HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke: Flyers different, but better after big moves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
  #1
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
Clarke: Flyers different, but better after big moves

Good interview..and I agree

Quote:
ST. PAUL -- In the eyes of Bob Clarke, the complexion of the Philadelphia Flyers certainly changed this week.

"But from our standpoint, it's for the better," Clarke, the team's senior vice president, told NHL.com on the floor at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. "It'll be a different team -- bigger, faster, younger and stronger."

The Flyers made a major organizational shakeup on Thursday by trading Jeff Carter and captain Mike Richards in separate deals with Columbus and Los Angeles that reverberated throughout the hockey community. In return, they reeled in top prospect Brayden Schenn and promising young players Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds. General Manager Paul Holmgren also acquired the No. 8 pick and a third-round choice (No. 68) in the 2011 Draft via the deal with Columbus for Carter.

"I think that Paul Holmgren thought about (these trades) a lot and did what he thought was right for the team and all of us who are a part of the organization certainly support what he did," Clarke said. "He's made our team better. We realize we gave up two very good players and you hope it's a deal that turns out good for the Flyers, Los Angeles and Columbus.

"(Carter and Richards) are terrific players and they were important to our organization, but it was time for a change."

Still, Clarke knows pulling the trigger on the deals had to be a difficult one. Richards had been the team's captain the last three years and produced 133 goals and 349 points in 453 career games spanning six seasons with the Flyers.

"I think any manager would feel the same way as Paul did after making those deals," Clarke said. "He likes those guys. They're not only good players but good people and they come through the organization and it's certainly not an easy thing that Paul did … it took a lot of soul searching, thinking and planning and he did what was right for the Flyers, which is his job."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
  #2
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,757
vCash: 500
If nothing else, I'm EXTREMELY excited to watch 2 more young stars (schenn and couturier) grow and (hopefully) turn into impact NHL players.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
  #3
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If nothing else, I'm EXTREMELY excited to watch 2 more young stars (schenn and couturier) grow and (hopefully) turn into impact NHL players.
Agree..that's why I hope we don't package any of them for something else..I'd rather just sign a mid-tier free agent (like a defensive center) and then keep some money around for contigency purposes. I def want to keep Couturier...guy is going to be VERY good!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
  #4
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,419
vCash: 50
we are not a better hockey team right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
  #5
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we are not a better hockey team right now.
Right on paper....we'll see. Again lots of intangibles that can come out of this in the season that can't be measured necessarily. We're def a different team that is for sure. As Holmgren likes to say.."we'll see how it plays out." I just don't think it's as bad as some people are characterizing things..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
  #6
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we are not a better hockey team right now.
Agreed. We MAY be better in the future but not today.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
  #7
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Yeah but it'll taje time for these young guys to grow into stars. While they grow as forwards, the D gets worse and worse. Pronger and Tino both over 35, Pronger unable to play these POs and much of season due to injuries.. and that situation will get worse not better.

Ironic. Flyers had cr*p goltending and a good defense, now they'll have hopefully better goaltending but an ageing defense.

(BTW anyone who thinks Carle and Mesz and Coburn can improve enough to replace Prongs and Timo are in Disneyland).

IMO they need to do something about Timo. Ie use his 6 or 7 mil to replace him with an impact star DMan in his prime.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
  #8
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Right on paper....we'll see. Again lots of intangibles that can come out of this in the season that can't be measured necessarily. We're def a different team that is for sure. As Holmgren likes to say.."we'll see how it plays out." I just don't think it's as bad as some people are characterizing things..
oh I dont think we are a lottery team. But this team right now as constructed is not a Stanley Cup contender

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
  #9
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=GoneFullHolmgren;34173773][QUOTE=DrDoom;34171571]Right on paper....we'll see. Again lots of intangibles that can come out of this in the season that can't be measured necessarily. We're def a different team that is for sure. As Holmgren likes to say.."we'll see how it plays out." I just don't think it's as bad as some people are characterizing things..
Quote:

oh I dont think we are a lottery team. But this team right now as constructed is not a Stanley Cup contender
Honestly I'm not so sure with Carter and Richards we were ultimately either. I'd rather the hit now to extend the window. The hit will be a hit no doubt..have my concerns but won't be a death blow and you might see a more competitive product on the ice. Again time will tell..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
  #10
Intentional Icing
why you little!
 
Intentional Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 215
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
No one can possibly say beyond a shadow of a doubt that we're better or worse until the team steps out onto the ice and plays a couple of games.

This is the NHL, you never know...

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
  #11
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Of course Clarke says we're better. This is like Bill Gates saying "Hey guys. I like Microsoft."

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
  #12
clodejirew
Registered User
 
clodejirew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
I think that having a legit 1st 2nd and 3rd line will help. I also don't think we are much worse from last year. Guys like JVR and Giroux could do a lot this season with legit 1st line minutes. Young guys like Simmonds, Voracek, JVR could all be due for breakout seasons imo. The scoring definitely will not drop much from last season. Not to mention the improvement in net. Bryzgalov is a proven #1 and having a highly skilled backup like Bob gives them one of the best tandems in the NHL, much improved from last year.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
  #13
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,757
vCash: 500
The thing is, we might not necessarily be a better team right now. But 1, after free agency, you never know. We might come out being a better team.
2, we couldn't get worse than we were the second half of last season. Richards and Carter were both non-factors in the playoffs, and it's evident that their inability to develop chemistry with anyone on the team was an issue.
3, IMO, in a few years we will be a much better team than we were before we traded Richards and Carter.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
  #14
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
The thing is, we might not necessarily be a better team right now. But 1, after free agency, you never know. We might come out being a better team.
2, we couldn't get worse than we were the second half of last season. Richards and Carter were both non-factors in the playoffs, and it's evident that their inability to develop chemistry with anyone on the team was an issue.
3, IMO, in a few years we will be a much better team than we were before we traded Richards and Carter.

For 2: Richards had pneumonia and a bum wrist. Carter sprained his knee, and came back early. Expecting them to be phenoms while injured/sick is unrealistic. Carter had chemistry with Giroux, and Richards had chemistry with Gagne (traded) and Versteeg, as well as Giroux.

For 1 and 3: I sure freaking hope so.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  #15
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
For 2: Richards had pneumonia and a bum wrist. Carter sprained his knee, and came back early. Expecting them to be phenoms while injured/sick is unrealistic. Carter had chemistry with Giroux, and Richards had chemistry with Gagne (traded) and Versteeg, as well as Giroux.

For 1 and 3: I sure freaking hope so.
You are overblowing these "injuries" way too much...seriously it's pretty bad. I think Daulton said it best..there is a difference between playing injured and playing hurt. If you are hurt you can still help your team and plenty of professional athletes have done so and continue to do so. Remember Kappy and other players on the Flyers some who played with broken ribs and were still effective. He also said that if you are INJURED and can't perform then it's best for you and the team to pull yourself out and let somebody who can give it their all go in there even if they are less talented. Where there is a will there is a way...

Richards was HURT with his wrist and pneumonia ..he wasn't some invalid and it was clear by the second half his will power to overcome those nagging maladies wasn't there like in previous years. He just wasn't the same and it wasn't all physical...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  #16
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
For 2: Richards had pneumonia and a bum wrist. Carter sprained his knee, and came back early. Expecting them to be phenoms while injured/sick is unrealistic. Carter had chemistry with Giroux, and Richards had chemistry with Gagne (traded) and Versteeg, as well as Giroux.

For 1 and 3: I sure freaking hope so.
Just because giroux makes everyone around him better, doesn't necessarily mean that he had chemistry with Carter. I don't know, for some reason it just seemed like any line Carter was plugged into, he ruined any chemistry that had going.
And no, just because steeg was brought in to play with Richards, doesn't mean they actually had any chemistry. I really didn't see it. If they had, they both would have been factors down the stretch. I realize richie had a busted wrist, but that alone refutes your claim that they had chemistry. Because injury or not, they were both ineffective down the stretch and in the playoffs.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
You are overblowing these "injuries" way too much...seriously it's pretty bad. I think Daulton said it best..there is a difference between playing injured and playing hurt. If you are hurt you can still help your team and plenty of professional athletes have done so and continue to do so. Remember Kappy and other players on the Flyers some who played with broken ribs and were still effective. He also said that if you are INJURED and can't perform then it's best for you and the team to pull yourself out and let somebody who can give it their all go in there even if they are less talented. Where there is a will there is a way...

Richards was HURT with his wrist and pneumonia ..he wasn't some invalid and it was clear by the second half his will power to overcome those nagging maladies wasn't there like in previous years. He just wasn't the same and it wasn't all physical...
You are completely dismissing these injuries way too easily.

A sprained MCL is most certainly an injury. A wrist problem that needs surgery is most certainly an injury. And if you think the team would have been better off with Richards not playing, you clearly just hate Richards. I don't see how you can claim otherwise; there's no way to back up that statement. He was the team's Captain, and he was leading by example...but you'd rather have him just sit out and watch from the press box? You and others would be tearing him apart for doing that.

These guys cant ****ing win. They play injured, and people hound them for not playing well enough. They sit out for being injured, and people hound them for not playing.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
  #18
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,784
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Just because giroux makes everyone around him better, doesn't necessarily mean that he had chemistry with Carter. I don't know, for some reason it just seemed like any line Carter was plugged into, he ruined any chemistry that had going.
And no, just because steeg was brought in to play with Richards, doesn't mean they actually had any chemistry. I really didn't see it. If they had, they both would have been factors down the stretch. I realize richie had a busted wrist, but that alone refutes your claim that they had chemistry. Because injury or not, they were both ineffective down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Carter and Giroux worked well together. Why do you think Lavi had them both on the same line for nearly the whole season? If Carter was so detrimental, how did Giroux lead the team in points?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:41 PM
  #19
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
We are a better team right now. This season will prove it. We actually got bullied in the second half of the season when the games mattered. Even buffalo bullied us

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:54 PM
  #20
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We are a better team right now. This season will prove it. We actually got bullied in the second half of the season when the games mattered. Even buffalo bullied us
I honestly think that Holmgren, Snider and Clarke are literally saying we'll be a better TEAM as far as chemistry most of all....on paper we still have issues obviously by losing those two. That is a big chunk of production and minutes you traded away but they got a lot back and over time it will prove much more beneficial. We'll be ok but there will be some bumps I suspect until everybody's role is more defined on the team due to the turnover. Plus we're not done as Powe's trade shows.....I think we'll get a good established player to lessen the impact even more...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  #21
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
I honestly think that carter coming back was the problem last year. It's not that Carter isn't a great player, don't get me wrong. But the team was so consistent when he was out. Maybe something happened with the chemistry of the team. But it happened the year before too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:11 PM
  #22
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I honestly think that Holmgren, Snider and Clarke are literally saying we'll be a better TEAM as far as chemistry most of all....on paper we still have issues obviously by losing those two. That is a big chunk of production and minutes you traded away but they got a lot back and over time it will prove much more beneficial. We'll be ok but there will be some bumps I suspect until everybody's role is more defined on the team due to the turnover. Plus we're not done as Powe's trade shows.....I think we'll get a good established player to lessen the impact even more...
we lost a lot with Carter and Richards. But also we just received a massive upgrade in goal. Simmonds, Schenn, Vora, are going to help fill in for what carter and richards brought. We just went from Boucher to Byrzgalov that should be pretty significant of a difference. I am excited about this season.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:20 PM
  #23
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Carter and Giroux worked well together. Why do you think Lavi had them both on the same line for nearly the whole season? If Carter was so detrimental, how did Giroux lead the team in points?
Touché.

Idk, just my opinion. And it's not really a slight against Carter. I've always been one of the formost Carter defenders/supporters on this board, and I'm going to miss him regardless. I hope he does well, and I hope he's doing ok. I hear he's pretty shaken up over the trade

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
  #24
PlantersOye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we are not a better hockey team right now.
On paper it doesn't, but this is a new direction for the franchise that will either hurt us or pay off huge dividends. This could be a dynasty team or an early-exit-playoff team.

I like the odds.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
  #25
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
A lot of Orange Kool aid being passed around here.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.