HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez was a good signing...

Old
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Gomez was a good signing...

I don't think at this point in time anyone can or should dispute this but I havn't read anyone talk about the Gomez signing in a while there needs to be some acknowledgement.

For one, We got a skilled center who was indisputable the best center on this team during his tenure here on the Rangers. He may not have been a true #1 center or a PPG player (People tend to forget there's only 10-15 players a year who reach that level [with a 75+ games min]) but he put up 138 points in the two years here and honestly, where else COULD we have spent that money on? Lets face it... We were in a rebuilding year (or decade...) and weren't going to trade picks for players to speed us up and leave our future in shambles. He may have shot it right into the goalie every time he flew down the ice but he also was able to transition the puck which is something we ALL know seems to be the main problem the rangers have at times. Take a look at our roster from 07-09 and tell me that team was going anywhere....

Secondly, Hockey is ALL about assets... With enough assets you can obtain any player you want. ANY PLAYER. Teams are handed assets through the draft, gain more assets through lop-sided trades and the best way - Free agency. We turned nothing into Gaborik who could easily be shopped for a 1st round pick and certainly more and Sather turned Gomez into McD + who was an integral part of our defense last year and I can't imagine how bad we would have been giving Gilroy/MDZ/Eminger a combined 15-20 minutes a night in his place. Let alone the fact that McD looks like he could be the real ****ing deal Sather turned absolutely nothing (ZERO) into an asset that probably has half the teams in the nhl drooling. So he ****ed up with Redden and Drury and again - Who could we have really spent the money on? I hate Redden and although I respect Drury we all know (and knew) he's not anywhere near worth his contract... Sather dropped the ball.

But give this one quick thought. These signings kept the Rangers somewhat competitive and transitioned the Rangers during the rebuilding period into the brightest future the Rangers have had in quite a while. Hockey is a competitive sport... And i'm sure some of you are going to make the case that if we sucked we could have gotten some sick players and been better off but the whole nature of sports says otherwise. You play to win. And you field the best possible team you can. We are NEW YORK FANS. We don't and shouldn't expect loosing. We go out to win in whatever we do and trying to suck is not something I will ever respect.

In addition, he turned nothing into McD (ala Gomez trade) and has this NYR team looking like a real contender.

As an avid fan of the NYR I can't think of a time I thought this team had more promise than I do now. I've never seen a team so hard-working and so much young talent rising through the ranks with the right mentality and the right pedigree to give themselves up for the better of the team.

Blame Sather all you want - And trust me, I wanted him out... - but the simple fact is his signings haven't handicapped the team at all.... Not then, not now.

-And, while you can make the case that the Redden signing is hurting the team - and its a valid one - I believe it was a choice he HAD to make. There was an unbelievable amount of pressure of the Rangers franchise to fix the power play and he saw this as a possible solution0 [in hindsight not the best solution but it's easy for us to say this now] The money wasn't right and the amount of years weren't right but like i've been saying for a while - the Rangers are and were a good PP away from being a top 4 team in the east - and overpaying in freeagency to fix a glaring problem isn't a bad thing since you don't need to give up assets in the process...Yeah - a lot of us said it was a bad signing from the start but those same people also wanted Boyle out and called the trade a waste of a 3rd round pick - How many people still believe that was a waste of a 3rd?

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 06-27-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Horrible signing, as was Drury, as has Redden. They all held back/handicapped the team. If you don't think that then i don't know what to tell you.

Your rationale for the Redden signing is wrong as well. The Rangers were a pp qb from being a top 4 team.

But we needed to resign Jagr, which we didn't and instead replaced him with Naslund.

The team went from a top team to a borderline playoff team and extremely mediocre. Never was i more disappointed in a GM. The reason being, Sather had a VERY good team in his lap and completely broke it up for no reason.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't dislike Gomez at all. He's actually a really nice guy. And he's a very good, and somewhat underrated player. With that said...He was a bad signing that was easier to swallow when Sather dumped him off and fleeced the Habs. The pricetag was flat out rediculous.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
No on the Redden signing. Sure we needed a PP QB but we didnt have to sign an old player on a noticeable decline to that many years/dollars.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
broadwayblue

well, if we didn't sign gomez we could have gotten Gaborik more easily...but we almost assuredly don't end up with McDonagh.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Gomez and Drury were both good players and the kind of guys winning teams have, just not as featured players. That was Sather's mistake. Signing both of them the same year, was the worst part of either of the contracts. How you can tie ~14 or 15 mil per year into two centers that aren't first line centers....beyond me.

I honestly think Sather was looking at tape and stats from Redden's prime when he signed him as if those were his years immediately before free agency. It makes ZERO sense. Top defenseman are barely getting the type of contract redden got TODAY

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
OverTheCap

This thread title is a little misleading, I thought this was something that Sather said recently.

Anyway, the Gomez signing was bad. It was bad on July 1, 2007, and it's still bad today. Canadiens fans want him gone. Some of Gomez's money could have gone towards re-signing Jagr, a far superior player to build around than Gomez. And regardless of Gomez and Drury's contracts or cap hits, the decision to build a team around them as core players, instead of recognizing them as complementary players, was a mistake.

The Redden signing was unjustifiable. The PP needed fixing, but Sather could have signed someone more effective than Redden like Streit for less money.

What it comes down to is that no one was holding a gun to Sather's head and forcing him to make these signings. He did have a choice in the matter, and the decisions he made were bad. There were other options as free agents, or he could have explored the trade market. As a GM, Sather can always walk away from a negotiation if the term or price is getting out of hand. He should have walked away from both the Gomez and Redden negotiations and didn't.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

given how it all turned out? yes, but I would not do it again. we got lucky. that's all there is to it. Sather had the fortune of calling Gainey when he was on a 36 hour crystal meth bender.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
chip chipperson*

i stopped reading when i read that nothing was said about the gomez signing in a while. why cant we move on? good pickup, horrible contract. not his fault, but def wasnt upset when he was traded.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i stopped reading when i read that nothing was said about the gomez signing in a while. why cant we move on? good pickup, horrible contract. not his fault, but def wasnt upset when he was traded.
it's the offseason. people are prone to make these sorts of threads. What don't we have a thread, who was worse? Rich Pilon or Kevin Hatcher? or not...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The Gomez signing certainly worked out well. We got him to play for us for a couple of years, then we got McDonagh, Valentenko and you could say Prust (for Higgins) too.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
MSG the place to be*

Maybe we can trade Gaborik and turn that one into a good signing too.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Maybe we can trade Gaborik and turn that one into a good signing too.
Honestly... too bad we did not get Schenn for him. The team would've been absolutely loaded with ready and near-ready youth. After one year of development in 2011-12, the Rangers would be great the following year. As it stands, who knows if Gabby will even be walking a year or two from now.

In a couple of years:

Centers: Schenn, Stepan, Anisimov, Lindberg
Left Wings: Dubinsky, Kreider, Boyle, Hagelin
Right Wings: Thomas, Callahan, MZA, Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
MDZ - Erixon

The right wing is a little scary because we don't know how Thomas will perform, but the centers look really good.

Other than Lundqvist (who is a goalie and expected to last longer than skaters), the oldest player on the team would be born in 1984. That's a hell of a team that will last for a long, long time both because they are so young and because (again due to age) so few players would be in their UFA contracts.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I spilled something in my room 2 seasons ago. So in a rush, I reached my hand in the back of my closet to find something I didn't care about to clean up the mess, and I pulled out my Gomez Rangers t-shirt... Wiped up the mess, threw the shirt in the trash, and never looked back.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Honestly... too bad we did not get Schenn for him. The team would've been absolutely loaded with ready and near-ready youth. After one year of development in 2011-12, the Rangers would be great the following year. As it stands, who knows if Gabby will even be walking a year or two from now.

In a couple of years:

Centers: Schenn, Stepan, Anisimov, Lindberg
Left Wings: Dubinsky, Kreider, Boyle, Hagelin
Right Wings: Thomas, Callahan, MZA, Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
MDZ - Erixon

The right wing is a little scary because we don't know how Thomas will perform, but the centers look really good.

Other than Lundqvist (who is a goalie and expected to last longer than skaters), the oldest player on the team would be born in 1984. That's a hell of a team that will last for a long, long time both because they are so young and because (again due to age) so few players would be in their UFA contracts.
That lineup is devoid of surefire elite offensive talent, not even above average offensive talent ala the Bruins.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, the only thing i'll remember Gomez for is bringing us McD. I'd like to forget everything else about his tenure here.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:08 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Cant look at things with a closed, short sighted mind.

You trip fall down and bruise a rib. It hurts like hell for a week. You go to get an MRI to make sure it isnt broken. MRI reveals you have a growing cancer cell. Doctors remove it and save your life.

Bruised rib sucked, but something great came out of it.

Gomez contract was awful, yes, but without it we never get McDonagh. And if we never sign Gomez, who knows who that cap space is spent on, maybe they have no trade value and we are still stuck with them now.

Now... the Drury signing, that one is AWFUL. NEVER give out NMC.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 700
I liked Gomez. He was a decent center, but not nearly worth 7 million. Unfortunately I have his jersey to remind me of this contract.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:16 AM
DontStaal

The only good thing that came out of the Gomez signing was McDonagh.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:18 AM
eco's bones

From the perspective of if we hadn't signed Gomez we would not have been able to turn him into other assets it's a good signing.

As a player in his two years here he was quite a bit overpriced. $4.5-$5 mil would have been about right. He did not quite fit into first line center like his contract demanded. Neither did Drury. He could never really establish enough chemistry with any other forwards to make his line a truly dangerous night in and night out line. Well neither did Drury. If one of those two could have done that we might have been a little better than mediocre. When the Gomez--Jagr experiment failed and when Slats decided not to re-sign Jagr our offense really began to fall apart.

There were things about Scott's game I liked. His ability to get the puck out of our own zone and up the ice--though finding wingers who could get up the ice with him was another problem leading to his going it alone which hardly ever produced worthwhile results. He was more of a puck distributor than Drury. Chris was more of a shooter who might have been better off as a wing.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:12 AM
bubba5

go back to the thread at the time of the signing, 80% of the Rangers board was happy as can be when we signed Gomez, if they want to admit it now or not. Redden is a different story.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I can't for the life of me understand why the guy gets boo'd at MSG. His career averages with the Devils were 60-70 pts a season. What kind of stats did he put up when he came to the Rangers? 70 in year 1 and 58 in year 2. So if you think it's smart to boo a guy for achieving the numbers he had achieved his entire career, then go right ahead.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Blueblood 2

When you don't tank seasons to get lottery picks, how else do you get lottery type, skilled players? Gems are found from time to time with later picks but you never get a shot at the "no brainer" can't miss guys. You will never get those guys in their prime either in free agency, without some other baggage. Bottom line is that the rules favor the losers. Mandated "social justice" ultimately brings down the worth of the enterprise. It does foster growth.............in mediocrity!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:16 AM
GAGLine

We didn't sign Gomez just so we could accrue assets. We signed him to be our #1 center and he failed at that. Yes, Sather was later able to turn a mistake into a positive, but that doesn't mean it was a good signing.

The signing kept us competitive. What if we had not been competitive instead, and finished in the lottery? Maybe we would have gotten some blue chip prospects that are better than McD.

No matter how you spin it, signing Gomez to that contract was a mistake and Sather was lucky to trade him for something of value.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We didn't sign Gomez just so we could accrue assets. We signed him to be our #1 center and he failed at that. Yes, Sather was later able to turn a mistake into a positive, but that doesn't mean it was a good signing.

The signing kept us competitive. What if we had not been competitive instead, and finished in the lottery? Maybe we would have gotten some blue chip prospects that are better than McD.

No matter how you spin it, signing Gomez to that contract was a mistake and Sather was lucky to trade him for something of value.
Agree. It's great that we can spin this signing into a positive, but in the end it was another awful UFA mistake. A disaster is still a disaster, regardless of what good may come out of it.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:38 AM
eco's bones

The reality though is buying free agents costs you nothing but the cap space that you spend on them and can be turned into other assets at least as long as you can locate just one of the other 29 GM's around the league who might give you something of value for them--in this case it was Bob Gainey. You don't spend to the ceiling--in this case if we didn't sign Gomez then we don't add McDonagh, Valentenko and we might not have Prust (part of the Higgins deal)--so the Gomez signing over the longer run has worked out nicely for us. So yeah it can be categorized as a mistake but it's a mistake that Sather turned into something very beneficial for us. Redden and Drury can be classified differently--more or less cap space wasted for Redden's entire contract and for a good half of Drury's--and no movement of either for assets from another team. For that reason those two signings completely suck.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote