HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Come on guys !!!11 please keep it on topic.

27 pages and not one legit source ?
Pat Hickey reported in the Gazette...but its all purely speculation. My guess is that there's been some tire kicking being done; but my guess is that the Habs would have to package Gomez with an asset to be rid of him. Which isn't very likely when Gauthier would probably hope for a rebound year and not give up draft picks.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/116341

Here's a source. It's Renaud Lavoie reporting that the coyotes have interest in Gomez because of his mexican origins... According to him, there was a trade between the habs and the yotes, Gomez for Jovanovski but Jovo injured himself the same night. You can't trade an injured and therefore the trade was jinxed...

In fact, French got that information from me... Yotes have interest in Gomez, Panthers could have interest in him too in order to reach the cap floor. Another possibility could be the isles. We'll see.

I think if the habs ever trade Gomez, it will be after acquiring a replacement through trades.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Miller Time

this is where a more "up front" organization would be nice...

if the Habs are trying to move gomez, it would not hurt them one iota if that news made it's way out... if anything, a good P.R GM might even be able to use public comments to drum up greater interest/bidding from the few teams that didn't slam the phone down the minute he mentioned Gomez...

given the NMC, you'd think the team would have spoken to Gomez if they were trying to move him, so no damage there.

and for the fans, it would at least make clear what the teams intentions are, and imo actually make it easier for them to get some slack if no deal presented itself. Far easier to understand a move that wasn't there to be made, than a management team not trying to get it done.

and finally, if they aren't trying to move him, coming out and saying so emphatically could only benefit everyone...

gomez would have that much more incentive to get his arse in gear this offseason after getting a firm show of support from his bosses (at least he would if he has any athletic pride left in him).

media, after taking their shots, would move on to other topics

fans, after a bit of grumbling, would move on and be much more likely to "buy-in", rewarding the team for their transparency...

the whole silent treatement bit is old and tired, does nothing to help the organization, and imo reveals a degree of contempt or disregard for the fan base that is totally unnecessary.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/608456/posts/116341

Here's a source. It's Renaud Lavoie reporting that the coyotes have interest in Gomez because of his mexican origins... According to him, there was a trade between the habs and the yotes, Gomez for Jovanovski but Jovo injured himself the same night. You can't trade an injured and therefore the trade was jinxed...

In fact, French got that information from me... Yotes have interest in Gomez, Panthers could have interest in him too in order to reach the cap floor. Another possibility could be the isles. We'll see.

I think if the habs ever trade Gomez, it will be after acquiring a replacement through trades.
Mcguire said today on The Team990 that anybody who has seen Gomez play the last 4 years would never trade for him, EXCEPT ...

He said the cap floor will be a problem for a few teams, he didn't want to name the teams, but he did say there are a few teams that are interested in Gomez because the cap floor is so high.

He also said the Habs would not get anything other than a mid to late round draft pick for Gomez in his opinion

Old
06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Mcguire said today on The Team990 that anybody who has seen Gomez play the last 4 years would never trade for him, EXCEPT ...

He said the cap floor will be a problem for a few teams, he didn't want to name the teams, but he did say there are a few teams that are interested in Gomez because the cap floor is so high.

He also said the Habs would not get anything other than a mid to late round draft pick for Gomez in his opinion
I'd be happy if we didn't have to give an additional pick to get rid of him.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:32 PM
THE HOFF

Its hard to imagine worst, and after what he said after the season, its hard to imagine that he wont bounce back. He will never be a 7m player, but that doesn't make him expandable until someone can pick up the slack, and carry the puck and play his minutes.

he knows he owes the team a good season ... thats a good start.

sorry for being optimistic.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'd be happy if we didn't have to give an additional pick to get rid of him.
I'd be happy to get rid of him..

Old
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Well expect something along Olesz value back. I'd like Alexandre Picard from the yotes.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Andy

I'm not sure if these are actually rumors more than speculation.

In Lavoie's piece all he says is that he talked to scouts who believe that Gomez would be an attractive option. The scouts did not say that teams have expressed interests, nor did they say that they have contacted the Canadiens.

Same goes for Mcguire, he says given the new cap floor, teams COULD be interested in the Gomez, he never said teams are. He said the only scenario where Gomez is tradable is in the situation.

Again, this is more speculation than anything else and I think the thread prefix should be adjusted because it's giving posters false hope by claiming that it's a legitimate rumor in the sense that the habs have been contacted.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this is where a more "up front" organization would be nice...

if the Habs are trying to move gomez, it would not hurt them one iota if that news made it's way out... if anything, a good P.R GM might even be able to use public comments to drum up greater interest/bidding from the few teams that didn't slam the phone down the minute he mentioned Gomez...

given the NMC, you'd think the team would have spoken to Gomez if they were trying to move him, so no damage there.

and for the fans, it would at least make clear what the teams intentions are, and imo actually make it easier for them to get some slack if no deal presented itself. Far easier to understand a move that wasn't there to be made, than a management team not trying to get it done.

and finally, if they aren't trying to move him, coming out and saying so emphatically could only benefit everyone...

gomez would have that much more incentive to get his arse in gear this offseason after getting a firm show of support from his bosses (at least he would if he has any athletic pride left in him).

media, after taking their shots, would move on to other topics

fans, after a bit of grumbling, would move on and be much more likely to "buy-in", rewarding the team for their transparency...

the whole silent treatement bit is old and tired, does nothing to help the organization, and imo reveals a degree of contempt or disregard for the fan base that is totally unnecessary.
Most GMs don't like to come forward with deals because they don't want players to know about it unless it actually happened.
Sure is fun from a fan's perspective to know the GM is proactively shopping players around and trying to find ways to improve the team, but I don't really think that PG is doing nothing most of the year because we don't hear about it.

I also don't think there would be a bidding war, at all, for Gomez, and going public might not actually create more of one.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
LastRide

I hope the Habs have something up there sleeve in a serious upgrade.

Last edited by LastRide: 06-27-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I'm not sure if these are actually rumors more than speculation.

In Lavoie's piece all he says is that he talked to scouts who believe that Gomez would be an attractive option. The scouts did not say that teams have expressed interests, nor did they say that they have contacted the Canadiens.

Same goes for Mcguire, he says given the new cap floor, teams COULD be interested in the Gomez, he never said teams are. He said the only scenario where Gomez is tradable is in the situation.

Again, this is more speculation than anything else and I think the thread prefix should be adjusted because it's giving posters false hope by claiming that it's a legitimate rumor in the sense that the habs have been contacted.
Trading Gomez only makes sense if you have a significant improvement to replace, or a signing he prevents you from making. If not, trading him for picks makes no sense other than consciously making the team worst.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Can people stop posting this link!

Warning to the next poster...TOXICWAYS IS NOT A LEGITMATE SOURCE!
You're right, but you have to be a pretty dumb **** to report a trade that didn't happen...

Old
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
euphrates

my bad .... geez sorry

Old
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You're right, but you have to be a pretty dumb **** to report a trade that didn't happen...
Or really smart and gather hits on your site. Guarenteed his site is exploding with hits. People on my facebook are using his site as a source for Gomez's trade.

How would he have this info before everyone else?

As for reporting a trade before it happened...do we not remember Eklund's Smyth re-signs in Edmonton (E5) and then Smyth gets traded minutes later to the Islanders?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I think it it pretty viable to think that Gomez could get traded.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Or really smart and gather hits on your site. Guarenteed his site is exploding with hits. People on my facebook are using his site as a source for Gomez's trade.

As for reporting a trade before it happened...do we not remember Eklund's Smyth re-signs in Edmonton (E5) and then Smyth gets traded minutes later to the Islanders?
Will go down as one of the epic moments in trade rumor history.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Eklund is legit on 2 days only, trade deadline and July 1st. It's been confirmed various times that it was all but done before negociations came too complicated over numbers and the Oilers took the best offer they got right before 3 P.M.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Eklund is legit on 2 days only, trade deadline and July 1st. It's been confirmed various times that it was all but done before negociations came too complicated over numbers and the Oilers took the best offer they got right before 3 P.M.
nevertheless, Eklund still jumped the gun and I don't think he cared because his site probably exploded with hits. Good way to get exposure.

How can you go wrong in a case like that? Get everyone's attention with a really big "rumor" that everyone wants to hear. Have them at the edge of their seats while you blog gets exposure and when the deal doesn't happen, you say "the deal fell through at the end"

You know what happens after that...people will still come to your site to see if you have anything that can give them their rumor fix.

Look at *************** for example. Heck...even nhl sources twitter!

Old
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Stop posting *************** rumors. The guy is a complete fraud.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
What are we going to do with $17m in cap space if we trade Gomez? Be a cap floor team?

We won't even be able to spend our $10m in space that we have right now unless we offer Laich $6m for his 55 points which will be Gomez 2.0 in 3 years. We aren't going to land Richards. We aren't even signing Wiz at this point.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
nevertheless, Eklund still jumped the gun and I don't think he cared because his site probably exploded with hits. Good way to get exposure.

How can you go wrong in a case like that? Get everyone's attention with a really big "rumor" that everyone wants to hear. Have them at the edge of their seats while you blog gets exposure and when the deal doesn't happen, you say "the deal fell through at the end"

You know what happens after that...people will still come to your site to see if you have anything that can give them their rumor fix.

Look at *************** for example. Heck...even nhl sources twitter!
Yeah but, like I said, he jumped the gun because it was all but done, at that point, they all want to be "THE" one that reports it 1st.

Incarceratade Bob seems pretty legit for now...

Old
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What are we going to do with $17m in cap space if we trade Gomez? Be a cap floor team?

We won't even be able to spend our $10m in space that we have right now unless we offer Laich $6m for his 55 points which will be Gomez 2.0 in 3 years. We aren't going to land Richards. We aren't even signing Wiz at this point.
But we'll have enough space to sign Jagr, Laich or Cervenka.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

The argument would be that the Canadiens would be able to retain Wisniewski and will not have any headaches retaining Subban and Price next season when they are due for raises.

It's not my argument, but it is one you'll hear. Another argument is that getting rid of Gomez you can actual get a better player or a similar player for less cap space and in turn use that cap space to potentially fill out other needs.

But considering the thin UFA pool this year...I don't see much that can replace Gomez, unless you wanna gamble on Connolly or Richards who probably both looking for long term deals which does not help the Canadiens at this point.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Stop posting *************** rumors. The guy is a complete fraud.
Yeah... no. He gets the majority of the deals right and he was the first to break a couple before. Eklund on the other hand is a fraud.

Closed Thread