HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Discussion: Penalty Shots To Decide A Tie?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 02:36 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
They should just have continuous sudden death overtime. I know people will say the games will go on for too long, but all they really have to do is take all back-to-back games out of the schedule, or just suck it up like they do in baseball.
I couldn't agree more. The NBA is able to pull off multiple OT's in the regular season. There's no reason why the NHL can't do it.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:18 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
How about a dukeout? Grab five guys from each team, match 'em up--team with the most knockouts wins.

In all seriousness, I agree with everything in Trottier's post. I really don't like a 4 on 4 overtime where you give a LOSER 1 point. Either get rid of overtime or make it continous 5 on 5 and suck it up. Get rid of the damned instigator rule too.

Shootouts? Exciting, yes, but they have no place in NHL games. Sure, I'd love to see more, just not at the sacrifice of the game's team integrity. Take each conference's best goaltender and 5 top scorers and have a mini--all-star shootout every month if you want shootouts. Realistic? No. Better than having shootouts decide games? Yup.

Old
10-17-2003, 04:22 AM
Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroNatic24
Would you be in favor of having penalty shots at the end of a 5 minute 4 on 4 OT period if neither team scored in OT?

This would only apply in the Reg. Season and not effect the current Playoff format...

Why or why not?

I'll hold my opninion for now.
Definately not. A game is too important, and the players have worked too hard, to have a game end as the result of a
joke like a shootout.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:42 AM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
You mean Colorado wins because it has the money to pay bigger name players.. That is unfair. It's a team game and penatly shots take TEAM right out of the game.

Yes, that's what I was saying in my post .

Old
10-17-2003, 07:57 AM
-MrBean-

Well Said Trottier.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:28 AM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Please, no.

Please stop ruining this great game!

Believe it or not, once there was a time, not so long ago, when there was no OT at all during the regular season. Physical play (not to be confused with dirty play) was accepted as an integral part of the game, and two guys dropping their gloves was preferred over guys taking their sticks high to each other's head. Player didn't dive ad neaseum to get calls (with the exception of Bill Barber ). Goalies wore pads, not stuffing and sticks were made of wood, only.

To be fair, the game at that time, lacked any substantive network TV contract in the US, and was a distant fourth among the major pro team sports.

Fast forward 20-25 years. Much "progress" has been made to "improve" the game : OT during the regular season, then an "advanced" form of OT, whereby you can give up a goal and lose...yet not really lose and still be rewarded with a point! Hitting has increasingly been phased out of the game, with penalties now often called (in this fan's view) based on the force of the impact, rather than the legality of the check. Defending one's teammate is discouraged by a silly instigator rule, that has reduced fisticuffs to essentially staged bouts between each team's designated, token goon and taken much spontaneity out of the game. As a by-product, the unwritten law about not using the stick up high on an opponent has disappeared.

And the result?

The NHL still makes barely anything in TV revenue (relative to other major sports), it's popularity in the US has clearly been surpassed by college football and basketball, as well as NASCAR, and - unlike 20 years ago - arena capacity leaguewide is not in the high 90s, percentage-wise, anymore.

Progress.

Now you want to have the NHL equivalent of the slamdunk or homerun derby (accentuating individual over team) added to the mix?

No thanks. Keep shootouts for the Olympics, beer leagues and Pee Wees.

The sport has been damaged enough.

Probably the best post I've ever read.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:15 AM
evildreams

vCash:
i have always promited this type of gimmick.

#1 entertainment-wise, it'd attract more fans; either way, one team will win, and that is all fans ask for.
#2 if teams want to win these shootouts, you'd see many goons loose their jobs to more skilled players; GREAT incentive all by itself!

Old
10-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
In the SEL this rule is already applied since two seasons ago, but IMO it doesn't work at all. It might be fun to watch but it's like a lottery and I prefer a game to end tied after OT.

Old
10-17-2003, 03:01 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
In the SEL this rule is already applied since two seasons ago, but IMO it doesn't work at all. It might be fun to watch but it's like a lottery and I prefer a game to end tied after OT.
I rather have the OT and end in a tie..
what happens if they do the shoot out and both teams get the same amount of scores??

Old
10-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I agree with Trottier....

leave it be...

no more .. please...no more....

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
I think there should be, I cant stand ties. Only on regular season games, never on playoffs games though

Old
10-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Mizral

I think Hockey Purists are in the wrong here.

Yes, hockey is a team sport. In the regular season, however, most of the games are not extremely important. What's more important to you - the league balancing it's chequebooks and growing, or keeping around the boring 'ol tie?

Imagine something like this:

60 minutes of 5 on 5 regulation hockey.

IF there is a tie, you play 4 on 4 overtime hockey for a 5 minute period - if a team loses, they are NOT awarded a loser point

IF there's a tie after that, play a shootout - if a team loses the shootout, they *ARE* awarded a loser point.

Wins, Losses, and Shootout Losses (W - L - SHL)

Goals on the shootouts would not count to stats, but I suppose teams could keep track of it.

Two other key points:

- No shootouts in the post-season. Period.

- Normal shootout rules apply

Now what's so wrong about that? Can you imagine how much more exciting things would be? Remember how exciting the shootout at the All-Star game was last year? There is ZERO reason the league doesn't have more of this.

As for the person who said 'Well, it makes it too easy for teams like Ottawa & Colorado' - tough *******. Sorry, skilled teams OUGHT to win more than they lose. And even still, the team that lost in the shootout would still get a point.

I would be vehemently against it in the post-season though.

Anyways, this would be a major boon to the league. I wish they would implement it as I posted there, but no doubt they will not.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You take out the point for getting to OT and teams will start playing conservative in the 3rd again to get to overtime, then play not to lose in overtime, so they can get to the shootout to get the point.

As far as being a purist goes. Have they always had a redline? How many skaters where on the ice at a time for each team originally?

Old
10-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
In the SEL the winning team after a shoot out or OT is awarded 2 points and the losing team 1 point. A regular win is worth 3 points. Only the game winning penalty shot is counted in the stats.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Sanderson

The good teams like Colorado and Ottawa wouldn't necessarily win many shoot outs. Hot goalies can easily get a win for weaker teams.

In Germany for example, Cologne (2002 Champion, lost in the finals last season) was the worst team in shoot outs last year. They won only 3 out of 18, although they were one of the best teams.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:03 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I know many people still like "old school" hockey, but something needs to be done. I wouldn't want a shoot out but something like making the net taller and wider to increase scoring.Casual fans want to see teams score goals, not play boring hockey.Boring Hockey may win championships,but it won't win TV ratings.Bettman and Co. need to devise something to get all teams averaging around 3 goals a game.With teams averaging 2.51 goals a game this year, it's getting really boring.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
I rather have the OT and end in a tie..
what happens if they do the shoot out and both teams get the same amount of scores??
u Keep going until you have a winner, very exciting to watch

Old
10-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
You take out the point for getting to OT and teams will start playing conservative in the 3rd again to get to overtime, then play not to lose in overtime, so they can get to the shootout to get the point.

As far as being a purist goes. Have they always had a redline? How many skaters where on the ice at a time for each team originally?
Solution to this is changing the reward for a regulation win to 3 pts like lots of sports in Europe have already done to reward winning a lot more than playing for the tie like numerous teams do today

I am clearly for a change that will bring

3pts for regulation win

2pts for OT 4-4 5min win or win in penalty shot stage of the game

1pt for OT 4-4 5min loss or lost the penalty shots

0pt for Loss in regulation

It will benefit teams that win lots of games like it should be

a reworked list of last years standing will show this for the East

Note i did NOT look up which wins came out from OT wins since that statistic is not at 2secs reach for all team

And i will for simple measure count the Ties as OTL for all teams

Ottawa 53 20 9 168 pts
NJ 46 20 16 154 pts
Flyers 45 20 17 152 pts
Leafs 44 28 10 142 pts
Was 39 29 14 131 pts
Tampa 37 24 21 132 pts
Boston 36 31 15 123 pts
NYI 34 35 13 115 pts
NYR 31 37 14 107 pts

No changes in placements here but a huge huge gain for the fans watching the games so i am clearly for it

Closed Thread