HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What was the deal with LaPierre

Old
06-28-2011, 04:26 AM
orcatown

vCash: 500
What was the deal with LaPierre

Not sure why Montreal basically dumped LaPierre.

He was very strong player for the Canucks during the playoffs. Strong on the draw, good checker, good on the PK and at least some offense.

Hard to understand why he was bounced around.

Maybe we'll find some problems in his game next season but at this point looks like a very good bottom 6 player.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:30 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

IMO it's an attitude problem more than a game problem. He was demanding more ice time and time on the PK. He wanted to be handed the keys for being a french canadian, and habs management wanted no part in that.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

He can be frustratingly inconsistent with both his effort and discipline over the course of an 82 game regular season. Unless Vigneault lights a fire under him or he matures on his own (both possible) I suspect you will agree with me on this by the next AllStar break. He always brings his game up another level in the playoffs though.
I won't speculate on why management let him go rather than work on improving his effort level throughout the regular season but I suppose it may have to do with off-ice issues as on the ice he can be a very useful player.

Sumoki Dachiba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:27 AM
LeMAD

Lapierre sucked 98% of the time.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:44 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Lapierre sucked 98% of the time.
But he came through in key games...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Basically, Lapierre is a bottom 6 role player that thinks he's a top 6 player. The reason he was shipped out of Montreal was because he thought he deserved more ice time and a bigger role and management disagreed. In Anaheim, it was a matter of not fitting into the style of play that the coach had set up. In Vancouver, he fit in perfectly. He brought that element to the Canucks that they were lacking and in return, they rewarded him with more ice-time. Not that much more than he was getting in Montreal, though.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. He's a role player that belongs on every team's bottom 6 and nothing more. At the price he was signed, I would much rather have Ryan White than Lapierre. White may not ever put up the same production as Max, but he hits more, fights more and is the kind of guy that teammates love having around.

Want to know something funny? My wife, who is Francophone and LOVES Lapierre, said this to me; "If bringing back Lapierre comes at the expense of Ryan White, I wouldn't do it. I think White is a better player to have, in the role he plays, than Lapierre."

Old
06-28-2011, 06:12 AM
shutehinside

Lapierre asked to be traded. Why keep a player who was as wildly inconsistent as he was AND didn't want to be there?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:25 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

White > Lapierre

I was tired of Lapierre not backing up his shiz. At least White isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Lapierre asked Jacques Martin to play more or to trade him. Jacques don't like that type of attitude and asked Pierre Gauthier to ship him out as soon as possible even if at a lower value before it rubbed off other players in his room.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:35 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

He was very strong player for the Canucks during the playoffs. Strong on the draw, good checker, good on the PK and at least some offense.

Maybe we'll find some problems in his game next season but at this point looks like a very good bottom 6 player.
He is and was a good bottom-6 player with speed. Has some flaws but who doesn't?

The Habs took apart the best 3rd line they had in 15 years in Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt and now it looks like none of the three will be on the team going forward.

Baffling, actually.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
White > Lapierre

I was tired of Lapierre not backing up his shiz. At least White isn't afraid to drop the gloves.
this sums up my view.

PK is a better pest anyhow and you don't want too many of those guys. We don't have enough guys to put out fires... firefighters.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:

Over time, you will notice the following things about Lapierre:

-Yes, he is good at certain aspects of PK, such as chasing players around in the offensive zone. But in his own end, he does not have the hockey sense required to perform the PK rotation and does not have the guts to block shots - two huge PK requirements. Martin likely noticed this and removed him from PK duties.

-He plays scared. Not only is he scared to fight, which is only marginally important, but he typically lets the opponent retrieve the puck first because he doesn't want to get hit. Then, he'll finish his check, thus inflating his hit numbers.

-He buzzes around like crazy but often accomplishes absolutely nothing.

That being said, at certain times he can be extremely effective due to his speed and has been known to pull of highlight reel goals at times. My guess is 2 years from now, you'll agree with me on all this.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:09 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
He is and was a good bottom-6 player with speed. Has some flaws but who doesn't?

The Habs took apart the best 3rd line they had in 15 years in Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt and now it looks like none of the three will be on the team going forward.

Baffling, actually.

There is no way that the combination you listed was better than what Halpern, Darche and Pouliot had going this year. The only reason they didn't play more together was because of injuries and because all 3 saw top 6 time at various times of the year.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Because his PK time was reduced drastically.

He didn't like the way JM used him, simple as that.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Lapierre wanted more ice time and be used on a top line, wasn't going to get it here under Martin and asked to be moved

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Intense

Bottom six player with an attitude. When scrubs like that get their own TV show it gets to their head.

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Le depisteur

Lapierre had good series, but managed only 4 pts in regular season...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Baffling, actually.

Baffling?

Great management of player assetts....LOL!

The worst part about this management era - is not so much trading a certain player -but what the HABS get in return!

Flyers just got a 3rd round draft choice from Wild for Darroll Powe (not nearly as good or effective as Lapierre....Lappy is on a team in the Cup finals + just re-signed with Vancouver) - yet the Habs effectively gave Lappy away for nothing!

And what did the Habs get for Roberio(?)...Jannie (nothing) Ninima (sp?)!

I know that 2 differnt GMs made those 2 trades, but the philosophy appears to be similar, if not the same!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It baffles me that there is a contingent of people on here jaded by Lapierre/MTL situation.

This guy is a dime-a-dozen player. You can get a young guy to play his role for less. And then that young guy might get better whereas Max is done.

Not to worry, all.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Lapierre asked to be traded because he wasnt recieving the ice time that he wanted, correct me if I'm
Wrong but I believe he was playing 5-6 mins/game at that time.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:55 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Canucks fans would be wise not to think the Lapierre they saw in the playoffs is the Lapierre they're going to get for an 82 game schedule. I don't think any Canadiens fans will deny that he was always able to bring it in the playoffs, but there's a reason why no Habs or Ducks fans were crying too much when he got traded.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Lapierre asked to be traded because he wasnt recieving the ice time that he wanted, correct me if I'm
Wrong but I believe he was playing 5-6 mins/game at that time.
Lapierre never asked to be traded and he played between 10 and 15 minutes by game in his last games in Montreal...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20102011

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:22 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

The problem with Lapierre is a painful lack of consistency in his play and effort. He also has a very incomplete skillset (which is to be expected of a bottom 6 player of course).

He'll have a good game or two and be invisible for ten others. Talented players CAN get away with it but a coach likes to be able to know what to expect with its bottom 6ers in order to rely on them.

Max Lapierre can look like a legit top6 player one day and like an ECHLer the next, its frustrating on the long haul. There are playoffs were he was pretty invisible also, altho that was a few years ago. In the last two years he's shown he can raise his level of play at least but its moot if he can't hold onto his spot in the regular season.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Lapierre never asked to be traded and he played between 10 and 15 minutes by game in his last games in Montreal...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20102011
Yes he did ask for a trade and you can see that his ice time was cut short from Dec 16 to Dec 30.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I wouldn't say he was "good" he's mediocre on PK and not that good on draws. Barely put up any points...

He asked to be traded because he saw himself as a bigger fish than what he was...I think White is a cheaper and tougher version of Lapierre

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote