HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rank the Habs draft

View Poll Results: Rank the Habs draft
A 14 7.29%
B 98 51.04%
C 63 32.81%
D 14 7.29%
E 3 1.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
So change the it works right now, because the reason why we and the majority take a people from there is because we have more time to wait before giving them a Pro contract. when everybody will be on the same line, things will be a lot different I think.
Trouble is even when the waiting period is over the late round High School and USHL kids, have still not been making it. You've got to go back to the Pavelski grand slam in 2003 or Burish in 2002 to see anything. Perhaps those leagues weren't overscouted back then... Kids drafted out of US Colleges that late end up playing in the NHL, not the ones from High Schools or the USHL.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Trouble is even when the waiting period is over the late round High School and USHL kids, have still not been making it. You've got to go back to the Pavelski grand slam in 2003 or Burish in 2002 to see anything. Perhaps those leagues weren't overscouted back then... Kids drafted out of US Colleges that late end up playing in the NHL, not the ones from High Schools or the USHL.
It's true. There are always a few standouts, and they'd deserve drafting for sure, but the vast majority of them are actually even worse than a craps shoot, looking at the success rate vs players picked from other avenues. It seems to me that it's that league, above all others, that makes physically mature young guys look artificially better than more skilled players who will be able to fill out before being asked to make the jump to pro. Also, it seems to be the #1 league where you really have to avoid getting blinded by prolific scoring by very undersized players. Everything else also considered, I would definitely advise against trying to hit so many late round homeruns in that league. USHL is pretty much the same.

Like you said, it's surely easier to have a higher success rate of draft pick->pro and consistently find better NHL players by taking chances on college freshmen, for example, that go unpicked rather than players from high school leagues. The progress and growth in that year or two difference pretty much defines the future of the player, and without being tested constantly against players more similar in size/development/speed/"experience" to those they'll meet at the next level, you have to be skeptical of what they'll be able to translate to the pros.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Beendair Donedat

I wanted Gauthier to draft McNeil and I stand by that still... The Habs have no forward prospects that look like they could be big power forwards at the NHL level and McNeil has that potential, and a Centerman to boot!

I seriously don't understand the Beaulieu selection, sure he might have been the BPA (stress the MIGHT) but McNeil is very talented and fits a Huge Gap in the Montreal lineup. Short term and long term. I guess time will tell.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:35 AM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I wanted Gauthier to draft McNeil and I stand by that still... The Habs have no forward prospects that look like they could be big power forwards at the NHL level and McNeil has that potential, and a Centerman to boot!

I seriously don't understand the Beaulieu selection, sure he might have been the BPA (stress the MIGHT) but McNeil is very talented and fits a Huge Gap in the Montreal lineup. Short term and long term. I guess time will tell.
As much I wished McNeill, you can be satisfied with Beaulieu at 17th. This time, we dont give up a 2nd rounder for a dman wich less upside. Yes McNeill could be a perfect match with the Habs need, but there's some risks with him also. In fact, he's one the only player who didnt receive an invitation for Team Canada WJC camp. It means nothing but Hockey Canada seams not to like him a lot. That said, pass McNeill for Beaulieu, Im ok, why not taking a sleeper this time. Pass Ambroz/Labate/Trvdon for Didier and Nygren, well its a poor choice but who am I to judge. Maybe my forwards will never make it

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:37 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
The Beaulieu pick was awesome A+, after that the picks were just plain goofy, it's like Timmins thinks he is smarter then everyone else and picks guys no one's heard of. The thing is he isn't smarter then everyone else
LOL. Timmins is a ****ing boss, dude knows his ****.

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:48 AM
LeMAD

Where's the option "I'm not a professinal scout, and I've never seen most of the players in the draft, so my opinion on the subject is worthless".

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
OneSharpMarble[/B];34084299]After the beating our small guys took last year they made no effort to add grit or strength. D- and it isnt an F only because Beaulieu might make the nhl.

Isn't OneSharpMarble a Maple-Leafs fan trolling here?

Just asking...I could be wrong! if I am...sorry. (just seems like everything that OneSharpMarble says is very negative and all anti-Hab, very anti-Hab, all anti-Hab...smells like a Leaf fan...like I wrote before...I could be wrong).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-26-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:19 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
Im pretty statisfy with the drat. Of course, we all want big center-wings because we have a massive lach there and it was tough to pass on some on them like McNeill the 1st day and Ambroz, Labate, Kessy,Tvrdon, Mersch, Noebels, Le Sieur, and some others smallers but talented like Boucher and Hudon in the 4th and 5th round but they should know what they do and if they pass on them like many gms around the league, there's a reason why. If I am the GM I would pick Labate, Ambroz and Kessy or Tvrdon in the 4th and everybody put A+ mark on the board, but right now everybody are pisted because we still have the hunger for a new MaxPac, a Carter or a Lucic.

That said, Gauthier said that he prefers to pick tiny players because a big player is maybe at his peak.... I realy dont like this statement. Should I understand that we'll always prefer a small player to a taller with same talent because we think the smaller can be automaticly better in the future. Strange!
IF true, that smaller player statement by PG is so asinine,that it just confirms what a total wimp and loser he is.Is he a masochist that gets off on seeing our players get pummeled on a nightly basis,win or lose ?

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Where's the option "I'm not a professinal scout, and I've never seen most of the players in the draft, so my opinion on the subject is worthless".
On HockeysPresentBoards.com

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:40 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
That should be around 99%.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:49 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I gave our draft a D. Felt we could have done better. As seen with '07 draft important to have a good draft.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs didn't get any immediate help from the draft but they eased my concerns about the future depth of their D.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:07 AM
RE-HABS

Gave the team a B. They obviously addressed a need in adding D as our prospects are really young and green, or getting past prospect age in Carle and Weber.

