HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate

Old
06-25-2011, 06:16 AM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Hi:
Besides my regular duties with the website I am the beat writer for the Pirates and my goal is to keep you informed on what is going on with the Pirates during the season. I try to be interactive and approachable to the fans because they are what drive this sport. If the fans donít feel engaged into something they lose interest and at the end of the day might as well find a new line of work.
Regards.
Looking forwards to your reports

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Wont it cost a lot more to transport all the players and making new arrangements? I know it's relationship-based but I dont really understand the logic - San Antonio is a much better fit.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:29 AM
pfp

On the up side... when guys like Wheeler complain that they want to play in a "hockey city" we'll have a solution for them.

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:44 AM
DesertDawg

IMO,
The Atlantic Division (or should I say New England) teams, are relatively close and therefore less travel is a huge plus... I'm sure that was part of the deciding factor... The West - Peoria, Milwaukee, Rockford, & Chicago isn't relatively close...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
tuxonpups

I assume they'll be adopting the official Coyotes affiliate name as well?

"The Portland Gene Pool"

I'll buy a shirt...

tuxonpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
IMO,
The Atlantic Division (or should I say New England) teams, are relatively close and therefore less travel is a huge plus... I'm sure that was part of the deciding factor... The West - Peoria, Milwaukee, Rockford, & Chicago isn't relatively close...
what i think gwyddbwyll was trying to say was when players get called up there would be more travel expense going from there to phoenix...and less going from here to phoenix.

Last edited by Jessica: 06-25-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:29 AM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

Maine Sports Network - Streaming Monday's Press Conference.

It seems 100% positive the Coyotes are headed to Portland, guess it's time to introduce the other group in Portland. I am Jeff Schools of The Maine Sports Network. Along with my business partner, Matty, we cover everything to do with Maine Sports. A little history.

We are both born and raised in Maine and feel that gives us a unique perspective that other sites don't. I am 42, born in South Portland, and go back to the Maine Mariners days when Doc Emrick taught me hockey on the radio by calling the 2 Calder Cup winning teams in 78 & 79. Matty is 33, raised in central Maine, and was a sports nut from the get go.

We are both HUGE sports fans, emphasis on the FAN. We were regular callers to 96.3 The Big Jab in Portland, Maine's #1 sports station, so we had a huge passion for sports radio. In 2008 we started a podcast called The Sports Vortex and launched The Central Maine Sports Blog. We then moved the Vortex to a community radio station, all 25 watts of it, for about a year, cutting our proverbial radio chops. In April of 09, after frankly badgering the Big Jab to death, they gave us a Saturday morning show, our baby, The Weekend Warm Up. During that time, we built relationships with all the local minor league teams and actually covered games. Our niche in the market was to provide full, unedited audio from pre, post game and press conferences. Our philosophy is that something gets lost in the translation from audio to a "story" so let's just provide the "real" story. We also have our own photographers, so you get full coverage from our little ragtag group. We now have a family of sites, covering high school sports (which we broadcast on the radio), hockey, baseball and the UMaine system. You can find all links to our sites at MaineSportsNetwork.com. Our hockey site is Pine Tree Pucks.

We promise one thing when we cover these teams, we will try and get you, the fan, the info you desire FIRST. We are not as spit and polished as others, but we are passionate and we feel we provide content fans truly want. Our weekend show streams online, if you want a feel for the kind of sports town Portland is..have a listen. We talk everything, so we have a blast! Check out the website, drop us a note and lets see what happens in the next chapter of Portland Pirates hockey.

One of the benefits of the way we have built our business, we have our own, state of the art, remote broadcasting equipment. We can literally broadcast from a field with a 3G card if we had to. We will be streaming Monday's Press Conference to announce the Portland Pirates new affiliate, the Phoenix Coyotes. 1PM start.

Thanks again and hope you will stop on by. Oh, and 1 last thing...we are monsters on the Social Media. We love interacting with people. Twitter is our friend! Follow us @JeffMESN @MattyMESN @Wil_MESN and Maine Sports Network on Facebook.

Last edited by JeffMESN: 06-26-2011 at 07:52 AM.
JeffMESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
IMO,
Less travel could be a factor potential AHL vets look at when looking for work. At this point the AHL roster is largely a work in progress.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:08 AM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

LIVE stream for affiliate announcement 1PM

The Maine Sports Network will be streaming LIVE the Pirates announcement that they are the new AHL affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes. 1PM Eastern Monday

STORY AND STREAM LINK>>>>>

Old
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team

Cool!

Vip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
awfulwaffle

It's official!

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567423

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
kingbrutis

Always loved the jerseys when the pirates were the caps farm team years ago. Look forward to your guys coverage.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:02 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

A Portland fan here stopping in to say hello. I went down to the press conference and I'm actually quite excited to be affiliated with Phoenix. It sounds like there is a five year agreement in place, so the affiliation will hopefully last a bit longer than our previous two with Buffalo and Anaheim. Brian Petrovec, the owner of the team, expressed how interested the Phoenix organization was in partnering up with Portland. That was a major factor in the decision to affiliatie with the Coyotes.

From a fan perspective, I love the young crop of players you have in your organization. You've done this while icing a competitive team the last two seasons. I was told that the team we'll see next season, in Portland, will be a defensive oriented team. It will be composed of bigger and more physical players, unlike the team we had when affiliated with Buffalo. It sounds a lot like the teams I'm used to following, like the Boston Bruins. When we were affiliated with Anaheim, we had a similar team in the AHL too, which I liked.

Petrovec also expressed how important it is for the AHL team to be competitive. Obviously this is great to hear and didn't expect anything less. With a great pipeline of players mixed in with veterans and a good coaching staff, I don't see this being an issue. It is rumored that a former Pirates player may be returning to the team. Not sure if it would be someone from last season, like a Derek Whitmore, or someone from San Antonio like Nolan Yonkman.

I know you guys got some great defensive prospects in the system that I'll be excited to watch over the next few years. One player in particular is Brandon Gormley. I went and watched him play a few times during his draft year and fell in love with his game. It looks like he'll be in Moncton next season, but I'd love to see him in a Pirates uniform before he becomes a full time Coyote, which should be sooner rather than later.

I'm looking forward to the affiliation and I'll stop in from time to time to add my two cents on how players are developing in the system. Enjoy the summer and I'll be back in the fall for what should be a great season of hockey at the AHL and NHL level.

Note: Don Maloney is supposed to be attending a press conference here in Portland on July 14th, which I'm looking forward to. It is always nice to see the man at the helm of the franchise and I'm sure we'll see him from time to time at games in Portland.

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Kaizen

Will Portland have any players under contract (AHL contract) or will it be exclusively Coyotes contracts?

Old
06-27-2011, 03:12 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 View Post

I'm looking forward to the affiliation and I'll stop in from time to time to add my two cents on how players are developing in the system. Enjoy the summer and I'll be back in the fall for what should be a great season of hockey at the AHL and NHL level.
Looking forward to hearing about it. Like you said, Gormley will be in Moncton or the NHL next year, but the Coyotes have a bunch of talented players who should be in Portland this year. Summers, Goncharov and Stone should all provide some entertainment from the back end.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Magnifique

Are we going to sticky this like we did the SA one? It was nice to have a thread dedicated to our AHL team.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Ray Edwards will be the coach of the Pirates.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

Full Audio from both Pressers today

Check out the full audio from both Brian Petrovek's and the Coyotes' press conferences announcing the affiliation agreement between the Portland Pirates and the Phoenix Coyotes.

LINK FOR FULL AUDIO>>>>>>>

Old
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Edited the OP to be useful, so if a mod wants to sticky this or make a new one i think it would be good.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Pirates fan here. Obviously a Bruins fan in the NHL. I'll check in from to time during the season.

I'll follow the Coyotes a lot more closely now and they'll probably become my Western Conference team. It's easier to have a 2nd team when they're not in the same conference as Boston.

Anyone have a guess on what the Pirates roster might look like or are there a lot of holes that still need to be filled?

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I guess they'll try to bring back some of the free agents from last year's roster like Climie, Yonkman, Picard or Beaudoin. Some are going to be unlikely to pass waivers like Tikhonov and MacLean. They might add Phil Lane or Chris Brown. Most likely Darian Dziurzynski, an overager they just drafted will be signed.

Under contract:

Forwards
Ethan Werek
Andy Miele
Jordan Szwarz
Brett Hextall
Colin Long
Justin Bernhardt

Defensemen
Garrett Stafford
Chris Summers
Maxim Goncharov
Michael Stone
Nick Ross
Mathieu Brodeur
Justin Weller

RFA's
Marc-Antoine Pouliot
Viktor Tikhonov
Brett MacLean

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates make Phoenix affiliation official
Published on: 27th June, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
Portland, ME – Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney remembers about having nightmares coming to the Cumberland County Civic Center during his playing days back in the late 70’s with the New Haven Nighthawks. He hopes to instill some of that same fear into the opposition when they face the Portland Pirates this fall.
Link>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Kaizen

I would guess they'll bring back Kearns and Byers as well, maybe Yonkman?

Edit: And Weller is probably more likely to spend another year in Red Deer.

Any ideas on some AHL vets that might want to set up shop in Portland?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Why are they retaining Ray Edwards? By all accounts he's a terrible coach.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Kaizen

70-56 isn't exactly what I'd call terrible.