HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Barnes article

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2003, 11:45 AM
  #1
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 500
Barnes article

I was reading through this this morning, and I found myself agreeing with pretty much every word. There have been a lot of proposals out there, where the Oilers give up Comrie for pretty mediocre players, and I say "Why?" So does Lowe, apparently.

Quote from Lowe:

"If we ever traded Mike Comrie, and that's a big if, it would have to be for a very high-end player, one we would view as a top six forward or a high-end, top two or three defenceman."

I agree. Why give up an asset like Comrie for something that may or may not help out this year. If you can't get full value for him, don't trade him. It would be a waste. Who knows? His value might go through the roof closer to the trade deadline.

A part of me wants this whole Comrie thing settled right away, even if that means trading him off. But the part of me that has actually done some thinking would rather Lowe take his time (regardless of what happens on the ice) and get a deal that will help the Oilers in the bigger picture. I for one wouldn't be happy if Lowe sacrificed Comrie for a couple of maybes just to try to get a couple extra points this year. Not worth it in my opinion.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 01:51 PM
  #2
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I was reading through this this morning, and I found myself agreeing with pretty much every word. There have been a lot of proposals out there, where the Oilers give up Comrie for pretty mediocre players, and I say "Why?" So does Lowe, apparently.

Quote from Lowe:

"If we ever traded Mike Comrie, and that's a big if, it would have to be for a very high-end player, one we would view as a top six forward or a high-end, top two or three defenceman."

I agree. Why give up an asset like Comrie for something that may or may not help out this year. If you can't get full value for him, don't trade him. It would be a waste. Who knows? His value might go through the roof closer to the trade deadline.

A part of me wants this whole Comrie thing settled right away, even if that means trading him off. But the part of me that has actually done some thinking would rather Lowe take his time (regardless of what happens on the ice) and get a deal that will help the Oilers in the bigger picture. I for one wouldn't be happy if Lowe sacrificed Comrie for a couple of maybes just to try to get a couple extra points this year. Not worth it in my opinion.
Another KLo quote I like. And one that shows his intelligence, as well as his heart. I have no doubt that he will only do a deal if he thinks it is best for the Oilers.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 02:15 PM
  #3
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
I agree that Lowe should be patient, and I hope he is because he needs to get the return that he was speaking of.

Meanwhile, I hope he considers some other moves to make this team stronger while Comrie sits. If Lowe is truely going to be patient with this, it could mean waiting until the trade deadline, or until after the CBA is resolved.

Being early in the season, I think the Oilers could grab an experienced veteran off of a number of teams' rosters for a late round pick. Once the season is 20-30 games underway, these players may be harder to grab on the cheap given injuries, etc. These would be guys that could stay on after a Comrie deal to be an extra forward/depth player, or could be released/waived if necessary... Espen Knutsen or Manny Malhotra would be two examples.

Alternately, there may be one or two promising prospects that had disappointing camps (ala Rita) that we could grab now, before they turn things around... Milan Kraft comes to mind as an example.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 02:24 PM
  #4
TheBrew
Registered User
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 540
Espen Knutsen i saw him play against vancouver and he look pretty good out there and he knock Bertuzzi on his ass.

TheBrew is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 03:10 PM
  #5
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,794
vCash: 500
i too was very happy to read this article..... thats pretty much EXACTLY the quotes that i wanted to hear from lowe on this matter..... its nice to see that he isnt going to take the first thing that comes his way.... and personally i would liek to see him wait util near the trade deadline when some teams might look to comrie as a player that could "put them over the top"..... deals like this happen all the time and we could possibly get a lot more for him then

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 03:21 PM
  #6
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
It's time for my Annual, "hold onto him until the draft and try to trade up for Ovechkin" speech...... well..... you know what I want to say

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM
  #7
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i too was very happy to read this article..... thats pretty much EXACTLY the quotes that i wanted to hear from lowe on this matter..... its nice to see that he isnt going to take the first thing that comes his way.... and personally i would liek to see him wait util near the trade deadline when some teams might look to comrie as a player that could "put them over the top"..... deals like this happen all the time and we could possibly get a lot more for him then
A mid season or draft day blockbuster makes more sense to me. I don't know that any GM would view a cold MC as someone who could "put them over the top" for the playoffs.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 04:08 PM
  #8
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
The article is nice and everything, and if this was 1971 it would be a perfect posture. However, it's 2003 and the player/management relationship isn't what it was 30 years ago.

Lowe is certainly within his right to wait on Comrie, and hope he'll come back. However, Comrie is within his right to request a trade and wait until it's complete. This isn't Yashin not honoring a contract, Comrie played his 3 seasons.

This article makes it sound like Lowe is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

The Oilers aren't that good.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 04:23 PM
  #9
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
And quite frankly, what the hell else is Lowe supposed to say. He's got to do his best to sell to the other 29 GMs that he's not in a hurry to trade Comrie. By doing that, he ensure that he gets maximum return for him. I admire Lowe but he's just doing what he should be doing.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-17-2003, 04:55 PM
  #10
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Lowe is certainly within his right to wait on Comrie, and hope he'll come back. However, Comrie is within his right to request a trade and wait until it's complete. This isn't Yashin not honoring a contract, Comrie played his 3 seasons.

This article makes it sound like Lowe is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

The Oilers aren't that good.
Yeah, Comrie can request the trade, but he shouldn't expect it any time soon. It's basically saying that Lowe isn't going to rip off his own team in order to make Comrie happy. And there's no way he should.

I don't see it as Lowe willing to cut off his nose to spite his face. He's not going to make this team much better by sloughing Comrie off for a couple of average players. Neither for now nor the future. It's more like he's cutting off a small part of the nose with the hope that the whole face will be better off after the whole face stoppage of 2004. I just don't think this year is important enough to give it more priority than the years with a new CBA.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:44 AM
  #11
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I just don't think this year is important enough to give it more priority than the years with a new CBA.
I concur 100%.

Wrong analogy. This is about losing a battle to win the war. And precisely because "the oilers aren't that good".

oilswell is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:59 AM
  #12
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
I concur 100%.

Wrong analogy. This is about losing a battle to win the war. And precisely because "the oilers aren't that good".

Lowe and the owners are certainly clawing back this season, but in the case of Comrie it is reasonable to ask the question "for what purpose?"

If Lowe genuinely believes that he can get Comrie back in the fold at 1.7 or 2.1, I could buy at least part of the argument. However, from what we've read it isn't all about the money, and Comrie will indeed sit out as long as it takes.

I remember many years ago Bobby Hull held out on the Blackhawks, and they just waited him out. He had no options. He returned for the usual money, and the headlines were basically "Hull returns humbled".

The only way this works out for Lowe is if Comrie gives in completely, and signs. IF he's willing to go this far, I expect he's willing to walk another mile or two.

Meanwhile, the Oilers return is zero, and they're not in a position to wait this thing out for an entire season unless Lowe has decided to flush the season. This seems a stretch.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:04 AM
  #13
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Holding on to Comrie for the whole season won't prove anything. Lowe will have proved his point after one or two months. There is a fine line between not giving in to Comrie and hurting the hockey. Regardless of the CBA war next year, the main goal in the NHL is winning and Comrie or a return for Comrie will help Edmonton achieve this goal best.

IMO, Lowe will ultimately do what is best for the team and that is to help it win. And as far as not being able to trade Comrie, that's a load of crap. Like the article in the Sun today, if Smyth keeps improving at centre, maybe Lowe doesn't have to trade for another centre. The potential suitors are going to start lining up. The Ducks are struggling, so are the Maple Leaves. I'm sure Lowe can get things done. If not, he's just not trying hard enough.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
  #14
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Holding on to Comrie for the whole season won't prove anything. Lowe will have proved his point after one or two months. There is a fine line between not giving in to Comrie and hurting the hockey. Regardless of the CBA war next year, the main goal in the NHL is winning and Comrie or a return for Comrie will help Edmonton achieve this goal best.

IMO, Lowe will ultimately do what is best for the team and that is to help it win. And as far as not being able to trade Comrie, that's a load of crap. Like the article in the Sun today, if Smyth keeps improving at centre, maybe Lowe doesn't have to trade for another centre. The potential suitors are going to start lining up. The Ducks are struggling, so are the Maple Leaves. I'm sure Lowe can get things done. If not, he's just not trying hard enough.
But the issue's not about proving anything to Comrie. In fact, it has nothing to do with Comrie's needs, wants, cares, or thoughts. It has everything to do with Lowe getting maximum value for Comrie if and when he decides to trade him. Having Comrie sitting out may hurt the hockey now, but trading him and not getting full value will possibly hurt for years in the future, as the article suggests with the Satan example.

The Sun article has very average players coming back in return for Comrie. Is that what this team really needs? More average players? How will some of those players (Lundmark, Mezei, for example) help the Oilers this year anyway? Lowe's asking price for Comrie is very high, and we've heard he hasn't received any offers that interest him at all. Until he gets one that does, I don't see what the drawback is of waiting. It may hurt the team this year, but there's more to winning than winning now. This team is not in the position to be trading very talented players for mediocre returns out of desperation. I don't want to see the day that that is the case.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 10:25 AM
  #15
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But the issue's not about proving anything to Comrie. In fact, it has nothing to do with Comrie's needs, wants, cares, or thoughts. It has everything to do with Lowe getting maximum value for Comrie if and when he decides to trade him. Having Comrie sitting out may hurt the hockey now, but trading him and not getting full value will possibly hurt for years in the future, as the article suggests with the Satan example.

The Sun article has very average players coming back in return for Comrie. Is that what this team really needs? More average players? How will some of those players (Lundmark, Mezei, for example) help the Oilers this year anyway? Lowe's asking price for Comrie is very high, and we've heard he hasn't received any offers that interest him at all. Until he gets one that does, I don't see what the drawback is of waiting. It may hurt the team this year, but there's more to winning than winning now. This team is not in the position to be trading very talented players for mediocre returns out of desperation. I don't want to see the day that that is the case.

agreed!! fully. maximum return for comrie or he can sit for 2 years until arbitration. unless he wants to sign... I will still welcome him back with open arms.

s7ark is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 11:35 AM
  #16
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But the issue's not about proving anything to Comrie. In fact, it has nothing to do with Comrie's needs, wants, cares, or thoughts. It has everything to do with Lowe getting maximum value for Comrie if and when he decides to trade him. Having Comrie sitting out may hurt the hockey now, but trading him and not getting full value will possibly hurt for years in the future, as the article suggests with the Satan example.

The Sun article has very average players coming back in return for Comrie. Is that what this team really needs? More average players? How will some of those players (Lundmark, Mezei, for example) help the Oilers this year anyway? Lowe's asking price for Comrie is very high, and we've heard he hasn't received any offers that interest him at all. Until he gets one that does, I don't see what the drawback is of waiting. It may hurt the team this year, but there's more to winning than winning now. This team is not in the position to be trading very talented players for mediocre returns out of desperation. I don't want to see the day that that is the case.
I agree with this. However, unless there is a resolution to the CBA, Comrie's value will likely peak at the trading deadline IMHO. Even though the other players around the league will also be sitting or playing in a sub-standard during the lockout - having Comrie away from the game for 2 years will only hurt the chances of getting maximum return.

The biggest reason for this will be the young players coming up that may be ready for a look at the big time... we don't need to look any further than Edmonton for an example of this - because if Niinimaki comes in ready to play for the 2005-06 season, then Comrie's value to the Oilers is automatically declined.

Detroit might be ready to give up a guy like Hudler now, but will they be so anxious in 2005? At that point we will have to start looking at obtaining prospects that would not be ready until about 2007.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 01:32 PM
  #17
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I agree with this. However, unless there is a resolution to the CBA, Comrie's value will likely peak at the trading deadline IMHO.
imo Comrie's value is at its peak right now. At the trade deadline, teams may be looking for rentals but are unlikely to move anything in the form of NHL calibre help. They'll be moving picks and prospects.

Nick Kypreos just mentioned on Rogers Sportsnet that Lowe doesn't like what he's being offered, which could certainly be a reason for Comrie not being moved by now.

As for Brownlee's article, to me it was the most balanced and honest look at Comrie's trade value at this time I've seen yet.

If he'd had another 30 goal season last year, then I'd agree the Oilers could ask for the moon. But he didn't, so Comrie is in the Gomez/Lundmark and a pick range imo.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 05:34 PM
  #18
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
As much as you may hate Cherry, he thinks the dispute is about money. They talked about Comrie for about 10 seconds after the Toronto-Montreal game on HNIC. Ron McLean asked Cherry about the Comrie situation. Cherry said it was about money. Cherry went onto say that the Oilers are playing hardball because of Comrie's entry-level contract. He also mentions that Comrie went back to junior because he originally didn't get the contract he wanted. Cherry says that the contract situation is now in Lowe's hand. To me it seemed that Cherry was in Lowe's side.

IMO, Lowe is also sending a message that players drafted in the third round shouldn't be given entry-level contracts that first rounders get.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:44 PM
  #19
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But the issue's not about proving anything to Comrie. In fact, it has nothing to do with Comrie's needs, wants, cares, or thoughts. It has everything to do with Lowe getting maximum value for Comrie if and when he decides to trade him. Having Comrie sitting out may hurt the hockey now, but trading him and not getting full value will possibly hurt for years in the future, as the article suggests with the Satan example.

The Sun article has very average players coming back in return for Comrie. Is that what this team really needs? More average players? How will some of those players (Lundmark, Mezei, for example) help the Oilers this year anyway? Lowe's asking price for Comrie is very high, and we've heard he hasn't received any offers that interest him at all. Until he gets one that does, I don't see what the drawback is of waiting. It may hurt the team this year, but there's more to winning than winning now. This team is not in the position to be trading very talented players for mediocre returns out of desperation. I don't want to see the day that that is the case.
I agree with you that Lowe should get maximum return for Comrie, hence my statement saying that he has to do what's best for the team. He shouldn't "settle" for a certain player if he can get more. But what is fair value for Comrie? Do you know it? I don't. More importantly, does Lowe know what it is? Fair value is very hard to determine and Lowe has to make sure that he won't miss out somewhere.

The Sabres sat Peca for a year and it can be debated whether or not they got a fair value for him.

As far as Lowe not trying to prove a point, I think you're wrong. How many times have we heard, when taking about the Comrie situation, when he signed his first contract, he held a gun to the Oilers' head to get a good deal? Now, Lowe wants to sign Comrie under his terms. Again, tonight on HNIC, the Comrie issue came up and they talk about how Lowe now has the upper edge. In numerous interviews in the past, Lowe sounded extremely annoyed when discussing Comrie.

My point is: If Lowe doesn't get the deal he wants, then I hope he doesn't trade Comrie. But I hope he won't pass on a potentially good trade just so he can have Comrie sit.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
  #20
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
The Sabres did damn good in what they got for him - just happens that the guys they got haven't lived up to expectations. Again, I can't say enough about keeping him until the draft and trying to get the first OV pick with him as bate to take a downgrade in picks!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:56 PM
  #21
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
The Sabres did damn good in what they got for him - just happens that the guys they got haven't lived up to expectations. Again, I can't say enough about keeping him until the draft and trying to get the first OV pick with him as bate to take a downgrade in picks!
So how does that help the Sabres? The Sabres did a good job but the players haven't lived up to expectations? I don't get your statement. If they did a good job, it wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't have brought it up.

Yanner39 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.