HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Ryan Strome

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 11:49 PM
mikeedef

vCash: 500
Ryan Strome

when will he make the Islanders? and when he does make the team will he be a 2nd line center behind JT or will they move one of them to the wing?

Old
06-27-2011, 11:54 PM
KyleBailey12

I can see him making the team during the 2012-2013 season or the 2013-2014. He might even be ready before that, but there is no point in rushing him.

I believe he would center behind Tavares. I'm not sure if has had any experience playing wing. I sincerely doubt Tavares would be moved to wing.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
I can see him making the team during the 2012-2013 season or the 2013-2014. He might even be ready before that, but there is no point in rushing him.

I believe he would center behind Tavares. I'm not sure if has had any experience playing wing. I sincerely doubt Tavares would be moved to wing.
Either this or Strome becomes JT's right-winger. Dude has some serious ability to skate and dangle....once I see that Nielsen's been re-upped, I'll be pretty surprised if he winds up anywhere else. That kind of skating/stickhandling ability doesn't grow on trees, and considering the likelihood of quality chemistry between Tavares & Strome considering they work out together, I'm looking for Strome to ride shotgun for Tavares in 3 seasons.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:35 AM
MJP

I would like to see him get the rookie 9 game tryout (i think thats what it is) before getting sent to bridgeport like Nino did. Honestly can't hurt.

Also, whats the deal with Nino, is he gonna be brought up after his great year.

And also with Kabanov. Saw him at the draft party, the kid was pimp as ****. Fun as **** too

Old
06-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Sverra
Plumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
I would like to see him get the rookie 9 game tryout (i think thats what it is) before getting sent to bridgeport like Nino did. Honestly can't hurt.

And also with Kabanov. Saw him at the draft party, the kid was pimp as ****. Fun as **** too
9 game tryout is possible, after a good camp... but I think he gets the tryout in 2012.

for Nino it's all about how does he look in camp and in the pre-games....

N.b. they can't sent a chl junior to bridgeport at this age... they both will play junior if they aren't in the big team.

I also would predict Storme on the Wing of JT in some years. Nino perhaps on the left then, but it's more about that he will be on our 2nd line.

Last edited by Sverra: 06-28-2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: prediction about storme
Old
06-28-2011, 04:55 AM
steveat

All analysts say that Strome was picked to compliment Tavares, so I don't think he will play on a line without him. The analysts also state that Tavares will be on his wing and Strome will center.

Strome is at least one year away really..if not 2. Nino should stay another year developing..I don't want him rushed either. Kabanov NEEDS at elast one year...3 more tops..he's just had a crappy 2 years....bad luck, not talent-wise..if he can stay healthy for the next two years, I believe he will be fine. All of our forwards will come in roughly the same time, I think.. Petrov should be here next year...

I have no idea about Rakhshani..if he will ever play at the NHL level ..that kid really does have to make it this year..

We won't see a contender till 2014, I think..that is when all these guys will either start or be seasoned and also when we will actually be ready to be a cup level team.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:56 AM
scott99

Was just thinking about this offense in a couple of years, wow what talent. Can you imagine

Moulson-Tavares-Niederreiter
Grabner-Strome-Petrov
??-Nielsen-Kabanov

Wow, lots of talent. If Strome goes to Tavares wing, Brock Nelson may be ready in two years for 2nd line center duties, and then factor in Anders Lee and Rahkshani. Great potential for ridiculously talented team, key word is potential.

Also, at the draft, they were talking about how amazing a Tavares/Strome pairing could be, I'd love to see what a Strome/Kabanov pairing would look like as well. Lots of IF's here though.

Personally, I think Strome makes the team in 2012-2013.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Sverra
Plumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
All analysts say that Strome was picked to compliment Tavares, so I don't think he will play on a line without him. The analysts also state that Tavares will be on his wing and Strome will center...
tavares now played 2 seasons as center in nhl, and also was a center in juniors... by the time storme is ready 1-3 years more as center, this is why I would prefer to leave jt in center, and storme on the wing... what's wrong to have a sniper (jt is sniper and playmaker imo) centering, and a playmaker on the wing... I think it could work , I hope... if not, okay try it and switch them.

only time will tell

Old
06-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Sverra
Plumper

KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

Grabner-Strome-Petrov
??-Nielsen-Kabanov
not my linecombos, but I hope KO is still in place
so =>
Grabner-Strome-Petrov
Kabanov-Nielsen-Okposo

Old
06-28-2011, 06:49 AM
scott99

***** how can I forget Okposo, our future captain ! Oops

Old
06-28-2011, 06:53 AM
steveat

You know..I thought Strome would make a great sniper, but after looking at Highlights ...I have been living in Europe for the past while and didn't watch games as they weren't televised..gonna buy an ESPN subscription so I can catch the games from now on..Anyway..after looking at Tavares highlights, I am beginning to think he'll make a better sniper..he is quick, natural reflexes and a perfect eye..he is an awesome one timer...and decent hands.. the makings of a goal scorer...Strome I have to say has better hands than Tavares (lets hope it works at the pro level)...Strome finds Tavares open and boom...in the net..kabanov has great puck control too and has size. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

I honestly can't say what's going to happen...who will play what position, but the analysts specifically said that the Isles drafted Strome to play with Tavares as those two would compliment each other immensely.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:39 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Strome seems to play like a C, but he has the speed and shot to play wing.

Tavares plays like a winger in some respects, but b/c of his (lack of) speed and underrated playmaking ability I see him staying at C.

So maybe the more likely scenario is that Strome ends up on Tavares' RW. However, it really depends on how Strome develops, how Bailey develops, and whether they re-sign Neilsen.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

1 Year away at the minimum. Work on his size and strength, and he'll make a great case next October. Let's hope by than he's joining a playoff team, because if he's not, I'm tempted to push it back even, another year.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:14 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post

Nino was sent back to Juniors not Bridgeport. He's not eligible for Bridgeport yet, and neither would Strome. He'd go back to Niagara for at least another year if he doesnt stick after 9 games, if he even gets that much.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
TheZec

I think too that he is 1 or 2 year from making the jump to the nhl. And than i see him more as the #2 center behind Tavares, playing with Grabner and Okposo. I hope that with Nino all goes right and he will be on Tavares wing in 2 seasons.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:27 AM
BJo

JT is good in the faceoff dot (wasn't he over 50%?). Will Strome be? I don't think they want to lose JT's faceoff or playmaking ability at center, although his lack of footspeed hurts him defensively.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
rikker

honestly guys, i think that it's ideal to have two players on each line, that can take faceoffs. who lines up where, is not a big issue. at this level, if you are the closest man to the puck, be it backchecking or forechecking, you attack. the other linemates position themselves accordingly.

Strome's speed is what will compliment JT the most. nothing against MM, but a rugged, corner-working type (Nino/KO) should take his place.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
crashthenet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkS05...eature=related

Nice compilation.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
bluechipbonzo

My take from readings, viewings, and discussions with others is that Strome is pegged as a number two centre, with the ability to move up and play with JT not only on the powerplay, but also during line juggling, a la Crosby-Malkin.

I could see him playing wing in camp, and perhaps even during the exhibition season just to insulate him. That said, if the Isles have two games in one night like last year, centre is certainly an option.

Oh, and Nino makes the team.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:56 AM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I hope they do the right thing a not rush Strome like they did with Bailey. I say he is a year away but wouldn't be suprised if you saw him for the 9 game tryout this year.

Old
06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
All analysts say that Strome was picked to compliment Tavares, so I don't think he will play on a line without him. The analysts also state that Tavares will be on his wing and Strome will center.

Maybe I'm in denial or missing something completely, but if I see anyone moving to wing it's Strome - Not Tavares.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Maybe I'm in denial or missing something completely, but if I see anyone moving to wing it's Strome - Not Tavares.
No your not crazy. It seems that everyone who does not watch the Islanders everyday is in love with moving JT to the wing for some reason but all of us are just like wtf?

Strome will come to training camp this year and then go back to juniors for 1, maybe 2 years, the Islanders have no need or reason to rush prospects anymore and I'm sure they are well aware of the Bailey situation.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:04 AM
IslandersFan17

Strome is at the very least two years away. Then again, the ball is in Strome's court. If the kid blows everyone away at camp, Ryan might force the Islanders hand in the matter.

A Jeff Skinner situation if you will. However, as much as I like the Islanders and would be pumped to see Strome play sooner rather than later- They can not afford to rush a spec.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I think fans/analysts waste a lot of time wondering where players might fit in a line-up, who plays where, etc.

I believe that if you can play, you can play.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that player A will work well with player B in position X or Y. Who cares. Frankly, who even knows. The player Strome is at 18, in the OHL is not exactly relevant to what he'll be in the NHL.

I watched a replay of the Can-USA WJC game from 2009 where JT scored those two huge goals when Can was down 3-0 to the USA team, playing with DiDomenico and Esposito. He was incredible.

Tavares plays like a #1 Centre. Despite some doubters in his first couple of seasons, all I see is a leader, who cares about winning, wants to be the best, works as hard as anyone and has more ability than 99% of hockey players world wide. This is not a player I'd move to accommodate another player.

Would he make a great winger? certainly. But I see no reason to take a guy like Tavares and move him to accommodate someone else (not named Crosby).

Old
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
That is a sick video. I love the fight, as well as the slapshots. I think we have a winner on our hands. Of course, the highlight is the 50 move goal. Through his own legs, around the defenseman, fake out the goalie, and score from almost behind the net, just sick. Also love the break away goal, where he just speeds past the defensemen and scores an easy goal on what looks like a simple move. Seems like a great passer as well. Hopefully his skills translate to the NHL.

P.S., I've watched that video a dozen times before the Isles even drafted Strome. I really wanted us to draft him.

Closed Thread