HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers? Draft Trends

Old
06-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
The Rangers? Draft Trends

Over the last day and a half there have been a plethora of articles, blog entries, video and audio interviews, and press releases about the six Rangers’ selections in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. As part of my duties as HF’s Rangers’ writer, I will be doing an article in review myself. This is not [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:16 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Over the last day and a half there have been a plethora of articles, blog entries, video and audio interviews, and press releases about the six Rangers’ selections in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. As part of my duties as HF’s Rangers’ writer, I will be doing an article in review myself. This is not [...]

More...
Good article, nice read. Thanks Leslie

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Small typo under Trend #5?

Quote:
They had their guy in mind–JT Martin

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I"m glad you expressed my same thoughts on drafting out of 'need'. Your Chara reference is kind of high end(though still amazes me we did not sign him), my comparison is Johnny Boychuk. Late 2nd rounder, traded for a fourth round prospect, hit his stride at 26/27 yrs old. These kind of players are available all the time for a sawbuck

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
TrollololBoyle

The Rangers don't draft for need. They draft particular players that fit a philosophy they have molded into the organization. That's different. Just because they don't always take the consensus BPA, doesn't mean they are drafting for need.

JT Miller was projected to go anywhere from 15 to 25, he was one of the BPAs at that point. Was he the de facto BPA? Maybe not, but they did not reach for him either, and he wasn't a need as much as he was a Ranger-type player. It just so happened that he fit what the Rangers wanted in their players and was one of the better (if not best) players available.

Winnipeg taking Schiefele was a reach. Toronto trading up for Biggs was a mix of both, need and a reach as well. Toronto's whole draft was a mess in my opinion. The Rangers taking Miller was neither of those.

Last edited by TrollololBoyle: 06-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.
TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I"m glad you expressed my same thoughts on drafting out of 'need'. Your Chara reference is kind of high end(though still amazes me we did not sign him), my comparison is Johnny Boychuk. Late 2nd rounder, traded for a fourth round prospect, hit his stride at 26/27 yrs old. These kind of players are available all the time for a sawbuck
Garrioch (Ottawa Sun) wrote that the Rangers pursued him but he had no interest signing with New York.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Garrioch (Ottawa Sun) wrote that the Rangers pursued him but he had no interest signing with New York.
Why do you think he turned down our offer?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Real answer to that question would probably have to come from the player. Garrioch said there were a handful of teams with $7 mil offers on the table so we were not the only team he turned down.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Small typo under Trend #5?
Whoops. Thanks for the heads up.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Pizza

Excellent.

I'm looking forward to re reading it and then I'll give you my take.

But as always a good read. Thanks Lelsie.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:31 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Excellent article Leslie.

My only concern/issue with Gordie and Gorton's philosophy/strategy comes in the goalie drafting; it's time to start grooming another starter. I love Henrik, have followed him since during the lockout in Frolunda, want him to win a Cup/Conn Smythe/Hart/Vezina and break all of the Rangers goalie records but the organization can't be caught with their pants down in three years. What if Henrik wants to leave/wears down/etc? They need a legitimate protege'/replacement and should start having a Beezer/Richter thing going on. The Sharks have been doing it for years, as have the Sabres. The Ducks now have Bobkov and Gibson in their system. I don't see Stacjer as a legitimate starter.

As for Chara; probably the scrutiny and expectations. While Boston is an original six franchise, the Bruins fans aren't as nuts as us or Ottawa where the only major sport is hockey. Also, there was a lot of talk going around that Chara and Chiarelli were tight and he knew of his imminent move to be the GM of Boston.

Finally, Chara literally went from being a boy to man during his time on Long Island so he has first hand knowledge of this market/area.

Last edited by White Plains Batman: 06-26-2011 at 09:36 PM.
White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

thanks for the article

I think that the recent trend in the early rounds for NY is to draft guys who are tough to play against. Never give up, motor going all the time, digging in the corner type players. Cally and Dubinsky come to mind.

players like Werek, McIlrath, MDZ, Sauer, Korpikoski typify this draft style

For example NY could have drafted Armia but I don't think he was thought to bring enough jam to the table so they went with Miller who has plenty of moxie.

but overall I like the players NY has on the roster. I get a feeling that the sum of the parts is greater than the individuals present.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Just because they don't always take the consensus BPA, doesn't mean they are drafting for need.
That's really because there is no consensus BPA for the most part. It usually goes on what a team internally considers the BPA and that can take into account a lot of factors about the teams needs, prospect pool deficiencies, etc.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Great article, Leslie. Going forward, after all the depth built up in the organization, (I love that they finally addressed the center position, adding at least two playmaking centers with size), I would hope that the path they take from here on out is drafting the BPA that fits the mold of "Ranger-type" players. I think they did that this year with the first four picks. (To me, the only other player on the board that would have qualified for that category as much Miller did was McNeil). I also believe that, after the failures, (whatever the reason given), of attempts to add goalies early - Blackburn, Montoya and Lafleur - I prefer they continue to avoid goalies in the first three rounds. Goalies take the longest to develop and remain very hit-or-miss, while retaining little or no trade value.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
ogie

Draft Trend ...drafting American born players...LOVE IT.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Obviously, he made a wise choice.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post

More...
Leslie, great write up but the McIlrath thing has been beaten to death. With Del Zotto coming off that phenomenal rookie year, Fowler would have been redundant on defense and a second huge defensive liability.

If we don't know what we have in Del Zotto at THAT point, then I agree its a botched selection and Fowler should have been picked. I can understand in every aspect why they passed over Fowler.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote