HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers announce Chris Drury buyout

Old
06-26-2011, 02:24 PM
bscharf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
What? What's funny? I was being sarcastic about the stats comment. Eriksson is a good player. You don't think he'll be ok without Richards?
Didnt realize you were being sarcastic! my bad bud.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it screws with our summer cap, esp if we are looking to add a 2nd big name player.

Would I be correct in thinking that Slats doesn't have to buy Drury out next week because he can wait, take one RFA to arb, thereby activating the second buyout window and do it then?

This would enable him to sign Richards (hopefully) on July 1st with the $ he hasn't used to sign Dubi, Cally, et all RFAs...

He would then know if he NEEDED to buy out Drury. If he has to do it he can, but if he can fit BR, and sign the rest WITHOUT exceeding the summer cap (even with Redden's arse on there) he would then NOT buy Drury out, and place him on LTIR at the start of the season, and then not have the dead space this season and next.

Obviously this would be moot if he wanted to go out and get himself another LW, but in that case wouldn't Wolski be the better option to buy-out?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Would I be correct in thinking that Slats doesn't have to buy Drury out next week because he can wait, take one RFA to arb, thereby activating the second buyout window and do it then?

This would enable him to sign Richards (hopefully) on July 1st with the $ he hasn't used to sign Dubi, Cally, et all RFAs...

He would then know if he NEEDED to buy out Drury. If he has to do it he can, but if he can fit BR, and sign the rest WITHOUT exceeding the summer cap (even with Redden's arse on there) he would then NOT buy Drury out, and place him on LTIR at the start of the season, and then not have the dead space this season and next.

Obviously this would be moot if he wanted to go out and get himself another LW, but in that case wouldn't Wolski be the better option to buy-out?

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it.
By August, you never know what happens. Drury could change his mind and file his papers for that injury BS. You can't wait until August with Drury, it's now or never.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
By August, you never know what happens. Drury could change his mind and file his papers for that injury BS. You can't wait until August with Drury, it's now or never.
In that case we're right back to where we were yestreday...

He would have to not sign one of the RFAs until he could enact the LTIR, or waive Redden.

This isn't to say that he wouldn't have an agreement with said RFA just wouldn't sign the contract until after Redden/Drury become non-issues.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stop reading Spector's analysis of the CBA. For some reason,Spector thinks the Rangers group II's which are eligible for arbitration won't file. Callahan filed in 2009. Dubinsky will definitely file by July 5 considering was not eligible last time and he is not waiting until September to sign again. Why won't Boyle and Sauer file? They both had really good years. Redden can't come off the cap until October 5. If Drury goes on LTI(it changes every few days),he will be on the cap until October 5 and the Rangers could exceed the cap if they are at or near the upper limit. CBA states last day of training camp. Season begins October 6.

Sather is not going to spend any money until Richards signs(whether its with the Rangers or not). He is the top priority. Then the Rangers can begin re-signing their own players. The arbitration eligible players can file on July 5 and the Rangers can take a player to arbitration on the July 6 club filing date. The hearings don't begin until July 20-21 and they end August 4. The Rangers usually sign their players after the file and before the hearing dates. If the Rangers have two arbitration cases(CBA says more than 1),the Rangers have a 2nd buyout window. They have 48 hours after the final settlement or award of their cases to complete a buyout. The CBA calendar determines the Rangers moves.

A Drury buyout or a trade for another bad contract opens up the money in the summer cap.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
This^

Drury will be bought out before Thursday, Sather is not going to mess around with this one to have Drury change his mind again. I won't be too shocked to see Drury is bought out tomorrow just to get it done, I'm hoping Sather won't let this go down to the wire. The sooner Drury is bought out he can put all his focus on Brad Richards and and other targets (because we all know Sather is not just going to sign one UFA).

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:01 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Drury can reject going on waivers. His NMC gives him that option. He just becomes a free agent with the buyout.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241569
i'm really confused what the difference is...besides hoping that someone is stupid enough to claim him on waivers.

so we have to waive him before a buyout and after he clears we pay him 2/3 of the remaining $$ spread over 2 years and drury is a UFA

OR

drury refuses to go on waivers, and we buy him out anyway at 2/3 pay and drury is a ufa

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

So what does this mean now?

Brendan Shanahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:06 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it screws with our summer cap, esp if we are looking to add a 2nd big name player.
true but there are no 2nd big name ufas so that deal will have to be a trade most likely...

we could also buyout wolski instead to free up the same summer cap space and then have another $7 mil to work with during the season with drury on LTIR...just throwing out another option

Old
06-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
true but there are no 2nd big name ufas so that deal will have to be a trade most likely...

we could also buyout wolski instead to free up the same summer cap space and then have another $7 mil to work with during the season with drury on LTIR...just throwing out another option
Wolski is working with Underhill, I highly doubt they plan on buying him out now. They probably told him what they want him to do and he is doing it to prove to Sather and Torts he will do whatever they want from him to turn his career around.

After Richards there are some options

1st line LW:
Do we bring back Prospal? Such a huge risk, I see them going after Jussi Jokinen, Andrew Brunette (who would be a stop gap and has played well with Gaborik in the past) or possibly Gagne or even Erik Cole

Puck moving d-man:
Is Erixon going to run our PP with Richards? Do they want Pitkanen? He has Sather written all over him and may be too costly for the Canes, but not for us if we buyout Drury and go with 2 cheaper kids up front (Hagelin/Thomas/Zucc) as opposed to a costly UFA 1st line lwer and medium range 3rd line winger

Old
06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I have a feeling Torts would chew Pitkanen up and spit him out.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I have a feeling Torts would chew Pitkanen up and spit him out.
Pan
I tend to agree with you, though his defensive play has really improved over the past few years, he still has his lapses. If Pitkanen is signed it is because Sather is a fan not Torts. However since Torts has become the coach Sather has signed Torts guys like Feds and Prospal and sprinkled in some of his guys like Gaborik, Brash, Biron, and the late Boogard. I think Sather and Torts have a good relationship and are really working together to make sure the players Sather signs are guys that Torts wants and fit his system.

That's why I expect Richards to be signed and Feds to be re-signed.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:25 PM
NYRCC

all this cole talk is making me sick. god, no.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
all this cole talk is making me sick. god, no.
Huh? Cole is a very good player and would fit in with this team's newly found identity very nicely. He'd be a better option than Gagne, Brunette, Jokinen, or any other free agent wingers being mentioned.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

You can't be serious with this Brad Richards is messiah and will make anyone around him better VS. Eriksson can't do anything by himself. Give it a rest. Stop getting your hopes up to levels that will make you regret later on. I'm hoping for around 70 points from Richards.

Eriksson is a solid 2 way player. He's the closest thing they've gotten to a Lehtinen in Dallas. In fact, his offensive game is almost twice as good as Lehtinens was. I don't even think he's up for trade but I would love to have him.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You can't be serious with this Brad Richards is messiah and will make anyone around him better VS. Eriksson can't do anything by himself.
Noone said that, but that hasnt stopped you from using ridiculous hyperbole before.

Star this thread if you have to - if you're right about Eriksson, he'll produce a 70 point season without Richards this year. Word to the wise though, I wouldnt put your money where your mouth is with that one.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Vitto79

do we not only have enough money to sign Richards, RFAs then bring back Feds if its not too much?

I think G and D are set with what we see. maybe an invite or vet on two way deal but thats about it

We need to leave some space for a move at the deadline

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:44 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
do we not only have enough money to sign Richards, RFAs then bring back Feds if its not too much?

I think G and D are set with what we see. maybe an invite or vet on two way deal but thats about it

We need to leave some space for a move at the deadline
I posted this in the trade forum thread this morning, but ti's applicable to your question. It all depends on whether we end up with a buyout or LTIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
It's debatable.

Under the no buyout scenario - the Rangers have enough space to offer UFAs (not including their own RFAs) approximately $10m (over the summer) if they do not buyout Drury (or Wolski). Once the season starts, Drury would go on LTIR, and the Rangers would be able to exceed the cap by $7.05m (meaning they could acquire $7.05m worth of salary after training camp without having to move anyone off the roster).

Under the buyout scenario - the Rangers have enough space to offer UFAs (not including their own RFAs) approximately $13.3m (over the summer and during the season) if they do buyout Drury (or Wolski). However, they wouldn't have the benefit of any money opening up due to LTIR, and would have to move out salary during the season if they wanted to add a player. They would also have $1.67m in dead space in 2012-2013.

Personally, I think both have their merits, and one isn't substantially better than the other. Under either scenario the Rangers can pursue Richards and the depth LW and D that they require. Under the second scenario, they would be able to also pursue a mid-tier wing UFA during the summer (Gagne? Jokinen? Cole?). Under the first scenario, they would not be able to add a mid-tier UFA during the summer, but could absorb significant salary during the season (ie: trade for a #1LW or #2LW or upgrade other positions while taking more salary back) and not have $1.67m in dead space in 2012-2013.

It's really in the eyes of the beholder I suppose. EDIT: Gun to my head, I still prefer the LTIR solution.
EDIT: With regards to how we divy up the money for the UFAs, I'd say our holes are (assuming Wolski is not bought out, but Drury is bought out or on LTIR):

1 top 6 center
1 2nd-3rd line LW
1 bottom pairing defenseman/#7 dman (debatable need, depending on whether you're willing to use Valentenko as the #7 dman, which I am, but I'll leave it as a hole anyway).

So if we go the buyout route, we have about ~$13.3m to fill those slots during the summer. If we go the LTIR route, we have ~$10m to fill out those slots (but will have $7.05m once the season starts, so we don't necessarily have to fill all of the holes now).

Under the LTIR scenario, penciling in Richards for $7.5m leaves us ~$1.25m for that 2nd or 3rd line LW (Fedotenko, would be my preference) and ~$1.25m for a bottom pairing/#7 dman (Eminger would make me perfectly content).

Under the buyout scenario, we'd have around $3m more to upgrade Fedotenko to a top 6 LW, to upgrade Eminger to a top 4 dman, or to divy up the additional cap space elsewhere. Personally, without setting lines, I'd prefer the following depth going into the season:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Avery
C: Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle
RW: Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust
D: Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Erixon, Del Zotto
Extra Forward: Christensen/Weise
Extra Defenseman: Valentenko/Eminger

That lineup should be doable regardless of the buyout or LTIR. If you go the buyout route, you should have $3m more to spend somewhere on July 1st.

Last edited by azrok22: 06-26-2011 at 07:53 PM.
azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:24 PM
CM PUNK

so does anyone know/understand what happens if drury blocks us from putting him on waivers? what does that mean for his buyout and cap hit?

Old
06-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I posted this in the trade forum thread this morning, but ti's applicable to your question. It all depends on whether we end up with a buyout or LTIR.

EDIT: With regards to how we divy up the money for the UFAs, I'd say our holes are (assuming Wolski is not bought out, but Drury is bought out or on LTIR):

1 top 6 center
1 2nd-3rd line LW
1 bottom pairing defenseman/#7 dman (debatable need, depending on whether you're willing to use Valentenko as the #7 dman, which I am, but I'll leave it as a hole anyway).

So if we go the buyout route, we have about ~$13.3m to fill those slots during the summer. If we go the LTIR route, we have ~$10m to fill out those slots (but will have $7.05m once the season starts, so we don't necessarily have to fill all of the holes now).

Under the LTIR scenario, penciling in Richards for $7.5m leaves us ~$1.25m for that 2nd or 3rd line LW (Fedotenko, would be my preference) and ~$1.25m for a bottom pairing/#7 dman (Eminger would make me perfectly content).

Under the buyout scenario, we'd have around $3m more to upgrade Fedotenko to a top 6 LW, to upgrade Eminger to a top 4 dman, or to divy up the additional cap space elsewhere. Personally, without setting lines, I'd prefer the following depth going into the season:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Avery
C: Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle
RW: Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust
D: Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Erixon, Del Zotto
Extra Forward: Christensen/Weise
Extra Defenseman: Valentenko/Eminger

That lineup should be doable regardless of the buyout or LTIR. If you go the buyout route, you should have $3m more to spend somewhere on July 1st.
yea I can see what your saying. That is exactly what I want............I see why you would like Eminger back but I dont think he accepts a two way

the top 4 D are set I could see Erixon and Valentenko as the final pair and they may send DZ down to start if he does not impress.

At that pt they could just go with 6 D on the roster and call up DZ if someone goes down...............I do want a two deal for a vet in the minors. Should be some out there

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, yes I have. With Brad Richards, in fact, which was the whole point of my post. What would impress me is if he could score 70 points this season without BR (he wont)
Richards played 56 games and scored 48 points in 08-09, Eriksson still had 63 points. Of course Richards makes him a better player, but he isn't going to revert back to his first two years where he scores less than 35 in less than 70 games.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Eriksson is a very good offensive player, so I doubt his scoring falls off too much. It should drop some, however. There is no replacing the kind of factor that Richards is offensively. Granted, they have Ribeiro. Personally, I'm not a big fan, and he's certainly no Richards, but he can make things happen. I don't know if the plan is to play him with Morrow and Loui as the first line, but I imagine that's most likely, with Benn centering their second line.

Loui is clearly their best offensive player at this point, IMO. The point that Richards can do for Dubinsky what he did for Neal, however, is also valid. Dubinsky can easily score 65 points on a line with Richards and Gaborik.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Noone said that, but that hasnt stopped you from using ridiculous hyperbole before.

Star this thread if you have to - if you're right about Eriksson, he'll produce a 70 point season without Richards this year. Word to the wise though, I wouldnt put your money where your mouth is with that one.
You clearly said Eriksson will see a drop-off without Richards -- giving Richards all the credit for making him the player he is. There is no hyperbole. Just stating your posts in this thread.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:37 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You clearly said Eriksson will see a drop-off without Richards -- giving Richards all the credit for making him the player he is. There is no hyperbole. Just stating your posts in this thread.
But why would Eriksson be able to have a productive season without Richards? He's only an All-Star.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I have a feeling that we're about to get a surprise on defense. I think the Ed Jovanoski rumors may hold some water. And for the reasons I've stated in other threads, at the right price that's a great signing. He can give you 15-18 top 4 minutes a game on the third pair, run the second power play unit and step up if there are injuries. It's the perfect role for him.

After Richards, I just do see them bringing in another forward unless the plan is to buy out Wolski. The dollars just aren't there. Jokinen played for Torts' in Tampa. He's certainly got a POV on him.

I can't imaging the Drury dance won't involve another team. Too much upside in swapping for another bad contract that can be cleaned up.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote