HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Selection, #76 Overall Daniel Catenacci C

Old
06-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
The Buffalo Sabres today got the absolute steal of the entire Draft in Daniel Catenacci. This kid should have been a first round pick and don't be surprised if he makes the club this season. He is strong as a bull and trains with Gary Roberts. Playing far away in a remote OHL city like Sault Ste. Marie with less exposure, and not being played much at the U-18 World Championships with Team Canada dropped his ranking. What people don't know is he lead team Canada in pre-tournament scoring. He also played first line with #1 pick Nugent Hopkins at the U-18s Ivan Hlinka tournament winning the Gold. Buffalo just got a first round pick in this kid. He is the absolute steal of the entire draft and one of my favourite OHL players. He's as a complete player as they come, a leader and assistant captain of the greyhounds at 17. Not to mention he's represented by the best ever Bobby Orr.

Congrats to Buffalo's scouting staff!
Players drafted by Buffalo pretty much never play with the big club the year after they're drafted. Most don't even make the cut 2 years after.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Catenacci has been discussed as being one of the closest physically ready players out of this draft. It would be shocking for a third rounder to make the jump, something completely outside the bounds typically. I just can't see it, but wouldn't that be one hell of a story to have him make it? Heh.

06-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
I am back from a day of drinking a lot. Holy crap. I heard we took Caccitore in the 3rd round and I was like HOLY **** this guy is a burner, fast as **** and is the Italian Afinogenov.

Well whaztever, he has loads of skill and we can trade him, or Ennis in the future, in order to win the Cup
He is nothing like Afinogenov. In the highlights I watched, Catenacci actually scores on his breakaways.

Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I gotta say I am really getting excited for this kid. Sounds like he could be a great checking/PK forward for us in a few years, and possibly even hop into the top 6 if he progresses enough.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:54 AM
ct2111

I already love his work ethic:
Quote:
Skipping graduation to workout and skate after.
http://twitter.com/#!/DanCatenacci

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
His comment about working hard and having a shot at making the team is... interesting. I don't recall the last time a NA trained third rounder made the jump the next season. He'd be blazing a unique trail. Granted, a lot of combative shorter players can use a lot of things as motivation but it would be nearly unheard of for it to happen this year.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
His comment about working hard and having a shot at making the team is... interesting. I don't recall the last time a NA trained third rounder made the jump the next season.
I think it's interesting to hear his comments after the draft. He seems to take offence at where he was drafted, because he feels he should've been a late 1st/early 2nd round pick (e.g. in the Saultstar article). Usually you just hear about how they're happy to get drafted and nothing else. I like his competitive spirit. In a way he reminds me of Roy.

Last edited by ct2111: 06-28-2011 at 09:13 AM.
ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
I think it's interesting to hear his comments after the draft. He seems to take offence at where he was drafted, because he feels he should've been a late 1st/early 2nd round pick (e.g. in the Saultstar article). Usually you just hear about how they're happy to get drafted and nothing else. He also seems to think he has a shot at making the team next season. I like his competitive spirit.
I like that about him too. It's going to take something extraordinary to make it early -- perhaps he can use his draft position as the fuel to do that. Either way, it's great to have a speedster in the pipe, and a competitive one at that.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
His comment about working hard and having a shot at making the team is... interesting. I don't recall the last time a NA trained third rounder made the jump the next season. He'd be blazing a unique trail. Granted, a lot of combative shorter players can use a lot of things as motivation but it would be nearly unheard of for it to happen this year.
Via another thread, I just noticed that Catenacci is LISTED as only 1 inch shorter and 3 pounds lighter than Mike Richards. Not that I'm implying they have similar styles or top ends, but I feel people tend to put wayyyyy too much stock into a couple inches in listed height when 10 pounds of muscle makes a much bigger difference. It's safe to say bodywise he is NHL-ready.

He seems very raw with his hockey instincts so that is largely a bigger handicap than the organization's rather consistent developmental approach or his draft position, which I don't think the staff would hold against him. The need for a bottom 6 center is likely still going to be there come the end of camp -- even if they get 2 centers, one could argue a 3rd one would still be highly desirable in the mix over one of the wingers -- but it's hard to see him being the one plugging that gap. His only shot would be if Buffalo acquires no one at center, which seems impossible.

At least one year in the AHL will probably be the best path to him ultimately getting the most out of his very impressive physical talents. It's a shame he isn't eligible right now because he would be able to plug right into a 2nd/3rd line role and get right into his "prove them wrong" path.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
ohlguy

NHL's Hoffner ranking had him at #11 overall, just because his ranking slid because of not getting enough ice-time at the U-18 Championships doesn't mean he isn't a first round talent. remeber he lead his team Canada in scoring in the pre tournament games. My prediction is he has one of the best shots making it as an 18 year old in the league next season. His strength and speed is there already.

Hoffner's NHL.com Rankings:

#11 Colorado Avalanche (via STL) Daniel Catenacci, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
SKINNY: The dark horse of draft; will be the next Michael Cammalleri

ohlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:42 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Just read the whole thread. Damn, I'm excited. If he's training with Roberts and is that fast...at worst he could be a 4th line forechecker.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Tachycineta

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3188637

"But when I heard it was Buffalo, I knew that was a good spot," he said. "It was a relief. They told me If I work hard over the summer, I'd have a chance to make their team in the fall. Now that I'm competing for a job, I'm going to work harder this summer than ever before."

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:02 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post

"But when I heard it was Buffalo, I knew that was a good spot," he said. "It was a relief. They told me If I work hard over the summer, I'd have a chance to make their team in the fall. Now that I'm competing for a job, I'm going to work harder this summer than ever before."
I love this kid already

I think he may be a jersey somewhere down the line.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post

That's great to hear.

The more I read about this guy, the more I wonder how the hell we got him in the 3rd round, especially in a weaker draft like this past one. He's got an NHL-ready frame, trains with Gary Roberts, and he's pretty damn fast.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
His comments that the team told him he had shot at making the team are indeed interesting. I'm trying my best not to read too much into that comment. But since I can't help myself.

Maybe this means Adam is in the mix at center and he can battle him for a spot.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
His comments that the team told him he had shot at making the team are indeed interesting. Im trying my best not to read too much into that comment. But since I can't help myself. . Maybe this means Adam is slotted for the 3rd line and he can battle him for that spot.
A team as desperate at center as we are would probably remiss not to give him a chance to impress in training and development camp. If he plays lights out we could use a hard checking penalty-killing 3rd line center. Not that I'm campaigning for it or think it will happen but if he can pull a Myers, I wouldn't be upset.

Even just getting to the 9 game tryout would probably be a shocker though.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
It would be surprising, but if the center depth doesn't improve this offseason (which I admit is not likely, based on Regier's comments) I'd say he has a chance. He's playing the right position if he wants to be on the fast track to making the Sabres.

I have to say I love his fight and work ethic, at least based on his quotes. It will be interesting to see him in training camp.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:51 AM
ohlguy

If you love Catenacci's fight and work ethic based on his quotes, wait til you see him on the ice. There isn't another OHL player that gives his all and leaves everything on the ice every shift like this kid. He quickly became my favourite player in the OHL this past season. He played on a last place team with linemates that were 3rd or 4th liners on any other OHL club having a great season as a 17 year old.
Buffalo has truly stolen a first round gem!

ohlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The more I read about this kid the more excited I am. Absolutely can't wait to see him at camp.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
He was a 2nd rounder, but it could be sort of like Patrice Bergeron falling to the mid-2nd round in 2003 and surprising a lot of people by making the jump to the NHL with the Bruins.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
If you love Catenacci's fight and work ethic based on his quotes, wait til you see him on the ice. There isn't another OHL player that gives his all and leaves everything on the ice every shift like this kid. He quickly became my favourite player in the OHL this past season. He played on a last place team with linemates that were 3rd or 4th liners on any other OHL club having a great season as a 17 year old.
Buffalo has truly stolen a first round gem!
I also like his 185 PIMs over the past two OHL seasons.

He's fast, skilled, and a pain in the [radio edit].

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote