PUNK

stixy18 Michael St. Croix
Excited to be part of the Ranger's Organization. Thanks for all the support and help along the way!
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Here's my report on St. Croix for ya

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html
never read your blog before. but the comparisons for st croix and mccolgan to briere and gionta made it move a little

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:06 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Was he not at the draft? No video/pics of him so i'm assuming no.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Pizza

This kid really has me curious. How does a guy supposedly THIS talented drop to the 4th round? In his interview Clark said he does not know how he dropped so far. I don't get it at all, but I'm glad we got him. Gonna watch this guy real closely.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This kid really has me curious. How does a guy supposedly THIS talented drop to the 4th round? In his interview Clark said he does not know how he dropped so far. I don't get it at all, but I'm glad we got him. Gonna watch this guy real closely.

Savard was monstrously talented and with 139 points as a 17 year old, everyone knew he can score and especially pass.

But he was small, slow and bad defensively, so he slipped.to round 4.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:18 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=812432

Reading this thread is promising, although it is only really 2-3 guys continuously hyping him up. Still, take away those guys and at the beginning of the season there were a lot of people high on St. Croix. There must be something other than he's a little small and has to learn some defensive parts of the game? I try not to get my hopes up for guys like this, maybe someone can fill me in on what the knock on him is.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=812432

Reading this thread is promising, although it is only really 2-3 guys continuously hyping him up. Still, take away those guys and at the beginning of the season there were a lot of people high on St. Croix. There must be something other than he's a little small and has to learn some defensive parts of the game? I try not to get my hopes up for guys like this, maybe someone can fill me in on what the knock on him is.
Don't know how much we should be drinking the koolaid but Gordie Clark said in the interview after the draft that he had no idea why he fell...

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:08 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Savard was monstrously talented and with 139 points as a 17 year old, everyone knew he can score and especially pass.

But he was small, slow and bad defensively, so he slipped.to round 4.
I hear ya on the Savard comparisons, but St. Croix isn't even THAT small. He's 5'11", which is just fine for today's NHL, much less for a guy who was just picked. Unlike McColgan, he doesn't need a Dubi-like growth spurt or St. Louis's knack for playing against larger players. He just needs some time with Reg Grant. VERY happy with this pick.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:46 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I hear ya on the Savard comparisons, but St. Croix isn't even THAT small. He's 5'11", which is just fine for today's NHL, much less for a guy who was just picked. Unlike McColgan, he doesn't need a Dubi-like growth spurt or St. Louis's knack for playing against larger players. He just needs some time with Reg Grant. VERY happy with this pick.
I love the first four picks and the Rangers' approach this weekend...two big, playmaking centers, (Clark and Gorton both seem to believe that center is Miller's best position), followed by two highly forwards with boom potential, marred only by a lack of height. And all four have strong work ethics. In the Clark interview, he talked about St. Croix's persistence, that, in the playoffs, when his team was losing, some of his teammates packed it in, but, St. Croix never gave up. That's a big theme among the forwards the Rangers drafted, and fits in with the current mindset.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm with Jon on this one. It's a solid value pick, but there are some legitimate concerns. He's either a top six player, or he's a minor leaguer. It'll be interesting to see how he turns out, with attractive prospects like Shalunov, Jacobs, and Rieder still on the board. I guess I would have been happy with any of the 4, but I don't know that St. Croix would have been first on my list among them.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I hope not, I really do not like it when prospects go the college route. This is not a sleight at Kreider or anyone who chooses that route, but I would prefer that our prospects develop in Juniors or professionally in Europe. I just think that development gets stunted in College Hockey.
For top forward prospects I would definitely agree with you. For players that project to be average or above average, or are defenseman, college can be a decent route to go. However I do feel that the college game does not develop the individual skills necessary for forwards to become elite players. It's still early in JVR's career, but I think the diverging paths between his career and, say, Patrick Kane's, is an excellent example of this.

As for St. Croix, he projects IMO as a "tweener" - not good enough to be top 6 in the NHL, not physical enough to be bottom 6, and probably a very good AHL player. But this pick has upside and he was ranked higher than he was drafted, so I can't really complain much here.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote