HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 3: Pick #72 (Steven Fogarty, C/W)

Old
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Watching that video, those Edina jerseys are GORGEOUS. wish I could buy one.
Those were my HS colors in NJ-HS hockey, West Windsor-Plainsboro Pirates !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:33 PM
NYR Viper

The last time the Rangers took a player from Minnesota was Derek Stepan. There scouts there know their ****. They liked McDonagh his draft year as well. If Clarke and his scouts think this kid was good enough to be taken in the middle of the second then I am stoked with getting him in the 3rd.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The last time the Rangers took a player from Minnesota was Derek Stepan. There scouts there know their ****. They liked McDonagh his draft year as well. If Clarke and his scouts think this kid was good enough to be taken in the middle of the second then I am stoked with getting him in the 3rd.
Gorton actually said late first. Might be a reflection on this draft, might be organizational spin, but still good to hear.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He went from 132 to 90 on CSB's final list. He was the 2nd Minnesota HS player taken even though he was ranked behind a whole lot of other guys who were being considered higher end talents.

I hate doing these things but this kid has me excited:
Kreider-Fogarty-Thomas
Size/Speed-Instincts-Finish

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I never heard of this kid before we drafted him. But hearing the praise from some very credible posters has me very intrigued about how Fogarty will develope.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Home after being out of town for the weekend...LOVE this pick. Can't believe this guy didn't get taken in the 2nd. There are so many exciting parts to his game, he's so versatile.

Besides, anything that even remotely reminds me of Creedence is already great.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:03 PM
hockeyman001

I like this pick but I don't know how I feel that he's playing in college next year. He's a bit of a project, but definitely young enough and with the right skills he could become something in the mold of a Jason Arnott (well, without the great slapshot). Love his compete level and he has good hands. Needs to work on his strength, vision, and agility quickness. In college he'll get stronger, but I don't know how his vision and agility will develop there. Hopefully the Rangers can get their hands on him sooner rather than later to steer his development in the right direction and keep a steep learning curve. But I like the pick a lot. Just not sure how I feel about him going to college. At least Notre Dame is an offensive program...

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

They want him to really improve his skating..... Hoping he can do it....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:13 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Sure he can improve his skating, this kid will be fun to watch in a few years as well as our other picks from this draft, i like what we did this year and love the fact we are taking so many Americans USA USA USA

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
They want him to really improve his skating..... Hoping he can do it....
send him to Barb Underhill before he starts college! Are we allowed to do that since he hasn't technically started in school? Is he allowed to let the Rangers pay for him to attend prospect camp or will he have started school by then?

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
send him to Barb Underhill before he starts college! Are we allowed to do that since he hasn't technically started in school? Is he allowed to let the Rangers pay for him to attend prospect camp or will he have started school by then?
to keep his ncaa eligibility he'd have to pay for it himself. rangers can't pay for him

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:14 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
to keep his ncaa eligibility he'd have to pay for it himself. rangers can't pay for him
Noah and Christ. even before he starts school? I understand not letting colleges pay for stuff to sway kids to commit to them but our team can't before he even starts school and is officially a student? that's a load of malarkey. What is the rationale for not letting him attend camp and such without paying for it himself to begin with? I guess that's unfair to other schools or something? (unless all schools allowed for it?)

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:16 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Noah and Christ. even before he starts school? I understand not letting colleges pay for stuff to sway kids to commit to them but before he even starts school and is officially a student? that's a load of malarkey.
thats also why he's playing in the USHL and not going to play in the WHL or OHL for a year before college, they get paid an allowance and he wouldn't be able to play ncaa after that.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Home after being out of town for the weekend...LOVE this pick. Can't believe this guy didn't get taken in the 2nd. There are so many exciting parts to his game, he's so versatile.

Besides, anything that even remotely reminds me of Creedence is already great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNJseiSdZWo

some absolutely outstanding music right here. glad to know theres another poster here with excellent taste in music.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Noah and Christ. even before he starts school? I understand not letting colleges pay for stuff to sway kids to commit to them but our team can't before he even starts school and is officially a student? that's a load of malarkey. What is the rationale for not letting him attend camp and such without paying for it himself to begin with? I guess that's unfair to other schools or something? (unless all schools allowed for it?)
It has to do with amateur vs. pro status. Any money he receives from the Rangers would make him a pro and kill his NCAA eligibility. Yeah, it's probably too strict but that's the NCAA.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
If he's receiving money or benefits from a professional hockey club, he loses his amateur status. If he's not an amateur, he can't play NCAA hockey. It's not a matter of when he's officially a student. It's why guys that play hockey in Canadian Juniors (specifically the CHL) cannot then play NCAA hockey.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It has to do with amateur vs. pro status. Any money he receives from the Rangers would make him a pro and kill his NCAA eligibility. Yeah, it's probably too strict but that's the NCAA.
the NCAA has to be able to maintain the illusion of "they only play amateurs" so they can make millions upon millions of dollars off them and not have to pay them any of it.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Synergy27

Disclaimer: I am not a stats hound, I fully understand that stats don't tell the whole story.

But, wouldn't you think that a kid that made this much of an impression on the Rangers would have scored more than 40 points on a good team in the MSHSL? The leading scorer in the league had 83 points, for reference.

Maybe this is really a question about the league itself. When I think of the MSHSL the first teams that come to mind are Edina and Eden Prairie. Are these teams more "famous" because they play in the same, tougher division or something?

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Disclaimer: I am not a stats hound, I fully understand that stats don't tell the whole story.

But, wouldn't you think that a kid that made this much of an impression on the Rangers would have scored more than 40 points on a good team in the MSHSL? The leading scorer in the league had 83 points, for reference.

Maybe this is really a question about the league itself. When I think of the MSHSL the first teams that come to mind are Edina and Eden Prairie. Are these teams more "famous" because they play in the same, tougher division or something?
they are basing it on the potential he has when he matures and develops not necessarily today.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Yes, they both play in one of, if not the toughest confernces in the state, comprised of metro-area teams.

The powerhouse schools are primarily located around the suburbs of both Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul). Once you get outside of that the competition is much more uneven. This is especially true of the Northern schools, often located in very rural areas.

A classic case of this is Ben Hanowski. Is the state's all-time leading scorer and a fairly highly touted Penguins' draft pick. He put up his numbers for Little Falls, a Northern school playing against pretty poor competition. He is a 0.5 ppg player for St. Cloud St., which is fine, but not exactly as great as his senior year numbers 73 G - 62 A - 135 P in 31 games would indicate.

The state's leading scorer this year, Tyler Heinonen is another such example. Class A player (vs. Edina and EP Class AA) who wasn't even a Mr. Hockey finalist.

06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Yes, they both play in one of, if not the toughest confernces in the state, comprised of metro-area teams.

The powerhouse schools are primarily located around the suburbs of both Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul). Once you get outside of that the competition is much more uneven. This is especially true of the Northern schools, often located in very rural areas.

A classic case of this is Ben Hanowski. Is the state's all-time leading scorer and a fairly highly touted Penguins' draft pick. He put up his numbers for Little Falls, a Northern school playing against pretty poor competition. He is a 0.5 ppg player for St. Cloud St., which is fine, but not exactly as great as his senior year numbers 73 G - 62 A - 135 P in 31 games would indicate.

The state's leading scorer this year, Tyler Heinonen is another such example. Class A player (vs. Edina and EP Class AA) who wasn't even a Mr. Hockey finalist.
Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you sir.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
ZacUSNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Really good pick in this spot. Surprised they gave up on Grachev so soon, but Fogarty has a lot of upside if he can add some polish to his game.
Why do you think Glen traded for Wolski?

<har har>

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote