HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Jakomyte

vCash: 500
It might seem odd to not qualify three RFAs (Pouliot/Pyatt/Picard), but if we add a player or two through UFA, our roster is already a bit full without them:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-UFA
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Darche-Desharnais-White
UFA

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Weber
Emelin

Price
UFA

It seems that Gauthier basically chose Darche/White over Pouliot/Pyatt.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
El Cloun and DT, who are now on http://www.canadiens-montreal.com/ They mentioned the situation a few times in the last days/weeks.

El Cloun, as in Francophone Eklund?

Old
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Wow - that is poor asset management.

You can't honestly tell me Pouliout couldn't have gotten a 7th round draft pick at the very least.

Brutal.

PG was making me a beliver, but with this years Trade Deadline and now this - if we don't have a great July 1st, I'm going to start to worry.
What the heck are you talking about??...

First off, Pouliot can be re-signed by the Habs for cheaper.
Second, maybe Gauthier rathered try to move him for something better than just a 7th rounder.
Thirdly, it's freaking Pouliot.
Fourthly, if Pouliot can only get a 7th rounder, then what would Pyatt supposedly get? Or, what if no, not even a 7th rounder was offered? Because obviously, with all the crazy connections you have, you must know for a FACT, that he could have fetched at least that.
Fifthly, at some point, you need to realize that a trade isn't necessarily better, ie. Boyd for SK (but that wasn't Gauthier's fault) and that waiting for the last second in order to get something better might be the better risk.
Finally, what if no, no teams were interesting in giving up ANY asset for a player that will not be qualified, that isn't overly interesting at 1.3M, and that is likely to become a UFA that they'll be able to not only sign for less but not lose any asset whatsoever for.
Ya, let's just whine about it and call it poor asset management from Gauthier instead. How pretentious.
Would you give up a 7th rounder for Pouliot and re-sign him for 1.35M when you can wait a week, not lose anything and sign him for Cheaper?? Right...

What did you want Gauthier to do at the deadline? He went after guys like Wiz, Mara, Sopel, but hey, it's never enough because on the actual deadline he did nothing..He should have disregarded cap, gave up asset, and went after players that likely would have changed absolutely nothing in the outcome of our season..
We already had too many injuries to go out and waste some prospects/picks in acquiring a rental.

I would expect some clueless fan to spew out crap like that but not you.
I was willing to let go your Belanger over Gomez comment for the top lines, but now I'm really starting to wonder what the heck is in the water you're drinking, or if you're drinking any.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
So there is no news on White, Gorges and Weber?

Old
Corncob

Kopecky will likely get signed to a one year overpayment by Florida who will then deal him at the trade deadline.

Hence hitting the salary floor and picking up some draft picks.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
looks like St.Louis wastes assets as well.
I really don't know what their problem is. He scored 21g/46 pts on a team that could use offense and this is what he gets in return. Sucks for him man. Watch him sign with Nashville and rip it up.

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Anyone else won't be surprised if Pouliot becomes the next 'former Habs young player who was let go for very little/nothing that'll have a pretty good season with new team' player? Seems inevitable...I mean how else will we fill up the yearly ex-Habs thread with whining.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Didn't Dale tallon forget to qualify Versteeg Byfuglien and Ladd and then was forced to overpay them before they hit the UFA market?

Did this really happen or is a HF meme/myth?
Ahh, I think I remember something about that now. Didn't they submit the QO's but they were filed incorrectly? Anyway, yeah.

I would FREAK if we didn't qualify Gorges.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Another player we gave up on way too early (including people here). I kept saying he's going to be good and no one believed me.

He was a 2nd/3rd liner last year and produced more than everyone on our team except Cammy and Pleks.
The Blues didn't even qualify D'ags and we got Palushaj who may be something.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I really don't know what their problem is. He scored 21g/46 pts on a team that could use offense and this is what he gets in return. Sucks for him man. Watch him sign with Nashville and rip it up.
They probably didn't qualify him because he's a one dimensional player who sucks.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
looks like St.Louis wastes assets as well.
I think they wanted to avoid arbitration which D'Agostini would have probably won.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
Darche-Eller-Desharnais
Moen-White-Eager

Me like! Make it happen PG!

Old
06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think they wanted to avoid arbitration which D'Agostini would have probably won.
Then why not trade him at the draft? BTW they are under the cap floor.

Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Anyone else won't be surprised if Pouliot becomes the next 'former Habs young player who was let go for very little/nothing that'll have a pretty good season with new team' player? Seems inevitable...I mean how else will we fill up the yearly ex-Habs thread with whining.
not in Pouliot case he had all the chances in the world to be a top6 here

Old
Andy

Quote:
I was thinking the samething. just being playing devil's advocate, still they could have traded him. Plus it's not like they have the cap space to re-sign him.

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Sucks for Pouliot because it was his second season, while a player like AK who I love and support, has had 3 questionable seasons with a lot of inconsistency, and he gets another chance.

Anyone else think it might be Pouls version of a sophmore slump? I don't think any other teams give up on players as quick as the Habs.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What the heck are you talking about??...

First off, Pouliot can be re-signed by the Habs for cheaper.
Second, maybe Gauthier rathered try to move him for something better than just a 7th rounder.
Thirdly, it's freaking Pouliot.
Fourthly, if Pouliot can only get a 7th rounder, then what would Pyatt supposedly get?
Fifthly, at some point, you need to realize that a trade isn't necessarily better, ie. Boyd for SK (but that wasn't Gauthier's fault)
Finally, what if no, no teams were interesting in giving up ANY asset for a player that will not be qualified, that isn't overly interesting at 1.3M, and that is likely to become a UFA that they'll be able to not only sign for less but not lose any asset whatsoever.
Ya, let's just whine about it and call it poor asset management from Gauthier instead. How pretentious.

What did you want Gauthier to do at the deadline? He went after guys like Wiz, Mara, Sopel, but hey, it's never enough because on the actual deadline he did nothing..He should have gone have disregarded cap, gave up asset, and went after players that likely would have changed absolutely nothing in the outcome of our season..
We already had too many injuries to go out and waste some prospects/picks in acquiring a rental.

I would expect some clueless fan to spew out crap like that but not you.
I was willing to let go your Belanger over Gomez comment for the top lines, but now I'm really starting to wonder what the heck is in the water you're drinking, or if you're drinking any.
I said that later in another poster that we might try to re-sign him for less. I forgot how much he made and corrected my mistake. I still think Pouliot is a good enough player to earn a spot with this club though, that's my point.

As for the injuries, I don't buy it. I think we could of won the Cup, hell we were one goal away from knocking out the Champs. I would of liked to acquire a forward. Even Sturm who was on waivers for free - not that he had a great end to the season, but that's hindsight.

And man, I like you but I don't really care if you agree with my opinion. That's why it's my opinion.

I'm not even a fan of Pouliot, but unless we attempt to re-sign him for less, it's poor asset management as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
One of the worst sources in the world.
I don't agree. For having following them for what, more than a year now, they very obviously have inside knowledge. They certainly don't always get it right, and sometimes they have been guilty of hyping things, but there's an uncanny pattern in what they say, and how it turns out . But between you and I, if you don't like them, fine. I don't really care.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:46 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Sucks for Pouliot because it was his second season, while a player like AK who I love and support, has had 3 questionable seasons with a lot of inconsistency, and he gets another chance.

Anyone else think it might be Pouls version of a sophmore slump? I don't think any other teams give up on players as quick as the Habs.
I think the fans just whine more about fringe players than anywhere else.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Roke

Quote:
Didn't Dale tallon forget to qualify Versteeg Byfuglien and Ladd and then was forced to overpay them before they hit the UFA market?

Did this really happen or is a HF meme/myth?
Because I looked it up the other day when it came out that he wasn't going to qualify Bergfors...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283634

Kris Versteeg, Cam Barker, Ben Eager, Colin Fraser, Aaron Johnson and Troy Brouwer,

Old
ludger

How many more young players will Martin spurn before someone in the organization realize that Martin must go, not because he is a bad coach but rather that he cannot work with younger players.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
They probably didn't qualify him because he's a one dimensional player who sucks.
Yeah, maybe you should watch some hockey games before spewing that out. D'Agostini played on their shutdown line for half the year. He's improved so, so much.

They didn't qualify him because, I think if they did, he could file for arbitration (which he'd win). We will have to hunt down the rules for that.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Even an under-performing AKost is miles ahead of Pouliot.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

This is the 2nd NHL team that has given up on him.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
How many more young players will Martin spurn before someone in the organization realize that Martin must go, not because he is a bad coach but rather that he cannot work with younger players.
For every Pouliot, Latendresse, D;agostini and Sergei there is a White, Eller, pacioretty Weber, Desharnais and Subban.

Although i agree that Martin has a short leash with younger players, i don't think he's entirely the problem.

Closed Thread