HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Louis Leblanc crack the Habs line up in 2011-2012?

Old
06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Andros777

vCash: 500
Hopefully he scores 50-60 points in the AHL this year.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I was more thinking of a late emergency arrival like Subban did in '10: to fill a patch in the playoffs, after proving himself in the AHL.

But Subban already had 2 years of AHL experience by then.. Is there a young forward who would be ahead of Leblanc as a plug?
That's not true, Subban had about 50-60 AHL games in one season under his belt during his 2-game stint in Feb 2010. His first AHL season was the 2009-2010 season. He did play all of 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 in the OHL after being drafted though. So in essense Leblanc is actually behind PK's curve now at this point, as he'll be entering a third season since being drafted and by all accounts he will remain in the Q. No sense comparing them though, PK is a special talent. I don't see that from Leblanc at the moment.

He could always make the jump to the AHL during the season if they deem he has burned the Q to the point he has not much left to learn, but the biggest knock on Leblanc for me is his strength. The kid still needs to put on 10lbs minimum before he can be effective in the type of role he will play in the NHL. As for what I project him to be, his ceiling for me at this point is probably a 2-way 2nd line winger almost in the mold of Higgins (when he was scoring).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:24 AM
habitue*

Leblanc ain't ready for NHL hockey yet.

Let the guy breathe a bit, become stronger and learn the game.

Geez. Leblanc has played on three diffrent teams, in three different part of the Continent, with three different sets of teamates and three different coaches in the last three years. + He has to study at University level.

Give him a break.

It would be suicidal to put the next "French Quebecer" talent on the Bell Center ice yet.

Last edited by habitue*: 06-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Very unlikely.

He'll need at least 1-2 years in the AHL to play against some men instead.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
PricePkPatch

@JGRB

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why I though PK was with the Dogs for 2 years. But if Leblanc joins them this year, how does that male him behind Subban in the development curve? 2 years junior, 1 year AHL.. No?

Anyway, I agree with the majority. Better not burn a prospect, specially not a Québécois. He'll never recover, bar being having an exceptional moral resilience.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 06-26-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Removed quoted post
PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Why do we keep acquiring players that "need to fill out"(i.e:Eller,BP,Leblanc) and then they don't.
A player not filling out his frame is not a problem with management, but a problem with the player himself. It's all about dedicating yourself to a diet that will give you what you need and working out to achieve what you want. If a player is not going to follow the plan as strictly as he should, he won't fill out his frame as fast as he should be.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Jesse Pinkman

In 1 or 2 years yes, considering his age and recent upper body injury.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Hugo Sham

he's not even close to being rehabbed from his shoulder injury and probably won't even be ready for main camp. there's no way he makes the habs next year. if he has a superb year, maybe he gets a call up for a few games after January

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
@JGRB

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why I though PK was with the Dogs for 2 years. But if Leblanc joins them this year, how does that male him behind Subban in the development curve? 2 years junior, 1 year AHL.. No?

Anyway, I agree with the majority. Better not burn a prospect, specially not a Québécois. He'll never recover, bar being having an exceptional moral resilience.
All signs point to Leblanc going back to the MTL Juniors to start this season, which is why I said he'd be behind PK's curve (if this happens to be the case), as Leblanc woud have played 3 seasons of college/junior after his draft where as Subban was in the OHL for 2 seasons then made the jump the A for his 3rd season.

I think Leblanc gets a lot of heck around here for no reason, people seem to hate his WJC performance, which I don't understand because he was one of Canada's best forwards without a doubt. Not only that, but he was burning up the Q until his injuries started to occur. He had a bum shoulder from December/January on if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be shocked if he didn't become a good two-way Top 6 forward when he hits his stride in the NHL, worst case scenerio being a 3rd liner. He plays with a lot of grit and passion, and he has an intriguing mixed skill set. The biggest knock on him like I said earlier is lack of strength, if the kid bulks up to atleast around 195 he'll be able to fulfill his potential.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Not right out of camp but maybe as a late-season callup.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
PricePkPatch

What? He doesn't make the Dogs this year?

Darn it. I thought he was ready. Oh well, if it's true not to burn a prospect in the NHL, it's the same about the AHL. Our coaching team over there know their trade, seeing the crop of good developped prospect they gave us over the past 3 years.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Pepin le bref

No rush whatsoever to bring him up with the big club. Let him develop in the AHL for at least a year or 2, give him a cup of coffee during the season to give him a look but not more.

They gave Plekanec 3 years to developp in the A and it worked out pretty well.

Let's hope our french media don't ventilate the hype machine like they did with Latendresse. Althought I'm pretty sure Bertrand Raymond and Rejean Tremblay have their garbage propoganda articles already written down.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
All signs point to Leblanc going back to the MTL Juniors to start this season, which is why I said he'd be behind PK's curve (if this happens to be the case), as Leblanc woud have played 3 seasons of college/junior after his draft where as Subban was in the OHL for 2 seasons then made the jump the A for his 3rd season.

I think Leblanc gets a lot of heck around here for no reason, people seem to hate his WJC performance, which I don't understand because he was one of Canada's best forwards without a doubt. Not only that, but he was burning up the Q until his injuries started to occur. He had a bum shoulder from December/January on if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be shocked if he didn't become a good two-way Top 6 forward when he hits his stride in the NHL, worst case scenerio being a 3rd liner. He plays with a lot of grit and passion, and he has an intriguing mixed skill set. The biggest knock on him like I said earlier is lack of strength, if the kid bulks up to atleast around 195 he'll be able to fulfill his potential.
I see no reason for him to go back to Junior. Last season, when healthy, he was dominant on most nights. I feel he dosen't have much left to learn at that level.

He's ready for the pros IMO.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
Let's hope our french media don't ventilate the hype machine like they did with Latendresse. Althought I'm pretty sure Bertrand Raymond and Rejean Tremblay have their garbage propoganda articles already written down.
Nah, he's usually too busy talking politics or everything else than to talk hockey,

Old
06-26-2011, 01:44 PM
ruski17

Too many other prospects are NHL ready before him like Engvist and Palushaj. The only way Leblanc makes it is if he lights up the AHL and habs have injuries down the middle. Also, if he has an NHL body.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Universe
Eh?

Where has it been written or said that he is going back to Montreal next year?

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Roulin

I would bet against LL getting any NHL games this season, but you never know. Definitely not to start the season.

The first forward call up is probably Enqvist. Then you have Palushaj, maybe Fortier? I think Dumont could have a break out season in the AHL, and might force himself into the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
All signs point to Leblanc going back to the MTL Juniors to start this season
I believe you are mistaken. There's no reason for LL to go back as an overage player. Maybe Lefebvre?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Absolutely not.

In fact, I don't think he even sees a call-up. I certainly hope he doesn't.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
The title pretty much tells the question: does Louis Leblanc make the team next year?.
Leblanc had a major shoulder injury, went under the knife last month and is out for 4-6 months. The odds of making the team if he hadn't been injured wouldn't be good but now it's just about impossible. We don't know how close to 100% he will be by the time camp opens, or how much his off season work will be impacted by the injury. No need to rush him, let's just hope he's at 100% when Hamilton opens their season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
hotcarle

AHL to start, a few games during the season, then we'll see. No need to rush him. He wasn't really dominating in exhibition and this year he may miss that opportunity to show how he's progressed against NHL talent.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote