HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Maxim Lapierre signs 2-year, $2m Deal ($1m/year cap hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
  #76
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,175
vCash: 500
great deal. he was a beast in the playoffs.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
  #77
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,739
vCash: 500
Great deal if he continues his steady play.

Perfect for the 4th line centre role that is always a question mark going into camp.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
  #78
hackey
Posts: 1,258,486
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SoStopPostingSoMuch
Posts: 2,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
Love it. Of Torres/Higgins/Lappy, Lappy was the only one I really wanted re-signed.
Lapierre was a RFA
He had no room to negotiate
He took his QO

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:00 PM
  #79
CanucksOo
Registered User
 
CanucksOo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 500
Great contract. Lappy helps to solidify the 4th line. As long as we add a 2nd line forward and 1 or 2 4th liners, we'll be rolling 4 lines in no time! This will be key come playoffs.

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
  #80
express
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Lapierre was a RFA
He had no room to negotiate
He took his QO
That's not at all how RFAs work.

You still have to negotiate a fair contract, or it ends up in arbitration...

QOs for players that made $900,000 would be 105% of their salary.. so his would have been $945,000. The contract he signed was a bit over his QO

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
  #81
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Like Canuckee said, don't expect too much during the regular season; be satisfied that he'll be awesome in the playoffs.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  #82
The Big Foot
Registered User
 
The Big Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Bhutan
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't like all these comments about how he's going to be subpar in the regular season. He better earn that money. You can't just be a "playoff specialist".

Look at Samuelsson, whenever he had a slump (and he had godawful stretches) people would shrug it off cause magically he was going to be an allstar in the playoffs. Uh, nope. He was a liability for a few games and then missed the rest.

Lapierre better improve. He has decent hands. He should be entering the prime of his career, with a group of guys he can learn a lot from. This multi year contract, coming off a year where he was traded twice, should not be a sign that he can coast til the playoffs. We don't want players that coast. That's what made this past season's team awesome.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  #83
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,586
vCash: 500
Great deal. If Malhotra play slips off then we have someone to step in and, as previously stated elsewhere, we finally have legit 4th line center.

There is nothing to dislike about this deal.

LaPierre said that he was willing to do what AV wanted and for the most part played under control. Throughout his career LaPierre has shown himself to be an excellent checking center - right back to the days of checking Sidney Crosby out of the play in Junior. Also finally gives someone on the 4th line that can rightfully be used on the PK. (thank god Glass will longer be looking to do this.)

When you think back to us paying 1.5 (when the cap was lower as well) for the dreadful Ryan Johnson, it puts things in perspective.

The deadline deal for LaPierre now looks awesome. One of the few real good deadline deals the team has made.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
  #84
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,796
vCash: 50
As others have said, excellent insurance policy given the nature of Manny's injury.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
  #85
LongRoad
Registered User
 
LongRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
That's not at all how RFAs work.

You still have to negotiate a fair contract, or it ends up in arbitration...

QOs for players that made $900,000 would be 105% of their salary.. so his would have been $945,000. The contract he signed was a bit over his QO
And there's always the possibility of holding out for offer sheets, although Lapierre probably wasn't going to receive any.

Anyways, my point was I'm happy he's here for two years at a reasonable price and I'm fine losing Higgins and Torres because I think they're replaceable for the prices they're likely seeking.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:49 PM
  #86
huntison
Registered User
 
huntison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
250k less then expected, solid deal
Exactly my thoughts....And Bieksa is about 400 more than I expected...evens it out a little...

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
  #87
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
great deal. he was a beast in the playoffs.
Two years running.

This is what excites me most about him.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
  #88
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't like all these comments about how he's going to be subpar in the regular season. He better earn that money. You can't just be a "playoff specialist".

Look at Samuelsson, whenever he had a slump (and he had godawful stretches) people would shrug it off cause magically he was going to be an allstar in the playoffs. Uh, nope. He was a liability for a few games and then missed the rest.

Lapierre better improve. He has decent hands. He should be entering the prime of his career, with a group of guys he can learn a lot from. This multi year contract, coming off a year where he was traded twice, should not be a sign that he can coast til the playoffs. We don't want players that coast. That's what made this past season's team awesome.
Samuelsson was hurt most of the season. That's like saying Malhotra didn't earn his money because he nearly lost an eye...

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
  #89
KingBrodeur
Registered User
 
KingBrodeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lennoxville Quebec
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Great deal. He may take the odd bad penalty, and Habs fans were happy to see him go as a result. But, even they to a man say that in the playoffs, or if it is a big game he shows up and does not disappoint.

KingBrodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
  #90
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,402
vCash: 500
Unlike most of you, I have reservations about the signing. Lapierre had a good playoff, but by all accounts, was pretty awful during the regular season. And as I stated earlier in the thread, the Canucks need to do something about the reputation they have as whining, yappy divers. Signing Lapiere doesn't help in that regard.

The money and term is fine, and it looks like decent value on paper, but I wouldn't be shocked if people are calling for Lapierre to be traded by November.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
  #91
BobbySmithFan
Registered User
 
BobbySmithFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hollywood North
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Good signing...but Helicopter Team FTW!


(No Wings)

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
  #92
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 500
Having that kind of depth also means having a fourth line that can play more than four or five minutes a game. And rolling four lines should help with the whole marathon nature of NHL regular season and playoffs.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
  #93
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
I'm going against the grain and say AV will get the most out of him all year.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:19 PM
  #94
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,298
vCash: 500
Great signing. I wonder what Pierre McGuire thinks about our center depth and where Hodgson fits in. He was spazzing after we got Manny, and I think him and Ferraro were both bashing Gillis for getting Lappy at the deadline.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
  #95
BobbySmithFan
Registered User
 
BobbySmithFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hollywood North
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I'm going against the grain and say AV will get the most out of him all year.
The French Connection: AV, Luongo, Burrows, Lapierre.

And thank god no more Bolduc.

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:28 PM
  #96
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I'm going against the grain and say AV will get the most out of him all year.
Agree. They seem to have some rapport.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
  #97
Kagee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySmithFan View Post
The French Connection: AV, Luongo, Burrows, Lapierre.

And thank god no more Bolduc.
haha, now all we need is Gagne.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
  #98
alternate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
haha, now all we need is Gagne.
and Marc-Andre Bergeron. Need Frenchies at all levels!

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
  #99
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Great deal. If Malhotra play slips off then we have someone to step in and, as previously stated elsewhere, we finally have legit 4th line center.

There is nothing to dislike about this deal.

LaPierre said that he was willing to do what AV wanted and for the most part played under control. Throughout his career LaPierre has shown himself to be an excellent checking center - right back to the days of checking Sidney Crosby out of the play in Junior. Also finally gives someone on the 4th line that can rightfully be used on the PK. (thank god Glass will longer be looking to do this.)

When you think back to us paying 1.5 (when the cap was lower as well) for the dreadful Ryan Johnson, it puts things in perspective.

The deadline deal for LaPierre now looks awesome. One of the few real good deadline deals the team has made.
Problem made WORSE as he had no ability to handle increased responsibilities (eg., play as a 3rd line center) as he couldn't even handle 4th line center duties all that well.

Might be a better option to take over as a scoring center should either Hank or Kesler get hurt for a period of time. Seems to have better offensive skills than Maholtra.

Maholtra can also help him improve his faceoff ability.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
  #100
CallMeJerry
Registered User
 
CallMeJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
But..but..but.....this will mean other teams' fanbases and some members of the media will dislike the Canucks...

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.