HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All Stamkos News - What's going on with Stamkos?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Willie Oree

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
Even if I think Stamkos is the answer the Leafs have been looking for since Sundin left it will still be tough to see the Leafs hand 4 first rounders over to Tampa after they sign Richards to a sweetheart of a deal and not miss a beat, saving themselves millions of dollars, remaining in contention, and enjoying an extra 1st round pick anywhere between 10-20 for four years straight.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... You can draft 10 times is in the top 10 and still not get a player at the magnitude of Stamkos. His type are very hard to come by especially in the 10-20 range. I would do it there are other ways to get picks...

Old
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Mancunian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again... You can draft 10 times is in the top 10 and still not get a player at the magnitude of Stamkos. His type are very hard to come by especially in the 10-20 range. I would do it there are other ways to get picks...
You may be right, and I still believe that whatever it takes to get Stamkos is perfectly fine with me. It doesn't make it any less tough to swallow the Lightning picking 8 times in the 1st round in 4 years without taking a step back because of the huge hometown discount it seems like Brad Richards is willing to take.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
You may be right, and I still believe that whatever it takes to get Stamkos is perfectly fine with me. It doesn't make it any less tough to swallow the Lightning picking 8 times in the 1st round in 4 years without taking a step back because of the huge hometown discount it seems like Brad Richards is willing to take.
So be it. If they are lucky enough to get Brad signed to a retirement deal with no goalies signed and a glut of older players then that's there good fortune we can't control that. Stamkos is worth 4 picks no matter how you slice it

Old
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

No matter how you sell this, it's a tough sell to go 6 straight years without your own 1st round pick. I'm not convinced he is worth 4 1st round picks. He plays great with T.B, we don't have a play maker on this team like he does there.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
If only deals like this are that simple and cut and dry... If that were that simple Stammer would've been signed ages ago!

Think about it, Brad Richards is the most sought after FA out there. People are saying he could get 7yrs 8M annually. What do you think teams would throw at Stamkos? You think Meehan and Guy are dumb? there is more money than what Tampa can realistically offer on the open market for SURE and they won't do a deal before July 1st. Chances are TBay will match any offer though
I never said it was simple, that is the pattern that we see with every top level potential RFA every year short of the Crosby types who get close to the maximum and be done with it.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

The problem with entertaining the hypothetical is that people will be too caught up in group think, and will start ACTUALLY believing that Stamkos will be a Leaf.

There is a 0.00000000001% chance he's going to be a Leaf next year.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I never said it was simple, that is the pattern that we see with every top level potential RFA every year short of the Crosby types who get close to the maximum and be done with it.
I'm not so sure about that. This years FA crop is weak nobody wants to leave money on the table.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
GrizzLeaf

Those who think Burke wont offer sheet an RFA are a little confused about the past.

Burke is on record as saying (more than once) that he's not against offer sheets at all. His issue with Lowe tendering an offer sheet to Penner was because of the amount used. He said it was an way over-inflated offer and that it would cause inflation in similar player's salaries. He used the example of a similar player going to arbitration and the arbitrator awarding big money, using Penner's contract as an example.

Burke would offer sheet in a heartbeat for the right player. I believe he also mentioned common courtesy dictates that he would talk to the GM first and give him a heads up about an offer sheet.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
ANY GM that doesnt offer stamkos an offer that has cap room and is looking for a marquis player should be fired
make tampa pay ....they been living off other teams revenue sharing for years ...pay him yzerman or trade //////

Old
06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
BudForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
Those who think Burke wont offer sheet an RFA are a little confused about the past.

Burke is on record as saying (more than once) that he's not against offer sheets at all. His issue with Lowe tendering an offer sheet to Penner was because of the amount used. He said it was an way over-inflated offer and that it would cause inflation in similar player's salaries. He used the example of a similar player going to arbitration and the arbitrator awarding big money, using Penner's contract as an example.

Burke would offer sheet in a heartbeat for the right player. I believe he also mentioned common courtesy dictates that he would talk to the GM first and give him a heads up about an offer sheet.
This. This. This.

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp.
So many keep insisting that Burke is against offer sheets because of the Lowe incident.
People....he's not against offer sheets.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Suntouchable13

I want to see Burke offer sheet him just to see the **** storm it will generate on the main board

Old
06-27-2011, 04:07 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
The problem with entertaining the hypothetical is that people will be too caught up in group think, and will start ACTUALLY believing that Stamkos will be a Leaf.

There is a 0.00000000001% chance he's going to be a Leaf next year.
How did you come to this number?

Old
06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Willie Oree

Quote:

Gold Star!

Old
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Burke should offer sheet him, no doubt.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Autologic
@Dropinlogic

Can't we trade Kessel, 2 1sts and a 2nd for Stamkos. Thats pretty much like four 1sts and two 2nds right...

Old
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Heh. I feel bad for the Lightning fans. I'm sure Stamkos will sign but they'll have to endure a few more days of really bad trade proposals and speculation.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
100angryvikings

Look, I know the popular line to tow around here is that Stamkos will be signed, and youre dreaming if you think Yzerman will let him go, etc. etc.

However, do people realize that July 1st is a mere 4 days away??? Its getting real close to crunch time here, and since Stamkos isnt in arbitration any team WILL be able to take a run at him in just 4 days.

Im not saying the Leafs will get him, but the possibility of him getting a massive offersheet is becoming very real.....just food for thought.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Probably smarter then you bud.
If then was better than than then then would be than.
But it's not.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
If then was better than than then then would be than.
But it's not.
Oh no, misused word

Old
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autologic View Post
Can't we trade Kessel, 2 1sts and a 2nd for Stamkos. Thats pretty much like four 1sts and two 2nds right...
Actually, I don't think it's far off. I posted this the other day, but a bunch of threads were merged and it got lost in the shuffle.

In most cases, as far as I can tell, most GM's aren't going to want the four firsts. The average shelf-life of a GM is what? 6-7 years? So, basically, you're looking at a situation where the first of those picks likely won't make an impact on the team for at least another 2-3 years. Some players develop faster than others, but I'm going by the average that I've noticed. So that means the fourth of those picks will be ready in what? 6-7 years? This is assuming that these prospects even pan out after development. St. Louis will be long gone, Lecavalier will be in the twilight of his career and Yzerman may not even be in the organization.

So what about using Kessel as the centerpiece? Threaten to go the route of the offer sheet, doing so if necessary to put the Lightning in a bind, and then work out a trade ala the Chris Gratton offer sheet. Kessel is still worth at least two firsts, if not three. Package him, Colborne and something else and it's plausible. Yes, you've downgraded your RW position, but you've solidified your center position for the next 15 years without giving away numerous firsts.

That being said, I think Kadri has the potential to be a top-line winger and I wouldn't trade two first-liners, in essence, for one really good first-liner.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Actually, I don't think it's far off. I posted this the other day, but a bunch of threads were merged and it got lost in the shuffle.

In most cases, as far as I can tell, most GM's aren't going to want the four firsts. The average shelf-life of a GM is what? 6-7 years? So, basically, you're looking at a situation where the first of those picks likely won't make an impact on the team for at least another 2-3 years. Some players develop faster than others, but I'm going by the average that I've noticed. So that means the fourth of those picks will be ready in what? 6-7 years? This is assuming that these prospects even pan out after development. St. Louis will be long gone, Lecavalier will be in the twilight of his career and Yzerman may not even be in the organization.

So what about using Kessel as the centerpiece? Threaten to go the route of the offer sheet, doing so if necessary to put the Lightning in a bind, and then work out a trade ala the Chris Gratton offer sheet. Kessel is still worth at least two firsts, if not three. Package him, Colborne and something else and it's plausible. Yes, you've downgraded your RW position, but you've solidified your center position for the next 15 years without giving away numerous firsts.

That being said, I think Kadri has the potential to be a top-line winger and I wouldn't trade two first-liners, in essence, for one really good first-liner.
What universe do you live in where Kessel is worth three 1st rounders? Jeff Carter has scored more goals than him in every single season and plays center which is a more valuable asset to a team. He fetched one 1st rounder, a mediorce young player, and a 3rd rounder.

Kessel and Colborne gets you nowhere near the best goal scorer over the last two seasons.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
What universe do you live in where Kessel is worth three 1st rounders? Jeff Carter has scored more goals than him in every single season and plays center which is a more valuable asset to a team. He fetched one 1st rounder, a mediorce young player, and a 3rd rounder.

Kessel and Colborne gets you nowhere near the best goal scorer over the last two seasons.
And Jeff Carter rarely ever plays centre.

If the Lightning were in a position where they had to trade Stamkos then Kessel would fit in with that team very well.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

very well said, excellent.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
And Jeff Carter rarely ever plays centre.

If the Lightning were in a position where they had to trade Stamkos then Kessel would fit in with that team very well.
Just saying the only unlikely scenario I see that happening is if for some reason he in unhappy in TB. If it comes down to years or dollars, Stevie Y is signing him to whatever he wants and not trading him for a good first line winger and a decent prospect.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Just saying the only unlikely scenario I see that happening is if for some reason he in unhappy in TB. If it comes down to years or dollars, Stevie Y is signing him to whatever he wants and not trading him for a good first line winger and a decent prospect.
I think that there is a ceiling for Stamkos, he isn't going to get more than Crosby for sure. A contract like this one is management's call so having Yzerman as the GM has no real effect.

Closed Thread