HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 5: Pick #136 (Samuel Noreau, D)

Old
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
andrew2

vCash: 500
I'm friends with sam and his family, you guys couldn't have drafted a beetter kid.. While hes known for his toughness don't be surprised if his overall game comes around, the kid works harder than anyone I know. He's ALWAYS working on his shot in his driveway. He's also closer to 6'6 and 220.. Last time I saw him he looked like a beast.

andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Lucky Luke

At only 17 years old, Noreau went toe-to-toe with a lot of 19 year olds last season and was arguably the best fighter in the QMJHL.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:09 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Player: Samuel Noreau

POSITION: DEFENSEMAN
SHOOTS: RIGHT
HEIGHT: 6' 4"
WEIGHT: 206
BORN: JANUARY 31, 1993
BORN IN: MONTREAL, QC, CAN
DRAFTED: NYR (5TH ROUND / 136TH OVERALL)

Stats:

2010-2011 Baie Comeau QMJHL 67 5G 5A 10P 141PIM

Notable Reports:

(Bruins Draft Watch)

Noreau is a 6-5, 215-pound tough-as-nails punisher who doesn't have much in the way of high-end skill, but has the size and nastiness to be a shutdown guy in time. He's not a bad skater, though needs to work on his lateral movement and pivots/turns like many big players on D. This dude can really fight, too. With his size and strength, he ragdolls guys and stands in and throws them against the tougher comers/enforcers in the Q. (Noreau is #8 in the red and white)

He gets very little notice on a poor team, but stay-at-home guys with legitimate toughness are always in demand on NHL teams' bottom pairing, and Noreau is someone who, with the right amount of patience and developmental time in the minors, could evolve into a functional 6th/7th in time.
So the eliteprospects are totaly wrong here, listed him as 21 year old C? Also they clamed he was drafted 3 years ago by the Huricanes
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19074

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:52 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
So the eliteprospects are totaly wrong here, listed him as 21 year old C? Also they clamed he was drafted 3 years ago by the Huricanes
Different player.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Kid needs to work on his mobility, there were some great players on the board when we made this pick, would have rathered if we went for another home run swing at forward.
Not really. Most if not all of the players past the second half of the second round are real question marks. I don't mind this kind of a pick. He either develops or not and if he does he'll get some ice time even if it's as a bottom pairing guy. Last year's McNaught choice was much worse. Great, great fighter but he's not got anything else. His upside is Derek Boogaard. Noreau actually plays for his team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Ranger Angst

Love this pic , also watch the interview with Cerny. Seems like a really nice kid with a great attitude. The Rangers are going to become one nasty team if half these guys make it.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:25 PM
NYR Viper

I think his upside would be Matt Carkner, and I would LOVE to have Matt Carkner on the 3rd pairing. Yet another warrior.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
that link is for Samuel Moreau...we picked Samuel Noreau

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:29 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
that link is for Samuel Moreau...we picked Samuel Noreau
They have edited the link now. He was listed as NYR pick. Never seen that,a player drafted by 2 teams in one leauge.
Should have understanded they where wrong on this one.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Can't say that I've seen more than maybe one game with this kid, so I don't want to comment on him specifically, but I'm a tad pissed that they didn't use this pick to select Max Friberg, who was still on the board.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Jxmarts

This kid is one of the better young fighters I've ever seen...

When you watch junior players fight, especially 17 or 18 year olds, you'll find some big strapping kids who exhibit toughness & willingness, and you project how well they might turn out 5 years down the road. Very few of them have good technique at their age. But Sam Noreau fights like a mature Dave Brown already... accurate, powerful punching with very little wasted energy. If his game develops to where he can be an adequate 3rd pairing D-man, he could be a very valuable asset to a team.

Balance is good. If you draft St.Croix & McColgan, and you have numerous smaller players like Hagelin, Zuccarello, Bourque, Thomas, Fasth & Audy-Marchessault in your system already, it makes sense to have some heavyweights in your system as well. Ideally they should be able to play at least a little as well as fight, e.g. Boston's Adam McQuaid, Milan Lucic, Shawn Thornton...

Last edited by Jxmarts: 06-26-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
This kid is one of the better young fighters I've ever seen...

When you watch junior players fight, especially 17 or 18 year olds, you'll find some big strapping kids who exhibit toughness & willingness, and you project how well they might turn out 5 years down the road. Very few of them have good technique at their age. But Sam Noreau fights like a mature Dave Brown already... accurate, powerful punching with very little wasted energy. If his game develops to where he can be an adequate 3rd pairing D-man, he could be a very valuable asset to a team.

Balance is good. If you draft St.Croix & McColgan, and you have numerous smaller players like Hagelin, Zuccarello, Bourque, Thomas, Fasth & Audy-Marchessault in your system already, it makes sense to have some heavyweights in your system as well. Ideally they should be able to play at least a little as well as fight, e.g. Boston's Adam McQuaid, Milan Lucic, Shawn Thornton...
Pretty well stated. I youtubed some of his fights and just poking around at random--he is one seriously tough fighter. If he can improve as a player to the point where he can take a bottom pairing spot he could be a major asset for the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Synergy27

The audio/commentary quality in his fight clips on Youtube made me laugh, so I support this pick.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Redline does a Soctiety of Plastic Surgeons Trophy every year. This year Noreau was ranked the 3rd as Toughest Player/Best Fighter.

They had this to say about him..."He is what were looking for in an enforcer. He's huge, and he arrives at the dance early and in ill humor"

Incidently Biggs was ranked 4th.

He was ranked 136th and they also had this to say about him.

"Enforcer- bashes heads together like coconuts!"

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:55 PM
E-Train

This kid will be scary when fills out that frame. Really impressed with his resume against 19 year olds last season.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Orr Nightmare

Man, I pray this kid works out....we can put McNasty and this kid on two seperate pairings and they can do all the heavy lifting.

If his agility is his biggest concern then Barb can work on that with him.

He seems tough as nails and a very big boy. If we just drafted Carkner, then we have a steal.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Troy Vance, 6'6 Dman from Goshen NY was drafted right before Noreau. I had Vance as a sleeper in this draft. IMO, he's the better Dman, Noreau's the better fighter. It'll be interesting to see who becomes the better Pro player.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote