Calgary Flames Round 4 Pick #104 John Gaudreau

Old
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Steven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
5'6"

I'm taller than him and I'm 15. Why are we drafting so small this year.
It's not that we're drafting small, it's that Feaster put emphasis on skill. Sometimes skilled players get passed on because they're small, but evidently Feaster didn't care. I like what we did today, a lot. Between Bartschi, Granlund, and Gaudreau, we picked up a lot of high-end potential. We already have enough Chuckos and Boumas.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
It's not that we're drafting small, it's that Feaster put emphasis on skill. Sometimes skilled players get passed on because they're small, but evidently Feaster didn't care. I like what we did today, a lot. Between Bartschi, Granlund, and Gaudreau, we picked up a lot of high-end potential. We already have enough Chuckos and Boumas.
Well said. It has been a common complaint around Flames fans the for last few years that management always played the safe route and drafted size and grit instead of skill and finesse. Now, that they finally got their wish and Flames draft skill and finesse, people start complaining about size.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:14 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Dont mind drafting small.. A lot if skill is what this organization needs.. And according to twitter when he spoke to flames PR he is 5'8 now

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Not at all happy with this pick. 30-40 pounds needed is a huge loss in speed. If you wanted to take a chance on a guy with skill and limited size both St. Croix and McColgan were available. I want to be positive but there is a good chance this guy doesn't ever play professional hockey. (I believe he is enrolled into university for next year)

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Dont mind drafting small.. A lot if skill is what this organization needs.. And according to twitter when he spoke to flames PR he is 5'8 now
His college listed him at 5' 8" 150. Which was extremely generous. According to nhl scouting he is 5'6" 137.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
jigsaw99

holy shi_!!!!

Its amazing looking at his numbers though. I'm pretty sure he lied about his age and haven't hit puberty yet. This kid will be good.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
His college listed him at 5' 8" 150. Which was extremely generous. According to nhl scouting he is 5'6" 137.
When he was on the Fan960 earlier he said that from the beginning of the season, and that he's 5'8" now. Probably a bit of s stretch, but it's entirely believable that he's grown since he was last measured. And maybe he'll just be a late bloomer physically? I mean, he's only 17 years old, he could still hit a growth spurt and put on 20-30 pounds like that.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post

holy shi_!!!!

Its amazing looking at his numbers though. I'm pretty sure he lied about his age and haven't hit puberty yet. This kid will be good.
Exactly. He still looks really young. IMO he's going to get bigger still, count on it.

Also, as a side note, Paul Byron was only 135lbs when he was drafted, and he's already at 170lbs.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Man he'll really fill out once puberty hits.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...e_of_the_year/

Hmm USHL rookie of the year, but this guy is as short as 5'6. I wonder how he compared to Grimaldi. Very interesting pick here.

Hes got mid 1st rounder offensive skill!!! I love how we're drafting skill now at least
Nice pick! Rookie of the year and he is that small.... wonder what he could do once he bulks up a bit. I am liking these high risk high reward SKILLED picks. A refershing change from muckers, sons of former players etc.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:54 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Well said. It has been a common complaint around Flames fans the for last few years that management always played the safe route and drafted size and grit instead of skill and finesse. Now, that they finally got their wish and Flames draft skill and finesse, people start complaining about size.
Totally.... quite annoying...

Old
06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
berto14

Am I the only one who remembers the Flames drafting a 5'6 kid in the late rounds of the 1987 draft? I'm not saying this kid is the next Fleury but we, of all people, should know better than to judge a player on size alone.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the Flames drafting a 5'6 kid in the late rounds of the 1987 draft? I'm not saying this kid is the next Fleury but we, of all people, should know better than to judge a player on size alone.
No kidding. Not every undersized player is going to be Theoren Fleury or Martin St Louis, players that Calgary has a history with; one good, one a missed opportunity. We should be the last fans in the league to complain about small skilled forwards, since our team's history has included arguably the two best of that crew.

You don't expect huge stars from the fourth round as it is... no harm in low risk, ANY reward, especially if the kid appears to have high upside.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:17 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
Yup. Let the kid develop, he might end up taller than he is now which would be great. One will never find greatness and success in life without never taking some big risks.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Not at all happy with this pick. 30-40 pounds needed is a huge loss in speed. If you wanted to take a chance on a guy with skill and limited size both St. Croix and McColgan were available. I want to be positive but there is a good chance this guy doesn't ever play professional hockey. (I believe he is enrolled into university for next year)
Adding weight doesn't necessarily result in massive loss of speed; it's not like the dude would just be packing on fat or upper body mass.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Nightfx

Quote:
He's going to be ~170-180 pounds not 220+, adding muscle will make him stronger and more explosive. He won't lose any speed at all... let alone have a huge loss of speed by adding just 30 lbs of muscle.

Nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
SkinsFan09

There's rumors he is in fact going to Northeastern this year but I don't know.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

If all you're looking for is size and grit you might as well be Darryl Sutter.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
If all you're looking for is size and grit you might as well be Darryl Sutter.
I'm looking for size and talent. Its harder for smaller players to survive in the NHL unless they have tons of skill (St.Louis).

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

His skills are comparable to mid 1st rounders, I think it's fine.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
His skills are comparable to mid 1st rounders, I think it's fine.
I have not yet read a scouting report saying this. If you don't mind me asking where did you hear this?

I don't mind size not being a huge factor in our scouting but 5'6" is just too small. I have no problem with the Bartschi or Granlund pick due to size.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
I have not yet read a scouting report saying this. If you don't mind me asking where did you hear this?

I don't mind size not being a huge factor in our scouting but 5'6" is just too small. I have no problem with the Bartschi or Granlund pick due to size.
His coach for one has said such, Actually stating he is one of the most talented Americans he' has seen in the last decade.

This is coming from a former NHL player.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
His coach for one has said such, Actually stating he is one of the most talented Americans he' has seen in the last decade.

I heard Feaster make reference to this point today, also heard a comment that his former coach said he was the most skilled American player in the entire draft. I actually really like the pick.

IMO, you take you sure fire picks in the first 2 rounds. Grab your skilled guys with size that are likely to be NHL'ers. In rounds 4-7, thats where I want to see risks taken. Take guys that could be late bloomers, or over looked for reasons like lack of size, or lack of experience, but guys who have a ton of talent. Thats the way our scouting is going to improve and thats exactly what we did in this draft. Kudos to our scouting staff and Feaster, they should be applauded. I like the job Sutter and Co. in the last 3 drafts, but to me this was a huge step forward for the Flames for so many reasons.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

That makes me feel a little better

Old
06-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
, but to me this was a huge step forward for the Flames for so many reasons.
Yes, good bye to the Pelechs and Chuckos....

wonder about Brent though...he is not so used to these speedy midgets with skills.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote