HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Panthers Draft summary

Old
06-26-2011, 08:49 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Thanks for the link, jol. Everyone should read the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8027

Having said that....

No more religion talk in this thread please.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 06-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.
angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I think Rocco will be a fan favorite. He's small, plays his arce off, and people love those things.

06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think Rocco will be a fan favorite. He's small, plays his arce off, and people love those things.
And his favorite player was Pavel Bure ?

Said to be a top-3 offensive talent (with RNH and Huberdeau) that fell to us in the second round ?

I'm already a fan... That shot of talent at the top two rounds in this draft is gold to our team.

Grimaldi has a shot at cracking our top-5 prospects... He won't do it at the beginning of the season, but that speaks volume to our prospect depth-chart right now.

I know it's hard to guarantee that a second-rounder will be an NHL-player... Even more so when that kid is 5'6"... But as I've said if there is ONE very small player to make it big in the NHL in the future, it will be Rocco !!

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Thanks for the link, jol. Everyone should read the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8027

Having said that....

No more religion talk in this thread please.
This kid will be fine, very strong character for many reasons, and his favorite player who he emulates was Pavel. Doesn't get any better. I remember Parise dropping in the draft just because of his size, so for whatever reason he was available, he might be the steal of the draft.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Great report as always MR !

May I add that Wittchow could end up being a real steal in the 6th round, he was highly regarded by lots of hockey people and garnered a lot of talks lately. He is still growing in his body, he has grown two inches each year for the past two...
It's far to early to even pronounce a player like Wittchow a potential steal. He's a late riser in his own league, a league which known of us have ever seen him play in. We are completely in the dark in regards to this pick. It's a watch and brief, any declarations of him being even a potential steal at this point is over the top.

Quote:
Pakarinen, I've heard nothing but good things about him, even as an over-ager which you didn't mentioned here.
Apparently has pretty good Offensive skills, but has yet to translate it to production in the SM-LIGA. Some upside there, but the next year will be incredibly telling on how far he is likely to go. I applaud the scouting staff for really thinking outside the box a little and it's an interesting pick. But again, i expect very little. This isn't like when we took Donskoi, whose talent level and production really warranted a much higher selection than where he went.

Quote:
Kosov has been described by RussianProspects as a good sized disciplined winger with a scoring touch... A surprise pick. Took a lot of people by surprise, and could surprise with the huge body and the suspected good hands. Don't expect a lot of that 5th rounder, but remember the name you never know.
Baffling pick. I don't know him (And i tend to have a keen interest on Russian prospects). I can't criticize the pick because i know nothing of him. But mid level Russian prospects are really players you shouldn't be investing in. Players like Kucherov, Marchenko etc are well worth it, because obvious talent levels exist there and they may one day develop into something where it becomes appealing for them to go to North America. Again, i have no insight into his talent, but i hope they figure significant upside is there, otherwise he'll never see the light of day in North America. But again, thinking outside the box is something i like to see. Much rather that than the Toronto style of drafting.

Quote:
Rau is a great great boom-or-bust type of player, and I'm glad we took a chance on him.
Agree, no issue with this. Evaluating talent and projecting it is difficult when you get into the mid rounds, but i applaud risk taking and this fits the bill.

Quote:
I've been hard on Racine in the Draft GDT, just because there isn't that much upside and we could have gotten a much better forward (then selected a defenseman in the 5th instead of the surprise Kosov, Racine could even have been there)... The waste pick of our draft IMO. Maybe Panthers saw something others don't.
Waste of a pick? We're discussing someone drafted less than a day ago. There are picks i dislike and like from all teams, but you can't call them a waste of a pick. People judge drafts (Winners and losers all too soon). It takes 5-6 years before we can properly do that. Calm down. Much better Forward? Guys like Ambroz are falling for a reason and i for one am glad we didn't take him.

Quote:
Logan Shaw will surprise... Still not the best pick, but if the guy could develop another level of speed he could be a real effective player. He is a big body North-South player that has underrated potential because of the terrible team.
Interesting that you write of Racine but happen to like Shaw. What is the difference? I see Shaw as someone with limited Offensive skills but clearly has the skillset to be a physical bottom order player in the NHL if all goes well. Not exactly what i would wish for, but you do need these players. If he makes it to the NHL, it's because he has a work ethic, not because any outstanding talent he possesses. Pretty so-so on this pick.

Quote:
Vince Trochek... Solid pick, not overwhelmed by it as I've said (that's because I add favorites like Catenacci, Prince and others rated higher but I'm no scout) but solid pick... A cerebral scrappy player that doesn't give an inch on the ice and does all the little things well. Not a lot of offensive potential but could emerge with big production in Juniors because of his hockey IQ.
Might have preferred Honzik (Wished Perhonen had lasted). Good value pick at this time though. He's a good OHL player who does some good things with his game. Not going to be a dynamic NHL scoring forward, but i think he has enough of an Offensive game to be effective at the NHL level. I don't get the love for Catenacci, he isn't going to be a high level NHL scoring forward either. Questionable hockey sense and no high end skills outside of skating. Prince is a really wild card, similar to Weal last year. Wouldn't have minded rolling the dice, but i think we may have got an NHL player with this pick and so im not disgruntled at all.

Quote:
Rasmus Bengtsson... Don't know a whole lot more than you... One of J17's favorite gems in the draft. Lots of reports saying he could be one kind of player with a lot of tools. We'll see if he puts it all together in the future.
Best D after Larsson, Klefbom and Brodin of the Swede brigade. Good upside here and really does seem to fit the prototypical Swede who is drafted as somewhat of a sleeper and goes on to have a good NHL career. All the forwards i coveted had basically gone by our pick anyway. Nieto, Chris Gibson and William Karlsson were the 3 guys i'd have liked if we had stayed in our original spot (Kucherov too, but that wasn't happening).

Quote:
Rocco Grimaldi... Top-3 offensive talent in the draft, should have been a top-20 pick IMO. Has the drive and the skills to be a game-breaker at the next level. The best pure goal-scorer in the draft by RLR. Can't be hit cleanly, thanks to an amazing skating stride.
Grimaldi isn't a Top 3 talent in this draft. Because of his size, people tend to over state his talent to compensate and make their point. Grimaldi is very talented and certainly if he were around the 6 ft mark he'd be in the discussion for going Top ten overall. No doubt. He isn't the best Pure goal scorer in this draft either. Boom or bust pick and i like it. If he booms, then we have Two electric top six forwards from this draft, what more can you ask for? Other guys i'd have liked were Jurco, Alex K or Rattie.

Quote:
Jonathan Huberdeau... Don't need to elaborate on him. One thing I found over the internet today, Johnny was 140 to 145 pounds in his rookie year in the Q before his coming out party in the playoffs. He came in next training camp after a disappointing U-18 tournament, he weighted in at 165lbs... And he hasn't stopped impressing since. He is up to 170 now, and even if Bob McKenzie said this kid shouldn't play in the NHL next year (and I do think one year in Junior would be great for his development), I wouldn't be surprised if he came in training well-over RNH's weight and made the NHL before him.
I had wanted Jonathan for about two weeks now. In my mind he has the potential to be an 80 pt dynamic scoring Forward. Never truely understood the slight backlash against him on these board before the draft and i prefered him to SC for awhile now.

Ignore what McKenzie said. He has no idea whether he will actually be NHL ready. You hear this every year from them. The next season is 3-4 months away, which gives Hub and the Panthers ample time to decipher whether he is actually ready. If you listened to what Bob and co say each draft, only 1 or 2 players would make the leap each year. As we know, that isn't the case. Was Skinner NHL ready in their eyes? Seguin? No not really. I ignore their conclusions on who is NHL ready.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Some more on Huberdeau if you're not tired yet!

Panthers take Huberdeau third overall
Huberdeau's year capped off by Panthers pick

And some video:

06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
cheerupmurray

Rasmus Bengtsson is a favorite of mine. He has a lot of tools, good hockey sense, size, vision, great hard slapshot, very good hands, very usuable as a pp quarterback, etc. The only thing he lack in really is skating, he got a slow acceleration. In a way he is a project that could turn out to be a twoway beast.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

How many will be suiting up at the BAC(or whatever they may re-name it)>?

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:18 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post34125737

Does Florida have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL now?

I can't think of anyone else with a deeper pool. What we were lacking - elite scoring - we hopefully have with Huberdeau & Grimaldi.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:05 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
It's far to early to even pronounce a player like Wittchow a potential steal. He's a late riser in his own league, a league which known of us have ever seen him play in. We are completely in the dark in regards to this pick. It's a watch and brief, any declarations of him being even a potential steal at this point is over the top.

Apparently has pretty good Offensive skills, but has yet to translate it to production in the SM-LIGA. Some upside there, but the next year will be incredibly telling on how far he is likely to go. I applaud the scouting staff for really thinking outside the box a little and it's an interesting pick. But again, i expect very little. This isn't like when we took Donskoi, whose talent level and production really warranted a much higher selection than where he went.

Baffling pick. I don't know him (And i tend to have a keen interest on Russian prospects). I can't criticize the pick because i know nothing of him. But mid level Russian prospects are really players you shouldn't be investing in. Players like Kucherov, Marchenko etc are well worth it, because obvious talent levels exist there and they may one day develop into something where it becomes appealing for them to go to North America. Again, i have no insight into his talent, but i hope they figure significant upside is there, otherwise he'll never see the light of day in North America. But again, thinking outside the box is something i like to see. Much rather that than the Toronto style of drafting.

Agree, no issue with this. Evaluating talent and projecting it is difficult when you get into the mid rounds, but i applaud risk taking and this fits the bill.

Waste of a pick? We're discussing someone drafted less than a day ago. There are picks i dislike and like from all teams, but you can't call them a waste of a pick. People judge drafts (Winners and losers all too soon). It takes 5-6 years before we can properly do that. Calm down. Much better Forward? Guys like Ambroz are falling for a reason and i for one am glad we didn't take him.

Interesting that you write of Racine but happen to like Shaw. What is the difference? I see Shaw as someone with limited Offensive skills but clearly has the skillset to be a physical bottom order player in the NHL if all goes well. Not exactly what i would wish for, but you do need these players. If he makes it to the NHL, it's because he has a work ethic, not because any outstanding talent he possesses. Pretty so-so on this pick.

Might have preferred Honzik (Wished Perhonen had lasted). Good value pick at this time though. He's a good OHL player who does some good things with his game. Not going to be a dynamic NHL scoring forward, but i think he has enough of an Offensive game to be effective at the NHL level. I don't get the love for Catenacci, he isn't going to be a high level NHL scoring forward either. Questionable hockey sense and no high end skills outside of skating. Prince is a really wild card, similar to Weal last year. Wouldn't have minded rolling the dice, but i think we may have got an NHL player with this pick and so im not disgruntled at all.

Best D after Larsson, Klefbom and Brodin of the Swede brigade. Good upside here and really does seem to fit the prototypical Swede who is drafted as somewhat of a sleeper and goes on to have a good NHL career. All the forwards i coveted had basically gone by our pick anyway. Nieto, Chris Gibson and William Karlsson were the 3 guys i'd have liked if we had stayed in our original spot (Kucherov too, but that wasn't happening).

Grimaldi isn't a Top 3 talent in this draft. Because of his size, people tend to over state his talent to compensate and make their point. Grimaldi is very talented and certainly if he were around the 6 ft mark he'd be in the discussion for going Top ten overall. No doubt. He isn't the best Pure goal scorer in this draft either. Boom or bust pick and i like it. If he booms, then we have Two electric top six forwards from this draft, what more can you ask for? Other guys i'd have liked were Jurco, Alex K or Rattie.

I had wanted Jonathan for about two weeks now. In my mind he has the potential to be an 80 pt dynamic scoring Forward. Never truely understood the slight backlash against him on these board before the draft and i prefered him to SC for awhile now.

Ignore what McKenzie said. He has no idea whether he will actually be NHL ready. You hear this every year from them. The next season is 3-4 months away, which gives Hub and the Panthers ample time to decipher whether he is actually ready. If you listened to what Bob and co say each draft, only 1 or 2 players would make the leap each year. As we know, that isn't the case. Was Skinner NHL ready in their eyes? Seguin? No not really. I ignore their conclusions on who is NHL ready.
I know we are all ratings prospects and we all have our favorites, it is kind of ridiculous to judge the draft right after it. But we can still value our draft without comparing it to the other teams. And as a fan of this team, I approve Luce and Dale strategies the last two days. And as a fan of prospects in general and a follower, I try to review it as good as I can.

Wittchow - As a 6th rounder, for a kid having a huge grow spurth in the last two-years, making as much noise as possible to go in the top-3 or top-4 rounds... To get him in the 6th round while we were looking at skills and forwards before everything, he is a great great value pick. I don't expect anything out of a kid after the top-3 or top-4 rounds so getting a kid like Wittchow could be a steal IMO. Not saying he is one, but as a project I like him. Much more than Racine or Shaw for example.

Pakarinen - He isn't a Donskoi... He is a 7th rounder, but an overager... Which is cool because we'll know pretty quick if this kid has any upside. He should produce next year. If he doesn't ? Move on to next draft and next season, take another gamble like that and never sign Pakarinen. He is a good-sized RW and from Luce's comments, the Panthers were really looking to plug that hole in the system. They took 3 tries with Shaw, Pakarinen and Kosov. We'll see if it's the Finn that pans out !

Kosov - After some extensive search and talks, I got the sense this really could be a surprise pick. The guy at RussianProspects said so too... A big BIG project ! Very interesting to hear Luce's comments about him. He said that at last year's draft, when they were discussing bringing Roman Derlyuk back in NA with their Russian scout, this man said he had another kind of kid like that, very under the radar but could blossom. Panthers kept watching videos during the season and had a lot of great viewings in Russia. Kid came in for an interview with the team (may have been his only one ?), didn't spoke a word of enlish but came away impressing Tallon in the end. Panthers and Dale pulled the trigger in the 5th... Not saying Derlyuk or him will be anything at the NHL-level, but I LOVE the fact we are looking at that kind of kid out of Russia, we are wiling to think outside out of the box and pull the trigger ! That's great news IMO.

Rau - Nice project as I've said... Like his motor, his drive, his character and his skills. Gamble pick without size... The same kind of gamble you could have taken picking Prince or Catenacci. But more surprising. Once again a pleasant pick. I like the connexion with Minny and Bjugstad !

Racine - Yeah I was hard on him... Still disappointed a bit because once again I don't see the upside. But he was a high-pick in the Q draft, he is a physical specimen and a fighter. Don't like the pick because if I was in charge I would always pull the trigger on offensive players in the trade or near to. Didn't came out great in his interview, I think he is not great at english. We should see but I don't expect anything out of this third-rounder and you should see upside in every third-rounders IMO.

Shaw - Not a fan of that pick like Racine... But you can still see a bit of upside ! He is pretty big while still being skinny if you can't believe that at 6'3 nearly 200lbs, he has good hands from in-close. And the kid seems to really have the character... Typical Tallon character pick, but kind of disappointed we had that need to fill with big RWs in our pipe-line !

Trochek - Yeah, I'm hard on the kid because he isn't flashy... But I was high on Couturier so go figure. Trochek was certainly one of the guys I was hoping for us, just a little bit later. May not have the size, but he has everything else for sure and his compete-level is great. I like that he is a cerebral-player... We should see what he can do for an encore next year with his buddy Saad and his fellow Panthers-mate John McFarland !

Bengtsson - Like the pick, but people are hyping him for being the 4th best Swedish defenseman, when it was a big three-horse race there... Still a great pick, a dark-horse, could be Tallon's next Hjalmarsson ! Like what I heard, even if some conflicting reports state his skating is both a strenght and a weakness or his offensive-ceiling as both an upside and a downside. We should see, but the kid looks to have a lot of tools !

Grimaldi - Can't say enough of him... Luedeke and Woodlief (best natural goal-scorer reference ahead of Boucher, Phillips, Puempel, Khokho, Armia... ) both have him as one of the elite offensive talent in the draft. Two friends of mine also hold Rocco in high regards... Everything you hear says this kid is the straw that stirs the drink on every team he has been, that sounds a lot like Marty St-Louis to me... Lot of scouts drool over Rocco skating mechanics and shot, both are elite ! Kid is driven and has impeccable character, Tallon said it too. He is supposed to be the best USNDP player since Patrick Kane... We will see how the kid does but he owns first-line potential. He may never reach that, but he has everything IMO. Khokhlachev would have been the other choice, but even with his mini-size, Rocco was BPA at 33rd IMO.

Huberdeau - Nothing else to say... Don't want to overhype the kid ! Wouldn't be surprise if he came to camp and put on a show to earn his 10 games in the League. I think he should be back and try to improve on everything, even production, then come back the next year and be prepared to make some noise on a dangerous Panhers team.

I'll ignore McKenzie for sure... Those months are a lot of time for Huby to preprare for the upcoming season. Tallon has left the door open, so if he can bring something to the puzzle and responsible play, he'll be there.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
To expand on this further for our other drafted prospects at the Combine:

Huberdeau:
2nd in Anerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index
6th in Anthropometry: Sum of 6 Skinfolds (mm)
6th in Anthropometry: Yuhasz % Body Fat

Grimaldi:
2nd in Anthropometry: Sum of 6 Skinfolds (mm)
2nd in Anthropometry: Yuhasz % Body Fat
5th in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
6th in Musculosketal: 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Avg Jump Height (in)
4th in Musculosketal: Push-ups (max #)
3rd in Musculosketal: Push Strength (lb/lb body weight)

Trocheck:
9th in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/Pause (in)
3rd in Musculosketal: Vertek Vert Jump/No Pause (in)
10th in Musculosketal: Right Hand Grip (lb)
Did anyone see that combine vid of Grimaldi when he does the vertical jump? He's like a little monkey. He jumped like twice his height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post34125737

Does Florida have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL now?

I can't think of anyone else with a deeper pool. What we were lacking - elite scoring - we hopefully have with Huberdeau & Grimaldi.
I don't think there's any doubt. L.A. was our only competition and they traded Schenn and didn't have a 1st.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
ursavolta

vCash: 615
http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2011/6/7...ospect-profile

Here is some info on Bengtsson

and rau (hes number 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pL-bhSR3A8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8ym...eature=related - pretty good determination

some good vids / reports

not sure if anyone has posted this links up.. if you did im sorry (you may delete this post if you need to mods)

interesting pick tho none the less..

Last edited by ursavolta: 06-27-2011 at 01:28 PM.
ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

grats on YuberDuber, was kinda hoping Devils would get him, but oh well!

Watched Huberdeau a lot last year, hoping he stays in junior another year just so my team can win the Mem Cup again ^^, but he will certainly put on a show in training camp.

Last edited by GM17*: 06-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2011/6/7...ospect-profile

Here is some info on Bengtsson

and rau (hes number 7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pL-bhSR3A8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8ym...eature=related - pretty good determination

some good vids / reports

not sure if anyone has posted this links up.. if you did im sorry (you may delete this post if you need to mods)

interesting pick tho none the less..
Thanks for those 2 vids. After watching them, I'm pretty sure Rau is going to have to change his style if he's gonna ever make it to the NHL. Several of the moves he was using isn't going to work at the NHL level I'm sure of it. I'm interested to see how he does in the NCAAs next yr as a true freshman. At this point, I'm not expecting too much in terms of him making an impact in the NHL.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Dean Wormer
Rookie User

Grimaldi

I wanted to find this board to write about Rocco Grimaldi. I have known him and have watched him play hockey since he was 5. My oldest son had the distinct pleasure of playing on his OC Blades roller hockey team with him one season. In short, Florida has come away with the steal of the draft.

All his hockey life, he's had to play up in age because he was just too talented to play with the '93 birth year kids. And when he was a mite (8U), he and his family had to listen to all the parents say "wait til he's a squirt, his size will catch up with him." So as a squirt (10U), he played in a semifinal SCAHA playoff game (SoCal Amateur Hockey Assn). His California Wave vs. the Sylmar Tigers. Sylmar was all '92s and had the "great" (according to his parents) Jonathan Liau on defense. The Tiger parents were convinced their big boys would shut Rocco down. So by the halfway point of the first period, it's 2-1 Wave thanks to Rocco's two goals. Then with about 10 seconds left in the period, Rocco took the puck down the boards and went one-on-one with the great Liau. Liau had lined him up, but Rocco put on the afterburners and just blew by that kid. With 5 seconds left in the period, it was 3-1 Wave. I remember that play as if it were yesterday. Wave won 7-1 and Rocco had a double hat trick.

Later that summer, he went to the Brick Tournament in Edmonton and beat Ryan Strome out for MVP. Small world, isn't it? (My son was playing in another tourney in Edmonton at the time, the Canadian AAA Challenge, and we lost a game 20-0 to the BC Selects, which had Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as their star player.)

So as a squirt, other parents (especially the Sylmar parents) started saying, "Wait til he's a Pee Wee, then there's checking involved and his size will catch up to him." Guess what? It didn't.

He then moved to Detroit to play for the Ilitch family and Little Caesars. Parents there said, "Wait til he's a Bantam, those other boys will have hit puberty and be so much bigger and his size will catch up to him." Rocco's team won the Bantam AAA National Championship and he was named MVP.

So on to Midgets, where those parents said, "He won't be able to hang with those Midget kids, his size will catch up with him." Rocco's team won the Midget Major AAA National Championship and he was named MVP.

So off to the NTDP team and the USHL and you know what those parents said...and you know how that ended.

So here he is, now in the NHL. And if you're a person who thinks this was a bad draft pick because "his size will catch up to him", well, you're in good company because there is a long line of people who have been saying that since he was a squirt.

And as good as he is at ice hockey, you should have seen this kid play roller hockey. He was otherworldly. He went to a NARCh National Championship one year with a team he had never practiced with. He just showed up in Toronto and played. You guessed it - his team won and he was named MVP.

So congratulations to the Florida Panthers organization who had the smarts to say yes while every other team thought that the size would catch up to him. I can't wait to see him hoisting the Cup. I can't wait to see him in his first All-Star game. And I can't wait to see his jersey get retired in 20 years after a long and fruitful career in Miami. Maybe then his size will catch up to him.

DW

Dean Wormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Thanks for the writeup, some great stories for sure. I think Rocco will be a fan favorite for sure.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:00 PM
AaronEkbald

Do you guys think Jurco will end up being a more effective nhl player than grimaldi? I'm just speculating since tallon had the opportunity to draft jurco (rated higher than grimaldi) but passed on him..

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
ursavolta

vCash: 615
thanks for the comments on Grims, Dean.

I am very excited about Rocco, you can hear the confidence in his voice. Going to keep my eyes open when he hits the ice.

Come back whenever you want!! Hopefully one day he will raise the cup with us!

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
GernBlanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
Come back whenever you want!! Hopefully one day he will raise the cup with us!
I'll bring the step-stool!

GernBlanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieMaven View Post
Do you guys think Jurco will end up being a more effective nhl player than grimaldi? I'm just speculating since tallon had the opportunity to draft jurco (rated higher than grimaldi) but passed on him..
No way, Jurco is the safer prospect because of his size but talent-wise Grimaldi blows Jurco out of the water. I think Rocco's gonna make it despite his size. Gerbe is 5'5", Gionta is 5'7", St. Louis is 5'6". If they can have success, I'm confident Grimaldi can too with his work ethic. I compare him a lot to Gerbe, both came out of the USNTDP. Except Grimaldi was more productive there and also played against tougher competition(back when Gerbe was playing there the U-18 team played against NAHL teams instead of USHL teams).

Grimaldi was rated lower but that's only due to his size. I think he's gonna make a lot of teams sorry, I really do. Fabulous numbers in the USNTDP, almost on a Kane level.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Dean Wormer
Rookie User

One more thing...my wife and I went to Ann Arbor last year to visit my daughter who was a Freshman at UM. So the three of us went to the arena to see Rocco's team play Dubuque. After flight delays, we finally got to the rink in time for the 3rd period. It was 1-1 at the time.

In that third period, Rocco was on a penalty kill and went into a corner behind his net along with two Dubuque players. Rocco took possession, skated it end to end, blazing past all the Dubuque skaters and scored a shortie. Minutes later, he converted a power play goal. And with 10 seconds left, he just missed scoring on a wraparound. One period, two goals and one assist, and a 4-2 win.

I bought a friend with me who has lived in Ann Arbor for years, played for Compuware as a kid, and has watched quite a few NTDP games over the years. He couldn't believe how fast Rocco was. He told he he saw Patrick Kane play for the NTDP team and that Rocco was better than him.

I keep thinking of that Emerson, Lake & Palmer song from the Brain Salad Surgery album where Greg Lake is singing, "Come and see the show! Come and see the show! See the shoooooowwwww!" That's what Panther hockey is going to be like in a few years when this kid is playing.

Forget the Heatles. This is the place to be...

DW

Dean Wormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Wormer View Post
One more thing...my wife and I went to Ann Arbor last year to visit my daughter who was a Freshman at UM. So the three of us went to the arena to see Rocco's team play Dubuque. After flight delays, we finally got to the rink in time for the 3rd period. It was 1-1 at the time.

In that third period, Rocco was on a penalty kill and went into a corner behind his net along with two Dubuque players. Rocco took possession, skated it end to end, blazing past all the Dubuque skaters and scored a shortie. Minutes later, he converted a power play goal. And with 10 seconds left, he just missed scoring on a wraparound. One period, two goals and one assist, and a 4-2 win.

I bought a friend with me who has lived in Ann Arbor for years, played for Compuware as a kid, and has watched quite a few NTDP games over the years. He couldn't believe how fast Rocco was. He told he he saw Patrick Kane play for the NTDP team and that Rocco was better than him.

I keep thinking of that Emerson, Lake & Palmer song from the Brain Salad Surgery album where Greg Lake is singing, "Come and see the show! Come and see the show! See the shoooooowwwww!" That's what Panther hockey is going to be like in a few years when this kid is playing.

Forget the Heatles. This is the place to be...

DW
Thanks for the coming by and sharing the nice writeups. He certainly seems like a good kid... hard worker... extremely talented. Like most of us here, I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Panther's sweater in a couple of years.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Awesome write-up ... I cannot wait to see this kid in action

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 861
Thanks DW for signing up to HF Boards to give us this awesome insight and history on Rocco! Much appreciated.
And whenever he ends up on our team and scores his first goal I'm sure I will think of that ELP song!

JP Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks for the writeup, some great stories for sure. I think Rocco will be a fan favorite for sure.
Theoren Fleury with a passion other than drinking and coking ! Heard it here first.

I've been the first to say it also, I thought we could get Grimaldi with 33rd all along and that's why I'm excited about this draft !

I don't care for our other picks ! To pick Huberdeau in the first and Rocco in the second, you can't be anything but happy as a Panthers fan !!