HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Cut Ties With Grachev; Traded for Third Round Pick

Old
06-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Cut Ties With Grachev; Traded for Third Round Pick

This morning the Rangers traded Evgeny Grachev to St Louis for a third round pick (#72), with which the Blueshirts promptly selected an unproven high school player. It was a sad end to a disappointing two years of development, and more evidence that high junior numbers will not automatically convert to a successful pro career. [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:23 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I don't think Sather trades Grachev if the player doesn't request a trade, so the blame falls on Grachev. But, it is disappointing. I hate giving up on a 21 year old player with his talent, no matter how bad the last two years have been. And, the spiteful side of me would rather see the kid rot in the minors after he requests a trade after the kind of inconsistent effort we have seen from him the last couple years. But oh well, is what it is.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:26 AM
h0ckeyman

Sad to see him traded, as I was still hopeful for Grachev. Some of these power-forwards take a long time to develop. I was surprised they dealt him, but it all makes sense now that Sather admits Grachev wanted a trade. Hopefully the Fogerty pick will payoff in the end.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Wow we shopped him for a year and couldn't find a taker. I really hope that he doesn't come back to haunt us 3 years from now...

bettercallstaal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

I had wrote a little about this yesterday after the trade [Link]

I think many fans fail to realize that Grachev was selected by the Rangers in the third round, 75th overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Until I did some research I thought Grachev had been drafted earlier. To have a third round pick from three years ago, who hasn't done much in either the NHL (in limited action) or the AHL request a trade and be able to flip him for an improved draft pick is actually not a bad thing at all.

Grachev played 8 games last year with the Rangers and didn't register any points. Truthfully, most of those eight games his time was spent on the fourth line. In 2009-10 with Hartford he finished with just 12 goals and 28 points in 80 games and then last season played in 73 games in Hartford and finished with a slightly better 16 goals and 38 points. Not terrible numbers for an AHLer, but certainly not the type of numbers that indicate that a player is busting at the seams ready to make the jump to the NHL to contribute in a top six forward position.

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Pizza

I wish the guy well. Hopefully things will turn out well for him. It seems he failed to take the advice the Rangers were giving him. If he had gone back to junior, he would have been better prepared for the A,IMO.

He requested the move so that is where I say good riddance. I'm a little surprised it took so long to get rid of him, but I'm glad he helped us get Fogarty. Thanks Grach.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I wish the guy well. Hopefully things will turn out well for him. It seems he failed to take the advice the Rangers were giving him. If he had gone back to junior, he would have been better prepared for the A,IMO.

He requested the move so that is where I say good riddance. I'm a little surprised it took so long to get rid of him, but I'm glad he helped us get Fogarty. Thanks Grach.
I agree with all of this.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:52 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Same thoughts here. I was first a bit pissed as i read the news that we traded him, but after a while and realising that he wanted the trade I was ok with it. Maybe its better for him in STL and things will work more out for him there!!! Anyway good luck Evgeny!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:25 AM
The Mouth

I hope he does well.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:35 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i hope he does well, but not too well we regret this. At least we didn't trade him for some over the hill bozo, a la the Mattias Norstrom trade.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i hope he does well, but not too well we regret this. At least we didn't trade him for some over the hill bozo, a la the Mattias Norstrom trade.
I hope he never gets a point in the NHL. Why should I wish a player well when he wants out of the team?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:35 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I hope he never gets a point in the NHL. Why should I wish a player well when he wants out of the team?
Why should you hope that his career fails?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Why should you hope that his career fails?
Better question: who cares?

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:22 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Better question: who cares?
Well, clearly me (at least while I'm bored and eating dinner).

Getting back to Grachev, it's upsetting that he wanted out of the organization, but it's his call at the end of the day and I'm glad we managed to turn him into a puck with some good up-side

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I hope he does well.
Mouth it is sad how he had Rangers fans and writers screaming he was the next coming of Leclair with his size and hands. I hoped he was to but he was sooo lazy it hurt to watch him. 2 seasons ago he was so aweful it hurt. Torts has laid the law down work hard and try you get rewarded float and glide then don't let the door hit you. Now in with the blues he will score 44 in his rookie yr lol

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Moral of the story -- If you don't do what the Rangers want you to do you are most likely headed out of town. (i.e. Grachev, Werek, Umberger)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Moral of the story -- If you don't do what the Rangers want you to do you are most likely headed out of town. (i.e. Grachev, Werek, Umberger)
Not to be a debbie downer, but what does this mean for Kreider who has now twice decided to go back to school when the Rangers have not so subtly hinted that they'd like to have him signed and playing in the organization...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Pizza

Sorry in advance for the long post. Grachev was a prospect I had a lot of hopes for, so I felt a need to get this out.

I don't know if I am correct on this, but I thought I read some where that Grachev had some family issues that were behind his decision to go pro when the Rangers tried to convince him to go back to junior. If that is true, I could see why he made that decision. Tough to go against your family. Tough to go against the Original Six team that just drafted you. Tough way to start a business relationship. Tough situation all around.

That decision definitely hurt him. He was clearly over whelmed in the AHL his first season and a half. He finished last season w/some improvement so hopefully that helps things moving forward. But if he had listened to the advice the Rangers had given him to start with, he would have been more prepared for the rigors of the pro game, IMO.

Some folks want to blame Gernander and the guys at Hartford, I don't buy that. Gernander and the staff there have one mission: Get these guys prepared to play in the NHL under a very demanding John Tortorella. We all have some idea of how demanding Tort's would have been on Grachev. If he was having problems playing the way Gernander wanted him to, he would have a tough time even getting a call up. When he did get that call up he made no impact. The minutes he got reflected that again he was not ready. People can say what they want about Tort's, but when a guy does the right thing out on the ice, he'll get his chances. I can't say if Grachev resisted or refused what he was being told to do - but it's clear he was less than effective.

Out side of the last half of this past season, did it seem as if his head was getting into the right place. Prior to that, it seemed to me that Grachev was trying to adjust to the realities of not having the talent around him that could feed him the puck the way he liked to get it. When he played briefly with Stepan, it was clear how much he missed having that sort of talent on a line with him. I think he now gets that being effective in the NHL means being able to generate your own chances. But I think he also probably knew that he had made a negative impression with the organization. He understands that you only get one chance to make an impression on Torts. Good or bad that's the way it is. Maybe sometime after he came back from New York, he decided he needed to make a change and asked for the trade

Any way, that ship has sailed. He got what he asked for and we have a new prospect highly regarded by two of the more respected guys in hockey. I can live with that.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
drewcon40

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564937

Eddie (Mouth), the only person I cound see you accepting a deal involving Grachev would have been to Phoenix for Ethan Werek.

Anyway, great post Pizza. I forgot about that but when you brought it up in your previous post, I seem to recall something like that. I think even when he was drafted, he was a "risky" pick. Anyway, I like what I am hearing about Fogerty and to be quite honest with you, where does Grachev fit in 2011-12? I understand that isn't the entire basis of trading a player but if they bring back Fedetenko for one more year, and the following that (assuming that these guys are signed), other players like Hagelin, Kreider, Thomas, Fasth, etc..(I am sure I missed a ton of names), Grachev was expendable. On the surface, it appears Sather sold low but I am sure that was the market for him and if his departure was due to a sense of entitlement or a lack of desire to work hard, he wasn't fitting into the Rangers type player.

I certainly will be curious on how he fares on the Blues but I certainly do not think he is going to pull a "Rick Middleton" or a "Marek Zidlicky" on us. (Although Middleton actually had established himself already)

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
pwoz

Grachev is a bust. He dominated juniors but crapped the bed in the AHL, plain and simple.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Grachev is a bust. He dominated juniors but crapped the bed in the AHL, plain and simple.
That's your opinion. It is not yet a fact. Yogi Berra would have a different take.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
He's a third round pick. The vast, vast majority of players drafted in the third round never become NHL players.

Now, he's only 21. If three years from now he's a bottom six player at the NHL level, that would be a success. Obviously not a success for us as we moved on from him, but a successful end for a player taken 75th overall.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
This is what happens when Russians haste to NA. Thankfully Tarasenko and Kuznetsov decide to stay in Russia for now.

06-28-2011, 06:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
This is what happens when Russians haste to NA. Thankfully Tarasenko and Kuznetsov decide to stay in Russia for now.
amen.

however, in both cases you cite, theres a bit of a difference.

grachev is big and strong. thats his best attribute. his hockey sense is quite weak. while those other guys have high end skill and know what to do and where to go.

a guy like burmistrov can come here and do well. hes got good, strong hockey sense.

that makes an enormous difference.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:26 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
He's a third round pick. The vast, vast majority of players drafted in the third round never become NHL players.

Now, he's only 21. If three years from now he's a bottom six player at the NHL level, that would be a success. Obviously not a success for us as we moved on from him, but a successful end for a player taken 75th overall.
That's what I meant. He's a bust for us, even if he becomes the next Gretzky on any other team, he's still a bust to me.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote