HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Zetterberg & Datsyuk

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Dirtydownshift

vCash: 500
I'm surprised no other team has put down an offer sheet for either Zetterberg or Datsyuk. If Zetterberg's asking $2.5M and you're a GM with a need, why not throw down a 4 year $10-12M offer sheet and give up the 1st & 3rd round compensatory picks to Detroit if he signs and the Wings don't match? I think a 1st and 3rd rounder would be worth the trade for Zetterberg if he'd sign a minimum 4 year deal.

Sounds like Datsyuk's wanting more. If he could be signed to a 4 year $16M offer sheet, the offering team would give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder. Seems worth it when you know the player you're getting in return. On the other hand, an offer sheet going over $4M per year would cost at least two 1st rounders, 2nd & 3rd, which would probably be too much to give up.

After years of seeing Detroit being able to take, it'd be kind of fun to see a team take from them. If nothing else, it gets Detroit off their butt and blow the rest of their salary cap room.

Old
09-02-2005, 07:51 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Nope. Wings saw that last year with Fedorov. Wings couldn't resign him and he goes to Anaheim.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Zetterberg is more likely to sign but don't know about Datsyuk.
Didn't Fedorov sign in Anaheim for less than he could have got in Detroit?

Anyway, it would be tough to give up either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Datsyuk is easily the more exciting player though. I'd hang onto Datsyuk if a gun was put to my head. He's proven he can score 30 goals in the NHL, he's just now coming out.

Old
09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky
Didn't Fedorov sign in Anaheim for less than he could have got in Detroit?

Anyway, it would be tough to give up either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. Datsyuk is easily the more exciting player though. I'd hang onto Datsyuk if a gun was put to my head. He's proven he can score 30 goals in the NHL, he's just now coming out.
No more actually. Anaheim offered the 5th year and made a bunch of the years player options

Old
09-02-2005, 02:40 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat110
I'm surprised no other team has put down an offer sheet for either Zetterberg or Datsyuk. If Zetterberg's asking $2.5M and you're a GM with a need, why not throw down a 4 year $10-12M offer sheet and give up the 1st & 3rd round compensatory picks to Detroit if he signs and the Wings don't match? I think a 1st and 3rd rounder would be worth the trade for Zetterberg if he'd sign a minimum 4 year deal.

Sounds like Datsyuk's wanting more. If he could be signed to a 4 year $16M offer sheet, the offering team would give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder. Seems worth it when you know the player you're getting in return. On the other hand, an offer sheet going over $4M per year would cost at least two 1st rounders, 2nd & 3rd, which would probably be too much to give up.

After years of seeing Detroit being able to take, it'd be kind of fun to see a team take from them. If nothing else, it gets Detroit off their butt and blow the rest of their salary cap room.

At those amounts, I think the Wings would move someone to make space and then sign the two. Especially $2.5m for Zetterberg.

Old
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
No more actually. Anaheim offered the 5th year and made a bunch of the years player options
To my memory, Holland had offered Fedorov a 5 year/$50M contract extension but Fedorov turned it down. In the off season, Detroit took it off the table and offered $8M/yr. Feds left for Cali.

Old
09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky
To my memory, Holland had offered Fedorov a 5 year/$50M contract extension but Fedorov turned it down. In the off season, Detroit took it off the table and offered $8M/yr. Feds left for Cali.
Yes, Holland offered that in the fall. Never made that offer again. He offered 4 years at $8m per year. Fedorov's agent asked them to add the 5th year again and they said no. Anaheim came up with 5 years and he accepted. Thank god the $50m offer was never accepted.

Old
09-02-2005, 04:21 PM
sparr0w

Actually that 5yr/$50M deal came from Ilitch not Holland.

Old
09-02-2005, 04:24 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
minus the hands, zetterberg does everything better then datsyuk... pretty damn close to everything that is, his value is higher then datsyuks
I think Datsyuk has a better shot, better stickhandling (obviously), and is significantly more fast.

Old
09-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
At those amounts, I think the Wings would move someone to make space and then sign the two. Especially $2.5m for Zetterberg.
Then why haven't they? Those are supposedly the numbers the player's are asking for. The Wings are trying to lowball them at $2M for Zett and $3M for Datsyuk:

Quote:
Holland is still having a hard time with signing Pavel Datsyuk. Datsyuk is apparently looking to make $4 million. “We have had a very productive conversation,” Greenstin said. “We’ve explained our position, he has explained his position. He has a certain amount of money to spend and has to sign another player.
Quote:
Osgood's arrival pushes the Wings' roster to 15 and leaves about $10 million left under the salary cap. More than half of that will go toward signing restricted free agent forwards Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg; Datsyuk isn't going to come in at much under $3 million, and Zetterberg around $2 million.
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...e_20050809.htm

Maybe it's because the Wings only have $7 million left to spend on four or five players?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-roundup_x.htm

That means they need to squeeze both Datsyuk and Zetterberg in for under $6 million. If you're another GM, why not add some more pressure by putting a $3 million per year, 4 year deal on the table for Zetterberg or $4 million per year, 4 year deal for Datsyuk? It's a win/win offer from the outside. Either the Red Wings match and spend more than they wanted to and are now over the cap. Then they're stuck making unwanted moves like Lang or Schneider. If they don't match, then the offering team scores one of the Wings young guns.

Old
09-02-2005, 05:47 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat110
Then why haven't they? Those are supposedly the numbers the player's are asking for. The Wings are trying to lowball them at $2M for Zett and $3M for Datsyuk:

http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...e_20050809.htm

Maybe it's because the Wings only have $7 million left to spend on four or five players?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-roundup_x.htm

That means they need to squeeze both Datsyuk and Zetterberg in for under $6 million. If you're another GM, why not add some more pressure by putting a $3 million per year, 4 year deal on the table for Zetterberg or $4 million per year, 4 year deal for Datsyuk? It's a win/win offer from the outside. Either the Red Wings match and spend more than they wanted to and are now over the cap. Then they're stuck making unwanted moves like Lang or Schneider. If they don't match, then the offering team scores one of the Wings young guns.

Sure they don't want to pay that kinda money, especially with Datsyuk, but do you think they would let them walk if thats all some other team offered? I doubt it.

Old
09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
If I was the Kings I would trade Cammy, Petiot and a first round pick for Datsyuk.

I'd rather have Zetterberg personally.

09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Kiekko

"According to his agent, Pavel Datsyuk intends to sign with his Russian pro team if the Detroit Red Wings don't sign him by Labour Day."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...93&hubName=nhl

Old
09-02-2005, 07:09 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I'd rather have Zetterberg personally.
I think Datsyuk is more attainable due to his higher contract demands.

Old
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekracker2001
"According to his agent, Pavel Datsyuk intends to sign with his Russian pro team if the Detroit Red Wings don't sign him by Labour Day."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...93&hubName=nhl

He said the same thing about September 1St

Old
09-02-2005, 07:18 PM
OrrNumber4

I'd take Zetterburg, for the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that Datsyuk has threatened to go back to Russia. Considering Russian players can get equal $$$ in Russia, with much less tax, its always a threat that they could go back to Russia.

Also, I personally dislike any player like Yashin or Lindros who refuses to negotiate or threatens to leave. I understand its well in Datsyuk's right to go back to Russia, but the ultimatum he gave his team is not necessary. It speaks badly about his character.

Old
09-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Bruwinz37

How much are these players asking for? I cant see how either could command all that much. Zetterberg is probably a 2m player based on what he has accomplished and Datsyuk 3-3.5m tops. What are their qualifiers for?

Old
09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
bleedgreen

why do people say things like "datsyuk has threatened to go back to russia" - along with "what a jerk - he thinks he is worth -,---,---".

do you guys think pavel has anything to do with this? this is 100% agent crap that happens in every negotiation. it gets public and ugly with the higher profile guys, but pavel most likely just gets calls from his agent from time to time and most likely hasnt had any say in at all....and doesnt want any. thats why they hire agents.

stop saying he wants too much and blah blah blah - this is a typical negotiation. if there is a foul-up - its his agent pushing holland too far, but holland is no dummy and knows he need pavel back. this will all be over soon - and two months from now be completely forgotten.

Old
09-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Dirtydownshift

Quote:
Sure they don't want to pay that kinda money, especially with Datsyuk, but do you think they would let them walk if thats all some other team offered? I doubt it.
I agree, that's why I'm saying, if you're another GM, why not do the offer sheet? An offer sheet for either player would force Detroit's hand. Detroit then most likely pays something like $3M for Zetterberg when they were hoping $2M and/or pays $4M for Datsyuk when they were hoping $3M. Signing those two to a combined $7M eats the rest of the Wings salary cap and they still need 2-3 more players signed. That extra $2M to those two players becomes a big deal and, as a result, forces Detroit to dump another quality player to get back below the cap.

Last edited by Dirtydownshift: 09-03-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old
09-03-2005, 01:30 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
why do people say things like "datsyuk has threatened to go back to russia" - along with "what a jerk - he thinks he is worth -,---,---".

do you guys think pavel has anything to do with this? this is 100% agent crap that happens in every negotiation. it gets public and ugly with the higher profile guys, but pavel most likely just gets calls from his agent from time to time and most likely hasnt had any say in at all....and doesnt want any. thats why they hire agents.

stop saying he wants too much and blah blah blah - this is a typical negotiation. if there is a foul-up - its his agent pushing holland too far, but holland is no dummy and knows he need pavel back. this will all be over soon - and two months from now be completely forgotten.
as we found out w/ fedorov a couple years ago, yes, it's agent... but pavel's the one saying 'ok' to all of it beforehand. the player speaks through the agent, i didn't want to believe it with feds... but after finding out i was wrong, i believe it this year. the day datsyuk comes out in any paper and claims that he only wants this amount of money for this many years... and if it's different than what his agent's been saying, then wings fans everywhere will gladly eat crow... til that day comes, we won't budge an inch because we don't want to deal with another fedorov.

Old
09-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice
Im happy to see Detroit fans finally know how it feels not being able to sign your superstars. Ive known that pain for many many years.
in a way, i'm disapointed by the fact that owners who actaully care about putting a winning product on the ice are restricted now...while teams that just didnt seem to be trying very hard to win like PIT are rewared year after year (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby)

It may not be considered tanking a season, but having a 16 mil. payroll makes it quite obvious that you dont care about winning...and yet you're given prized prospects to bring up and let go once they get expensive?

I realize that PIT made some good/pricy acquisitions this year...but my argument still stands....does anyone else see this as a flaw in the system?

Closed Thread