HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Still a Flyers fan?

View Poll Results: Still a Flyer's fan?
Yes 195 53.57%
Still thinking about it... 7 1.92%
Sort of hard right now... but yes. 47 12.91%
No, this is too far. 75 20.60%
What can you do? 40 10.99%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

vCash: 500
We will be there next yr we didnt lose we gained.............

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:27 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
this organization has made many trades that I didnt like. Doesnt mean I am going to stop loving this team. from Poulin to Brind'Amour being traded to trading Richards and Carter. trades are going to happen that we all hate. Does it suck? absolutely. But I am a Flyer fan first. I stopped playing favorites years ago.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
this organization has made many trades that I didnt like. Doesnt mean I am going to stop loving this team. from Poulin to Brind'Amour being traded to trading Richards and Carter. trades are going to happen that we all hate. Does it suck? absolutely. But I am a Flyer fan first. I stopped playing favorites years ago.
Amen, brother

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I've been saying Carter and Richards had to go about a quarter of the way through the season. I was on the other end of the spectrum. I started to lose interest seeing the direction the team heading being driven by them. Who knows, I'll probably be wrong, but thats how I felt. FWIW....

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:47 PM
PlantersOye

Not sure why this is even a question, really.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Devonator

I know I am also in a minority here but I love these trades...the culture of the team obviously needed changing and we get young blue chip top ranked prospects and players in return....I love this deal....my attachment is rarely for an individual player but for the team and in the long run, we are a better team as the future will show....can't wait too see Schenn and Voracek this coming season.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Sanders418777

Can we get a list together of the 70 who voted no?

Also, think we can package these losers for some solid posters like Kitten Mittens?
Or is there value so diminished now that they have forced our hand to trade them out?

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:49 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
Can we get a list together of the 70 who voted no?

Also, think we can package these losers for some solid posters like Kitten Mittens?
Or is there value so diminished now that they have forced our hand to trade them out?
Just going by their user names, I'd say quite a few of them never were Flyer fans to begin with.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:54 AM
mja
Negative Creep

When I die and they open up my chest during my autopsy, they will note with curiosity that my heart is stunningly similar in shape to the Flyers logo.

In short, yes. I'm still a fan. There isn't anything the team can do to change that. I've seen them blow up the late 80's teams, the LOD teams, the Hitchcock teams, and now the Richie/Carter teams. This is old hat.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Mylec 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

Very well said.

I was devastated when Brind'Amour was traded. To me, losing Brindy was 100 times worse than losing Richards and/or Carter. But yeah, I got over it.

To me, regardless of certain moves which are tough to swallow, at the end of the day, the old quote, play for the logo on the front, not the name on the back, applies to fans too.

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I was stunned and in shock, still sort of am, but I've been a Flyers fan since I was a little kid, for over 20 years... I'll die one.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I was stunned and in shock, still sort of am, but I've been a Flyers fan since I was a little kid, for over 20 years... I'll die one.
This.

I am actually surprised this thread is still on the board. If you said no you were never a flyers fan to begin with, true fans obviously said yes.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

And honestly, when I checked twitter on the phone just before I fell asleep and read about the first trade, I was kinda meh. Good return, went to the computer only to find out HF has crashed and Richards has been traded. At that point I was so pissed off.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:55 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Just going by their user names, I'd say quite a few of them never were Flyer fans to begin with.
I think I recognize one name in that whole list, other than two Kitchener Rangers fans (one of whom is a huge Leafs fan).

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Sanders418777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yea you're right... mostly other teams coming in bringing down our numbers.

And the only "flyers" fans just look like a bunch of Mike Richards' "woofy" homeboys.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

And the only "flyers" fans just look like a bunch of Mike Richards' "woofy" homeboys.
Oooooo, aren't you something! Maybe some of us aren't lemmings. Maybe we're sick of seeing a GM repeatedly make stupid moves, deplete our farm system and **** up the cap while still keeping his job. I never said I wouldn't be a Flyer fan anymore but I did feel completely gutted when I heard what happened considering getting rid of dead weight (Shelley, Walker, Leighton and other wastes of cap space) could have done the job. What happened Thursday was a knee jerk reaction to cover Homer's bad signings and based on a senile old man's demands to get a goalie. We could have had both by getting rid of those horrid signings and could have also kept a draft pick here and there instead of handing them out like candy.

Maybe the next poll should be along the lines of how long it takes before the fan base turns on Giroux and JvR since they're the new faces of the franchise.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

If you voted no, you were never a fan to begin with.
BTW, someone mentioned the poulin/propp trades.

these remind me of those, but with actual good return.
F-ing Jay Snider.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
kicksave27

I'm actually fairly excited, it's like a long term relationship which didn't quite work, it was OK, but not the best. And now you've got younger girls, just as hot throwing themselves at you.

Things got more uncertain, but possibly brighter.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I'm actually fairly excited, it's like a long term relationship which didn't quite work, it was OK, but not the best. And now you've got younger girls, just as hot throwing themselves at you.

Things got more uncertain, but possibly brighter.

haha... at first I thought you wrote tighter... not brighter haha

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
When I die and they open up my chest during my autopsy, they will note with curiosity that my heart is stunningly similar in shape to the Flyers logo.

In short, yes. I'm still a fan. There isn't anything the team can do to change that. I've seen them blow up the late 80's teams, the LOD teams, the Hitchcock teams, and now the Richie/Carter teams. This is old hat.
When you die, the doctors will be stunned that you had a heart.

Can you treat it like an oil well, when its underground out of sight.....

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
rban*

I really dont know. Flyers spent 5 years developing Richards and Carter into stars, now they've replaced them with young guys who will take another 3-5 years to get to the same level as Richards and Carter (if they ever do).

And meanwhile Prongs and Timo both over 35 and not getting younger.

Looks like they've missed their window of opportunity. I dont see them even challenging for the Cup for another 3 years at least.

ALready been waiting since mid 70s, been about 40 years without a Cup.

Exactly how long does this team expect its fan base to wait? 50 years? Or will they shoot for 60 years without a single Cup?

Eventually fans will get turned off and rebel. Rabid fanbase, sure, but no one has infinite patience. Except Leaf fans, and they dont count as human IMO.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
rban*

Really this is a frustrating team. Years and years investing in Lindros, despite a bad relationship with Clarke, before finally parting ways.

Primeau finally develops into a top star, then they grab Forsberg, and both get career ensing injuries.

Develop Richards and Carter into stars, then decide it isnt working and go back to aquare one with much younger guys.

Very frustrating. Hard ti be a Philly fan. When will they finally get it right?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
DumpyD

It's impossible for me to not be a flyers fan.

I'm absolutely not a fan of Holmgren or Snider.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
It's impossible for me to not be a flyers fan.

I'm absolutely not a fan of Holmgren or Snider.
This is the way I think I would feel. I think what Holmgren did to Carter was awful. I'd always cheer for the players on the ice but that doesn't mean you have to think the management is ethical.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:

Like I said before, I don't owe Philly anything...I literally have zero association with the city. Quite frankly, the hack writers and dissatisfied fans of Philly are partly to blame for the Flyers perceived lack of success in the Post-Lockout era. What's wrong with making the conference finals and losing to the eventual cup champs 5 years in a row? LA is my city and now my favorite player, who I have been following since before he was a Flyer, has been foolishly traded to the Kings for a pretty big haul.

You and I have the same level of loyalty, except mine lies with Mike Richards first and the Philadelphia Flyers second.

Do you stick with the same dead-end job because they have paid you alright for the past 10 years, or do you move on to greener pastures when you feel the time is right and deserve a promotion for all of your hard work and dedication to the "company"? Have you been living in the same home your entire life because it is "your home"? Do you still shop at Baby Gap because that's where mommy likes to shop? How about technology...don't tell me you still use VHS.

Loyalty, even with sports franchise fandom, isn't always the highest honor one can place upon an entity. Sometimes, it takes a stronger person to cut ties with the past and blaze a new exciting trail.

Like I said before, I will still follow the Philadelphia Flyers, most likely more than a majority of scrub "real fans" both on this site and in Philly. However, becoming a LA Kings fan following the Mike Richards saga does not make me any less knowledgeable about Hockey, the NHL, or the Philadelphia Flyers as an organization.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote