HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
LowBallFern

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'll take those 13 goals and fantastic defensive presence.

Just because you don't know the guy doesn't mean he's garbage. He's a premier defensive center and Gomez couldn't dream of netting such a valuable asset.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Say Wot??????

Just in case you missed it....
''The addition of Martin Hanzal on Plekanec's line would certainly be an asset''!

You should have read all my post before posting garbage as you say......

Old
06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Very brillant ... btw, that's a personnal attack...
Nope it isn't. I attacked some of the things you said. There is a difference between saying "you're dumb" and "what you said was dumb". But hey, why should I expect you to understand the difference?

Quote:
Gomez played half a year 2 years ago... that should tell you he didn't help the team much...
That was ONE year ago that his sequence ended (add one month now). It was the end of the 09-10 season. I said he was one year removed from that sequence. Wasn't it like 13 months ago that we were in the conference finals. And here I thought it took 24 months to make two years

Quote:
As for the other arguments you bring, it's almost a pissing contest, no new counter-argument, just you think vs I think... so I pass.
I'm not the one proclaiming absolutisms. You are.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBallFern View Post
Say Wot??????

''The addition of Martin Hanzal on Plekanec's line would certainly be an asset''!

And you should read better before posting nonsense, he didn't say your post was garbage

He's a CENTER, not a winger, he'd be a great asset to get, especially considering we'd finally get rid of Gomez cap hit, Pouliot isn't worth a lot, it's the 1st here that is worth a lot, especially since the 2012 will be a very strong one...

Old
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBallFern View Post
Say Wot??????

How is Gomez + Pouliot + 1st 2012 very generous for any decent player?

Unless you think those x + x + pick deals are good value. Then I'm just wasting my time.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:10 AM
ducky

As a Coyotes fan I have to weigh in. Some of these proposals are absolutely brutal. Zero basis in reality.

To trade Gomez you are likely looking at packaging a decent asset along with him to get an ok player or prospect in return.

No way does Gomez get you a sniff at Turris, OEL, Hanzal, Gormley etc.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
As a Coyotes fan I have to weigh in. Some of these proposals are absolutely brutal. Zero basis in reality.

To trade Gomez you are likely looking at packaging a decent asset along with him to get an ok player or prospect in return.

You make too much sense for this board. Please go.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
HCH

Quote:

Thank you, couldn't agree more

Old
06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
HomaridII

Quote:

You will come begging for Gomez when no free agent center wants to go to your pathetic 12,000 per game in attendance arena and you have issues making the cap floor, seeing as you already have 15 players signed and only at 31 million. you'll see .

Last year you barely spent 50million, and that was with Jovo's ****** contract. You need another ****** contract this year, enter Gomez.

I must give you credit, you weren't the most pathetic team in terms of attendance last year like you were the season before, you actually beat the Islanders.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Zorba

theres no way the Coyotes has 12000 people a game. Maybe announced 12,000 but in realisty it was like 150

Old
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
You will come begging for Gomez when no free agent center wants to go to your pathetic 12,000 per game in attendance arena and you have issues making the cap floor, seeing as you already have 15 players signed and only at 31 million. you'll see .

Last year you barely spent 50million, and that was with Jovo's ****** contract. You need another ****** contract this year, enter Gomez.

I must give you credit, you weren't the most pathetic team in terms of attendance last year like you were the season before, you actually beat the Islanders.
This seems uncalled for given all he was saying was Phoenix has no intention of giving up core players for a ****** contract.

Old
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:

jeeze put away the flame thrower lol

At the very least the gentlemen/women is right, Gomez will not get you Hanzal, or any other prospect similar straight up, lets just face facts. But Gomez and Palushaj or Kristo in the deal and we take back Boedker or something, it might work, but straight up I am inclined to agree it wont happen straight up.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
theres no way the Coyotes has 12000 people a game. Maybe announced 12,000 but in realisty it was like 150
I went with official NHL attendance numbers

Didn't want to argue about who actually showed up or not, lol.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
The Coyotes had an interesting contest at each home game last year, it was called

"Guess how many people are in attendance... and name them"

Old
06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
NLHabsFan

Martin Hanzal would be fantastic to have on this team. This guy shuts down the best centers in the Western Conference. If he was on the Habs he would open up more offensive opportunities for Plekanec because Plek's wouldn't have to go against the oppositions best anymore. No way PHX trades him for anything less than a drastic overpayment, and all MTL realistically has is PK and Price to overpay with. PHX is in playoff mode now to build a stronger fanbase and make more money. There not going to trade him for picks and prospects, need help for this season. Trying to trade a quantity package of crap does not get it done. And MTL is not in the position to overpay right now.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Brian Campbell's trade gives your response zero credibility. If that contract in money and years can be traded, anyone of those big deals can be traded now.

Gomez like Campbell is still a very serviceable player, unlike the injured Drury, the injury prone and now 1 year removed Souray and the one year removed Redden.

There are a lot of teams needing to get to the cap floor; Florida, Colorado, Winnipeg, NY Islanders, Phoenix, Dallas, Carolina and Nashville.

A team like Colorado would be ideal for the Habs to trade with. If they could trade Gomez for Stastny (plus a bit more going the other way from Habs) it would allow the Habs to have two good centres in the top 6 with Pleks and Stastny, plus it comes in cheaper by a million per for the Habs and he is younger and more offensive.

It helps the Av's by adding some more cap, and it allows them to have the money next year and the year after towards the cap, but for a lower hit in the real bank book.

The deal would be ideal, won't happen. But, I think there are possibilities out there for a Stastny or Weiss type of deal for Gomez plus now.
Wait. I really want Gomez gone but I would not compare him to Campbell. I mean
65gp 5g 22a 27pts +28
vs
80gp 7g 31a 38pts -15

One of the two is a D.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
usernam

Quote:

Geez calm down. He's absolutely right about the brutal proposals. And Gomez isn't the only overpaid player in the league, Phoenix will find a way out without taking him (see Florida with Campbell).

Old
06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I agree, my comments are too long to keep track.
You may be able to do the effort to follow the whole discussion.
It fits in the last two or three pages.

Personnally, despite having long thread, I do not feel lost at all.

We can agree that:
1 year of Horton + 2 years Campbell <<< Widerman + 1st + 3rd

Now if you put this in the context of a team who wants to go for the cup...
It is a gamble: you know you give more in the future to get a lot now.
To me, it was the best trade of 2011...
Chiarelli gave more but has a cup...

Going back to my point: Gomez has a very good value.
I don't understand how you are using Horton as a comparable to Gomez. They are nowhere near similar players. Horton is 5 years younger and much bigger at about 6'2 230lbs. His previous 4 years with FLA he was basically averaging close to 30 goals and 60 points. His last 2 years he missed about 15 games in each season but was still on pace for those stats. He also had 3 years left on his deal at a very reasonable/affordable 4mil per. Just not a good comparable IMO.

As far as Gomez has good value, I think I understand what you are saying. He has good value to MTL because they have no one in the system at this moment to play 2nd line minutes, so MTL is not just going to give him away. But that doesn't mean he has good trade value to other teams.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't understand how you are using Horton as a comparable to Gomez. They are nowhere near similar players. Horton is 5 years younger and much bigger at about 6'2 230lbs. His previous 4 years with FLA he was basically averaging close to 30 goals and 60 points. His last 2 years he missed about 15 games in each season but was still on pace for those stats. He also had 3 years left on his deal at a very reasonable/affordable 4mil per. Just not a good comparable IMO.

As far as Gomez has good value, I think I understand what you are saying. He has good value to MTL because they have no one in the system at this moment to play 2nd line minutes, so MTL is not just going to give him away. But that doesn't mean he has good trade value to other teams.
I don't think Horton is anywhere close to 230lbs...Neely whipped him into shape when he arrived...

Old
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Geez calm down. He's absolutely right about the brutal proposals. And Gomez isn't the only overpaid player in the league, Phoenix will find a way out without taking him (see Florida with Campbell).
PHX needs a goalie, so if they are going to give a large short term contract they are better off targeting Vokoun. He will help them continue be a playoff team. IMO, he's better than Bryzgalov.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Martin Hanzal would be fantastic to have on this team. This guy shuts down the best centers in the Western Conference. If he was on the Habs he would open up more offensive opportunities for Plekanec because Plek's wouldn't have to go against the oppositions best anymore. No way PHX trades him for anything less than a drastic overpayment, and all MTL realistically has is PK and Price to overpay with. PHX is in playoff mode now to build a stronger fanbase and make more money. There not going to trade him for picks and prospects, need help for this season. Trying to trade a quantity package of crap does not get it done. And MTL is not in the position to overpay right now.

Yes Hanzal is a good player but plz dont overrate him....The guy is a beast Defensively but a First in 2012 and Gomez is not scrap.....Just to let u know he never put more then 35 points in this league.

So plz guys stop talking like this player is a superstar...

Old
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think Horton is anywhere close to 230lbs...Neely whipped him into shape when he arrived...
Oh, I dunno exactly what he weighs but both TSN and NHL.com has him listed at 229lbs, that's why I said about 230lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Yes Hanzal is a good player but plz dont overrate him....The guy is a beast Defensively but a First in 2012 and Gomez is not scrap.....Just to let u know he never put more then 35 points in this league.

So plz guys stop talking like this player is a superstar...
He is a shut down centerman, and a very good one at that. The first in '12 is a good asset to be dealing, but I think PHX is looking to win now (make the playoffs and hopefully win some rounds to increase revenue) and replacing Hanzal with Gomez is a downgrade IMO. Doesn't make sense for PHX to do it. I'm not saying he's a superstar but plays very important minutes for PHX and they need him.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:06 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
I am calm

Keep in mind that these are just rumours, but last year at the trade deadline, real source said (not eklund, I believe it was RDS) that two teams called PG about Gomez, not the other way around .. they called him.

Those teams were the Blues and the Coyotes. On neither of those rumours were we sending ANYTHING other than Gomez to them, in fact from Phoenix we were getting Jovanoski and a draft pick back for Gomez and we said no ... read that again, WE said no .. mainly because we couldn't find another C.

I don't remember what the offer was from the Blues ... maybe Overlords remembers, since he mentioned the Blues earlier too.

These are just rumours of course, but people who think we will have to send a prospect like Kristo or Tinordi on a Gomez trade and get back crap like Rozsival are equally dillusional as those who think we will get Hanzal.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
PHX needs a goalie, so if they are going to give a large short term contract they are better off targeting Vokoun. He will help them continue be a playoff team. IMO, he's better than Bryzgalov.
Don't they also need a #1 center? I heard somewhere that Belanger currently is the one, I may be wrong though.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Hanzal is highly unlikely to be traded. The Coyotes earn their wins by shutting the other team down and he's their #1 forward for that strategy in a Pacific division loaded with big centres. Trade him and the season just got even tougher. He's essentially Jordan Staal but with less offense. However his much cheaper salary increases his value.

OEL is equally unlikely. The Coyotes do have lots of young players on the verge of the NHL - you're much better off asking for the likes of Brett MacLean, Chris Summers, Viktor Tikhonov, or our 1st / Connor Murphy.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:08 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Don't they also need a #1 center? I heard somewhere that Belanger currently is the one, I may be wrong though.
Unless they believe Turris is ready .. but they need a starting G (Vokoun) and a no.1 center since Belanger was their best last year and they aren't keeping him.

Right now their best offensive center is Hanzal I believe.

Closed Thread