HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Futbol Thread--Que Golaso!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
What the hell was the goalie doing on the 4th goal? He knows he can use his hands, right? lol.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Howard was out of the net, that wasn't the goalie who tried to header it, it was the defender. You know he can't use his hands, right?

Old
06-26-2011, 11:17 AM
asparkoflife

Bradley was decent. Jones was awful. Bornstein a disaster.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What the hell was the goalie doing on the 4th goal? He knows he can use his hands, right? lol.
Howard is a world class keeper, probably top 15 in the world. He plays for the best club team of any of the other Americans including Dempsey, Jones and Cherundolo. He just had a poor play, and the US team let one player walk all over them in the 18.

Lichaj, the defended did as much as he could to try to get to it. Probably would have been as well off batting the ball away with his hands and taking the penalty.

06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Howard is a world class keeper, probably top 15 in the world. He plays for the best club team of any of the other Americans including Dempsey, Jones and Cherundolo. He just had a poor play, and the US team let one player walk all over them in the 18.

Lichaj, the defended did as much as he could to try to get to it. Probably would have been as well off batting the ball away with his hands and taking the penalty.
Jermaine Jones should've play the guy with the ball. He went to mark up on the guy on top of the 18. If he just cut in the guy wouldn't have gotten a shot off.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Jermaine Jones should've play the guy with the ball. He went to mark up on the guy on top of the 18. If he just cut in the guy wouldn't have gotten a shot off.
My thoughts exactly. Jones is a good player, but he is subject to boneheaded mistakes.

Bradley and Jones were playing far too high on 3 of the 4 mexico goals. Our D needed more support than they got.

Because the US reverted to 4-4-2 (Adu was playing pure striker most of the game) we werent able to use the 3 attacking mid darting strategy that worked so well against Jamaica.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Howard was out of the net, that wasn't the goalie who tried to header it, it was the defender. You know he can't use his hands, right?
My bad. Only caught the highlights and thought it was the goalie.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
In terms of tournaments, how highly regarded is the Federation Cup? I'd imagine, second to the World Cup? Pardon my ignorance, I rarely follow soccer.
It's not big. Only 8 teams competing.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Im on Directv, and univision (402) has some spanish dancers or something, and I dont get that soccer channel mentioned previously. Is it over? if not, what channel is it on?

Old
06-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Its considered the 2nd most important tourney in the world.

Not a ton of teams get to go, because its supposed to be each regional champion, or a mini fifa world cup, in a sense.

2nd behind fifa world, and ahead of the olympics (Under 23 squads with 4 exceptions)

Old
06-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Anyone watching the womens World Cup? Germany is playing Kanada

Old
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Anyone watching the womens World Cup? Germany is playing Kanada
Im flipping between that and the draft on NHLnet

Old
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Jones is a good player, but he is subject to boneheaded mistakes.

Bradley and Jones were playing far too high on 3 of the 4 mexico goals. Our D needed more support than they got.

Because the US reverted to 4-4-2 (Adu was playing pure striker most of the game) we werent able to use the 3 attacking mid darting strategy that worked so well against Jamaica.
I wonder what happens if Cherundolo doesn't get hurt. I liked what Adu brought yesterday but it seemed like it was just him trying to get by 2-3 defenders. In your opinion would you let go Bradley?

Old
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
owedoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
What gets me is that we probably have triple the number of kids playing some sort of organized soccer than any other country in the world, yet we can't find ONE that can actually score goals regularly?
I would hesitate to call AYSO organized!

When I was little, I played in Minnesota(not AYSO for some reason. They had taught us positions, schemes, plays, etc. and all by age 5. I moved to CT right after and was put into the AYSO system. My mom tried to get me a different level because at that age, they just had the kids from both teams chase the ball.

25 kids all going after the ball at the same time. Like bees to a Popsicle.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I wonder what happens if Cherundolo doesn't get hurt. I liked what Adu brought yesterday but it seemed like it was just him trying to get by 2-3 defenders. In your opinion would you let go Bradley?
I'm not certain Bradley is the problem, I just think that we have an average collection of players that arent capable of beating the top skilled teams very often.

Mexico has quite a few players that have played for some of the best teams in the world, including a 23 year old ManU phenom striker.

The U.S. has Dempsey at Fulham (good team but mediocre for the EPL) Howard at Everton, and Donovan who can play Everton level when energized. Most of the rest of them play for Bundesliga teams as role players. Its an okay roster but many US fans have expectations exceeding our current talent crop.

If you want to take a gamble for glory, you fire Bradley. If you want the U.S. to continue playing its counter oriented, speed style devoid of skill or creativity, stick with Bradley.

The first option would be good for guys like Adu, Agudelo, Dempsey. The second would be better potentially for Donovan, Bradley, Altidore.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:06 PM
nyrmetros

I watched the USA game at Legends on 33rd and 5th and the place was packed. In fact every single bar and restaurant along 5th avenue was packed watching the game. I never saw so many Americans walking around the city wearing USA soccer jerseys before. It was great to see, unfortunately the result didn't happen.

American fans after the first USA goal in the stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cylRxIE5x4

Last edited by nyrmetros: 06-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Its considered the 2nd most important tourney in the world.

Not a ton of teams get to go, because its supposed to be each regional champion, or a mini fifa world cup, in a sense.

2nd behind fifa world, and ahead of the olympics (Under 23 squads with 4 exceptions)
no... that's wrong. nobody cares about the confederations cup.

the top 5 most important would be:

1. FIFA world cup
2. UEFA European championship (some say the euro is actually the best tournament)
3. Copa america
4. olympic soccer
5. FIFA u-20

Old
06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Regionally, they carry heavy gravity.

I'm talking the kind of thing people watch on a worldwide scale.

It depends from person to person, but a lot of people view the confed cup as a mini-fifa. It dictates a world championship title, which, to me, is more meaningful than a regional champion, regardless of the number of teams involved.

Confed cup is supposed to be the best from each region.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Regionally, they carry heavy gravity.

I'm talking the kind of thing people watch on a worldwide scale.

It depends from person to person, but a lot of people view the confed cup as a mini-fifa. It dictates a world championship title, which, to me, is more meaningful than a regional champion, regardless of the number of teams involved.

Confed cup is supposed to be the best from each region.
Yes but it's far from the 8 best teams in the world. There are definitely more people watching the Euro and probably even the Copa than the Confed-Cup. And that's the same way the teams have it in order of importance.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
It's prestigious and important for your national program and for the team to play in the stadiums 1 year before the WC starts. These are truly the best teams in the world.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:27 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Yes but it's far from the 8 best teams in the world. There are definitely more people watching the Euro and probably even the Copa than the Confed-Cup. And that's the same way the teams have it in order of importance.
Spot on. I'll still watch it, but it isn't anything I can get passionate about. Can't wait for Euro 2012 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
These are truly the best teams in the world.
No, they aren't. One of the eight spots is given automatically to the country that is hosting the event and following World Cup. The Confederations Cup has a lot less to do with watching the best teams in the world compete, and a lot more to do with just watching one or two (depending on where it's hosted) of the best teams from all the inhabited continents battle it out. It's basically a gimmick. Still fun to watch, don't get me wrong. But you're glamorizing it way too much. Or do you really think that the winner of the Oceania Football Confederation's tournament is one of the best teams in the world?

Last edited by The New Originals: 06-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
ThisYearsModel

The US Soccer team needs:

1. A real coach. Bradley made a disastrous technical mistake moving Lichaj to the other side when Bornstein came on. Now, instead of one defender who sucked (Bornstein), you had that plus one who was playing out of position. The back was out of position and under siege all night. 3 straight shut outs, then give up 4 last night and could have given up 8.

2. Better talent evaluation. That Bornstein is even on the roster is a crock. He did one thing for the US....scored the even up goal against Costa Rica that got Honduras into the world cup. Otherwise, he has been dreadful.

3. Better play from Tim Howard. Last night was not one of his better performances.

4. More depth. The US Soccer developmental program is not producing world-class players. With all of the players in the country, they should be better.

5. Landon Donovan to get serious. Playing for the LA Galaxy instead of in Europe against better competition? Lazy and uninspired. He is supposed to be the MAN. He has been eclipsed by Cliff Dempsey.

US Soccer is in bad shape, and getting worse. They had ruled CONCACAF, at least. Now that no longer applies. Mexico was the far better team last night, and the entire US performance in the Gold Cup was weak and uninspiring. I predict that qualification for the next world cup will be a squeaker unless a competent coach is hired.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Don't think so... Not to be racist or anything, but it's amazing that the whites have become a minority in this country and the spanish and blacks who were once the minority are becoming the majority. I went to the gold cup finals 2 years ago at the Meadowlands and it was 90% Mexico fans. Pathetic...
I was at the game at Giants Stadium.k. We were outnumberef 79000 to 1000. All we had was Sam's Army and American Outlaws.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
Spot on. I'll still watch it, but it isn't anything I can get passionate about. Can't wait for Euro 2012 though.

No, they aren't. One of the eight spots is given automatically to the country that is hosting the event and following World Cup. The Confederations Cup has a lot less to do with watching the best teams in the world compete, and a lot more to do with just watching one or two (depending on where it's hosted) of the best teams from all the inhabited continents battle it out. It's basically a gimmick. Still fun to watch, don't get me wrong. But you're glamorizing it way too much. Or do you really think that the winner of the Oceania Football Confederation's tournament is one of the best teams in the world?

The Oceanic Confederation should be merged with Asia. The Mid-East should have its own confederation.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:58 PM
The New Originals

They might as well do that. Australia doesn't even play in the OFC anymore anyway!

Closed Thread