HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

26th Overall Pick: Phillip Danault

Old
06-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Hewy

vCash: 500
lots of intangibles, great leader and work ethic, but he was a reach at 25, could have likely got him with one of our 2nd rounders.

most scouts will also tell you he doesn't project to be anything more than a bottom 6 guy, nothing wrong with that, but just trying to keep my expectations at a reasonable level.

Hewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:33 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Kinda sounds like kopecky...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
So would you say he's kinda like Bolland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbearcats View Post
sounds exactly like sharpie......
Ok guys, which is it?

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:36 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Sharpecklland... Or Koparpland? Or Bollarpecky?

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:37 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Ain't Sharpie. I was tossing out Puempel as his comparison until he confirms it himself tonight. Sounds like a mini Bolland to me.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Hewy

far from matt peumple..

Hewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:00 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

To me, he sounds like a less gritty Darren Helm.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Darjeeling

Phillip Danault is a great great pick for the Blackhawks. One of my favourite player in the Q. A brilliant young man with a terrific hockey sense. He has a lion heart.

Darjeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
s04

Being a Victoriaville fan I can tell you this: You'll never regret that pick, even he makes it as a fourth line player.

Most dedicated player I have seen in a while, he leaves everything on the ice and will do anything for the team. He is a true team player and a born leader. Coaches and players love him. That's just for the part of his dedication towards the game.

As a player, I would say his main strength is his skating ability. He is a fast skater and he loves using his speed to get past defenders and then drive to the net. He likes to control the game when he's one the ice and is able to protect the puck along the boards pretty well. He doesn't have first class vision or hands, but he has a good hockey IQ and is good at finding the opening for teammates around him. His shot improved dramatically last year and it makes him a lot more dangerous offensively. He is defensively responsible as well and was Victoriaville's main PK guy last year.

Being one of the most physical young forwards in the Q, he still needs to add weight (which he already did) to be more effective along to boards at a higher level and to be able to practice his style against bigger forwards and defencemans. In my opinion he could also make his game more complex, using his skills a lit bit more, rather than just relying on speed and crashing the net all the time (even if I love it).

I expected him to go in the second round because his offensive abilities at a higher level remain a big question mark, but I guess the rest of his game was worth taking him in the first round after all.

s04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:29 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Thanks for the feedback samrob!

Old
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
madgoat33

So he plays like bolland and works like kopecky...I could really get behind this guy.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Hawksfan2828

This kid sounds like a Johnny Toews without the offense.

Maybe a John Madden or Dave Bolland type??

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I really start to like that pick

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:51 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Burry without the sense of humor?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Didn't know much about him at first, more disappointed they didn't land Jurco/Namestnikov, but gotta love everything you're hearing about this kid.
I agree, but to me Stan went safe here when there was a lot of homeruns still on the board. I might be in the minority here, but this pick I was not happy with. I will admit I follow the Q the least and maybe that is my issue, but I just dont see the upside here in this kid. I think like last year with Kevin Hayes, we could have gotten this kid in the second round. I hope he proves me wrong, but he just seems like a kid that tops out as a third line grinder, and though we definitely need those, I just saw a lot more offense still on the board then this guy.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman/Hawks wanted him and used their pick for the guy they wanted. We need more Winger prospects. This guy will make it, I have a good feeling

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I agree, but to me Stan went safe here when there was a lot of homeruns still on the board. I might be in the minority here, but this pick I was not happy with. I will admit I follow the Q the least and maybe that is my issue, but I just dont see the upside here in this kid. I think like last year with Kevin Hayes, we could have gotten this kid in the second round. I hope he proves me wrong, but he just seems like a kid that tops out as a third line grinder, and though we definitely need those, I just saw a lot more offense still on the board then this guy.
This basically sums up my feelings about the pick aswell. But, at the same time, as you mentioned, he's a safer pick. There were players available who have the potential to be more impactful, but Danault looks like he'll be a sure fire third line player with potential to surprise.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
ploppsdman

I'm not a fan of the pick. The 'hawk already took the "hard working, but offensively challenged winger" at 18. I would have preferred others, maybe even the midget Rocco or Rattie.

All in all, not a fan of the 'hawks draft. They picked a lot of low ceiling safe guys, outside of Shalunov, and we all know the 'hawks draft record with drafting Russians. I don't get Clendening. They've had good success taking offensive D who are great skaters, ie Keith and Lalonde. Why bother with a guy who is 5' 11" and an average skater?

If they really liked Danault that much, I guess I'm OK with them using the 26th on him, but that's two years in a row they've mildly reached on guys, with Hayes not pegged as a first rounder. And I would have rather had Puempel over Mcneil. McNeil just comes across as Ethan Moreau at best. Or you wanted to go hard player to play against, pick Biggs. Shalunov and Saad are the most interesting to me, but I doubt this draft will produce anything for the 'hawks.

ploppsdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppsdman View Post
I'm not a fan of the pick. The 'hawk already took the "hard working, but offensively challenged winger" at 18. I would have preferred others, maybe even the midget Rocco or Rattie.

All in all, not a fan of the 'hawks draft. They picked a lot of low ceiling safe guys, outside of Shalunov, and we all know the 'hawks draft record with drafting Russians. I don't get Clendening. They've had good success taking offensive D who are great skaters, ie Keith and Lalonde. Why bother with a guy who is 5' 11" and an average skater?

If they really liked Danault that much, I guess I'm OK with them using the 26th on him, but that's two years in a row they've mildly reached on guys, with Hayes not pegged as a first rounder. And I would have rather had Puempel over Mcneil. McNeil just comes across as Ethan Moreau at best. Or you wanted to go hard player to play against, pick Biggs. Shalunov and Saad are the most interesting to me, but I doubt this draft will produce anything for the 'hawks.

McNeill isn't offensively challenged? He projects to be a 2nd line centre at this point, and from the way he talks, he certainly believes he can be better then a 2nd line centre.

Adam Clendening is an offensive-minded blueliner who has alot of offensive potential, but is also on the small side and as you mentioned an average skater - far from a safe pick.

Brandon Saad could be a great prospect, or a bust, again.. not really a "safe pick" but he could end up being a great player for us.

Danault is a safe pick, but he also projects to be at worst a third liner because of his work ethic and stellar defensive play.

Shalunov is certainly an interesting pick, hopefully he comes over and doesn't bide his time in the KHL for years ala Makarov.

All in all, if all these players the Hawks pick reach their max potential it could be a HUGE draft for them, but even if they don't, you gotta believe McNeill/Danault will be at the very least quality bottom 6 NHLers.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:19 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

After watching his interviews I can already tell that this guy will do well here. He's one of those players that is so thrilled to be here that you know he'll bust his ass every shift and make the most of it. His scouting report seems to agree with that.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:55 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Came here to say exactly what the Q guys were gonna say. All heart and defense. He's got the tools to put up the points, but has to work on his shot a bit more. And what prospect doesn't need work on strength and endurance? Maybe Larsson.

And just so you know, his name would be pronounced as "Dano."

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
s04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Came here to say exactly what the Q guys were gonna say. All heart and defense. He's got the tools to put up the points, but has to work on his shot a bit more. And what prospect doesn't need work on strength and endurance? Maybe Larsson.

And just so you know, his name would be pronounced as "Dano."
I think I read somewhere he already put up something like 8 or 9 pounds this summer.

That's funny because he's already one of the hardest hitter in the Q and defencemen have trouble handling him when he's cutting to the net or working along the boards.

Can't imagine what it will be like when he's 19 and weighting 200-205 pounds.

He said in a local newspaper in Victoriaville that he'd like to make the team at 19. Still a lot of work ahead, but that's what he would like to do.

Here's a video after he came back to Victoriaville after the draft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAde...ature=youtu.be

s04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
BlackHawkeye*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrob08 View Post
Here's a video after he came back to Victoriaville after the draft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAde...ature=youtu.be
cool.

BlackHawkeye* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:14 PM
grimskunk777

It's easy to gain weight when you're from "poutine" city.

grimskunk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
HawkinMI

Sounds like he'll be playing with Dave Bolland in a few years. I like the pick.

HawkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
DontToewzMeBro

We didn't draft Bolland we drafted a mixture of Marchand and Callahan.

We shall call him Callachand.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote