HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Zorba

vCash: 500
Pouliot is a bust. 4th overall bust. He has no upside left. He went nearly 30 games without a goal. Benched in the playoffs. Thats the faith they have on him . Please dont compare him to Gomez or say that martin is a bad coach. Pouliot is flat out awful

Old
06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
habfaninvictoria

Why give up on a UFA that has upside? Why can't we just let him develop, let's not forget that he has only 1.5 years of NHL experience. Yes he was a high draft pick. So what? Some players take longer than other to mature. We sign him to a bare bones contract and let him earn the next one. RFA's are valuable.

Mtl fans are so bipolar when it comes to our players. We overvalue them, hype them up as the next superstar and then when they don't deliver at that rate their bums and we want them traded for spare parts.

Pouliot can be valuable on the 3rd or 4th line and can be bumped up to top 6 if necessary for short periods. He has the skill level but not the compete level and that leads to mistakes and frustration against top forwards on other teams. In the bottom 6 he's got better skill than most he'd be matched against and could put up 30-40 points. Perfect.

With the right UFA signing we could realistically be looking at AK and Pouliot with Eller or DD at centre for our 3rd line.... I like their chances at putting up points.

For instance...

Sign Langenbrunner and we have

MaxPac/Plex/Cammy
Langenbrunner/Gomez/Gionta
Pouliot/Eller/AK
White/DD/Moen

That doesn't look too Shabby to me.
The top 6 are both offensive and defensively capable
The skill and size on the 3rd line is actually a bit scary and the 4th line is a great energy line.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Pouliot is a bust. 4th overall bust. He has no upside left. He went nearly 30 games without a goal. Benched in the playoffs. Thats the faith they have on him . Please dont compare him to Gomez or say that martin is a bad coach. Pouliot is flat out awful
What's wrong with a 15g-15a player for $1.35m? He's cheaper than Moen and produces twice as much. He gets almost all his points 5 on 5. He is tied for the 2nd most GWG on the team with 4. Those are clutch goals.

Who cares where he was drafted, look at what he does on the ice for his cap hit and ice time.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Pepin le bref

The main problem with Pouliot is his lack of devotion. I heard Dany Dubé call him out saying that Pouliot, even when struggling, was never to be seen in optional practices while guys like Desharnais and White were always there.

His time in Montreal is likely done but I will say this: I was very disappointed that he was NEVER on the powerplay. With his set of hands and his overall skill set, he could of done some damage. I guess his lack of devotion cost him PP opportunities.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
The main problem with Pouliot is his lack of devotion. I heard Dany Dubé call him out saying that Pouliot, even when struggling, was never to be seen in optional practices while guys like Desharnais and White were always there.

His time in Montreal is likely done but I will say this: I was very disappointed that he was NEVER on the powerplay. With his set of hands and his overall skill set, he could of done some damage. I guess his lack of devotion cost him PP opportunities.
He's too mentally soft and timid to be a professional hockey player at this level. You can tell it's just not his passion.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What's wrong with a 15g-15a player for $1.35m? He's cheaper than Moen and produces twice as much. He gets almost all his points 5 on 5. He is tied for the 2nd most GWG on the team with 4. Those are clutch goals.

Who cares where he was drafted, look at what he does on the ice for his cap hit and ice time.
You can't compare Pouliot and Moen just on points...that makes no sense at all.

Pouliot is one dimensional, what you see in points is all you get...Moen is a guy that does all the little things you need to win games plus he will drop the gloves to defend teammates. Pouliot when he isn't producing...like the last 2 months of the last 2 seasons, he brings nothing to the table.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Speaking of QO's..Bergfors, Bernier and Gilroy are among those who weren't qualified.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:31 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Speaking of QO's..Bergfors, Bernier and Gilroy are among those who weren't qualified.
Bergfors could be this years MacArthur. I wouldn't be against going for him.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:35 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You can't compare Pouliot and Moen just on points...that makes no sense at all.

Pouliot is one dimensional, what you see in points is all you get...Moen is a guy that does all the little things you need to win games plus he will drop the gloves to defend teammates. Pouliot when he isn't producing...like the last 2 months of the last 2 seasons, he brings nothing to the table.
Moen isn't big enough to protect anyone. Also 3rd and 4th line players are going to be useless point wise 80% of the time. Thats why they are bottom 6 players.

I know Pouliot is one dimensional, but he is so much better at that one dimension than anyone else in the bottom six (if you exclude Eller who is really a top 6 waiting to break out).

Your bottom 6 is about balance and having a one dimensional player that can put up 30 points is needed in the bottom six. You need secondary scoring for the long stretches when your 2nd line players aren't producing (which is about 50% of the time), so if you can get your bottom 6 to produce say 25% of the time like Pouliot does, it helps balance the lack of consistency from guys like AK or when Cammy goes through his cold spells.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Hugo Sham

no hockey IQ, no commitment to strengthening himself during season or off-season, no grit or jam to his game on a regular basis.
too bad, because he has an extraordinary skill set, can fight etc...
all tools no toolbox

Old
06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Is there a list of who was qualified around the league?

Old
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If Puliot can put on 10 to 15 pounds I'm interested. He shows flashes and is skilled.

Somehow he seems to loose composure when the games get physical but is better when the heat is on. If he can put it together and play on the edge he would be good. Better than most of our bottom 6 options and maybe as good or close to the commonly mentioned UFA.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Bergfors could be this years MacArthur. I wouldn't be against going for him.
He'd be a nice acandidate for a 1 year deal at 1.3-1.5 mil to play with Eller and AK and possibly jump up in the top 6 at times.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Moen isn't big enough to protect anyone. Also 3rd and 4th line players are going to be useless point wise 80% of the time. Thats why they are bottom 6 players.

I know Pouliot is one dimensional, but he is so much better at that one dimension than anyone else in the bottom six (if you exclude Eller who is really a top 6 waiting to break out).

Your bottom 6 is about balance and having a one dimensional player that can put up 30 points is needed in the bottom six. You need secondary scoring for the long stretches when your 2nd line players aren't producing (which is about 50% of the time), so if you can get your bottom 6 to produce say 25% of the time like Pouliot does, it helps balance the lack of consistency from guys like AK or when Cammy goes through his cold spells.
Moen is bigger than Thornton, why would he not be big enough to protect anyone? What rock have you been living under? Moen has always been a good bottom 6 guy in his career and a very good middle weight, unfortunately without a heavyweight on the roster, it hurts his ability to be that type of protector. He brings a smart defensive game, shows up every night, lays the body and can kill penalities.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I'd take a run at Bernier.

Doesn't seem like he'll ever be the scorer he was projected to be, but he still throws some checks and crashes the crease, which is a lot more than I can say about Pouliot.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'd take a run at Bernier.

Doesn't seem like he'll ever be the scorer he was projected to be, but he still throws some checks and crashes the crease, which is a lot more than I can say about Pouliot.
Part of why Bernier has bounced around is that he isn't constant with his offense as well as his physical game...much like Pouliot, as a coach you can't count on him every night.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Roke

Quote:
He'd be a nice acandidate for a 1 year deal at 1.3-1.5 mil to play with Eller and AK and possibly jump up in the top 6 at times.
If Bergfors gets to unrestricted free agency I'd give him 2m-3m on a multi-year deal given his good possession metrics in fairly tough minutes and his pretty good even-strength scoring rates. Dave Tallon is an idiot.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Part of why Bernier has bounced around is that he isn't constant with his offense as well as his physical game...much like Pouliot, as a coach you can't count on him every night.
From what I recall he's pretty consistent in checking, but his overall game isn't all that great.

Still seems like an upgrade over Pouliot in terms of bottom 6 fit.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:18 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Moen is bigger than Thornton, why would he not be big enough to protect anyone? What rock have you been living under?
The rock where he loses more fights than he wins. Nobody is afraid of taking liberties with the Habs because of Moen.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

My 2 questions would be:

How hard is he training this off-season? Where is his head space at?

If he is training ferociously like a possessed and determined beast under the watch of some serious hockey trainers, then keep him for another season/ half season.

If he is slacking this summer and just taking things as they come, then sign and trade him.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
He doesn't have to be a star in order to contribute to the team.
I know, I never said that. I was talking to all the people who call him a bust. He's a bust yes but everyone knows this already... let's talk more about what he can contribute and stop being "disappointed" in him. It's the same with AK.. it's time to lower our expectations.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Wouldn't surprise me if we end up losing Pouliot for nothing. Asset management isn't exactly a strong suit for this team.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
If Bergfors gets to unrestricted free agency I'd give him 2m-3m on a multi-year deal given his good possession metrics in fairly tough minutes and his pretty good even-strength scoring rates. Dave Tallon is an idiot.
I'd consider flipping a secondary asset to Tallon (such as a low-end pick) and qualifying him before the deadline tomorrow.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if we end up losing Pouliot for nothing. Asset management isn't exactly a strong suit for this team.
Would you prefer keeping him or finding a better player to replace him on the top 9?

They can't sign him and send him to Hamilton.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

"They never believed in me in Montreal. As soon as I made a mistake, I was benched. Here I'm allowed to learn and I guess that's why I feel so confident and am being successful".

- Benoit Pouliot, after scoring his 27th goal of the season, February 24th, 2012.

Closed Thread