HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Old
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
I don't think Tampa will go after Richards, he should be an afterthought after all the re-signings they make (Brewer, Bergenheim, Purcell, Roloson) then adding to the D group (and hopefully getting rid of Ohlund) they probably won't have enough money to add in a 7M center ontop of the 2 70+ centers they already have.

Tampa might do it but I wouldn't call them contenders for him at all, they should have no interest right now.
I agree with the first part. They should focus on re-signing their players and upgrading their D, then see if they can fit Richards. But it's not often a player of Richards caliber will play for a team for a discount. When these situations arise, you take advantage of them.

You can bet your ass that Stevie Y already has the numbers worked out so he can still get in on the Richards sweepstakes. They might not be able to bid as high as Tor or NYR but they probably won't have to.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
Can I ask what you think the Rangers are giving to our RFAs?

It will be something along the lines of:

Dubinsky = 4
Callahan = 4
Anisimov = 1.75
Boyle = 2
Sauer = 1.25

Total for RFAs = 13 million
Richards = 8 million

Total for RFAs & Richards = 21 million

Total free Summer cap space = 21,828,000
They could buy out Wolski and save another 2.9M or so and have about 25M free in summer cap space.

I got a lot of LULZ after reading through this thread.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Levitate

Why would Boyle get more than Anisimov

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why would Boyle get more than Anisimov
Yeah that one stumped me too. Maybe he's guessing he'll get less because he's not arb eligible?

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Vitto79

bump, someone may have to change the title

this Saga has taken another turn as Dru may accept buyout

does this open up Trade possibilities to cap floor team?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1QNF9EpWM

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:58 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
bump, someone may have to change the title
this Saga has taken another turn as Dru may accept buyout
does this open up Trade possibilities to cap floor team?
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1QNF9EpWM
Waive his NMC to get bought out after saying he is injured?
What the heck is going on???

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
LyNX27

He's trying to help the team and still get a nice check? Who knows maybe they offer him some silly management position with salary.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
He's trying to help the team and still get a nice check?
But the Rangers fans already told us in this thread that a buy out was the least favourable option (well I guess second least favourable option after having his whole salary counting towards their cap).

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
But the Rangers fans already told us in this thread that a buy out was the least favourable option (well I guess second least favourable option after having his whole salary counting towards their cap).
It's more favorable than LTIR - while we're not in cap purgatory, we do get Redden back for the summer.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
honestly at this point whatever just get this over with already.

The save 3.3 mil in cap space this year. The cap went up so gives them some room instead of having his full 7 mil on it.

next yr the cap hit is 1.7 ish I beleive.

Also it gives Sather less money to throw on UFAs. Its Richards or bust this yr in the free agent market anyway

I think most ranger fans want them to keep playing the kids

Old
06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
It's more favorable than LTIR - while we're not in cap purgatory, we do get Redden back for the summer.
Yeah well that was my initial assumption, but guys like azrok22, Ruotsalainen29 and DatsyukSOGoal were quite vitriolic in their assertions that Drury not being able to be bought out for medical reasons was a positive for the Rangers.

You can argue it with them if you want, I don't really care that much so am just watching how it shakes out.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:23 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Is it more favorable than trading Drury (as long as he stays on LTIR) to a team (like the Coyotes) along with some assets?

Old
06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
azrok22

Quote:
It's debatable.

Under the no buyout scenario - the Rangers have enough space to offer UFAs (not including their own RFAs) approximately $10m (over the summer) if they do not buyout Drury (or Wolski). Once the season starts, Drury would go on LTIR, and the Rangers would be able to exceed the cap by $7.05m (meaning they could acquire $7.05m worth of salary after training camp without having to move anyone off the roster).

Under the buyout scenario - the Rangers have enough space to offer UFAs (not including their own RFAs) approximately $13.3m (over the summer and during the season) if they do buyout Drury (or Wolski). However, they wouldn't have the benefit of any money opening up due to LTIR, and would have to move out salary during the season if they wanted to add a player. They would also have $1.67m in dead space in 2012-2013.

Personally, I think both have their merits, and one isn't substantially better than the other. Under either scenario the Rangers can pursue Richards and the depth LW and D that they require. Under the second scenario, they would be able to also pursue a mid-tier wing UFA during the summer (Gagne? Jokinen? Cole?). Under the first scenario, they would not be able to add a mid-tier UFA during the summer, but could absorb significant salary during the season (ie: trade for a #1LW or #2LW or upgrade other positions while taking more salary back) and not have $1.67m in dead space in 2012-2013.

It's really in the eyes of the beholder I suppose. EDIT: Gun to my head, I still prefer the LTIR solution.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Is it more favorable than trading Drury (as long as he stays on LTIR) to a team (like the Coyotes) along with some assets?
Depends on the cost of those assets. It definitely would not be worth trading anything significant to get rid of him, imo, because under either of the scenarios described above, he shouldn't prevent the Rangers from doing what they want to with Richards.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:34 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They could buy out Wolski and save another 2.9M or so and have about 25M free in summer cap space.

I got a lot of LULZ after reading through this thread.
So your gonna play with 5 defencemen all year. Nice

or wait for the season to start and Drury on IR and hope you can fill the rest of roster

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:34 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
honestly at this point whatever just get this over with already.

The save 3.3 mil in cap space this year. The cap went up so gives them some room instead of having his full 7 mil on it.

next yr the cap hit is 1.7 ish I beleive.

Also it gives Sather less money to throw on UFAs. Its Richards or bust this yr in the free agent market anyway

I think most ranger fans want them to keep playing the kids
Exactly, which is why I still think the LTIR scenario is slightly more favorable for the Rangers.

This is all possible because of the salary cap going up so much. If the cap was only going up to say $61m, the Rangers would have had to buyout either Drury or Wolski to pursue Richards. However, because the cap went all the way above $64m, it made it possible for the Rangers to acquire Richards without being forced to move salary.

Plus, they freed up another $70,000 from their summer cap by trading Grachev yesterday, so they're even more in the clear!

Old
06-26-2011, 10:37 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post

or wait for the season to start and Drury on IR and hope you can fill the rest of roster
The defensemen that will be competing for spots at camp are probably already in the Rangers system. They may add one depth defenseman (Eminger?), but they have 2 to 3 guys fighting for the final spot:

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, and Sauer are already locks.

Erixon has been talked about as essentially being penciled in already. He's on a 2-way deal and didn't play in the NHL last year, so he doesn't affect the Rangers summer cap hit.

That's 5 defensemen, and leaves Del Zotto, who played part of the season in the NHL last year, Valentenko, and Kundratek fighting for the 6th/7th spot. They also may bring back Eminger or another 6th/7th dman to round out the NHL depth.

Last edited by azrok22: 06-26-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Changed singular word to plural
Old
06-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Exactly, which is why I still think the LTIR scenario is slightly more favorable for the Rangers.

This is all possible because of the salary cap going up so much. If the cap was only going up to say $61m, the Rangers would have had to buyout either Drury or Wolski to pursue Richards. However, because the cap went all the way above $64m, it made it possible for the Rangers to acquire Richards without being forced to move salary.

Plus, they freed up another $70,000 from their summer cap by trading Grachev yesterday, so they're even more in the clear!
lol ohhhhhh Eugene

I have a feeling giving Sather more cap space to spend on UFAs is a bad thing. When I do the math adding Richards and signing all the RFAs puts them at the max spending on the current cap

I don't want Sather to do anything more than our own and BR for #1 C and running the pt on the PP

as for the D you basically said it, top 4 are set, Erixon ,DZ and Vtank fighting for last two spots.

I think there will be plenty of vet Dmen they can bring into camp on a tryout or do a two deal with for a potential cap up or 7th D spot.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:38 AM
DesertDawg

Excuse me for being a homer, but I'm hoping that his spending psychosis will get the best of him and he has a Holmgren moment...

anyways, this would allow them to make up for any assets that may be lost through free agency... something that may not be an option for the Coyotes...

Old
06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
No - but pretending that's actually an option is delusional.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post

How do you figure? The only defender we have that needs re-signing is Sauer.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
For after Drury suggested a week ago that he was going to apply for a designation of being medically unable to play next season because of a degenerative condition in his left knee, the captain is now leaning toward accepting a buyout, according to individuals familiar with the situation.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...pT1YdKS6oivJSJ

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote