HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B. Richards telling people he's going to New York

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
if he wanted to go there so badly, why does he keep enforcing his NMC to keep his rights from being traded there?
Obviously because he enjoys seeing so many threads about him on HFboards.com.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
New York Islanders?

Buffalo, NY Sabres??

Old
06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Does this sounds like a case where Joe N can pull the Tampering card?
Based on what? There's no indication of any contact by the Rangers.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Who said anything about the Rangers trying to trade for his rights?

It was probably the leafs and he said hell no.
Based on what? Speculation? I can do the same thing watch

"Who said anything about the Leafs trying to trade for his rights?

It was probably the Rangers and he saie hell no."

Old
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Just a few weeks ago everyone was trashing Brooks because he said he didn't think Richards would come, now it's vice-versa and everyone in NY is celebrating over what Brooks said now.

I'm confused, which is it?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2903 View Post
This could be the most ironic post ever. Please, elaborate how the Rangers apparently don't have a mediocrity-laden roster like the leafs. Because I'm pretty sure the Rangers have a goalie and that's about it.
Come on.

I'll agree that Slats has been a pathetic GM since leaving Edmonton, but the Rangers actually made the playoffs this year.

I'll agree that with the exception of the Kessel deal that Burke has made a number of smart decisions.

Gaborik is one of the best goal scorers out there and King Hendrick is one of the best goalies. Staal is looking better and better every year.

Kessel is no chop liver, Kulemin had a great season and Schenn is a beast, but I think it's fair to say that New York's core has more star power at the moment.

And yes. Dion looked much better at the end of the year that he earlier. I think people actually stopped booing him. But it would be pretty hard for you to convince me he's worth that much $$$>

Old
06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
5 year, $30 million deal I reckon. $7.5M in the first, $6.5M in the second, $6.0M in the third, $5.5M in the fourth and $4.5M in the fifth. Cap hit of $6M?
If that's what's on the table from NYR and BR's prime concern is money and/or term, Leafs outbid and win easily.

Old
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
5 year, $30 million deal I reckon. $7.5M in the first, $6.5M in the second, $6.0M in the third, $5.5M in the fourth and $4.5M in the fifth. Cap hit of $6M?
I can see him taking a caphit of 6M if the contract is 9 years, not 5

Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Just a few weeks ago everyone was trashing Brooks because he said he didn't think Richards would come, now it's vice-versa and everyone in NY is celebrating over what Brooks said now.

I'm confused, which is it?
Neither. He's been right and wrong so many times, I don't seriously believe any of his articles

Old
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

i wouldn't be surprised if richards does go to new york. tortorella, a more consistent team and sather's history of overpaying for FAs

toronto fans need to stop getting insulted. it's embarrassing for the rest of us

Old
06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
CellarDweller0

What was reported:

Quote:
If I heard it once, I heard it a dozen times during this Entry Draft weekend in Minnesota: "[Brad] Richards told [X] he wants to come to New York."
What was NOT reported:

Quote:
If I heard it once, I heard it a dozen times during this Entry Draft weekend in Minnesota: "[Brad] Richards told [X] he wants to come to New York for a Blue Lobster dinner with friends."

Old
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Who said anything about the Rangers trying to trade for his rights?

It was probably the leafs and he said hell no.
Heard that was the Flyers.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Ari91

So does anyone not think it's odd that a guy who's heading to FA and looking to get the best money and long term deal possible is already be telling people that he's made his decision? Kind of a stupid move when you're the top pick of the FA class this season and you'll have a number of teams bidding on you and willing to overpay and hand out a contract that could set you up until retirement. Even if Rangers are his destination, why would he not use his in demand status to counter the Rangers so that he could get the best possible deal for himself?

Maybe his mind is already set on NY, but I highly doubt he's been going around telling people that, especially when his agent is working his PR magic to make other teams feel like they have a chance. If Richards has already made his choice before hearing all the offers, I believe that Richards and his agent are the ONLY people that know this tidbit. Fans here check logic at the door when it suits their cause

Old
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Robert Theodorson

They should start planning the parade already just like they did when Melo got into town.

Old
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
LOL, yeah because the Rangers team is loaded with talent! Without Lundqvist, you guys are nothing.
even with Lundqvist, they are nothing.

Old
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

just wait till july 1 I'm sure he has some teams in mind, since it Brooks I doubt, its true. The guy for whatever reason hates the Rangers.

Old
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
So does anyone not think it's odd that a guy who's heading to FA and looking to get the best money and long term deal possible is already be telling people that he's made his decision? Kind of a stupid move when you're the top pick of the FA class this season and you'll have a number of teams bidding on you and willing to overpay and hand out a contract that could set you up until retirement. Even if Rangers are his destination, why would he not use his in demand status to counter the Rangers so that he could get the best possible deal for himself?

Maybe his mind is already set on NY, but I highly doubt he's been going around telling people that, especially when his agent is working his PR magic to make other teams feel like they have a chance. If Richards has already made his choice before hearing all the offers, I believe that Richards and his agent are the ONLY people that know this tidbit. Fans here check logic at the door when it suits their cause
Don't you give us your rational thought dammit this IS HF!!!

Old
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Scott Gomez wanted to come to New York. He talked about it for weeks on his way out the door across the Hudson, but it took more than $50 million over seven years to get him to say yes to Sather on July 1, 2007.

Chris Drury wanted to come to New York. He made that crystal clear on his way out of Buffalo, but it took more than $35 million over five years (plus a no-move clause) to get him to sign the bottom line on that same day.

Bobby Holik wanted to come to New York. Everyone understood that, but it took $45 million over five years to get him into a Blueshirt on July 1, 2002.

The rangers overpaid for the above free agents? I had no clue, thanks for jogging our memories. Now your point was?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post

Nah, richards don't need to negotiate with the Rangers. Its Sather, he'll bring over a blank cheque.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Rinzler

There's not a lot of difference between the Leafs and Rangers in my mind. Both seem to be in the same stage in overall development and both are on the rise. That's a compliment to both teams, it should be interesting what happens next year.

Richards will enjoy a bidding war between the two I think. We'll see whom impresses Richards more.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Yes, you're right. That is one of the primary reasons for Richards not wanting to play for them. That and their mediocrity-laden roster.
Didn't know about your program of excellence in Manhattan... Tell me moar.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
The rangers overpaid for the above free agents? I had no clue, thanks for jogging our memories. Now your point was?
He was quoting Brooks' article, but failed to indicate such.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
History repeats itself. Especially when your name is Glen Sather.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
LeafDangler

Anybody thinking Richards is going to sign a sweet heart deal are going to be sorely disappointed when he inks. I guarantee that at least 1 team will throw stupid money at him. Leafs are just one prime candidate. Are we really expecting him to walk away from 1-2 more million per year? How many times does that happen?

I have no idea where he'll go but market conditions seem to indicate that 6 per on 5 years is a pipe dream.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Didn't know about your program of excellence in Manhattan... Tell me moar.
Our excellence? Making the playoffs 5 times out of 6 since the lockout.

Toronto's? 0 of 6.

There is no question which team is closer to being a competitor, although that is likely not the main pull in Richards to NY. Money, perhaps location, and perhaps Tortorella.