HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World cup in junior hockey teams

Old
04-29-2011, 04:01 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
New rumour info about this

Participants should be junior champions of Russia (MHL), Czech rep, Sweden, Canada, Belarus, Latvia, Slovakia + one more country. Finland refused, Germany and USA hesitate

«Красная Армия» представит МХЛ на молодежном Кубке мира в Омске. Там выступят команды из Чехии, Швеции, Канады, Белоруссии, Латвии, Словакии. Восьмая страна пока не определена. Несколько стран, прежде всего США и Германия, пока сомневаются. А финны и вовсе отказались. Что ж, их право…

presentation

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

look

If it is true, I am just sad... Hockey Canada it is tourney of junior CHAMPIONS!! Send winner of CHL or dont participate. It is offence of european junior hockey!

Old
05-06-2011, 08:27 AM
billycanuck

Just to clarify some discussions on here.

NCAA is NOT a junior hockey league. This tournament is to crown the CLUB world champion and it is a sanctioned IIHF event.

The USA USHL is good junior hockey. I think people are forgetting that the USHL sent some teams to compete in the CCM Junior Classic competing against QMJHL teams. Yes, it was an exhibition series, and yes teams didn't play a regular season roster,
This is from LaLaLaprise post during the CCM Junior Classic
Quote:
Ages of players participating
Omaha (USHL):
20 - 3
19 - 6
18 - 7
17 - 2
16 - 1
Average 18.42
(no age for their back up goalie)

Quebec (QMJHL):
20 - 2
19 - 3
18 - 5
17 - 9
16 - 1
Average 17.8
Missing Esposito and Lacroix

Indiana(USHL)
20 - 3
19 - 9
18 - 6
17 - 2
16 - 0
Average 18.65

Rimouski (QMJHL)
20 - 2
19 - 4
18 - 4
17 - 9
16 - 1
Average 17.85
Missing Frolik, Fortier, Skokan.
Results:
Omaha 3 vs Quebec 2
Indiana 5 vs Rimouski 6 (Shootout)
Omaha 6 vs Rimouski 0
Quebec 5 vs Indiana 3

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
billycanuck

FORT MCMURRAY OIL BARONS TO REPRESENT CANADA AT WORLD JUNIOR CLUB CUP

I had a feeling the CHL would not send the Memorial Cup Champion. The CHL has a lot to lose at this tournament. Still shocked that Hockey Canada is sending the Oil Barons to Russian instead of the Royal Bank Cup Champion. This tournament is after all for Champions of the clubs respective league or country. Would make more sense to send the Vernon Vipers.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:44 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post

I had a feeling the CHL would not send the Memorial Cup Champion. The CHL has a lot to lose at this tournament. Still shocked that Hockey Canada is sending the Oil Barons to Russian instead of the Royal Bank Cup Champion. This tournament is after all for Champions of the clubs respective league or country. Would make more sense to send the Vernon Vipers.
yes, as I understand it, this tournament should be a "hockey junior festival" for club national champions. When Hockey Canada decided not to sent CHL champion, they should sent best team of this season in Jr A level.

Do you know more about countries which will participate?
In winter 2010 I read that it should be Russia, Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland and Czechs.

Last info (see my link above) says about Russia, Canada, Sweden, Czechs, Latvia, Belarus, Slovakia...

Do you know when IIHF make a final decision? during IHWC?

Old
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post

Wow, it's going to be a good experience for those guys, to bad CHL couldn't come to an agreement.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

participants

Russia (MHL) – Red Army CSKA (MHL champion 10/11)
Czech – Energia Karlovy Vary (finalist Noen ELJ 10/11)
Sweden – Malmő (play-off J20 SuperElit 10/11)
Canada – Fort McMurray Oil Barons (play-off AJHL 10/11)
USA – EJHL All Stars (Eastern Junior Hockey League)
Latvia – HK Riga (play-off MHL 10/11)
Belarus – Dinamo-Šinnik (MHL 10/11)
Slovakia – Tatranskí Vlci (newcomer MHL)

Who are good prospects of these teams?

Old
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
cheerupmurray

Malmös j-20 team is not in good shape right now, they lost a lot of their best prospects both to the senior team and to other swedish clubs/to be decided.

The Westerholm twins, Roger Ohlsson and Emil Carnestad, all born 1992, will probably play strictly for the main team next season. Their best talent, 1994-born d-man Calle Andersson, left for Färjestad.
It's still unknowned where players like Victor Öhman, Victor Mångs, Emil Sylvegård and Max Görtz end up.

What is left in the j-20 roster is not that exiting. They got 1993-born danish winger Nicolai Meyer that had a good season and have a chance to get drafted today. They also have a good 1993-born d-man in Simon Karlsson. That's about it unless they sign some big name before the season starts.

I don't think he will get the chance to play for the j-20 team much next year but Malmö have a very skilled 1995-born winger in André Burakovsky. He was one of swedens best forwards for the u-16 team last season.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

The EJHL is a big step down from the USHL. I couldn't begin to guess what players would compose an all-star team as the roster turnover in the league is usually very high. Hopefully they'll manage to be competitive.

I would have liked to see how a USHL team would compare to the European junior teams. Perhaps if the tournament is a success they'll send one in the future.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:19 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

trophy, made in Italy.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:25 AM
slovakiasnextone

Are Vlci still as playerless as Lev is?

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:38 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Are Vlci still as playerless as Lev is?
who knows? Public has no info about this matter. Training camp should start 1 july according to rules of MHL ,so it would be strange if they had no players. Management of HC LEV indirectly confirmed that they signed Petr Hruska (born 90) as goalie, he come from Karlove Vary. It was cca one month ago.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
IJKPrinciple

I've created a wiki page for the tournament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Club_Cup

So if anyone's interested, you can add info, fix errors etc.

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Did you create the page of SSC Blinova yourself? In English I'd call it simply SSC V. Blinov, letting go the declension from Russian. I would also tie it with the MHL and KHL pages since the tournament is organized by the MHL (I think). I would also add that HK Riga is Dinamo Riga's junior team. Plus, why is it called "Minor" Hockey League?

06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Garl

In ideal World I would have apprecaited the idea. However MHL teams from Russia, Belarus and Latvia will have unfair advantage over europeans.

a)Motivation(for europeans it's another preseason tournament, for MHL teams a chance to prove their claim of being best junior league in the World)
b)Politics(European senior teams will not release players like Westerholms for this tournament, while KHL teams probably will do it)
c)Age factor(Mhl teams are simply older than let's say SEL J20 teams. Age limit is 21 which allows the participation of 1990 born players, but Malmo will not have any 1990 or even 1991 born players)

So overall I fear it will be an unfair tournament, which will be used to proclaim the greatness of Russia and MHL.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:21 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
In ideal World I would have apprecaited the idea. However MHL teams from Russia, Belarus and Latvia will have unfair advantage over europeans.

a)Motivation(for europeans it's another preseason tournament, for MHL teams a chance to prove their claim of being best junior league in the World)
b)Politics(European senior teams will not release players like Westerholms for this tournament, while KHL teams probably will do it)
c)Age factor(Mhl teams are simply older than let's say SEL J20 teams. Age limit is 21 which allows the participation of 1990 born players, but Malmo will not have any 1990 or even 1991 born players)

So overall I fear it will be an unfair tournament, which will be used to proclaim the greatness of Russia and MHL.
when we look at it from this point of view - so you are right. But why should not be it like that?

1. Motivation for every junior league to prove its strenght. I know, it is only pre-season. But when MHL can look at it like serious tourney, why Swedes other can not?

2. Yes, it can be problem. But it is Q for clubs. Why dont Malmo seniors release this guys? If Malmo think that tourney in serious competition, they will release them. It is premier season... so it will be like you said. Unfortunately

3. I dont think it is problem for european teams. Elder (born 90) guys can play in senior teams.. they can release them for this tourney (yes, it is problem now,see point 2). But generally it should not be problem for europeans teams. For NA teams yes, it is problem. And in MHL is limit for eldest guys - 5 per team

Old
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post

You raised some fair points, however.
1) True, but well, we should start from somewhere, don't you think?
2) We'll see once the rosters are out
3) According to eliteprospects, Oskarshamn's average age was 17.7 years. MHL Champions Red Army had 17.81. Not a big deal.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
You raised some fair points, however.
1) True, but well, we should start from somewhere, don't you think?
2) We'll see once the rosters are out
3) According to eliteprospects, Oskarshamn's average age was 17.7 years. MHL Champions Red Army had 17.81. Not a big deal.
1.Probably. But at first the tournament might suffer.
2.I hope that Malmo and Energia will release older guys. But it's unlikely. Westerholms for example are expected to be a big part of senior team this year and I doubt that Redhawks would sacrifice valuable time of preseason preparations for them. Hopefully at least guys like Carnestad and Olsson will be released.
3.It's a big deal. Yeah Red Army happened to be a rather young team. However 1st year champions from Magnitka were an old team.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Garl

Quote:
1. Motivation for every junior league to prove its strenght. I know, it is only pre-season. But when MHL can look at it like serious tourney, why Swedes other can not?
Because swedes don't want to crush the unholy americans?LOL
Well, it's mostly about prestige. MHL bosses always try to proclaim MHL as the best smth.
Quote:
2. Yes, it can be problem. But it is Q for clubs. Why dont Malmo seniors release this guys? If Malmo think that tourney in serious competition, they will release them. It is premier season... so it will be like you said. Unfortunately
Junior team in Sweden exists for the needs of senior team. Actually I would have liked some change in the attitude towards J20 teams, and hope that senior teams would atleast release all players that they can, but important guys like Westerholms will not go, I'm almost sure.

Quote:
3. I dont think it is problem for european teams. Elder (born 90) guys can play in senior teams.. they can release them for this tourney (yes, it is problem now,see point 2). But generally it should not be problem for europeans teams. For NA teams yes, it is problem. And in MHL is limit for eldest guys - 5 per team
Yeah, it's all in ideal World. In reality a senior european team will not pull their regular roster player from preseason training process and put him to a tournament like this.

Besides with guys that finished their junior career 2years ago what kind of junior champion that team would be?

Even though would have been cool if Redhawks had released Heed, Westerholms, Olsson and Carnestad.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:45 AM
IJKPrinciple

Quote:
Did you create the page of SSC Blinova yourself?
Nope, the article was already there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports-...iktora_Blinova

I just linked to it

Quote:
I would also tie it with the MHL and KHL pages since the tournament is organized by the MHL (I think).
Already done - the WJCC page has a link to MHL and i added a section on the MHL page about the 2011/12 preseason that mentions WJCC.

Quote:
I would also add that HK Riga is Dinamo Riga's junior team.
Done.
Quote:
Plus, why is it called "Minor" Hockey League?
Well, that's a long story. I remember once, even before the first MHL season, there was an English language article on the official KHL website that refered to the league by the name Minor Hockey League. However since that time, the article is gone and the official name of the league in English is the YHL - Youth Hockey League.

I tried to propose in the talk page for the article the need for move - to "Youth Hockey League", however that endeavour ended with a "No consensus". That's why we're stuck with Minor Hockey League for now.

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
members of the EJHL All Stars (college commitment in parentheses) i am hearing Mike Jamieson, Ryan Randall (New Hampshire), Joe Prescott (Brown), Steve Miller (Cornell), KJ Tiefenwerth (Boston College), Connor Gorman (Providence), Zach Luckzyk (QUINNIPIAC), Jimmy Vesey (Harvard), Nick Bligh (Dartmouth), Jake Bolton (Holy Cross), Brian Harris (Maine), Cam Brown (Maine).

Potential Goalie, Derek Roy (Brown)

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
members of the EJHL All Stars (college commitment in parentheses) i am hearing Mike Jamieson, Ryan Randall (New Hampshire), Joe Prescott (Brown), Steve Miller (Cornell), KJ Tiefenwerth (Boston College), Connor Gorman (Providence), Zach Luckzyk (QUINNIPIAC), Jimmy Vesey (Harvard), Nick Bligh (Dartmouth), Jake Bolton (Holy Cross), Brian Harris (Maine), Cam Brown (Maine).

Potential Goalie, Derek Roy (Brown)
Most of them didn't even play in the EJHL last year. It's basically a prep school team. Calling them the "EJHL All Stars" is absurd at this point.

It seems like the only group taking this seriously is the MHL contingent.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:05 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Most of them didn't even play in the EJHL last year. It's basically a prep school team. Calling them the "EJHL All Stars" is absurd at this point.

It seems like the only group taking this seriously is the MHL contingent.
I think all the players will be playing in the EJHL this year. Obviously there will be players didnt play in the EJ last year because most of the best players from last year moved on. They held tryouts last week

Also Kyle Smith (New Hampshire) and Connor MacPhee are on the team. There will be no New Jersey Hitmen on the team due to conflict of their training camp schedule

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I think all the players will be playing in the EJHL this year. Obviously there will be players didnt play in the EJ last year because most of the best players from last year moved on. They held tryouts last week

Also Kyle Smith (New Hampshire) and Connor MacPhee are on the team. There will be no New Jersey Hitmen on the team due to conflict of their training camp schedule
Yeah, it wasn't clear to me how they were choosing the players. I've seen now that they held a league wide try-out, so I guess this roster should be a good representation of what the league has to offer. Lots of the guys on the final roster will be with the Monarchs or Junior Bruins this season who are two of the best teams in the league annually. I'm sure some of the Hitmen players would have made the team too if they participated. Here's the full roster...

Goaltenders (2):
Tyler Kapp (Boston Bandits); Zachary Andrews (NH Jr. Monarchs).

Defensemen (7):
Brian Harris (Junior Bruins); Cody Smith (Junior Bruins); Tom Parisi (NH Jr. Monarchs); Jake Bolton (NH Jr. Monarchs); Mike LaFrenier (New England Huskies); Derek Stahl (NH Jr. Monarchs); Kyle Williams (NH Jr. Monarchs).

Forwards (13):
Matt Vidal (Bay State Breakers); Tyler Bouchard (Springfield Jr. Pics); Joe Prescott (South Shore Kings); Jimmy Vesey (South Shore Kings); Connor MacPhee (NH Jr. Monarchs); Zach Luczyk (Junior Bruins); Cam Brown (NH Jr. Monarchs); KJ Teifenwerth (Junior Bruins); Connor Gorman (NH Jr. Monarchs); Kyle Smith (Junior Bruins); Michael Jamieson (NH Jr. Monarchs); Stephen Miller (NH Jr. Monarchs); Nick Bligh (South Shore Kings).

I still would have liked to see a USHL team participate instead.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I still would have liked to see a USHL team participate instead.
Do you know if they had an offer to participate and why they refused? I assume due to schedulle and "prestige" of tourney.
I do hope that champions of Sweden, Finland, USHL and maybe CHL will participate in future.