HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kovalchuk mentions Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
My point is...

that Atlanta may rather have players. If they can't reach an agreement, then they get the picks.

It is funny how a 22 year old with minimal NHL experience is the savior on defense.

Old
09-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Magnus Fulgur

One major reason Atlanta should match any NYR offer is that the Rangers become a much better team, and Atlanta is much less than it was. This has playoffs implications...ATL is trying to become a playoff calibre team, and shouldn't let anybody in the lower half of the East improve. However, if they got 2 good players and 2 first picks, they could flip those for two under 28 3.5m top-six forwards in an ideal situation.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:40 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum
One major reason Atlanta should match any NYR offer is that the Rangers become a much better team, and Atlanta is much less than it was. This has playoffs implications...ATL is trying to become a playoff calibre team, and shouldn't let anybody in the lower half of the East improve. However, if they got 2 good players and 2 first picks, they could flip those for two under 28 3.5m top-six forwards in an ideal situation.
Another reason is it's a little bit of a PR disaster. I would actually expect the Thrasher's to bite the bullet and match. They have to then get their cap amount down enough to lock up Lehtonen sometime in the near future.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:50 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Another reason is it's a little bit of a PR disaster. I would actually expect the Thrasher's to bite the bullet and match. They have to then get their cap amount down enough to lock up Lehtonen sometime in the near future.
That appears to be the issue that I can see.

Do the Rangers have more cap room?

We may be in the position to make an offer that the Thrashers can't match without ruining their finances. If that's the case, it might not take 4 first rounders to convince them.

If the choice is, wreck your finances or let him go for nothing.... maybe they'll take only two first rounders and a prospect, and ship us his rights. Then we could sign him to a more reasonable deal. Etc.

Old
09-04-2005, 12:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64

We may be in the position to make an offer that the Thrashers can't match without ruining their finances. If that's the case, it might not take 4 first rounders to convince them.

If the choice is, wreck your finances or let him go for nothing.... maybe they'll take only two first rounders and a prospect, and ship us his rights. Then we could sign him to a more reasonable deal. Etc.
let him go for nothing? i don't see how 4 first round draft picks is nothing. if i'm Atlanta i let him go if the Rangers offer him a max salary. then i take the 4 first rounders and have 7.8 million dollars in cap money to spend. granted they're not going to sign anyone of Ilya's talent, but it's still 8 million bucks to play with...not too mention they now have 8 first round picks over the next four years. that's sick.

Old
09-04-2005, 12:34 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
let him go for nothing? i don't see how 4 first round draft picks is nothing. if i'm Atlanta i let him go if the Rangers offer him a max salary. then i take the 4 first rounders and have 7.8 million dollars in cap money to spend. granted they're not going to sign anyone of Ilya's talent, but it's still 8 million bucks to play with...not too mention they now have 8 first round picks over the next four years. that's sick.

Perhaps I am not up with the rules.

If we sign a RFA, is it REQUIRED that we give up 4 firsts?

Or has that just been the assumed going rate for a player like Kovalchuk?

Old
09-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I don't think that will happen. Atlanta has put in their time in rebuilding, or rather, building their team, and are now in a prime position to reap the rewards. The Heatley incident obviously hurts, but their franchise is still in an admirably solid state at this point. Losing Kovalchuk now, regardless of the success of future picks, sets them back at least 2-3 years from potential contention. Their time put in, their strategy, and their fans certainly deserve to cheer for a winning franchise that has conducted itself with intelligence and class.

Ours can learn quite a lot from theirs.

Old
09-04-2005, 12:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Or maybe they match and try to get back under the cap (that's if they're over) with a couple trades.

Old
09-04-2005, 12:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Perhaps I am not up with the rules.

If we sign a RFA, is it REQUIRED that we give up 4 firsts?

Or has that just been the assumed going rate for a player like Kovalchuk?
I believe once you go over $5 million per year that's the fallback compensation.

Closed Thread