The only puzzling thing about drafting so many D this year is that isn't next year draft not only deeper, but supposedly a very good year for Dmen?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
don't know nearly enough about the prospects to make any kind of educated comment on the players we drafted outside of Beaulieu...

that said, despite my faith in Timmins, and his track record of success with later picks, there are a few question marks for me.

- hard to like the only move considering that we traded out of the 3rd round to get our 4th rounder back, along with another 4th. Was Sopel really that much of a need with Weber/Picard already there? did he really give us more than they could have? my feeling is no, making it another disappointing asset transaction

- it appears (though it may not be the case), that we drafted with organizational need valued above BPA... perhaps that is not the case, perhaps in each round we got the highest player on our scouting list and it just so happened to be heavily dmen... but the fact that our defensive prospect group is thin at least begs the question.
personally i prefer the BPA approach taking precedence. never know what kind of trade/roster move is around the corner which may completely change the strengths/holes in the depth charts, better players you have the more flexibility you have in making moves to address immediate needs (i.e, the draft should be about adding talent to the organization, not filling holes which is what free agency/trades should prioritize).
Bluntly speaking, Picard was inadequate. I have to assume that each pick was considered the BPA unless you know otherwise. Trading down to get more picks is a common strategy among GMs who see a depleted organization. If Gauthier had traded away the #17 pick for quantity in lower rounds I would consider it gambling but IMO it's a different story when 3rd, 4th, and lower rounds are involved.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
By not responding to the thread. Thing is, that option could be applied to every single thread in here. Who are we to judge Martin, Gauthier, any players out there? Who in here coached, managed or played the game at the highest level so they know what it takes to make it that far?

I love this board but this is just it.....a hockey board. We're not changing the world. Nor do any of those professionnals use our opinions to know what's best for the team. It's amateurs talking to other amateurs. Might as well have a little fun....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I gave our draft a D. Felt we could have done better. As seen with '07 draft important to have a good draft.
How do you know that? Can you be specific about each and every name on the list or are you just venting?

Old
06-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Protest the Hero

Timmins late round success is one of the best in the NHL I'd imagine. I would've liked to see some sexy picks too, but I trust this man more than my judgement.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
HCH

I have to rely on the scouting reports of others but I think the Habs did okay given the lack of a second round draft choice. One thing that pleased me is that the team did not waste a draft pick on a goaltender. To me that is always a wildcard and a lot of the great goaltenders were picked up in late rounds. Halak is a good example. I think the team can build organizational depth there by doggedly pursuing undrafted college and junior players.

The only pick that left me puzzled was Archambault who didn't seem to bring any special attribute to the rink. Everyone else seemed to have an intriguing quality that made me think maybe there was some potential.

As much as I would have loved a power forward I remember our teams of the the 70's that were built around goaltending and a strong mobile defense. Great defensemen can make average forwards look a lot better, I'm not so sure if it works as well the other way around.

I still believe Gauthier has a plan, much more so than any of our other GM's including Serge Savard. In a couple of years this team won't look anything like the one that took us to the conference final in 2010.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:25 AM
RC51

Well one thing for sure.
If I am already a hab prospect d-man I have just been told the Habs don't think I will break into the habs lineup ever

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Well one thing for sure.
If I am already a hab prospect d-man I have just been told the Habs don't think I will break into the habs lineup ever
Unless I work hard and play better than other players competing for a spot in the lineup.

PS. u still mad about perezhogin?

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I rate it A+ just for the meltdowns from people who have never seen these kids play a single game.

This. How can people grade the draft this early? And most of us don't even know these guys except for Beaulieu.

I sat A+ just for the Beaulieu pick. The rest are guys that have a very slim chance of making it, no matter who we would have selected. Without a 2nd, our draft success depended on our 1 st and we got a good one, so I'm happy.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

Many people question McNeil's skating and he as a good chance of being nothing more than a 3rd liner. They question is desire and work ethic also. No thanks!

Beaulieu as way more upsida and much better chance of being an NHL quality player.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By not responding to the thread. Thing is, that option could be applied to every single thread in here. Who are we to judge Martin, Gauthier, any players out there? Who in here coached, managed or played the game at the highest level so they know what it takes to make it that far?

I love this board but this is just it.....a hockey board. We're not changing the world. Nor do any of those professionnals use our opinions to know what's best for the team. It's amateurs talking to other amateurs. Might as well have a little fun....
Thank you for saying that, and reminding the masses that this board is for discussion, right or wrong. Do the people here not give opinions on anything in life?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:21 AM
habitue*

Aside Beaulieu, a good cast of players for the AHL in Hamilton.

Why not let the Bulldogs select their own players. It could not be worse.

And what was the idea to trade our third pick for two 4th round picks ? Better take the most talented than two less talented players.

Last edited by habitue*: 06-26-2011 at 10:39 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By not responding to the thread. Thing is, that option could be applied to every single thread in here. Who are we to judge Martin, Gauthier, any players out there? Who in here coached, managed or played the game at the highest level so they know what it takes to make it ....
Umm as fans we pay the massively inflated salaries these professionals enjoy. It costs me literally thousands of dollars to enjoy live games with the family at the Bell Center. That doesn't make me a professional but I think it does give me a right to voice my opinion about the direction the club is taking and it's overall performance.

As far as Martin goes we have the same number of Stanley cup rings although he's had many more opportunities professionally to earn one.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote