HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
  #651
Moester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Come on guys !!!11 please keep it on topic.

27 pages and not one legit source ?
Pat Hickey reported in the Gazette...but its all purely speculation. My guess is that there's been some tire kicking being done; but my guess is that the Habs would have to package Gomez with an asset to be rid of him. Which isn't very likely when Gauthier would probably hope for a rebound year and not give up draft picks.

Moester is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
  #652
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/116341

Here's a source. It's Renaud Lavoie reporting that the coyotes have interest in Gomez because of his mexican origins... According to him, there was a trade between the habs and the yotes, Gomez for Jovanovski but Jovo injured himself the same night. You can't trade an injured and therefore the trade was jinxed...

In fact, French got that information from me... Yotes have interest in Gomez, Panthers could have interest in him too in order to reach the cap floor. Another possibility could be the isles. We'll see.

I think if the habs ever trade Gomez, it will be after acquiring a replacement through trades.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
  #653
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,151
vCash: 500
this is where a more "up front" organization would be nice...

if the Habs are trying to move gomez, it would not hurt them one iota if that news made it's way out... if anything, a good P.R GM might even be able to use public comments to drum up greater interest/bidding from the few teams that didn't slam the phone down the minute he mentioned Gomez...

given the NMC, you'd think the team would have spoken to Gomez if they were trying to move him, so no damage there.


and for the fans, it would at least make clear what the teams intentions are, and imo actually make it easier for them to get some slack if no deal presented itself. Far easier to understand a move that wasn't there to be made, than a management team not trying to get it done.

and finally, if they aren't trying to move him, coming out and saying so emphatically could only benefit everyone...

gomez would have that much more incentive to get his arse in gear this offseason after getting a firm show of support from his bosses (at least he would if he has any athletic pride left in him).

media, after taking their shots, would move on to other topics

fans, after a bit of grumbling, would move on and be much more likely to "buy-in", rewarding the team for their transparency...


the whole silent treatement bit is old and tired, does nothing to help the organization, and imo reveals a degree of contempt or disregard for the fan base that is totally unnecessary.

Miller Time is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
  #654
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/116341

Here's a source. It's Renaud Lavoie reporting that the coyotes have interest in Gomez because of his mexican origins... According to him, there was a trade between the habs and the yotes, Gomez for Jovanovski but Jovo injured himself the same night. You can't trade an injured and therefore the trade was jinxed...

In fact, French got that information from me... Yotes have interest in Gomez, Panthers could have interest in him too in order to reach the cap floor. Another possibility could be the isles. We'll see.

I think if the habs ever trade Gomez, it will be after acquiring a replacement through trades.
Mcguire said today on The Team990 that anybody who has seen Gomez play the last 4 years would never trade for him, EXCEPT ...

He said the cap floor will be a problem for a few teams, he didn't want to name the teams, but he did say there are a few teams that are interested in Gomez because the cap floor is so high.

He also said the Habs would not get anything other than a mid to late round draft pick for Gomez in his opinion

HomaridII is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
  #655
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Mcguire said today on The Team990 that anybody who has seen Gomez play the last 4 years would never trade for him, EXCEPT ...

He said the cap floor will be a problem for a few teams, he didn't want to name the teams, but he did say there are a few teams that are interested in Gomez because the cap floor is so high.

He also said the Habs would not get anything other than a mid to late round draft pick for Gomez in his opinion
I'd be happy if we didn't have to give an additional pick to get rid of him.

shutehinside is online now  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
  #656
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Its hard to imagine worst, and after what he said after the season, its hard to imagine that he wont bounce back. He will never be a 7m player, but that doesn't make him expandable until someone can pick up the slack, and carry the puck and play his minutes.

he knows he owes the team a good season ... thats a good start.


sorry for being optimistic.

THE HOFF is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
  #657
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'd be happy if we didn't have to give an additional pick to get rid of him.
I'd be happy to get rid of him..

Belso is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
  #658
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Mcguire said today on The Team990 that anybody who has seen Gomez play the last 4 years would never trade for him, EXCEPT ...

He said the cap floor will be a problem for a few teams, he didn't want to name the teams, but he did say there are a few teams that are interested in Gomez because the cap floor is so high.

He also said the Habs would not get anything other than a mid to late round draft pick for Gomez in his opinion
Well expect something along Olesz value back. I'd like Alexandre Picard from the yotes.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
  #659
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,051
vCash: 500
I'm not sure if these are actually rumors more than speculation.

In Lavoie's piece all he says is that he talked to scouts who believe that Gomez would be an attractive option. The scouts did not say that teams have expressed interests, nor did they say that they have contacted the Canadiens.

Same goes for Mcguire, he says given the new cap floor, teams COULD be interested in the Gomez, he never said teams are. He said the only scenario where Gomez is tradable is in the situation.

Again, this is more speculation than anything else and I think the thread prefix should be adjusted because it's giving posters false hope by claiming that it's a legitimate rumor in the sense that the habs have been contacted.

Andy is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
  #660
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this is where a more "up front" organization would be nice...

if the Habs are trying to move gomez, it would not hurt them one iota if that news made it's way out... if anything, a good P.R GM might even be able to use public comments to drum up greater interest/bidding from the few teams that didn't slam the phone down the minute he mentioned Gomez...

given the NMC, you'd think the team would have spoken to Gomez if they were trying to move him, so no damage there.


and for the fans, it would at least make clear what the teams intentions are, and imo actually make it easier for them to get some slack if no deal presented itself. Far easier to understand a move that wasn't there to be made, than a management team not trying to get it done.

and finally, if they aren't trying to move him, coming out and saying so emphatically could only benefit everyone...

gomez would have that much more incentive to get his arse in gear this offseason after getting a firm show of support from his bosses (at least he would if he has any athletic pride left in him).

media, after taking their shots, would move on to other topics

fans, after a bit of grumbling, would move on and be much more likely to "buy-in", rewarding the team for their transparency...


the whole silent treatement bit is old and tired, does nothing to help the organization, and imo reveals a degree of contempt or disregard for the fan base that is totally unnecessary.
Most GMs don't like to come forward with deals because they don't want players to know about it unless it actually happened.
Sure is fun from a fan's perspective to know the GM is proactively shopping players around and trying to find ways to improve the team, but I don't really think that PG is doing nothing most of the year because we don't hear about it.

I also don't think there would be a bidding war, at all, for Gomez, and going public might not actually create more of one.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
  #661
LastRide
Registered User
 
LastRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
I hope the Habs have something up there sleeve in a serious upgrade.


Last edited by LastRide: 06-27-2011 at 11:20 PM.
LastRide is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
  #662
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I'm not sure if these are actually rumors more than speculation.

In Lavoie's piece all he says is that he talked to scouts who believe that Gomez would be an attractive option. The scouts did not say that teams have expressed interests, nor did they say that they have contacted the Canadiens.

Same goes for Mcguire, he says given the new cap floor, teams COULD be interested in the Gomez, he never said teams are. He said the only scenario where Gomez is tradable is in the situation.

Again, this is more speculation than anything else and I think the thread prefix should be adjusted because it's giving posters false hope by claiming that it's a legitimate rumor in the sense that the habs have been contacted.
Trading Gomez only makes sense if you have a significant improvement to replace, or a signing he prevents you from making. If not, trading him for picks makes no sense other than consciously making the team worst.

Little Nilan is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
  #663
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Can people stop posting this link!

Warning to the next poster...TOXICWAYS IS NOT A LEGITMATE SOURCE!
You're right, but you have to be a pretty dumb **** to report a trade that didn't happen...

Maxpac is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
  #664
euphrates
Registered User
 
euphrates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal East
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
my bad .... geez sorry

euphrates is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
  #665
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You're right, but you have to be a pretty dumb **** to report a trade that didn't happen...
Or really smart and gather hits on your site. Guarenteed his site is exploding with hits. People on my facebook are using his site as a source for Gomez's trade.

How would he have this info before everyone else?

As for reporting a trade before it happened...do we not remember Eklund's Smyth re-signs in Edmonton (E5) and then Smyth gets traded minutes later to the Islanders?

Andy is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
  #666
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,710
vCash: 500
I think it it pretty viable to think that Gomez could get traded.

Richiebottles is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
  #667
pine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Or really smart and gather hits on your site. Guarenteed his site is exploding with hits. People on my facebook are using his site as a source for Gomez's trade.

How would he have this info before everyone else?

As for reporting a trade before it happened...do we not remember Eklund's Smyth re-signs in Edmonton (E5) and then Smyth gets traded minutes later to the Islanders?
Will go down as one of the epic moments in trade rumor history.

pine is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
  #668
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Or really smart and gather hits on your site. Guarenteed his site is exploding with hits. People on my facebook are using his site as a source for Gomez's trade.

How would he have this info before everyone else?

As for reporting a trade before it happened...do we not remember Eklund's Smyth re-signs in Edmonton (E5) and then Smyth gets traded minutes later to the Islanders?
Eklund is legit on 2 days only, trade deadline and July 1st. It's been confirmed various times that it was all but done before negociations came too complicated over numbers and the Oilers took the best offer they got right before 3 P.M.

Maxpac is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
  #669
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Eklund is legit on 2 days only, trade deadline and July 1st. It's been confirmed various times that it was all but done before negociations came too complicated over numbers and the Oilers took the best offer they got right before 3 P.M.
nevertheless, Eklund still jumped the gun and I don't think he cared because his site probably exploded with hits. Good way to get exposure.

How can you go wrong in a case like that? Get everyone's attention with a really big "rumor" that everyone wants to hear. Have them at the edge of their seats while you blog gets exposure and when the deal doesn't happen, you say "the deal fell through at the end"

You know what happens after that...people will still come to your site to see if you have anything that can give them their rumor fix.

Look at *************** for example. Heck...even nhl sources twitter!

Andy is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
  #670
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Stop posting *************** rumors. The guy is a complete fraud.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
  #671
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,479
vCash: 243
What are we going to do with $17m in cap space if we trade Gomez? Be a cap floor team?


We won't even be able to spend our $10m in space that we have right now unless we offer Laich $6m for his 55 points which will be Gomez 2.0 in 3 years. We aren't going to land Richards. We aren't even signing Wiz at this point.

macavoy is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
  #672
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
nevertheless, Eklund still jumped the gun and I don't think he cared because his site probably exploded with hits. Good way to get exposure.

How can you go wrong in a case like that? Get everyone's attention with a really big "rumor" that everyone wants to hear. Have them at the edge of their seats while you blog gets exposure and when the deal doesn't happen, you say "the deal fell through at the end"

You know what happens after that...people will still come to your site to see if you have anything that can give them their rumor fix.

Look at *************** for example. Heck...even nhl sources twitter!
Yeah but, like I said, he jumped the gun because it was all but done, at that point, they all want to be "THE" one that reports it 1st.

Incarceratade Bob seems pretty legit for now...

Maxpac is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
  #673
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What are we going to do with $17m in cap space if we trade Gomez? Be a cap floor team?


We won't even be able to spend our $10m in space that we have right now unless we offer Laich $6m for his 55 points which will be Gomez 2.0 in 3 years. We aren't going to land Richards. We aren't even signing Wiz at this point.
But we'll have enough space to sign Jagr, Laich or Cervenka.

Mathradio is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
  #674
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What are we going to do with $17m in cap space if we trade Gomez? Be a cap floor team?


We won't even be able to spend our $10m in space that we have right now unless we offer Laich $6m for his 55 points which will be Gomez 2.0 in 3 years. We aren't going to land Richards. We aren't even signing Wiz at this point.
The argument would be that the Canadiens would be able to retain Wisniewski and will not have any headaches retaining Subban and Price next season when they are due for raises.

It's not my argument, but it is one you'll hear. Another argument is that getting rid of Gomez you can actual get a better player or a similar player for less cap space and in turn use that cap space to potentially fill out other needs.

But considering the thin UFA pool this year...I don't see much that can replace Gomez, unless you wanna gamble on Connolly or Richards who probably both looking for long term deals which does not help the Canadiens at this point.

Andy is offline  
Old
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
  #675
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Stop posting *************** rumors. The guy is a complete fraud.
Yeah... no. He gets the majority of the deals right and he was the first to break a couple before. Eklund on the other hand is a fraud.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.