HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Pegula Has Bought the Amerks (Update - it's complete)

Old
06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Apparently this started pre-Pegula....hmm..

@MaineHockeyJournal

Deal for Sabres to purchase Amerks goes back before Pegula purchased Sabres. Petrovek estimated Nov. when talks began.
It's no secret that Golisano/Quinn wanted to buy the Americans even before the affiliation change...but for them to have started this process they either knew Pegula wanted both teams or something--it is out of character for them to try to buy the Amerks having extended their deal with Portland and knowing they'd have to spend quite some money to get out of that deal.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It's no secret that Golisano/Quinn wanted to buy the Americans even before the affiliation change...but for them to have started this process they either knew Pegula wanted both teams or something--it is out of character for them to try to buy the Amerks having extended their deal with Portland and knowing they'd have to spend quite some money to get out of that deal.
If he estimates NOV, didn't Pegula slowly but surely enter the picture months before that?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:56 PM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

Brian Petrovek Press Conference

Here is the full audio from the Brian Petrovek press conference on the Portland Pirates response to the announcement that Buffalo will now be affiliated with Rochester. Listen towards the end for the interesting answer Petro gave when asked what the timeline was. Indeed, the process seemed to have started well before everyone thought.

PORTLAND PIRATES PRESS CONFERENCE>>>>

JeffMESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Sabres moving affiliation back to Rochester
Published on: 24th June, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
Portland, ME – It sort of like your current girlfriend dumping you only to go back to their longtime ex.

After a three-year affiliation with the Portland Pirates, the Buffalo Sabres are heading back to Rochester, NY where they spent nearly three decades before coming to Portland in 2008.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
No, Portland needs to go far away from Florida. Good choice to saddle up with Phoenix, if that's the case. Lesser of two evils, I suppose.
I don't see why - not only is the travel cross country worse for call-ups to the NHL but with Dineen now handling the NHL Panthers, the familiarity with Portland (albeit new players) has to count for something...

Sabretip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:38 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I don't see why - not only is the travel cross country worse for call-ups to the NHL but with Dineen now handling the NHL Panthers, the familiarity with Portland (albeit new players) has to count for something...
The fact that they apparently aren't going with Florida, even with Dineen there, speaks for itself I think.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The fact that they apparently aren't going with Florida, even with Dineen there, speaks for itself I think.
I think the reason why Portland is going with Phoenix over Florida is monatary...

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Boose30

YES!!!! its about time, so happy.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
"Since we've been here, we never, ever hung out the 'For Sale' sign," Amerks President Lewis Staats told the Rochester newspaper. "Someone from their ownership group asked me directly if we were interested in selling. I passed that on to Curt [Amerks owner Curt Styres] and it went from there."
Quote:
The relationship was good, so much so that the Sabres signed a long-term extension to remain in Portland in March 2010. Obviously, they have worked their way out of the deal, with the Democrat and Chronicle reporting the Sabres paid the Pirates in excess of $100,000.

The Pirates were OK with losing the Sabres as long as they had a new affiliate in place, Pirates managing partner Brian Petrovek told reporters in Portland. They will hold a news conference Monday to announce a new partnership, reportedly with Phoenix.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle466887.ece

Old
06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Makes me wonder if Golisano/Quinn urged Pegula to purchase the Amerks as part of the deal to buy the Sabres.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Reuniting the Amerks and Sabres essentially had been a goal of the league ever since late October, when it became apparent Rochester management couldn't see eye-to-eye with the Florida Panthers.
Quote:
Pegula's management team wants to enhance efforts to regionalize the Sabres' brand. By owning and stocking the Amerks, the Sabres name will be even more prominent in Rochester.

The Sabres were the Amerks' sole parent team from 1979-80 through the 2005-06 season, and shared the affiliation with the Panthers the next three seasons.
Pegula has said player development will be a priority for his organization in their mandated quest to win the first Stanley Cup in Sabres' history. He said back in February that while there is limit to how much money can be spent on player salaries in the NHL, there is no cap on development costs.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...TS02/106250344

Old
06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
As a result of the change, those Pirates still under contract with the Sabres will move to Rochester, N.Y. Sources also say the team that played in Rochester last season -- when the Americans were affiliated with the Florida Panthers -- will move to San Antonio, while that team, which was affiliated with Phoenix, will move to Portland. The Pirates are expected to retain their name and logo.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/pira...011-06-25.html

Anyone dizzy yet?

Old
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Makes me wonder if Golisano/Quinn urged Pegula to purchase the Amerks as part of the deal to buy the Sabres.
It was the other way around. According the Brian Petrovek, when talks between the Sabres and Pegula became serious in November they informed Portland that Pegula's vision included moving back to Rochester. Petrovek discussed it at the Press Conference.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:26 AM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
What makes you think that?

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote