HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 03:08 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
trade PK are you insane?

Old
06-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Dude, Gomez has as close to negative value as you can possibly reach. If he returns anything higher than a third or fourth, we should be elated. The only way we acquire something significant for him is if the GM we trade for his looking to get fired.
The Avs GM seems he wants to get fired. With all the terrible signings and trades he's done since this past season. But they also have plenty of cap space, more than the Yotes, a bit over then 16mil. Avs do have a lot of centers as opposed to the Yotes. All in all, I doubt we manage to shop Gomez.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I didn't say that Desharnais played on wing though did I. I said the three of them played together for a short period of time.

So I must be imagining this then? Either that or I'm going to have to contract Dobber and tell him that the "Line Combos" section of his site is incorrect.

1.14% EV 58 DESHARNAIS,DAVID - 81 ELLER,LARS - 46 KOSTITSYN,ANDREI

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

I will agree though that Moen did look good with Eller & Kostitsyn and that Darche could as well. Though I don't see the benefits of sticking Desharnais on the 4th line. I'd much rather having a checking type center filling that role.
They may not have played together if their lines had been rolling with Desharnai's line after Eller/Kostitsyn or vise versa. If you look at the description of the dobber line combo tool, it says:

Quote:
Numbers represent on-ice line occurrences compiled from NHL play-by-play events.

So when a team is in the middle of a line change in a sense that a player or two managed to get off but the third forward didn't, and there's a shot attempt, or a hit, or a penalty, or a giveaway, etc., that will be considered an "event" with the players on the ice as a line. Once you get down to somewhere under 2% or so the line combination tool uses some of its utility.

That's not to say they didn't play together as a planned line. With the way Martin had to juggle his lines last year it wouldn't surprise me if he tried Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn. I can't say I recall it.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:45 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Look at the Campbell trade. Trade TERRIBLE contract/decent player for bad contract/bad player. So we're looking to get a contract like Olesz.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:48 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Okay that's more clear now. Anyways, even though he's not good at fighting, Subban delivers a lot of hard checks (Hello Marshmont) and isn't afraid to do so.

I can understand that Gomez is not the perfect center for us, but at least, he adds some depth and I'm sure he can have a okay campaing next year. Plus, he elevates his game (Hm okay, it depends !) during the playoffs, where he can be an important asset to have, having the experience. I sure would like to see him go if we can replace him with somebody equally better or better like Richards, but dreams are meant to be dreamed.
That's not hard to find.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Gainey#1*

Everyone needs to cowboy up and realize that Gomez is not going anywhere.

END. OF. STORY.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
So you see Turris and OEL as better than Gomez?

Am I alone thinking Gomez skates fast as hell is after him, can play two-way and has a clutch in PO.

What is the value of Gomez on the current UFA market?
Anyone uses Gomez Scap as a base for a trade is wrong.
Actually, the fact he is costing less than his SCap is very inreresting for half of the league.

Hanzal is the best in this list but you could add Rosival...

Point is: Bisonnette + OEL can probably match OEL.

Question is: what do you offer for OEL?
Gomez + what (PK, MaxPac, AK) for OEL?

most UFA raises are based on their last 1 or 2 seasons, so Gomez would be offered the contract of a +/- 40 pts player...

every team has to base their decisions on salary cap, some even have internal cap lower than the NHL cap... so yeah his salary and cap hit affect his value... just like it affected the return Hawks got in the Campbell trade.

11-12 season he will not cost less than his cap hit.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:03 AM
billy piton

gomez had a lousy season, but he is still legitimate top6 center. we can't dump him for nothing because the only better ufa option is brad richards and he will sign somewhere else.

i love dd and eller but they are not ready yet for top 6 duties. our depth down the middle would suffer badly if we trade gomez.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:10 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Am I alone thinking Gomez skates fast as hell is after him, can play two-way and has a clutch in PO.
Sure, he is fast. He is elite at gaining entry into the opponents end. The problem is, he is pure **** when it comes to actually making a play in the offensive zone. He's responsible defensively but it's not enough to make up for his lack of offense and insane contract. On top of that, 4 assists in 7 games is not clutch in the playoffs.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:37 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That wasn't my point BC. You said they had never played together as a line, and I provided proof that they did. That's all I was trying to do.

I see your point BC, I would just like to try something different. We don't have the players to form a true checking line, or an energy line that would come close to rivaling the ones you listed.

Which is why I would rather Desharnais be moved up to play with Eller and Kostitsyn to form more of an offensive 3rd line. While moving Moen down to the 4th line with Pyatt/Darche and White. Allowing that line to be a little tougher. Giving White some back up (Moen) if/when he starts getting himself in trouble.
Unless I was so tired I blew what I was writing, the point I was trying to make was that the Eller-Kostitsyn combo that everyone says they liked and which had Eller as CENTER, did not have DD on the wing.

In response to your point here, if for any reason we DID want to put Eller, AK46 and DD together, I would strongly recommend moving Eller to wing, not DD. Desharnais will get killed out there if he has to win board battles all the time. Also he has the better offensive vision of the two youngsters.

As for whether we have the type of players to make an energy line, I think that a fourth line of say Desharnais at center giving it his all for 10 minutes a game, with Darche and White on the wings could indeed create some energy and pot some goals too, especially if they play against guys who are there for muscle and not brains.

Where we may differ is that IMO to be true contender a club should have a checking line that can neutralize the first or second line of the opponent. This is what we had in Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt, and it enabled us to have either the Pleks or Gomez line match up against a lesser line most of the time, meaning that either Cammalleri or Gionta was getting some room to roam.

Down the road if Gomez is moved (which would likely be AFTER this year), maybe Desharnais could become our #2 offensive center playing with decent-sized wingers, while Eller tries to round out his game and become another Jordan Staal, strong defensively with size and speed. We could then give Eller good positionally-aware defensive wingers with speed, like Gionta and Pyatt. This line may be worth its weight in gold, generating goals off the counter-attack and smothering the opponents' scoring opportunities. The trio could play against anyone and not be outmatched, allowing the coach to insulate the Desharnais line a bit, giving them more offensive opportunity without expecting them to have to focus primarily on defence.

That would allow us to make a top three lines of something like:
Plekanec-Leblanc or UFA-Cammalleri
Desharnais-Kostitsyn or replacement-Pacioretty
Eller-Gionta-Pyatt

the fourth line could be:
White
Darche (if still here)
xxx probably replacing Moen

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 06-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old
06-26-2011, 06:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Look at the Campbell trade. Trade TERRIBLE contract/decent player for bad contract/bad player. So we're looking to get a contract like Olesz.
Olesz isn't much worse than Gomez.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

END. OF. STORY.
I suppose you were posting the same on the Chicago board 2 days ago?

I think the odds of Gomez moving right now are less than 50%, but I'm glad PG is seeing what's out there.

I think next year is a better fit...why?

1-there would probably be better options as #2 center, including maybe Eller if he has a year like Pacioretty did last year.

2-after this year his salary drops dramatically and his cap stays the same, that makes him very attractive because of the rising floor

3-odds are the he rebounds, look at his career record, he's only 31 and it's not a stretch that he bounces back to around 60 points...if taht happens his negative value might turn into positive.

4-The cap room will be needed more next summer with lots of our kids needing raises.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:39 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I suppose you were posting the same on the Chicago board 2 days ago?

I think the odds of Gomez moving right now are less than 50%, but I'm glad PG is seeing what's out there.

I think next year is a better fit...why?

1-there would probably be better options as #2 center, including maybe Eller if he has a year like Pacioretty did last year.

2-after this year his salary drops dramatically and his cap stays the same, that makes him very attractive because of the rising floor

3-odds are the he rebounds, look at his career record, he's only 31 and it's not a stretch that he bounces back to around 60 points...if taht happens his negative value might turn into positive.

4-The cap room will be needed more next summer with lots of our kids needing raises.
If Pacs can continue to develop to a 25-30 + goal scorer,than Gomez can push 55-60 pts.As much as the contract is a joke,31 isn't old,he does have playmaking talent,and imo he gives a big effort nightly. Plus we have no one ready to take a top 2 center role.7 goals and 17 pts by Eller and coming off shoulder injury doesn't fill me w/confidence in that role.Hopefully in 1-13 he may be

Old
06-26-2011, 08:42 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

END. OF. STORY.
Exactly. Gomez has a massively negative trade value despite all the non-sense written in this thread.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Maxpac

Pam19 has lost all credibility to me with his posts in this thread. Not Mather how massively too long it is to read, trading PK or thinking if getting back OEL by trading Gomez is a lack of knowledge, period.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:53 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Pam19 has lost all credibility to me with his posts in this thread. Not Mather how massively too long it is to read, trading PK or thinking if getting back OEL by trading Gomez is a lack of knowledge, period.
seconded

No way in a million years is Gomez worth OEL.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:54 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Adam-...enix/155/36651

It's not eklund, but is adam french reliable? He says it's an RDS writer that's reporting it, but I haven't seen it on RDS.
I will believe when I see it. The problem I see with this scernario is Phoenix shelling out the 8 million bucks for this season. Next year this time this trade would be a lot more likely. Big cap hit like Gomez 7.37 million for team to reach cap floor without having to fork over the big money, only pay Gomez 4.5 million.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Teufelsdreck

Bah humbug to the rumor! The Coyotes are just hanging on financially. Bryzgalov had better value than Gomez and if they couldn't afford Bryzgalov, why should they want an even more expensive Gomez?

Old
06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bah humbug to the rumor! The Coyotes are just hanging on financially. Bryzgalov had better value than Gomez and if they couldn't afford Bryzgalov, why should they want an even more expensive Gomez?
The Yotes still need to spend to the cap floor.

I think the idea is that financially, Gomez might be attractive to a team like Phoenix because his cap hit is high (7.4M or whatever it is) but the actual money they would be on the hook for is lower in comparison (think his final two years are 5.5 and 4.5 or something for that).

But I agree, it's still incredibly unlikely he moves.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
The Coyotes board seem open to taking Gomez.
By the Coyotes board do you mean the baseball fan who mistakenly stumbled onto the hockey site and thought Gomez was the Dominican short stop?

Old
06-26-2011, 09:35 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
In the below analysis of Gomez, it states that he is a 2 or 3 trick pony that opposing coaches have figured out how to neutralize:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...mez-connundrum
That article pretty much sums up the problem that Gomez has been progressively facing the last few years. If he doesn't change his game, he is done.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Exactly. Gomez has a massively negative trade value despite all the non-sense written in this thread.
Brian Campbell's trade gives your response zero credibility. If that contract in money and years can be traded, anyone of those big deals can be traded now.

Gomez like Campbell is still a very serviceable player, unlike the injured Drury, the injury prone and now 1 year removed Souray and the one year removed Redden.

There are a lot of teams needing to get to the cap floor; Florida, Colorado, Winnipeg, NY Islanders, Phoenix, Dallas, Carolina and Nashville.

A team like Colorado would be ideal for the Habs to trade with. If they could trade Gomez for Stastny (plus a bit more going the other way from Habs) it would allow the Habs to have two good centres in the top 6 with Pleks and Stastny, plus it comes in cheaper by a million per for the Habs and he is younger and more offensive.

It helps the Av's by adding some more cap, and it allows them to have the money next year and the year after towards the cap, but for a lower hit in the real bank book.

The deal would be ideal, won't happen. But, I think there are possibilities out there for a Stastny or Weiss type of deal for Gomez plus now.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:51 AM
otto bond

Quote:
I'm not saying that the Yotes are made of money but Bryz was looking longgggggg term (9year deal worth over 50 millions ) and Gomez has less then 18 million left on the table.
But like I said in previous posting, I would be shock to see Gomez go and more so to the Yotes.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I'm not so sure its that they couldnt afford it rather than him knowing they will never be a spender and not wanting to re-sign.

Quote:
I see value where you see none.
BG, PG and JM sees value but not you?

Remove Gomez and the team on the ice is less good.
Seems simple to me.

You should seperate value from cost.
And as far as cost is concerned... Gomer is 5.5M
Should distinguish Scap.

I see many distinctions in my mind: value, cost, SCap, Value in defense, value in leadership, value in offense, value to his teammates.

AFAIK, Gomez seems to be liked by his coach and his linemates.

All these guys have better judgment than me.
I am just a parrott here, just repeating what I see and hear.
Not on this board but in real life...
Here is a dream. On the ice, is real life!

I would be flagbergasted if PG would trade a top-6 for a fourth line player.
Of course, if we have 3 young players ready to take Gomez's place...
Then it is about cost.
First quality on the ice, then cost...
As the biggest Tom Pyatt fan in the world, even I wouldn't do that trade again. BG wouldn't. PG wouldn't. and JM isn't that stupid either. I don't even think Milbury is dumb enough to do that. Or Mike Keenan.

Higgins is a better player tha Gomez. Seriously.

McDonagh just makes it that much worse. Ugh.

Dude Scott Gomez had 38 points and is paid one of the highest contracts in the league. 38 points. ROMAN HAMRLIK had 4 less points. Seriously. He is quite honestly one of the worst players I have ever seen. I don't have the facts in front of me, but I would bet a lot of money that he was in the bottom-5 PROD's in the NHL (excluding defenseman and goalies, obviously).

Bottom-5 PROD rate w/ a top-15 contract w/ a horrible defensive game = absolute garbage.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
By the Coyotes board do you mean the baseball fan who mistakenly stumbled onto the hockey site and thought Gomez was the Dominican short stop?
hahaha

i dont know how much pull the coyotes board has with management, although it wouldnt shock me, considering the city spent what 30 million to keep them afloat

all seriousness, IF gomez is going to be moved, i wouldnt move him this year, itd be nice to get the contract gone, but we would be taking a step back

Closed Thread