HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bieksa re-signing imminent

Old
06-26-2011, 12:51 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Salo is only 36, lots of players move teams at that age. He made 3.5m last year, he won't go to 1.5m for sure, 2.5m maybe. Bieksa made 3.7m and Ehrhoff made 3.1m last year so there gonna make more. On the UFA market both will probably get close to 5.5m . So maybe a little less to stay in Vancouver.
You don't know anything about them, do you?

Bieksa: Loves the city. Loves the team. Leader on the team. Just renovated his house. He plans on following Burrows/Kesler in taking a paycut to help out the team. He'll get around $4.25

Ehrhoff: Likely taking around $5 million, I'm guessing. Any more than that and we let him go.

Salo: I think this will be his last year no matter what happens. Not going to free agency so it's reasonable that he'll take around $1.5 mil.

The Canucks aren't some random team hoping to sign these guys as FAs. Bieksa and Salo have been here for a long time. There's a thing called "hometown discount" you should read up on. They aren't getting market value.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
As a Sharks fan, I thought Hambuis proved that he is a premier defensive d-man in this league during the playoffs. However, I think he would struggle mightily against the Getzlafs, Thorntons, Perrys, and other elite players with size, skill and some grit. Having a mean, physical, and huge d-man like Bieska on his side gives them the perfect compliment, and in turn, the second or third best defensive pairing (defensively that is) in the west, behind Suter-Weber and Seabrook-Keith. Bieska is also the clear offensive threat on that pairing, and an excellent fit as a point weapon when the Canucks forwards are on the ice. Similarly, Bieska is a player who has some major holes to his game, but Hambuis covers most of them.

Also, got to love a guy who loves his team.
Excellent write up and analysis mate. I find far too many people are quick to credit Hamhuis almost exclusively when Bieska became a completely different player since mid season. They compliment each other perfectly, hence why the pairing was fantastic. I do believe Bieska could suit up well on his own, as he has proven.

Moving on, if Salo takes $1.5m. My respect for him just sky rocketed. That amount of underpayment should be thought criminal, even with his injury history.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
Lol someone's gonna be in for a shock when contracts come out
Well, a 2.5 million contract for Sami Salo isn't going to translate into any more than 1.25 in cap hit post-injuries...

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
Well, a 2.5 million contract for Sami Salo isn't going to translate into any more than 1.25 in cap hit post-injuries...
Doesn't work like that. % is taken off of total cap hit for amount of games played.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post

Bieksa: Loves the city. Loves the team. Leader on the team. Just renovated his house. He plans on following Burrows/Kesler in taking a paycut to help out the team. He'll get around $4.25

Ehrhoff: Likely taking around $5 million, I'm guessing. Any more than that and we let him go.

Salo: I think this will be his last year no matter what happens. Not going to free agency so it's reasonable that he'll take around $1.5 mil.

The Canucks aren't some random team hoping to sign these guys as FAs. Bieksa and Salo have been here for a long time. There's a thing called "hometown discount" you should read up on. They aren't getting market value.
For the record, Burrows didn't take a paycut to stay on the team, he just happened to break out after he signed for 4 years. He wouldn't be playing for under 3 million if he signed that contract one year.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
For the record, Burrows didn't take a paycut to stay on the team, he just happened to break out after he signed for 4 years. He wouldn't be playing for under 3 million if he signed that contract one year.
28 G 23 A +23

Had a solid year before he signed the contract and did take a discount because on intangibles alone he'd be at 2 or close to it

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
28 G 23 A +23

Had a solid year before he signed the contract and did take a discount because on intangibles alone he'd be at 2 or close to it
Yes, however he signed the contract mid-season and to that point showed little offensive upside. Had he or his agent thought he would consistently be scoring around 35 goals he would be pulling in 4 million. At that point Burrows was probably just happy that he would have an NHL contract for 4 years because before that season he was a fringe player.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Quote:
Yes, however he signed the contract mid-season and to that point showed little offensive upside. Had he or his agent thought he would consistently be scoring around 35 goals he would be pulling in 4 million. At that point Burrows was probably just happy that he would have an NHL contract for 4 years because before that season he was a fringe player.
Don't know how much you really know about this one but it was pretty clear around here that Burrows left money on the table to get term and because of where he was in the line up (who he played with) and him and his agent Paul (can't remember his last name) both stated in different ways that Burrows gladly took a pretty good hometown discount

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:44 AM
DeltaSwede

All players have stated that they are ready to take a pay cut to stay with the team, especially Salo and Bieksa who have been here for their whole careers.

Salo: 1-year $1-2 million
Bieksa: 5-year $4-4.5 million
Ehrhoff: 7-year $4.5-5 million

Enough cap space to keep the rest of the team as well.

Trade for a 2nd line winger, lot's of assets that have high trade value.

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:53 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
We need to get this hurdle done!

Will only breath a sigh of relief once its signed, sealed and delivered.
I'm yours ? lol

no but in all seriousness If you guys can sign him he deserves it.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:11 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post

Ya ok. Bieksa made 3.75m last year, so he ll settle for a 500 grand raise after the year he just had....
Ehrhoff by your figures will make 5m.
Were getting pretty close to 10m combined by the way.

I think your dreaming if you think Salo will sign for 1.5m because if that was the case he'd be signed by now. Going from 3.5m to 1.5m is one hell of a deal.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:28 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Fish, you have selective memory and are speaking out of your butt. If you open up your mind and forget your anti-Canuck bias you might remember that the NHLPA scolded Burrows about his contract and willingness to sign under market value.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
brent 44

Seriously, just let Salo go. He's injured at least 50% of the time and The Canucks have enough young defencemen that can fill his spot by committee.

Only way I would sign Salo is for 2-way, league minimum.

brent 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Ya ok. Bieksa made 3.75m last year, so he ll settle for a 500 grand raise after the year he just had....
Ehrhoff by your figures will make 5m.
Were getting pretty close to 10m combined by the way.

I think your dreaming if you think Salo will sign for 1.5m because if that was the case he'd be signed by now. Going from 3.5m to 1.5m is one hell of a deal.
Salo isn't signed already because MG wants to get BXA and Hoffa done first so that he knows the amount left that he has to work with to get Salo back.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent 44 View Post
Seriously, just let Salo go. He's injured at least 50% of the time and The Canucks have enough young defencemen that can fill his spot by committee.

Only way I would sign Salo is for 2-way, league minimum.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
HawksTillDeath

I'd love for him to make it to July 1st

even if he ends up a Canuck, at least the price will be driven up

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:26 AM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
I'd love for him to make it to July 1st

even if he ends up a Canuck, at least the price will be driven up
I don't know why Bieska wouldn't wait until July 1st. Who knows some dumb team might offer him six million.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:05 PM
brent 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmaverick View Post

I'm well aware he's a great player when he actually plays. So were Eric Lindros, Cam Neely and Forsberg. Skill is not relevant when your constantly on the IR.

brent 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Doesn't work like that. % is taken off of total cap hit for amount of games played.
I was implying that he will play no more than half the games, which I believe causes it to work the way I said it does. (If I'm still misunderstanding, let me know.)

And on a different note, Burrows definitely took a discount at the time. As a Canucks hater, I was dismayed to see him take 2 million per because I figured he'd easily get more. He definitely took a discount to stay in Vancouver.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Exciting week ahead for the #Canucks. Bieksa deal soon, Salo deal soon, Ehrhoff deal inching closer, and lots of trade/signing speculation
From http://twitter.com/#!/angus_j he posts here but I dont know how credible he is

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
I was implying that he will play no more than half the games, which I believe causes it to work the way I said it does. (If I'm still misunderstanding, let me know.)

And on a different note, Burrows definitely took a discount at the time. As a Canucks hater, I was dismayed to see him take 2 million per because I figured he'd easily get more. He definitely took a discount to stay in Vancouver.
Yeah that's slightly incorrect still.

If Salo signs for $3,000,000 and he plays 50% of the games then his cap hit isn't $1,500,000, it's still the original $3,000,000 but instead of 1/82nd being taken off of the cap hit after every game it's 1/41st

That being said, cap hits don't go down if the team is utilizing LTIR (assuming Salo misses half a season, he would be on LTIR)