HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Howe elected to 2011 Hockey Hall of Fame

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 11:22 AM
  #1
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Mark Howe elected to 2011 Hockey Hall of Fame

Mod edit:



http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...8_02&id=305316

Quote:
Born May 28, 1955 in Detroit, Michigan, Mark Howe inherited the hockey bloodline from his father, Honoured Member Gordie Howe. The thrill of Gordie's life was being able to play on a line with two of his sons, Mark and Marty, while playing in the World Hockey Association with the Houston Aeros.

Mark played minor hockey in Detroit with the Tier II Junior Red Wings. In 1970-71, at the age of 15, he collected 107 points to lead the Western Ontario Junior 'A' Hockey League in scoring. A knee injury knocked him out of the first three months of the next season, so when he had regained his health, he joined the U.S. national team and helped the squad win a silver medal at the Winter Olympic Games in Sapporo, Japan.

Mark's NHL career consisted of 929 regular season games in which he scored 197 goals and contributed 545 assists for 742 points. In post-season play, he scored 10 goals and 51 assists for 61 points in 101 games. In the WHA, he played 426 regular season games, scoring 208 times and assisting on 296 others for 504 points. In the playoffs, he added 41 goals and 51 assists for 92 points in 74 games.

In all he appeared in games for the Hartford Whalers, Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------





http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=45777

Lindros, Howe, LeClair are all included in this year's nominees for induction into the Hall of Fame.

All three would be worthy IMO.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-28-2011 at 08:02 PM.
infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
  #2
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=45777

Lindros, Howe, LeClair are all included in this year's nominees for induction into the Hall of Fame.

All three would be worthy IMO.
Agreed

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
  #3
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,542
vCash: 500
all 3 should get in. lindros and leclair should at least be inducted at the same time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
  #4
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
I don't see Howe making it in. No hardware at all. LeClair does have a cup, but he might need to wait for less competition. I'm too biasd for Lindros, and I believe with the way he dominated the game he deserves to be in the HOF

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
  #5
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
If Neely is in, then lindros needs to be in.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
  #6
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
all 3 should get in. lindros and leclair should at least be inducted at the same time
I think that would be appropriate, yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I don't see Howe making it in. No hardware at all. LeClair does have a cup, but he might need to wait for less competition. I'm too biasd for Lindros, and I believe with the way he dominated the game he deserves to be in the HOF
Howe doesn't have the hardware, but he really was a stellar player and is most certainly worthy. Whether or not that gets him in is another matter, though.

And I think Lindros absolutely should be in. Health issues cast shadows on a career that otherwise would have been absolutely unquestionable. In his prime, he was certainly one of the best to ever play the game...off-ice drama aside.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
  #7
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I think that would be appropriate, yeah.


Howe doesn't have the hardware, but he really was a stellar player and is most certainly worthy. Whether or not that gets him in is another matter, though.

And I think Lindros absolutely should be in. Health issues cast shadows on a career that otherwise would have been absolutely unquestionable. In his prime, he was certainly one of the best to ever play the game...off-ice drama aside.
I kinda see Howe as Timonen. Both are stellar players, have a good impact on the game, are quiet and never won anything.

I don't see either of those players ever getting in the HOF.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
  #8
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I kinda see Howe as Timonen. Both are stellar players, have a good impact on the game, are quiet and never won anything.

I don't see either of those players ever getting in the HOF.
Howe was better than Timonen. He just played in the era of Coffey.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
  #9
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I kinda see Howe as Timonen. Both are stellar players, have a good impact on the game, are quiet and never won anything.

I don't see either of those players ever getting in the HOF.
Except Howe was a lot better....career PPG of .79 as a d-man (as opposed to Timo's .51), as well as better +/-, in addition to being the absolute anchor on his team for a long time.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
  #10
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I kinda see Howe as Timonen. Both are stellar players, have a good impact on the game, are quiet and never won anything.

I don't see either of those players ever getting in the HOF.
Howe finished runner up for the Norris 3 times while in Philly and spent 10 years here.

He was better here then Timonen

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
  #11
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Howe finished runner up for the Norris 3 times while in Philly and spent 10 years here.

He was better here then Timonen
Agreed, Howe is probably STILL better than Timonen, given his genes....

Is he UFA?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
  #12
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,457
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Howe finished runner up for the Norris 3 times while in Philly and spent 10 years here.

He was better here then Timonen
:goodposting:

Its as close as you can get to winning hardware. If he wins those 3, hes automatic. Needless to say he should be in.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:43 AM
  #13
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If Neely is in, then lindros needs to be in.
It would be great to have Lindros AND Howe inducted in the same year. A great photo opp with Clarkie shaking their hands and raising their banners to the ceiling....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
  #14
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Howe should have been in a long time ago and Lindros should get in too, but as much as I love Johnny Vermont, he's probably my favorite player ever, I don't think he's Hall of Fame worthy. Also Shero should be in as a builder.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
  #15
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Howe was better than Timonen. He just played in the era of Coffey.
Well ok, I knew my example was going to get taken like that.

I think Howe only looks better because it was the Coffey era. I mean that era was goals goals goals... We can't really compare stats of the two, but I think they have a very similar style.

Howe is likely the better of the two, but not enough to launch him into the HOF. He probably would have won some trophies if not for Coffey, but I am a strong believer that you need hardware for HOF.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:48 AM
  #16
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Well ok, I knew my example was going to get taken like that.

I think Howe only looks better because it was the Coffey era. I mean that era was goals goals goals... We can't really compare stats of the two, but I think they have a very similar style.

Howe is likely the better of the two, but not enough to launch him into the HOF. He probably would have won some trophies if not for Coffey, but I am a strong believer that you need hardware for HOF.
Not really the bar that has actually been established, however. Stevens never won the Norris... What if he had played out his career in Washington?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
  #17
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,404
vCash: 500
Howe should be a shoe in. Lindros on the edge. Not sure if LeClair is quite there

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
  #18
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Howe should be a shoe in. Lindros on the edge. Not sure if LeClair is quite there
Even with Orange colored goggles on, I do not see why LeClaire would even be nominated. I liked him as a player, but I never considered him Hall worthy.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
  #19
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Howe should have been in a long time ago. He was the key to those 80's flyers teams. As far as leclair goes, I doubt we will see him in the Hall. Lindros is going to be quite controversial but he has done a lot to improve his reputation since he retired. I could see it happening.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
  #20
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,771
vCash: 500
I'd say Howe before Lindros and Leclair, but all 3 should be in the HOF.

Howe has a Stanley Cup ring with Detroit, I believe?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
  #21
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd say Howe before Lindros and Leclair, but all 3 should be in the HOF.

Howe has a Stanley Cup ring with Detroit, I believe?
no, he was swept in 4 by nj

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
  #22
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
:goodposting:

Its as close as you can get to winning hardware. If he wins those 3, hes automatic. Needless to say he should be in.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
  #23
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
no, he was swept in 4 by nj

Wikipedia says: "Mark Howe retired following the 1994–95 season, and assumed a scouting job with Red Wings, earning Stanley Cup rings when his teams captured championships in 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008."

I knew he didn't win a Cup as a player, but he has been a part of the overall best-run organization in the NHL for a long time, which is what I meant. I think that should be a consideration. I actually didn't know he was still with them, for some reason I thought he left sometime around the lockout.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
  #24
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Wikipedia says: "Mark Howe retired following the 1994–95 season, and assumed a scouting job with Red Wings, earning Stanley Cup rings when his teams captured championships in 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008."

I knew he didn't win a Cup as a player, but he has been a part of the overall best-run organization in the NHL for a long time, which is what I meant. I think that should be a consideration. I actually didn't know he was still with them, for some reason I thought he left sometime around the lockout.
yeah but his nom is under player not builder.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:59 PM
  #25
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
yeah but his nom is under player not builder.
Then it doesn't matter, haha.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.