HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pyatt, Pouliot, Picard, Boyd, and Dawes NOT tendered qualifying offer

Old
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Now our 13th-14th forward will either be a tough player or a kid from Hamilton like Fortier, palushaj or Conboy.
Looks like Darche is the 13th forward. I'd bet the team carries 13F, 8D.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
E = CH²

Damn, if 3-4 years ago I had told you that

Latendresse+Higgins+McDonagh

would devolve into

Gomez

Allowing the rangers to sign Gaborik (and possibly Richards) while getting McDonagh...

People would have told me I'm crazy. But now that Gainey did it, it's all understandable, even possibly logical.

Good job Bob! Holy crap can't even begin to describe the amount of fail in this. And it's not like it's ****ing hindsight. It was horrible from day one, and has only gotten worse.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Tommy Pyatt was a great player in his role. Great defensively, speedy and cheap. People are funny to hate on him (people like to hate on everything=habs fans). I hope for him that he signs in Phoenix and enjoy some great time with his brother.

I wish him all the best.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I couldn't care less about Pyatt. He's a good defensive player, but he's a forward and he's supposed to score as well, which he didn't. He also wasn't very physical, didn't drop the gloves, etc. We could use better players on our bottom pairings.

As for Poulio, I'll miss him. Even tho he clearly has mental issues, I loved what he did for us in his first couple games. He was clutch! I wish we could at least have something in return, but I'm pretty sure PG tried to move him as much as he could.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Drive425

Even if Pyatt turned out to be a 50pt player it wouldn't have justified the Gomez trade. That said though, garbage in/garbage out. Posters complain when nothing is done and Posters complain when something is done. You're not going to make everyone happy all the time so don't try PG. Dump spacegoat and I'm happy overall with the direction of the team.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Love the idea that losing a throw-in that became a fringe NHL player now makes the Gomez trade bad. It was a pleasant surprise that Pyatt played at the NHL level at all for us..
is anyone really saying that losing pyatt makes the gomez trade bad? all i've seen is people pointing out how silly it was for the camp of posters who tried to sell the gomez trade as good, to argue that getting Pyatt was part of what made it good.

Quote:
Yes, that trade was disappointing but it was made to give us a first line centre. Does anyone still think Gomez is a first line centre? No, but regardless, that was the intention...
and the path to hell is paved with idiotic intentions like that one

Quote:
Now that Pyatt is perhaps on his way out it doesn't mean the trade was bad. The trade was bad because Gomez isn't a number one centre. .
trade was bad b/c
- Gomez was not a number 1 centre AND was not better than the incumbent we had, who would've cost 1/2

- we traded away the best asset (McDo), and in return got the worst contract, AND gave up the best additional asset (Higgins).

- in a cap era, you don't add a 7M$ player unless you are SURE that he can contribute as a top player in your roster... Gomez's time in NY made it abundantly clear he could not live up to that but our brain thrust thought they could prove everyone else wrong.

Quote:
Also, getting 2 years of service out of guy like Pyatt is worth something. Probably about what Higgins was worth to NY. Busto's value is probably close to Valentenko's. .
I like Pyatt, and I like the contributions/role he's had with us since coming over. but as so many have pointed out (and the habs apparently feel), he's easily replaceable and not even worth qualifying...

that makes him a zero as far as balancing out the trade, higgins -as bad as he was- was used by Sather in another trade which gave his club better assets than they gave up. Pyatt is being cut loose for nothing... Higgins has always had far more value than Pyatt, trying to compare the two is silly.

likewise, comparing Valentenko to Busto is a massive stretch. Valentenko had a great year in the AHL, drawing generous comparisons to a young Volchenkov, and is giving every indication of developping into the NHLer we hoped he could become, he'll likely get a good look this year, and within 1-2 seasons will be playing a regular role with an NHL team.

Busto can't even crack the AHL...

not even remotely close.

Quote:
So it's really just become McDonagh for Gomez. Tough one. But probably a chance a lot of GMs with cap space might have made with Gomez only a year removed from a 70pt season.

not a GM in his right mind that would give up his #1 prospect for a player who had massively underperformed for 2 consecutive seasons... at least not one who understands the impact of a cap on managing a roster.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Forsead

I find this kind of a loss for Pouliot, because the guy had offensive talent and he kind of had of an okay season considering his ice time and linemates, but I would think that the loss of him and Pyatt will make the organization having the place to sign bigger more physical or gritty guys on the bottom 6.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Cole/Upshall/Gagne/Laich
White-Konopka-Moen
Darche

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
I guess he received an offer.

Awesome news for Pyatt ! A player like him doesn't belong in the NHL. The Canadiens will have a much better bottom 6 without him !
Maybe, but only if they bring in new players. The ones who played last year when Pyatt sat in the press box "helped" the team to a record that was WELL under .500 hockey while the team played about .700 hockey when Pyatt was in the lineup instead of inferior, mistake-prone players.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
not a GM in his right mind that would give up his #1 prospect for a player who had massively underperformed for 2 consecutive seasons... at least not one who understands the impact of a cap on managing a roster.
Yet we almost did! Apparently, P.K. Subban was part of the reported deal to get Vinny Lecavalier, but praise the Price, the Lightning owners could not agree and the deal never happened.

Now McDonagh was not our #1 prospect, and Gomez had a 70 point season followed by 58 points in 77 games. Both times second or tied for first in scoring on his team.

"Massively underperformed"??

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Darth Joker

I'm much more bothered by letting Pouliot go than by letting Pyatt go.

Pouliot put up very nice, solid numbers for a 3rd liner averaging 11 and a half minutes a game.

Granted that this is far short of what Minny or ourselves had hoped to get from him, but good 3rd liners are still good 3rd liners, and it's not like Pouliot had a huge cap hit or anything...

It also means that we gave Lats away for nothing.

Horrible asset management here, imo.

As for Pyatt, he's a borderline NHLer. He does have good qualities, but he's not particularly physical, and his offense is virtually non-existent. There's not many NHL forwards that are both not big bangers, or at least somewhat productive offensively.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:54 PM
la25ecoupe

i think they are calling greg steward back

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
I'll miss Pouliot; the only player i know who could fall 5 times on a shift and just get back up 4 times. Maybe he'll find a team that needs a player to clean the ice. And i wont miss his glaring mental errors or bad penalties...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Damn, if 3-4 years ago I had told you that

Latendresse+Higgins+McDonagh

would devolve into

Gomez

Allowing the rangers to sign Gaborik (and possibly Richards) while getting McDonagh...

People would have told me I'm crazy. But now that Gainey did it, it's all understandable, even possibly logical.

Good job Bob! Holy crap can't even begin to describe the amount of fail in this. And it's not like it's ****ing hindsight. It was horrible from day one, and has only gotten worse.

exactly...

hindsight has nothing to do with it. This team has been shooting itself in the foot for years now.

asset management is the name of the game, and our management team apparently doesn't know how to read

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Habs Fan In Ottawa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I find this kind of a loss for Pouliot, because the guy had offensive talent and he kind of had of an okay season considering his ice time and linemates, but I would think that the loss of him and Pyatt will make the organization having the place to sign bigger more physical or gritty guys on the bottom 6.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Cole/Upshall/Gagne/Laich
White-Konopka-Moen
Darche
No thanks to a 3rd line winger that will ask for more than 3.5m+

Habs Fan In Ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan In Ottawa View Post
No thanks to a 3rd line winger that will ask for more than 3.5m+
lol look at the names I've put you can put them in the first line if you want anyway this would be 3 scoring line.

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why this hype about his defensive skills and JM's affection for him? How many first, second, or third stars did Pyatt amass in his two seasons with the Habs? How many Selke nominations did he receive? Let's see whether another NHL team signs him (that is, to play at the NHL level). I predict there won't be any. I can't recall seeing Tom Pyatt clones on the SC finalists. The Habs will try to replace him with someone who knows how to use his stick in the offensive zone without getting swatted away like a fly.

Yes, that's clearly how to evaluate a player. If you think that some Habs fans are so "deluded" to think he's a first rate player, than I think you should take a seat and realize what is it you're saying. No, nobody, even his fans, think he's an all-star, a top 2 player with his current plays. But to deny his contribution shows a lack of seeing ones assets. Most fans think that the only important thing are points. Sure, the amount of goals you score decide the game. But if all your game end in 8-6 scores in the NHL. Well, then maybe you're lacking some defense. Pyatts strengths is his defensive play, his speed and reading what's happening on the ice. Which is more defensive skills than most of our offensive players. Pyatt plays the 4th line, has a contract that is very small on the cap space and works hard. How do you not want to resign an excellent defensive kid that plays on a shutdown 4th line, for very cheap? This kid is still young too. He may develop his offensive skills over time. But even if he doesn't, big whoop, he's still has some good assets. Was he worth the trade, probably not, is he a top 2 linesmen, nope, but he does have some great qualities and he's dirt cheap.

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Cupmonger

I thought Dawes and Boyd left for Kazakhstan? Pouliot could have been re-signed for not soo much either I think. I won't shed a tear for letting any of them go. But still, prospect management...

Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bob Cole

letting pouliot go is a big mistake

par for the course for this organization

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I hope this means more truculence in the 10th to 14th forwards. As much as Pyatt was good at what he does, he was too one dimensional, simply didn't bring a physical of offensive game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Krnage

im wonder if Pouliot sign with another NHL team or heading to Europe ?

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Who'll miss them?

If those guy wanted a QO they could have try to earn one

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:10 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Could we replace Pouliot with Bernier?

As far as being an underachiever, I think he could fill the role perfectly well

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Goodbye Poo-man

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I thought Dawes and Boyd left for Kazakhstan? Pouliot could have been re-signed for not soo much either I think. I won't shed a tear for letting any of them go. But still, prospect management...
They did, but if PG would of qualified them they would of stayed Habs property, now they are UFA.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
letting pouliot go is a big mistake

par for the course for this organization

A big mistake based on what? This is second organization he's played for and both times he has not lived up to expectations

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote