HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, maybe you should watch some hockey games before spewing that out. D'Agostini played on their shutdown line for half the year. He's improved so, so much.

They didn't qualify him because, I think if they did, he could file for arbitration (which he'd win). We will have to hunt down the rules for that.
Well that's just a guess on your part but why wouldn't anyone trade for him before hand? St. Louis is well under the cap floor right now so they could afford him they felt he was worth it.

It's not like he'd win an insane amount of money in arbitration. He's had 1 20 goal season and 1, relatively successful, full season in the NHL.

Old
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

FORWARDS
Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m)
Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Sean Bergenheim ($1.600m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.450m) / Ryan White ($0.750m)
/ Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
How many more young players will Martin spurn before someone in the organization realize that Martin must go, not because he is a bad coach but rather that he cannot work with younger players.
Martin has had amazing success with young players in his 2 years here. Pouliot is the only exception.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Corncob

Quote:
I'm not even a fan of Pouliot, but unless we attempt to re-sign him for less, it's poor asset management as far as I'm concerned.
But ubless you actually have knowledge of a trade offer that someone made for Pouliot and PG turned down, this is meaningless.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Martin has had amazing success with young players in his 2 years here. Pouliot is the only exception.
And Pouliot was way better in Montreal then he ever was in Minnesota.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
And Pouliot was way better in Montreal then he ever was in Minnesota.
That is a scary thought, because Pouliot was one of the most useless players in the entire league.

Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I said that later in another poster that we might try to re-sign him for less. I forgot how much he made and corrected my mistake. I still think Pouliot is a good enough player to earn a spot with this club though, that's my point.

As for the injuries, I don't buy it. I think we could of won the Cup, hell we were one goal away from knocking out the Champs. I would of liked to acquire a forward. Even Sturm who was on waivers for free - not that he had a great end to the season, but that's hindsight.

And man, I like you but I don't really care if you agree with my opinion. That's why it's my opinion.

I'm not even a fan of Pouliot, but unless we attempt to re-sign him for less, it's poor asset management as far as I'm concerned.
Patrice Brisebois was also your best player, you were the personal defendant of Pyatt and think Belanger is a better option than Gomez for the 2nd line...
So, obviously, I don't expect you to care for my opinion

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
I think the fans just whine more about fringe players than anywhere else.
Yeah must be it.

Quote:
Even an under-performing AKost is miles ahead of Pouliot.
AK has more dimensions to his game, while Pouliot seemed to lack the physical maturity that his body could handle. If Pouliot could at least work on his athleticism, it would make him look more lively on ice and not look like a train heading for a wall.

Quote:
This is the 2nd NHL team that has given up on him.
2nd season on the Habs, where he was given the opportunity to play top 6 and succeeded. Then you have him play with Gomez of this past season, with whom every other players this season failed to perform with, and so I think he will get the benefit of doubt from me.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
FORWARDS
Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m)
Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Sean Bergenheim ($1.600m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.450m) / Ryan White ($0.750m)
/ Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)
like it. that's a good forward depth

Old
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
But ubless you actually have knowledge of a trade offer that someone made for Pouliot and PG turned down, this is meaningless.
I sincerely doubt that anybody was stupid enough to trade for Pouliot. We probably tried to move him for extra picks at the draft, but no dice.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Yeah must be it.

AK has more dimensions to his game, while Pouliot seemed to lack the physical maturity that his body could handle. If Pouliot could at least work on his athleticism, it would make him look more lively on ice and not look like a train heading for a wall.

2nd season on the Habs, where he was given the opportunity to play top 6 and succeeded. Then you have him play with Gomez of this past season, with whom every other players this season failed to perform with, and so I think he will get the benefit of doubt from me.
Pacioretty played pretty damn well with Gomez.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

So the Habs are basically saying that Pouliot is a 100% worthless? That's it's it? There's nothing in his work that can be improved?

Old
06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
Well that's just a guess on your part but why wouldn't anyone trade for him before hand? St. Louis is well under the cap floor right now so they could afford him they felt he was worth it.

It's not like he'd win an insane amount of money in arbitration. He's had 1 20 goal season and 1, relatively successful, full season in the NHL.
Arbritation can be a crazy thing. Lots of players have got overpaid after only one or two good years.

And yeah, it's a guess on my part because it's headscratchingly numb if it's not.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
ludger

White is not a NHl regular, too small to play the style he plays and no offensive skills, mark my worsd after 40 games he will be back in the minors

Old
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
So the Habs are basically saying that Pouliot is a 100% worthless? That's it's it? There's nothing in his work that can be improved?
Or maybe they realize they have very limited roster space up front, have guys like Eller and DD ahead of him in the depth chart, and rather want to keep space for a top 6 player and better role players?

Old
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
They likely think he has a fundamental flaw in his game, maybe they think he's just got piss poor hockey sense and it won't be improved.

The lack of any trade for a clearly available Pouliot suggests other team's may not be beating at his door. I guess we'll see what happens with him. I think he could latch on as a lower line scoring winger in VERY sheltered situations but not much more.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I can understand some people getting upset over cases like SK, I was one of them. But not Pouliot.

Old
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Exactly...Pyatt is so useless. We need a guy that brings more grit to the table in that kind of a role. I'm quite pleased he was not offered a new deal.
So much idle theory on this board. Here is FACT:

GM Pierre Gauthier has just finished the job of unilaterally dismantling the most effective third line we had in 15 years, a line that helped win series against Washington and Pittsburgh: Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt.

I hope for the club's sake that we have equal or better two-players with as high a responsibility ratio ready to step in.

Old
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
That is a scary thought, because Pouliot was one of the most useless players in the entire league.
Your just saying that because you've been following the Habs and not the Habs and the Oilers like me. There are some truly terrible players out there that couldn't carry Pouliot's jock.

Pouliot had demonstrated a talent for even strength scoring with the Habs and produced well with the minutes he got. His failings are in the obscene amount of penalties he takes and his defensive deficencies. But at least he has the ability to make a positive impact towards winning a game when contributes to goals for while playing on the 3rd and 4th line. The truly useless players can't do that.

Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Tyler Kennedy not qualify now that's something

Old
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Patrice Brisebois was also your best player, you were the personal defendant of Pyatt and think Belanger is a better option than Gomez for the 2nd line...
So, obviously, I don't expect you to care for my opinion
Actually, let's go over this.

* Brisebois was my favourite player, I did not think he was the best player.

* Yes, I agree. Pyatt also had some other defenders. I respect defensive hockey where a guy gives it his all - for minimum wage. I also said we are deep this year and letting him go isn't that big of a deal. He's a great #13 forward, IMO, but it's not the end of the world.

* I don't think Belanger is a better option than Gomez. I think getting Gomez's contract off the books is a better option than having to settle for a Belanger if we strike out everywhere else.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Arbritation can be a crazy thing. Lots of players have got overpaid after only one or two good years.

And yeah, it's a guess on my part because it's headscratchingly numb if it's not.
Example? I think it's generally pretty fair, I can't even think of 1 ridiculous example like that.

At the VERY least though, you have the option to walk away after an arbitration ruling. If you're St. Louis, why not try your luck in arbitration and if he does get too much simply walk away like Buffalo did with JP Dumont.

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Look no further than Niemi getting almost 4 million in arbitration last season.

Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Pacioretty played pretty damn well with Gomez.
And if Pacioretty loses his touch with Gomez next season, are we going to bash him too? Pouliot was at the same position as Patches last off-season. We saw him as someone that fits in our top 6. Things changed fast in a year, and some fans change fast too. Same thing with SK. After his first season with us, people slotted him for 70-80 points and then became his worst enemy in less than 2 seasons. It was hard for me to see when I still liked him "on the ice".

Old
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Look no further than Niemi getting almost 4 million in arbitration last season.
And look no further then Chicago being free to walk away from that decision. If you're St. Louis, why not at least take your chances rather than just giving up?

Closed Thread