Notices

Official 2011-2012 Providence Bruins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Gruntfuttock

vCash: 500
Official 2011-2012 Providence Bruins Thread

Was looking for a Providence thread and didn't find one, so I thought I would do it. Since I rarely get to see the games, I'll be dependent on this thread most of the season.

It's looking like there will be lots of changes in Providence for next season. Bruce Cassidy will be the new head coach and many players (by all accounts, mainly scrubs) will be gone.

Hutchinson will hopefully be the #2 goalie and Courchaine in the ECHL. Khudobin, Schaefer an Dalton are all gone. Hopefully they are looking for a guy, who'd be ready to play at least 2 years in Providence, before getting even a whiff of the NHL. I'm thinking that's why Providence is still without a goalie. I heard a rumor that the Bruins were after one of the hottest free agent goalies in Europe, Iiro Tarkki. He was brought to Espoo by Bruins scout Jukka Holtari. But it was rumored that he wanted a legit chance of NHL action after only a year in the AHL. The one year contract he signed with Anaheim, also points to that.

Some guys who should be interesting and available, include Mark Dekanich. He's had some good numbers in Milwaukee and the Nashville organization is filled with younger goalies. Leonardo Genoni from Switzerland, who's been outplaying guys like Cristobal Huet, Jussi Markkanen and David Aebischer. Granted, he plays on a better team, but still, a good accomplishment from a young goalie. Justin Pogge is another guy. All these guys should be good enough for the #1 spot, and they're still young and developing.

The D looks to be already fine with Kampfer (AHL or 7th D in Boston), Bartkowski, Alexandrov, Cohen, Button, Warsofsky and Cantin under contract. I would think that McIver will be traded for a forward. I have no idea if Goulet is still in the plans. Don't know about Valabik. I hope he's kept as a 7th D in Boston, so Kampfer would get lots of playing time in Providence.

The forward group needs plenty of players. I don't know if guys like Cunningham, Chaput will be there, but even if they will, this team still lacks a couple of forwards. Riendeau is also a question mark. He's under contract, but is he good enough for the A? Whitfield would be very nice to have back. He could be the new captain, since Reich has already agreed to go to Germany. Don't know if MacDonald will be back.

Another rumor I heard, was that the Bruins were after another Holtari's old friends, former Flames prospect Juuso Puustinen, but he opted to sign with Nashville. And just like with goalies, many of the best free agent forwards in Europe are already gone. It'll be interesting to see what they do. But judging from those two rumors (who I believe to be legit), they are after some serious talent.

Players under contract, who could play in Providence next season:

Caron
Arniel
Sauve
Hamill
Camper
Riendeau
MacDermid
Randell

Kampfer
Bartkowski
Alexandrov
Cohen
Button
Warsofsky
Cantin
MacIver

Hutchinson
Courchaine

Sorry, it's a whole lot of empty speculation without much insight. But like I said, I rarely get to see the games and I wanted to make a thread, so the few nice people who updated us last season, could do that again.

Could a mod sticky this please?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock: 06-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old
06-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Murph72Bs

Unless they sign Ryder (which I don't think they will do) I think you can take Caron off that list making the need for forwards more pressing.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Gruntfuttock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph72Bs View Post
Unless they sign Ryder (which I don't think they will do) I think you can take Caron off that list making the need for forwards more pressing.
There's no evidence to suggest that Caron will be in Boston full time. They already have 10 forwards under contract + Marchand. And Chia has said to be looking for another veteran with leadership. It could be on the defensive side, but it's looking quite full and Chia already said that they don't want to trade away anyone from the team. I'd rather have Caron to play top minutes in the A, than to sit in the rafters or play 4th line minutes in Boston. Arniel on the other hand could be the guy. He's on his last year of contract, so they might want to see if he's good enough for a one way deal.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Although we don't know the exact make-up of the team for the upcoming season, one thing is clear: we must have realistic expectations for this team. Like many other posters, I thought last year's team was going to be outstanding. But that line-up, composed of green youngsters and past-their-prime vets, struggled for much of the season. I think it's important to keep expectations in check.

The forwards who will likely start the season (Hamill, Sauve, Arniel, MacDermid, etc.) are all capable of playing the game at an AHL++ level, IMHO. But I think the team needs to bring in a vet or two (this could be Whitfield) to round out the lineup.

Same deal with the D.: Alexandrov, Bartkowski, Button, Warsofsky have talent to spare, but it's a young lineup I'd like to see the organization bring in one veteran defensemen who played some NHL games and has a few years of AHL action behind him. (I don't mean McIver, who can fight light=heavys and do little more).

Old
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I was really unimpressed with McIver last season. Not looking for an Eddie Shore winner, but there were times he just seemed overmatched out there.

Forwards, I don't think we'll see Reich back. I gotta believe the organization likes Whitfield enough to re-sign him. MacDonald will be in the mix, and although he doesn't bring a lot of offense the guy skates his rear off.

As always, the key will be in net. It's scary the difference between a real prospect in Khudoben and what the Bruins were putting in goal at the start of the year. I know Boston as an organization may have the best tandem in net right at the the top, but it falls off a cliff right there.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
C77

I very much agree with you GarbageGoal. The team needs to have at least average goaltending because bad/inconsistent play from goalies is a confidence killer.

I don't care if the goalie is a prospect or a journeyman as long as he performs adequately.

I tend to think the team will be better because some of the youngsters will have more experience but they do need a consistent scoring threat or two. Maybe Sauve can do it.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Like many other posters, I thought last year's team was going to be outstanding. But that line-up, composed of green youngsters and past-their-prime vets, struggled for much of the season. I think it's important to keep expectations in check.
Thus my 8 unused flex tickets that I bought as a 10 pack

Am I mistaken, or is Hamill up for renew this year? Any news on this?

Old
06-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post

CapGeek has him under contract for this year and an RFA next. I was really hoping that he was off our books this season.

This is the breakdown for the guys in Providence per CapGeek

I am Boston Strong

Last edited by Alicat: 06-27-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post

Yea I had 3 unused flex tickets that I gave away toward the end of the year.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
mloyko

What is the deal with Craig Cunningham, do we still have his rights? I have heard conflicting reports about him.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Bring back Hannu

Old
06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Yea I had 3 unused flex tickets that I gave away toward the end of the year.
Send some my way next season!

Old
06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
CapGeek has him under contract for this year and an RFA next. I was really hoping that he was off our books this season.

This is the breakdown for the guys in Providence per CapGeek

Yeah thats wrong. He is an RFA.

For some reason they have him on entry level slide for 08-09. He played a full season in Prov. that year.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Gruntfuttock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH View Post

For some reason they have him on entry level slide for 08-09. He played a full season in Prov. that year.
Hamill still has a year left in his entry-level deal. Chia confirmed it a while ago. I don't know why, but Hamill's first year didn't count.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Alan Ryan

Thanks Grunt. Really good thread already for the P-Bruins. Good content and no junk posts.

I was one of the fans with high expectations last season. I thought they would be really good after a couple of down years and was surprised at the mediocre result. I think it's important that the Boston prospects develop in a winning atmosphere.

The defense prospects have the most talent of any Providence group in a while. I'll be interested to see who makes the team. Will Bodnarchuk and Valabik make it? Will they be able to tighten the overall defense, assuming Boston brings in a good goalie.

The forward group has talent but needs help. Whitfield should come back and transition to a coaching role when he stops playing. They need his experience.

I'm also curious to see if the coaching change alters the culture and the results. Bruce Cassidy certainly has tons of experience. I hope he creates the right atmosphere for developing young guys. Anybody hear who will be on his staff?

Old
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Alicat
Charge!

delete

Old
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
Hamill still has a year left in his entry-level deal. Chia confirmed it a while ago. I don't know why, but Hamill's first year didn't count.
That is crazy. Hamill has played 3 years in Providence, does he has a singular exception in the CBA?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
crimsonace

I'll say this from having seen Bruce Cassidy coach a decade ago close to the beginning of his career -- and having seen him play before that.

The P-Bruins are getting a first-class, veteran coach who works *VERY* well with minor-league players. Was a solid IHL defenseman, did a yeoman's job of dealing with a fluid (and, compared to the rest of the league, often undermanned) roster in his one year coaching here in the IHL and keeping the team competitive, and then did very well in the IHL/AHL after that, earning him the Washington job.

He's a very good teacher, very good at developing young players and to boot, he's a first-class individual. I'm glad to see he's in the Bruins organization for the long haul.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Valabik is an RFA. Did they even qualify him? Any idea if they're interested in bringing him back?

Also, I've noticed there are A LOT of free agent goalie out there. With such a young defense, I suspect the Bruins are hoping to find an NHL journeyman to play in Providence. A guy like Curtis Sanford, Martin Gerber or maybe even Lalime.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
Valabik is an RFA. Did they even qualify him? Any idea if they're interested in bringing him back?

Also, I've noticed there are A LOT of free agent goalie out there. With such a young defense, I suspect the Bruins are hoping to find an NHL journeyman to play in Providence. A guy like Curtis Sanford, Martin Gerber or maybe even Lalime.
I asked around on Valabik, but it looks like Marchand is the only RFA who was qualified according to caley's meticulous research. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to work out a contract with Boris as the 7th/8th/shuttle defenseman though... maybe try him up front as a 4th liner/net-front presence on the PP in Providence if they decide the blue line's too crowded?

They definitely need a Sabourin-type back in Providence, I'm with you there.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH View Post

i thought so too, but there's a rule that says if a kid plays his 20-yr-old season in the AHL and doesn't see 10 NHL games (and i think if he plays all 3 of those years in the AHL), then that first year slides (as if it never happened). so basically the bruins get a free year of AHL service for hamill. not sure how that affects his waiver status, but may mean he's free to go down without waivers.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Kovi

this thread is not making kovi happy.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
BruinDust

Interesting that by qualifying Bodnarchuk, the Bruins have a glut of young D-men in Providence:

Kampfer
Cohen
Bartkowski
Button
Cantin
Warsofsky
Bodnarchuk
Alexandrov
McIver (Not that young anymore)

One of these guys will most likely make the big squad, probably Kampfer. Still leaves 8 D-men and Free Agency hasn't even begun yet.

Old
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
Interesting that by qualifying Bodnarchuk, the Bruins have a glut of young D-men in Providence:

Kampfer
Cohen
Bartkowski
Button
Cantin
Warsofsky
Bodnarchuk
Alexandrov
McIver (Not that young anymore)

One of these guys will most likely make the big squad, probably Kampfer. Still leaves 8 D-men and Free Agency hasn't even begun yet.

This is the most talented group for Providence in a long time, although not a lot of overall experience there with the three rookies.

Bodnarchuk has to be considered an AHL veteran at this point. Perhaps they qualified him thinking that someone on the list won't make the P-Bruins roster.

Defensemen who were not qualified:

Wild
Valabik
McKelvie

Anyone surprised by these moves? What do think of the group?

Old
06-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

Wow, not much of the forwards are coming back, eh?

Closed Thread