HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What happens if a team gets stuck over the Cap?

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2005, 01:28 PM
flyercide

vCash: 500
What happens if a team gets stuck over the Cap?

Just curious... what happens? Knowing how the NHL gms/owners have managed $$ in the past its quite possible to see this happening...

Old
09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercide
Just curious... what happens? Knowing how the NHL gms/owners have managed $$ in the past its quite possible to see this happening...

I would say that they would get rid of the guy who is the worst at their position. If you need to get rid of two players, you might look at the position you have the most depth in and go from there. Just an idea.

Old
09-03-2005, 04:49 PM
MojoJojo

Actually I have heard that if they exceed the cap and the grace period to get back under the cap they will not be allowed to ice a team. Presumably this means they will start forfeiting games.

Old
09-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Steve L*

I thought the transaction that puts them over the cap becomes void.

Old
09-03-2005, 07:06 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I thought the transaction that puts them over the cap becomes void.
Its not always that simple, for example in the case of injury replacements. Say Forsberg gets a concussion and we go out and trade for a replacement (hypothetically Jeremy Roenick). Forsberg is out for a month, and is then able to play. Coming off the IR, we then have three days (I believe) to unload JR's contract. If we dont, we simply will not be allowed to return to the ice until we do, possibly forfeiting games.

Old
09-03-2005, 09:23 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Its not always that simple, for example in the case of injury replacements. Say Forsberg gets a concussion and we go out and trade for a replacement (hypothetically Jeremy Roenick). Forsberg is out for a month, and is then able to play. Coming off the IR, we then have three days (I believe) to unload JR's contract. If we dont, we simply will not be allowed to return to the ice until we do, possibly forfeiting games.
In this hypothetical situation I don't think the Flyers would be able to take Forsberg off IR unless they had the cap room to do so meaning the replacement player or someone else would have to be moved before they were allowed to take Forsberg off IR.

Like with the Devils and Elias. He'll be injured for awhile but before the Devils will be able to take him off IR they will have to clear the cap space for his contract. So you could conceviably have a situation where Elias is ready to play but they can't activate him until they can get the trades through to reduce their payroll.

To me, the point of getting the cap relief with the injured player and being allowed to get a replacement for them is something for teams to use when say Forsberg (since you used him in the hypothetical situation) tears an ACL in December and is out for the season. It's not really for teams to use when the player gets a minor injury and is going to be out for 2 months. If Forsberg goes down for two months and the Flyers trade for someone because they have the replacement salary available, then 2 months down the road they're going to have to either move the player they got as the replacement for Forsberg or a group of players making as much as the replacement makes.

Old
09-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Id say the transaction putting them over the cap is getting Forsberg off IR so they wont be allowed to do that.

Ive seen most article say they last transaction is voided but Ive also seen people say on HF that games will be forfeited.

Closed Thread