HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft spoilers

Old
06-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Draft spoilers

The year Louis Leblanc was selected by the Habs, RDS had a close-up of Timmins' sheet.

This year, someone said that Luc Gélinas spoiled the pick on Twitter.

I was wondering how it was possible. Well, I learned something on RDS.CA

Quote:
19h34 : Comme c’est la norme, RDS, en tant que diffuseur officiel, apprend l’identité du choix des Panthers avant son dévoilement.

C’est confirmé, les Panthers repêcheront Huberdeau, mais seulement au retour d’une pause commerciale qui prolonge le suspense. Debout à quelques mètres de lui, je me retiens d’annoncer la nouvelle pour garder la surprise.
It says that because RDS and TSN are official broadcaster of the draft, they know the picks before the actual selection. Do you guys know if it's because the selection is made by computer before going to the podium?

Anyways, if you like watching the draft, when the Habs pick, turn the channel on TSN and don't check any Twitts...it will be safer if you want to live the moment...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I read that too.

Even though they know it before anyone else, they really shouldn't spoil it. It's classeless.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
RE-HABS

I would be surprised if they knew before the NHL did, pretty sure that has to be information brought forward to the NHL first.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:13 AM
pine*

RDS is ****ing bushleague, so nothing will surprise me anymore.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Protest the Hero

I remember refreshing the draft thread before their pick and someone posted a tweet here that said they would take Beaulieu.

Also, on TSN they showed Beaulieu sitting in his seat just before Montreal would head up on stage, he took his gum out of his mouth, and stuck it to the bottom of his seat. Seems like he knew he would be taken.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:37 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I remember refreshing the draft thread before their pick and someone posted a tweet here that said they would take Beaulieu.

Also, on TSN they showed Beaulieu sitting in his seat just before Montreal would head up on stage, he took his gum out of his mouth, and stuck it to the bottom of his seat. Seems like he knew he would be taken.
Yeah, saw it too and I was like.. I think he knows he is going to be picked and was wondering how lol

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Clipitar

I have to say this has tickled me a bit, but I can't say it bothers me that much considering the selection is made minutes, if not seconds, after that.

RDS is so bad anyway, let them be with their "scoop" gimmick, this gives them the impression they're actually ran by professionals while, in reality, they're just a bunch of amateurs (from their part-time cameraman to Gerry Frappier).

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I was so freaking mad when they spoiled the picks.

Jesus christ what's the purpose of this if there's no suspense?

Bunch of clowns.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
shortcat1

In the world of viciously competing media 'sources', what happened here is just one more example trying to one-up the others - to get the 'scoop', the exclusive news revelation.

Yes, there's a sad sense of rationalism going on (the ends justify the means) but that's the way it has been for a long, long time.

I'm sure you know that it's a cut-throat world where the first to get the inside story does get the public eye. It's sad in a way but there you go.

So, if RDS did what I read they did (I never saw it but I'll take your word for it), my only reaction is: "So what?" I suggest that, if you don't want to get disappointed in the way you did, stay away from the sources that will likely lead to this disappointment.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:34 PM
HabsSlappy

I actually find the media is becoming more and more petty and immature. All these "experts" rushing to their twitter to break news just so they can have a tweet that is 20 seconds before everyone else. The public doesn't really care, it is all so they can impress the other people in the media. It reminds me of a high school popularity contest and I quite frankly miss the days of journalistic integrity and fact checking.

The amount of incorrect "news" is maddening.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
ruski17

The reason Luc gelinas knew beforehand was because everybody knew Tallon was extremly interested on Huberdeau. When their pick cam up, I knew they were drafting him. Ottawa (I think) were also very interested and trie to trade up to get him, but it didn't work out in the end. Beaulieu must have known because the habs were very interested in him before the draft and they flew him over to discuss with him a few times. Look at his twitter, he says things like: taking a flight to MTL to meet with the canadiens, etc.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
The reason Luc gelinas knew beforehand was because everybody knew Tallon was extremly interested on Huberdeau. When their pick cam up, I knew they were drafting him. Ottawa (I think) were also very interested and trie to trade up to get him, but it didn't work out in the end. Beaulieu must have known because the habs were very interested in him before the draft and they flew him over to discuss with him a few times. Look at his twitter, he says things like: taking a flight to MTL to meet with the canadiens, etc.
Yeah but read the original post...the reporter who was following Huberdeau knew Florida was going to pick him because he heard it from somewhere because RDS is an official broadcaster. I don't know how it's working though...

I mean, Pierre McGuire always make some predictions...some are right, some are not...maybe he knows but he miss some on purpose because he must have the same informations as RDS. Or maybe they don't use that information...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Yeah but read the original post...the reporter who was following Huberdeau knew Florida was going to pick him because he heard it from somewhere because RDS is an official broadcaster. I don't know how it's working though...

I mean, Pierre McGuire always make some predictions...some are right, some are not...maybe he knows but he miss some on purpose because he must have the same informations as RDS. Or maybe they don't use that information...
My guess when I read this was that they need to prepare for the interviews. If the pick is from LHJMQ, RDS get the kid first and TSN must interview someone from the organization. Vice Versa. So, in order to be prepared, they need to know in advance...

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Yea i just typed in Luc Gélina's twitter on Google and I saw who we picked about 1 minute before the ¨Live¨ pick on RDS. I hate Twitter.

Oh same thing happened for Couturier.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The year Louis Leblanc was selected by the Habs, RDS had a close-up of Timmins' sheet.

This year, someone said that Luc Gélinas spoiled the pick on Twitter.

I was wondering how it was possible. Well, I learned something on RDS.CA

It says that because RDS and TSN are official broadcaster of the draft, they know the picks before the actual selection. Do you guys know if it's because the selection is made by computer before going to the podium?

Anyways, if you like watching the draft, when the Habs pick, turn the channel on TSN and don't check any Twitts...it will be safer if you want to live the moment...
Well personnally, I prefer to check it on RDS for one good reason. Even though they know, they usually don't care 'cause they don't know the guys. Surely if Quebecers are involve it's another story, if not, they won't bother with it compared to TSN who, last year, seemed to know EVERY SINGLE PICK and announced it before the pick was actually made either by an educated guess or....now we know better.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote