HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Je suis… Senator?!?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Je suis… Senator?!?

The Montreal Canadiens have made several changed in the last couple of years on the management side of things. Out are former Canadiens Guy Carbonneau, Bob Gainey and now Kirk Muller. In are former Senators Pierre Gauthier, Jacques Martin and Randy Conneyworth. So much for Habs tradition I guess.

But it’s the decisions made by this new management that catch the attention above all. While being dominated at just about every level on the ice, the Canadiens rode the tail of a hot goaltender (Halak) two years ago to give the impression that the team was heading in the right direction. Many fans bought into the idea and gave the Gauthier/Martin duo a blind vote of confidence. This past season, young superstars to be Carey Price and PK Subban made their coach and GM look good once again as without their amazing contribution, especially Molson Cup winner Price, the team would have been excluded from the playoffs.

The scariest thing about it is that the GM’s and coach’s track records aren’t very positive. Many players had a terrible season offensively. Many others have been given away, players who, under smothering coaching and unfair treatment towards young talented players, have found their niche and success elsewhere. Let’s look at it a bit closer if we may…
  • Gone are Ben Maxwell and a 4th round pick, and so are the two players we got in return: Nigel Dawes and Brent Sopel. That’s a four player swing!

Read more: Je suis... Senator?!?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
pine

vCash: 50
They say a picture is worth a thousand words... and I say nice picture. Wouldn't you like to see Carey in Ottawa?

"Je suis sénateur?"

On another note, Pouliot is gone.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
otto bond

I dare you put a sens logo on a HAB jersey Gross

Old
06-27-2011, 10:26 PM
SouthernHab

Great thread Habsterix.

When you look at all of the transactions that Gauthier has made in a nice and neat format like you did, it causes one to open their eyes.

Gauthier has been doing nothing in Montreal but giving away. He is a kind man who believes it is far better to give than to receive.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:26 PM
pine

On 2nd thought, I'm disappointed this thread didn't have a poll attached to it.

I really thought maybe we could try to beat the record of the most lopsided poll in recent HFHabs history, seen here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=933311&page=3

96.18% vs 3.82% will be quite hard to pull off, but I think we can do it.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Wouldn't you like to see Carey in Ottawa?
He'd probably be better than many of the Senators over there.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

I love it when fans say that when a player flourishes like Subban and Price its despite the coach and GM, but when the likes of Cammy and Kostitsyn don't produce its the coaches fault.

News flash... Boston won the cup on a hot goaltender and good system hockey... guess what we got in spades? Some may say that we got lucky two years in a row (yes these playoffs were still good considering that we gave the SC champs their hardest series), but I say we are close to having all the right pieces to be cup contenders

Old
06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post

The Montreal Canadiens have made several changed in the last couple of years on the management side of things. Out are former Canadiens Guy Carbonneau, Bob Gainey and now Kirk Muller. In are former Senators Pierre Gauthier, Jacques Martin and Randy Conneyworth. So much for Habs tradition I guess.

But it’s the decisions made by this new management that catch the attention above all. While being dominated at just about every level on the ice, the Canadiens rode the tail of a hot goaltender (Halak) two years ago to give the impression that the team was heading in the right direction. Many fans bought into the idea and gave the Gauthier/Martin duo a blind vote of confidence. This past season, young superstars to be Carey Price and PK Subban made their coach and GM look good once again as without their amazing contribution, especially Molson Cup winner Price, the team would have been excluded from the playoffs.

The scariest thing about it is that the GM’s and coach’s track records aren’t very positive. Many players had a terrible season offensively. Many others have been given away, players who, under smothering coaching and unfair treatment towards young talented players, have found their niche and success elsewhere. Let’s look at it a bit closer if we may…
  • Gone are Ben Maxwell and a 4th round pick, and so are the two players we got in return: Nigel Dawes and Brent Sopel. That’s a four player swing!

Good points and great analysis, if only more Canadiens' fans would wake up and see how this great franchise is being mishandled by Martin and Gauthier, two micro manager, arrogant dictators, who have won what in their careers, oh yeah, NOTHING

Old
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
On 2nd thought, I'm disappointed this thread didn't have a poll attached to it.

I really thought maybe we could try to beat the record of the most lopsided poll in recent HFHabs history, seen here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=933311&page=3

96.18% vs 3.82% will be quite hard to pull off, but I think we can do it.
Is that all you've got? I'm disappointed. Was the blog too long for you to read? Maybe a poll is shorter and easier.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Good points and great analysis, if only more Canadiens' fans would wake up and see how this great franchise is being mishandled by Martin and Gauthier, two micro manager, arrogant dictators, who have won what in their careers, oh yeah, NOTHING
Bob Gainey won a lots of things but I doubt you were a fan

Old
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
knuck
On and off fan

It's a decent article (really) but I'm annoyed by the endless negativism. You need to give props for the good moves they did otherwise it just looks like some mindless bashing to me

Old
06-27-2011, 11:00 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

You need to look at the glass half full buddy. PK Subban is a revelation. Carey Price is going to lead team canada in 2014. Max Pacioretty is the big bodied power forward we've longed for. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Yemelin. Those guys are all over 6'2. Finally Our D will become younger stronger, and most importantly better. The future is bright.

We just took the stanley cup champions to Overtime of game 7, without a 6 million dollar d-man, or best shutdown guy, and our most proficient forward, and we were a few bounces away from winning the division. Imagine a year where Patches plays 82 games, and markov doesn;t get killed, and gorges is healthy. Imagine the growth of Carey and PK. This team is headed in the right direction. We will win the cup....very soon.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:

Someone wrote a similar text before and during last season.. but about the Boston Bruins.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Old
06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Bob Gainey won a lots of things but I doubt you were a fan
Bob Gainey is a solid individual, I've know him since his days in Peterboro playing for the Petes, a real class act, and a winner, but things seemed to have to changed the last few years, and the decision making in Montreal was quite confusing to say the least.
The firing of Carbonneau, (another winner and good hockey mind), and then a few months later dismantling half the team, so who and what was the problem?? Was it the coach or the players, by these actions, no one is quite sure.
I would like to be a fan, but I cannot support the track record of the Gauthier/Martin duo of incompentence, and where making the playoffs is considered a success, and then making fans believe that the team was so close to winning it all, since they lost to the eventual Stanley Cup winners.
Habsterix post is quite accurate, and there a lot of people that I know agree, especially the ones that remember and lived the greatness of the real Montreal Canadiens,

Old
06-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Bob Gainey is a solid individual, I've know him since his days in Peterboro playing for the Petes, a real class act, and a winner, but things seemed to have to changed the last few years, and the decision making in Montreal was quite confusing to say the least.
The firing of Carbonneau, (another winner and good hockey mind), and then a few months later dismantling half the team, so who and what was the problem?? Was it the coach or the players, by these actions, no one is quite sure.
I would like to be a fan, but I cannot support the track record of the Gauthier/Martin duo of incompentence, and where making the playoffs is considered a success, and then making fans believe that the team was so close to winning it all, since they lost to the eventual Stanley Cup winners.
Habsterix post is quite accurate, and there a lot of people that I know agree, especially the ones that remember and lived the greatness of the real Montreal Canadiens,
You're touching here on a key point and that's the reason for my conclusion, the last paragraph. People now days seem to have an unconditional, blind love for whatever management and/or some players do. We don't have to look far: Kovalev, who worked one game out of four, was the Bell Centre god. Most don't remember the glory days, what a true star player looks like in Montreal. Most tend to overrate our players, even voting them to all-star games when they have no business there. Yet, the rink is packed, the prices are amongst the highest in the league, but it doesn't matter.

Yes, this seems very negative. I prefer seeing it as thought provoking, soul searching. I suspect that most will strongly disagree. They will take each point one at a time and break them down to justify each trade, each move. It's the way it's done now days. I prefer taking a step back and looking at the whole picture.

Someone mentioned that there are a lot of positives in the young players on the team. I fully agree and that's a blog I'm planning on writing about this summer. Not all is negative. I'm just very, very concerned about the moves management are making, the assets they're wasting, the system they're playing causing collateral damage by not getting full value in trades. As the Flyers did: buy low, sell high. Due to Martin, Gauthier does the exact opposite.

My two cents.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
You're touching here on a key point and that's the reason for my conclusion, the last paragraph. People now days seem to have an unconditional, blind love for whatever management and/or some players do. We don't have to look far: Kovalev, who worked one game out of four, was the Bell Centre god. Most don't remember the glory days, what a true star player looks like in Montreal. Most tend to overrate our players, even voting them to all-star games when they have no business there. Yet, the rink is packed, the prices are amongst the highest in the league, but it doesn't matter.

Yes, this seems very negative. I prefer seeing it as thought provoking, soul searching. I suspect that most will strongly disagree. They will take each point one at a time and break them down to justify each trade, each move. It's the way it's done now days. I prefer taking a step back and looking at the whole picture.

Someone mentioned that there are a lot of positives in the young players on the team. I fully agree and that's a blog I'm planning on writing about this summer. Not all is negative. I'm just very, very concerned about the moves management are making, the assets they're wasting, the system they're playing causing collateral damage by not getting full value in trades. As the Flyers did: buy low, sell high. Due to Martin, Gauthier does the exact opposite.

My two cents.
This is so wrong. Everyone hates Martin, and everyone hated Gainey. Finally people can at least recognize the PG is doing a good job.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Tusk

It's still a pretty new team.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
eaglesmaster

People complained about Sam Pollock too, back in the day. Habs fans doubting and second guessing management has never been something new. If anything, the true tradition of habs "fans" is to complain about whoever is in charge because they are not pulling miracles every day and do not fart out rainbows.

Many years back there was a certain player whom was drafted by Pollock. The collective reaction of the fans was "bob who?". Yes, that player was Bob Gainey. The media and fans were desperate to figure out why Sam went and drafted a player in the first round who had such average statistics. The rest well, its history.

My favorite argument is when people compare how player x is doing in location x as if player x would post similar numbers in location y. There are many circumstances that surround every scenario. All of which can have an effect on performance. Here are some easy ones I can name off the top of my head. The different players one is surrounded with. The state of hockey in the city. The coaching style. Family life. Locker room environment.

In Montreal we create a fishbowl environment. We analyze everything about our players, from their performance on ice to each and every nose hair. We put the spotlight on these players. Here, they are celebrities. Many players are drafted at the tender age of 18. And each player who gets drafted by Montreal instantly has hundred of thousands of eyes following him. Watching. Waiting for the player to falter so they can rain down their boos on him. "Bah he's garbage". "That guy has a poor attitude". "Why did we draft this idiot?" "Management is screwing us over!!!" I don't know about you, but if I was given star status at such a young age, and then shat on only a few minutes later by the same people for making an error of judgement or not meeting their unreasonable expectations, I think I would get pretty down on myself too. And nothing is worse then playing with no confidence. I will even say that everything in life is made harder when one lacks confidence.

I will not throw my voice out to say Pierre Gauthier has done an awesome job, its much too early to determine anything. I do not fully endorse management. I just want some "fans" to understand and think on things reasonably before trashing management.

ffs Sergei was booed out of town. How many of you booed him or talked **** on him? He was one of my favorite players! If anyone should complain it was his fans. I was super happy when we drafted him. And now the same people who shat on him are the ones blaming management for getting rid of him? Okay i got a bit of my anger out there, back to reason.

Management does what it wants. This will always be the case. The fans will never be happy with management. This will always be the case. Any GM worth his weight should never listen to the fans. Sam Pollock was the epitome of that. He traded established veterans for future picks and young prospects. Many fans were furious with him, but the results speak for themselves.

There are fans who are pissed at PG, but at the end of the day, in two years we have reached the conference finals once, and lost in game 7 overtime to the SC champions. Yes we have not won a cup. But its not like he entered with a championship caliber team to start with anyway. I may not agree with the moves he has made. I may not like him. But I know I cannot go against the results.

O, and just a heads up, it is usually a bad idea to insult the opposing side of an argument. It does not demonstrate that you are correct in your position, since when there is an argument there is no true correct stance else it would not be an argument. You can present your arguments. You can demonstrate why your oppositions points are weaker. But simply shrugging them off as people" looking for excuses to justify bad decisions" is rather infantile. This has nothing to do with my stance. This is simply a criticism on your writing style. Use it in a constructive or destructive matter at your leisure.

Last edited by eaglesmaster: 06-27-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: cleaning
Old
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
This is so wrong. Everyone hates Martin, and everyone hated Gainey. Finally people can at least recognize the PG is doing a good job.
But you cannot deny what Habsterix is saying. In the short tenure of Gauthier, he has basically come up on the short end of every trade.

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
People complained about Sam Pollock too, back in the day. Habs fans doubting and second guessing management has never been something new. If anything, the true tradition of habs "fans" is to complain about whoever is in charge because they are not pulling miracles every day and do not fart out rainbows.

Many years back there was a certain player whom was drafted by Pollock. The collective reaction of the fans was "bob who?". Yes, that player was Bob Gainey. The media and fans were desperate to figure out why Sam went and drafted a player in the first round who had such average statistics. The rest well, its history.

My favorite argument is when people compare how player x is doing in location x as if player x would post similar numbers in location y. There are many circumstances that surround every scenario. All of which can have an effect on performance. Here are some easy ones I can name off the top of my head. The different players one is surrounded with. The state of hockey in the city. The coaching style. Family life. Locker room environment.

In Montreal we create a fishbowl environment. We analyze everything about our players, from their performance on ice to each and every nose hair. We put the spotlight on these players. Here, they are celebrities. Many players are drafted at the tender age of 18. And each player who gets drafted by Montreal instantly has hundred of thousands of eyes following him. Watching. Waiting for the player to falter so they can rain down their boos on him. "Bah he's garbage". "That guy has a poor attitude". "Why did we draft this idiot?" "Management is screwing us over!!!" I don't know about you, but if I was given star status at such a young age, and then shat on only a few minutes later by the same people for making an error of judgement or not meeting their unreasonable expectations, I think I would get pretty down on myself too. And nothing is worse then playing with no confidence. I will even say that everything in life is made harder when one lacks confidence.

I will not throw my voice out to say Pierre Gauthier has done an awesome job, its much too early to determine anything. I do not fully endorse management. I just want some "fans" to understand and think on things reasonably before trashing management.

ffs Sergei was booed out of town. How many of you booed him or talked **** on him? He was one of my favorite players! If anyone should complain it was his fans. I was super happy when we drafted him. And now the same people who shat on him are the ones blaming management for getting rid of him? Okay i got a bit of my anger out there, back to reason.

Management does what it wants. This will always be the case. The fans will never be happy with management. This will always be the case. Any GM worth his weight should never listen to the fans. Sam Pollock was the epitome of that. He traded established veterans for future picks and young prospects. Many fans were furious with him, but the results speak for themselves.

There are fans who are pissed at PG, but at the end of the day, in two years we have reached the conference finals once, and lost in game 7 overtime to the SC champions. Yes we have not won a cup. But its not like he entered with a championship caliber team to start with anyway. I may not agree with the moves he has made. I may not like him. But I know I cannot go against the results.

O, and just a heads up, it is usually a bad idea to insult the opposing side of an argument. It does not demonstrate that you are correct in your position, since when there is an argument there is no true correct stance else it would not be an argument. You can present your arguments. You can demonstrate why your oppositions points are weaker. But simply shrugging them off as people" looking for excuses to justify bad decisions" is rather infantile. This has nothing to do with my stance. This is simply a criticism on your writing style. Use it in a constructive or destructive matter at your leisure.
Hey, listen to this guy.

Old
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

You imply that all those departed Habs were going balls-out great. They weren't. You imply that the Habs were doing better in the playoffs before Martin arrived. YouThey weren't. So how did the Habs get to scare the bejeebers out of the SC champs, taking them to 7 games in which 3 were decided in OT, despite the absence of key Habs who might have altered the outcome? Do you suffer from self-induced amnesia when you overlook the 2 goals and 1 assist of the great Latenesse [spelling intentional] in 23 games before he was traded? Or the disruptive antics of the lesser Kostitsyn or the futility of Maxwell or the reverse metamorphosis of the Magic Slovak into just a pretty good goaltender after he was traded to the Blues? Do you dislike the signing of (Y)Emelin at long last, which eluded Gauthier's predecessor? You must have been sucking on a particularly sour lemon when you unburdened youself.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
SouthernHab

But to be fair to Gauthier, July 1 is right around the corner.

Will he make this team tougher? If he does, then he understands hockey in 2011.

If he takes the route of soft team, then he is an abject failure to not understand the needs of this team.

Time will ultimately tell.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Kriss E

Do you write anything good about management?..Just curious.

Typical habsterix management bashing post. Nothing new here.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
Nope, I do that on purpose. Why? Simply because I call a spade a spade. I call it the way I see it. If I wanted to win a popularity contest, I'd write about how great the organization is, how great the players are, how they can do no wrong. It's go with the popular belief, follow the herd like everyone else. It's not as much putting anyone down as it is painting the picture the way I see it. To the readers to use it in a constructive or destructive manner at their leisure.

Closed Thread