HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stamkos, Philly and Luongo Rumors

Old
06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
again, how do you guys know that he isnt signed, and tehy are just waiting until July 1 to announce it?

if you HONESTLY are going to play the "he wants to play in a big market maaaaaaaan" card, then i dont even want to bother arguing with you anymore.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

This feels like Vinny to Montreal all over again.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
A week ago Rick Tocchet who coached him said he was the best goalie in the NHL. His word is golden with me.And there are others IM sure.

Are you really basing an opinion on best goalie in the league because Rick Tocchet says so? I liked Tocchet as a player and thought he caught some bad breaks as a coach, but an expert on goalies? You are seriously reaching here, and due for some major disappointment.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
IrishSniper87

If the Flyers offer-sheeted Stamkos (which they can, they have their 1st for the next 4 years) to 10 years $100 million, the Flyers would likely let Leino walk in free agency and trade away Carle and Versteeg in order to find the capspace to fill out the roster.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Steven Stamkos ($10.000m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.750m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.000m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.975m)
Darroll Powe ($0.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Sean O'Donnell ($1.100m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,025,039; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $274,961

Trade Carle/Versteeg for picks/prospects
Re-sign O'Donnell or similar FA Defenseman for $1.1 mill.
Re-sign Voracek to $2.75
Re-sign Simmonds to $2.00
Re-sign Powe and Nodl for small pay raises

Brayden Schenn to minors. Sean Couturier in AHL/Juniors.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
again, how do you guys know that he isnt signed, and tehy are just waiting until July 1 to announce it?
The Lightning are roughly 24 million dollars under the cap. There isn't any need for them to wait until July 1st.

If they had a done deal, that **** would have been announced already.

Let's just put it this way, if I was a Lightning fan, I'd be nervous. Very nervous. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was a Kings fan, either.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
There's also tax implications to take into account. Granted they (they being basically every rich person in North America) have special stuff set up to avoid as much of that as possible, but different employment locations can still mean several hundred thousand per year in "in pocket" earnings.

No State Income Tax in Florida. If he was worried about taxes, Florida is where he would want to go.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The Lightning are roughly 24 million dollars under the cap. There isn't any need for them to wait until July 1st.

Let's just put it this way, if I was a Lightning fan, I'd be nervous. Very nervous. I wouldn't be too thrilled if I was a Kings fan, either.

do whatever you've got to do to make yourself sleep at night, I guess.

do you guys just completely ignore Stamkos' comments not even a WEEK ago in which he said he wasnt worried about the contract because of how close the two sides were?

there is nothing to get nervous about.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Really?

Nothing personal against Tampa but you are talking a bout a kid born + raised in Toronto being banished to sunsplashed anti-nhl Fla to play a sport he loves. Tampa probably draws 5,000 tv viewers a game if that.

I just dont see this Stamkos
would be crazy to leave Tampa. IMo the kid is probably
salivating at the chance to play in a major hockey market. The fact that he hasnt signed a long term contract yet speaks volumes.

The kid would be an icon in Toronto/Montreal. A media darling in NY or Phil where Comcast-NBC/Versus is HQ. In Tampa he may as well be just another beach bum for the lack of adulation and recognition he receives.

Why don't u get a freaking clue ? !!
You have no idea what its like here in Tampa.
Stammer is a star here and fans love him !
And while the Panthers market may suck, The Lightning are fine..
Hockey is strong here and getting better, Vinick & Yzerman are doing great & have the team doing just fine.

Another thing, not all revolves around BIG MARKET teams !!
Get over yourselfs. Some players are just fine with being able to enjoy the sunshine and going around town in PEACE without being mobbed. No state taxes, ect..

God, I hate Flyers fans

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:12 AM
hullsy47

Quote:

do you guys just completely ignore Stamkos' comments not even a WEEK ago in which he said he wasnt worried about the contract because of how close the two sides were?

if he signs in tampa then u aint getting richards .......im sure the leafs ownership would love a marquis canadian local boy .in fact i think burke has to go ahead to go for a home run .......but u aint gettin him for a hometown discount .

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
No State Income Tax in Florida. If he was worried about taxes, Florida is where he would want to go.
I didn't mean to imply that's why he'd want to move away, obviously it's quite the opposite.

It was just one of many things to consider. If Philly and Tampa offer him the same salary, but Philly can give him a $5M endorsement deal* then he's gotta weigh what the difference is between that additional $5M and having his entire income taxed versus living in Florida without that $5M and not having it taxed. Then he's gotta weigh if that difference in money is more important that the difference in where he wants to live or his desires to win a cup (if they don't line up)

*Obviously I mean the Philly market giving him $5M, I know that the Flyers can't give him $5M outside of his regular NHL salary

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
rainrock

Quote:

Lip Service Bro.

If he says I want to get the hell out of Tampa he kills his bargaining position.

Of course he is going to say he is close with Tampa, he wants a big market team to come in there and blow Tampa out of the water.

rainrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:

Well, then it's a good thing you're not.

What do we possibly have to be nervous about? What has been said publicly by Yzerman OR Stamkos or Stamkos' agent that would state otherwise? Yzerman has other things to do too you know, such as the Draft, league meetings, other re-signings. It hasn't just been a whole month of stale negotiations. If he gets to July 1st (which I very much doubt) he is open to offer sheets. So what? We still have the opportunity to match whatever is thrown at him, not to mention the fact that Stamkos himself has to SIGN the offer sheet in the first place in which case there is no current belief that he even would. Just because everything is all quiet on this deal doesn't mean that it's not getting done or hell, it could already be done for all we know. It's the norm here for Yzerman, we don't know **** until it happens.

Nobody is "nervous", in fact we're all enjoying the laughs instead.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

1. I'm sleeping just fine at night. I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for Stamkos' press conference introducing him as the latest Flyer. My hunch is that he stays in Tampa.

2. His comments mean nothing to me. Honestly, what else would you expect him to say?

3. You don't think that Pens or the Caps fans would have been worried if their GM had allowed Crosby or Ovechkin to get anywhere near free agency?

4. Stamkos is the most coveted player in the league to reach this point under the new CBA. He plays for a team that might be vulnerable to RFA poaching. There's a good chance come Friday he's got 10 offer sheets on his desk. That's all anyone is saying. It doesn't have to be the Leafs or the Flyers. It could be the freaking Edmonton Oilers for all we know.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Lip Service Bro.

If he says I want to get the hell out of Tampa he kills his bargaining position.

Of course he is going to say he is close with Tampa, he wants a big market team to come in there and blow Tampa out of the water.

NO he doesnt! how do you continue to post things like this as if they are fact?

man, you Flyers fans really need to get a clue. the NHL exists outside of Philadelphia...

Old
06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
if he signs in tampa then u aint getting richards .......im sure the leafs ownership would love a marquis canadian local boy .in fact i think burke has to go ahead to go for a home run .......but u aint gettin him for a hometown discount .
Reading this post made my head hurt. English please?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
According to Eklund three big trade rumors are does Stamkos to sign in Tampa Bay? And what is Philly next move? And Luongo Rumors.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36682
Please stop with this garbage. He's a joke and nothing will happen.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
I didn't mean to imply that's why he'd want to move away, obviously it's quite the opposite.

It was just one of many things to consider. If Philly and Tampa offer him the same salary, but Philly can give him a $5M endorsement deal* then he's gotta weigh what the difference is between that additional $5M and having his entire income taxed versus living in Florida without that $5M and not having it taxed. Then he's gotta weigh if that difference in money is more important that the difference in where he wants to live or his desires to win a cup (if they don't line up)

*Obviously I mean the Philly market giving him $5M, I know that the Flyers can't give him $5M outside of his regular NHL salary
If Tampa offered him 8M in salary, the cost of living difference would mean he would have to earn 11M in Philly.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
rainrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepete View Post
Hockey is strong here and getting better, Vinick & Yzerman are doing great & have the team doing just fine.

Get over yourselfs. Some players are just fine with being able to enjoy the sunshine and going around town in PEACE without being mobbed. No state taxes, ect..

God, I hate Flyers fans
Really PicklePete? Really.

On Jan 2 would Stamkos rather be sunbathing on Siesta beach or playing in the Winter Classic? This is a World Class Ice Hockey Player not a golf pro or beach bum.

NOthing personal against Tampa but superstars like Stamkos werent meant to be hidden in relative obscurity, they belong on the big stage. In one of Canadas big markets,Chi, or the East Coast.

With Comcast-NBC-Versus(HQed in Philly) paying the bills of the NHL I would tend to agree with the notion that Philly is going to go hard after arguably the best player in the NHL.

Akin to the NBA steering Kobe out of Charlotte and into LA.

rainrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepete View Post

God, I hate Flyers fans
The facts are....they are not fine! The team itself is very good, but the financial part of it is far from fine.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
1. I'm sleeping just fine at night. I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for Stamkos' press conference introducing him as the latest Flyer. My hunch is that he stays in Tampa.

2. His comments mean nothing to me. Honestly, what else would you expect him to say?

3. You don't think that Pens or the Caps fans would have been worried if their GM had allowed Crosby or Ovechkin to get anywhere near free agency?

4. Stamkos is the most coveted player in the league to reach this point under the new CBA. He plays for a team that might be vulnerable to RFA poaching. There's a good chance come Friday he's got 10 offer sheets on his desk. That's all anyone is saying. It doesn't have to be the Leafs or the Flyers. It could be the freaking Edmonton Oilers for all we know.

Kovalchuk was the most coveted player in the league to ever hit UFA. Stamkos would be RFA, not UFA.

plus, some people fail to realize that for an offer sheet to matter, the PLAYER has to actually sign it. who cares if Edmonton offers him an offer sheet if he doesnt want to sign it? it means nothing. how do you know that Stamkos wants to leave Tampa Bay, a team that was in the Eastern Conference Finals this past year? you dont.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Does Tampa have over the league maximum in cap space?
Does Tampa have an owner who is willing to take losses to produce a winner?
Does Tampa have the ability to match any offer Philly makes?

(Hint: as far as I know, all three answers are yes)

Why is this a story?

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Really PicklePete? Really.

On Jan 2 would Stamkos rather be sunbathing on Siesta beach or playing in the Winter Classic? This is a World Class Ice Hockey Player not a golf pro or beach bum.

NOthing personal against Tampa but superstars like Stamkos werent meant to be hidden in relative obscurity, they belong on the big stage. In one of Canadas big markets,Chi, or the East Coast.

With Comcast-NBC-Versus(HQed in Philly) paying the bills of the NHL I would tend to agree with the notion that Philly is going to go hard after arguably the best player in the NHL.

Akin to the NBA steering Kobe out of Charlotte and into LA.
Hmmm.. where have I heard this before?

Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Why the hell do people post eklund "rumours"?

Notsureifsrs.jpeg
People used to say that he sponsors the boards or something. I don't know. I think some people post his stuff just to annoy people.

But let's imagine Stamkos going to Philly.

1: Philly is gonna have to be taking more salary back.
2: Philly is going to have to overpay
3: Philly is going to have to dump more roster players to stay under the cap.

Conclusion: It would be fun to watch. (Never been a flyers fan)

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

a) He ain't gonna be a Flyer
b) 10Y/100M is ****ing stupid. He isn't Sidney Crosby.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
PhillyCurt12

god it's embarrassing to be associated with the people who actually think there's a chance stamkos is philly-bound. it would be nice, but it's no more than a dream and idle speculation.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote