HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

too many defenseman means somethings gotta give

Old
06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
too many defenseman means somethings gotta give

staal
girardi
mcd
sauer
erixon
mdz
vtank
ktek
pashnin
mcilrath

10 guys. all have a shot too. somethings gotta give eventually. and what happens if we sign a veteran this year.

should be a ferocious battle in camp for those last few spots.

my take is this, if any of the new guys step up and play well, like a vtank or a ktek and mdz continues to struggle, i expect a move. lots of chips to be dealt here.

if we struggle to score again, i could see a package put together for a scoring forward.

wouldnt be surprised to see a dan girardi in play if erixon and vtank step up and become this years sauer/mcd. and certainly mdz would be in play, although another so-so season and his value drops considerably.

this whole defense thing will be interesting going forward.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I can see Valentenko and Kundratek being packaged halfway through the season. They're two of the oldest ones on the outside looking in who should be on the bottom pairing (at least) of an NHL team. I think the club will be very patient with Pashinin and McIlrath too.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

i think a lot of us expect some moves to be made. but not just yet. still too soon to know how several of them will turn out.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

I may be in the minority here, but I expect Sather to go out and sign a veteran RD this off-season on a 1-year deal. I think they will let Valentenko, MDZ and Kundratek go down in the AHL and start the season there and when one shows they are truly ready they will move the veteran and bring one player up.

Erixon, IMO, is being given every opportunity to make the NHL team this season. He is ready.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I expect Sather to go out and sign a veteran RD this off-season on a 1-year deal. I think they will let Valentenko, MDZ and Kundratek go down in the AHL and start the season there and when one shows they are truly ready they will move the veteran and bring one player up.

Erixon, IMO, is being given every opportunity to make the NHL team this season. He is ready
I would go so far as to say the expectation is that he will make the team out of camp.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
arunnair87

This is a very good problem to have

In my eyes 4 of the spots are guaranteed (Staal, Girardi, McD, Sauer.) The remaining 2 spots are up for grabs. I don't think we should sign any UFA defensemen, maybe invite one or two for a tryout just like we always do to stir up some competition amongst our kids.

My guess is Erixon will make the cut, and most likely MDZ (I haven't given up on him yet.)

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MSG the place to be*

Your not gonna salvage anything significant out of the Kundrateks and Valentenkos of the world in a trade. Look what Werek, Grachev and other players around the league are being dealt for.

Just keep our top 4 from last year. Find two more who us fans can feel just as good about. Don't worry about the surplus.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Not gonna lie, when I read Hradek's tweet

Quote:
I'm hearing there are more potentially big trades on the horizon. It could be a wild week!
earlier this evening, the Rangers' surplus of defensemen did pop into my mind...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
OverTheCap

I've been saying it for awhile now: our top 4 is redundant, and one of Girardi, Sauer, or McD will be traded at some point (but not necessarily this season).

Girardi always seemed like the most expendable, but he is our eldest and most experienced defenseman. It really depends on how our other defensemen develop.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:30 PM
NYwRiter94

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
In my eyes 4 of the spots are guaranteed (Staal, Girardi, McD, Sauer.)
Wouldn't we all have said the same about Del Zotto at this point last year?

The only locks are Staal and Girardi. You have six solid young options for the other four spots. You start with McD and Sauer, obviously because of their success last season, and probably with Del Zotto and Erixon as line 3. Then you just ride the hot players throughout the season.

NYwRiter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
MSG the place to be*

The best part about our D is that it is CHEAP and our top two guys are locked up for a few years.

We better keep it that way. Pour the money into the forwards.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:40 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

For some reason I think Girardi gets traded to aquire a F. Not saying it's logical just a gut feeling ... Prolly just dinner settling.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The best part about our D is that it is CHEAP and our top two guys are locked up for a few years.

We better keep it that way. Pour the money into the forwards.
and there you go.... the reason that we have an excess of d-men. so that we can develop them and down the road not have to worry about signing expensive UFA's. And once they are developed they are worth a lot more trade wise.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I definitely think Kundratek stays because he's a right sider. If I were Valentenko, I would demand a trade. Too many LD in front of him. There's an overload of LD, but not RD.

The Rangers need Kundratek. He is not going anywhere unless we are getting superior value. The kid is our third-best right defenseman. Even if one LD moves to RD, Kundratek is still the next guy in line to replace any RD who gets injured.

Look for him to get into at least a couple dozen games this year unless he regresses.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
For some reason I think Girardi gets traded to aquire a F. Not saying it's logical just a gut feeling ... Prolly just dinner settling.
As much as I adore him, moving Girardi makes the most sense for us for a number of reasons:

a) His value is at an all-time high. He was an absolute warrior for us in the playoff series with the Caps. Everyone around the league saw him lead the way in terms of blocked shots as well as defending against Ovenchicken. He was arguably better than Staal in that regard, and was arguably our best all-around d-man throughout the series.

b) He's not getting any younger (he's only 27, but he seems to have perhaps peaked in terms of development) and with the way he plays, he's bound to get injured sooner or later. It makes sense to move him now before his body starts to break down and his value diminishes. He's definitely sought after by more than a few teams around the league.

c) He is paid fairly for what he provides, but moving his nearly 4 million could also prove a good amount of cap relief, depending on what the return is.

d) We have prospects and first and second year players who play a similar role and can make his absence manageable. McDonagh and Sauer are ready for more minutes. Staal is a horse. Erixon is used to playing top minutes against men. As great as Girardi's been for us, we are in a luxurious position of being able to deal from such a position of strength that Girardi's loss won't be felt much if at all. He could be packaged with a prospect and/or pick and bring back a very nice top-6 forward, which is what we really need, assuming of course, that we are able to fill our most glaring need with Brad Richards.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
frankthefrowner

The only locks are Girardi, Staal, McD and Sauer.. the other 2 spots are up for grabs and even then i'd look to resign an eminger typer guy as i would prefer not to go into the season with 2 rooks on the blue line.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

This is a good problem to have.

Sauer was healthy last year but you gotta be sure that this remains constant with him.

Girardi may at some point begin to break down as well...not this year.

So while it may seem like a lot now, it's good to have backup.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

So, question for you: the assumption is always that Girardi will be the one to go. But the real glut is on the LEFT side. What if with TB's supposed cash problems and the rumored resulting difficulties in signing Stamkos, it wound up being something crazy like a package along the lines of Staal, Dubinsky, Kreider and our 2012 1st rounder for Stamkos and Kubina... would you do it?

Old
06-27-2011, 11:05 PM
frankthefrowner

Moving Girardi would be stupid, him and Staal make an awesome shut down pair when they play together.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So, question for you: the assumption is always that Girardi will be the one to go. But the real glut is on the LEFT side. What if with TB's supposed cash problems and the rumored resulting difficulties in signing Stamkos, it wound up being something crazy like a package along the lines of Staal, Dubinsky, Kreider and our 2012 1st rounder for Stamkos and Kubina... would you do it?
ummm no... Our best defensemen, our best lw and our best fw prospect.

Its not an over payment but we are not in a position to make that move.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
We don't need to make any moves just yet. At the deadline, maybe... I'm thinking this time next year though.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

The whole point of having a lot of good young defenseman is so you can replace a good NHL defenseman with a cheaper version of himself. Trading away prospect defenseman is silly as they have very little value compared to a NHL defenseman even only after half a season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I've been saying it for awhile now: our top 4 is redundant, and one of Girardi, Sauer, or McD will be traded at some point (but not necessarily this season).

Girardi always seemed like the most expendable, but he is our eldest and most experienced defenseman. It really depends on how our other defensemen develop.
Girardi was a beast in the playoffs and Torts couldn't stop talking about how important he was. He is part of the core and is not going to be moved IMO

If both Erixon and Valentenko are to make the team then it becomes MDZ who may need to worry, however I would not be in a rush to trade MDZ unless the return was just too good, we don't have anyone else in our organization who has as much offensive upside. Even if Erixon looks like the real deal, MDZ looked like the real deal after the first season and we all know he suffered from the Sophomore slump.

Sather has been very reluctant to trade kids (Dubi, Cally, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, etc) I just don't see him changing the philosophy unless a no-brainer comes up. Especially when he can buyout Drury and go shopping for a top line center and either a top line LW or puck moving d-man only costing us money instead of prospects/kids and cash.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
ummm no... Our best defensemen, our best lw and our best fw prospect.

Its not an over payment but we are not in a position to make that move.
I hear ya. I was trying to go for fair value. Hopefully if they're backed against a wall and have to move him, you could do better.

But I'd have to think long and hard about that one...

Old
06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
staal
girardi
mcd
sauer
erixon
mdz
vtank
ktek
pashnin
mcilrath

10 guys. all have a shot too. somethings gotta give eventually. and what happens if we sign a veteran this year.

should be a ferocious battle in camp for those last few spots.

my take is this, if any of the new guys step up and play well, like a vtank or a ktek and mdz continues to struggle, i expect a move. lots of chips to be dealt here.

if we struggle to score again, i could see a package put together for a scoring forward.

wouldnt be surprised to see a dan girardi in play if erixon and vtank step up and become this years sauer/mcd. and certainly mdz would be in play, although another so-so season and his value drops considerably.

this whole defense thing will be interesting going forward.
EVENTUALLY, sure, something MIGHT have to give.

Girardi and Staal are the only ones above that have more than a season of experience, and Michael Sauer is the only one other than those two that has a complete season. We should not get ahead of ourselves, and if anything, we should probably sign a veteran defenseman going into this upcoming season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote