HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laich signs 6 year, $27M deal ($4.5M cap hit)

Old
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
With the Cap increase, he is making his realm of money. He is sound in all aspects of his game and great attitude/team guy. In the next few years when he is older, 4.5 million won't be anything and teams needing his type will trade for him. I also believe he will be better for three more years. He is reaching his prime age for hockey. GMGM getting his value out of the Bondra trade years ago for sure.

IafrateOvie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
I guess my question to you would be, if you had to pick a 'core' player to be moved .... wouldn't he be closer to the bottom of that list?
I thought he was a perfect first core guy to try moved. Great at nothing, good at almost everything else. Doesn't hit. He seems too nice a guy for the changes I am looking for. What our team lacks.

All our 2nd line scoring woes have always been pinned on a lack of center, or Semin. Ignoring Fedorov, BMo, Arnott perhaps. Brooks seems to escape scrutiny when discussing the inconsistency we have all seen on 2. Yet he has been a staple on that line.

I think he is right in between a checking line winger and a scoring line winger. A tweener. Sure he has just enough skill to hang on the PP. But he has been a part of our mediocrity, and he almost just exudes mediocrity, only at most positive phases of the game. But not all. I want my scoring line winger to have more offensive skill, or I want my checking line winger to have more grit and save us 2.5M.

I think that is an overpayment. No big deal if it was a shorter term deal. 6 years? I fear fat cat disease since I didnt see the urgency from him as a UFA.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-28-2011 at 09:34 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The best thing about this deal is I think it forces teams into the trade market. The ufa market is U-G-L-Y. There is nothing out there.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Robert Theodorson

I like the deal, if anyone deserves a raise it's Laich.

Alzner next, then Hannan

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Stewie G

People like to critizice McPhee for overpaying for players, well here is another great example. I like Brooks well enough, but I think this is about $1M in overpayment. I'm with the others in hoping that Brooks plays up to the contract and that the cap keeps going up so this deal will look better over the 6! years. You'd have thought the Caps could have kept the cap hit down a little considering how long the deal is for.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:30 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd stick him at 3C as a shutdown guy and use him heavily in special teams situations. If Brouwer plays his game at 2LW he can do a better job of opening up time & space for that line.

It's roughly a Ryan Malone type deal...less when adjusting for the cap rise. Curious whether there's a NTC included. I'm guessing given GMGM's recent history with such things that there isn't.
Ha, I was just looking at the details of Malone's deal.

IF there is any type of NTC it will be limited, but given the term and dollars, doesn't sound like there will be as it seems to me this is a market value contract, not a hometown discount.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Comparing to Ryan Malone:

Malone has career highs of 27 goals and 51 points. Laich has career highs of 25 goals and 59 points. Neither has a decided advantage in quality of teammates.

Malone signed a 7 year deal with a $4.5M cap hit in 2008-09, with a $56.7M cap ceiling (7.9% of the cap ceiling).

Laich signed a 6 year deal with a $4.5M cap hit in 2011-12, with a $64.3M cap ceiling (7.0% of the cap ceiling).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's lower than I thought he would get on the open market, or the low end at least of what I thought he would get on the open market, but then again he did get one more year than I thought he'd probably secure on the market. Something in the $25M or $26M for five years was what I expected.

Lord, though, I didn't think the Caps were going to be the team that gave it to him.

I'm not sure this is a player you give that kind of money to, but it makes me think the team is about to shed a big contract or more in trades. Laich is no longer a second/third line player, but a firmly second-line player, occasional first-line player.

Offhand, I'd say he's the new second-line center. Full time.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just for the record....Im fine with this.

As long as they deal away Semin eventually.
Yup.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The best thing about this deal is I think it forces teams into the trade market. The ufa market is U-G-L-Y. There is nothing out there.
Interesting slant that would perhaps translate into Semin's value now increasing.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

This deal seems to tell us that Laich is considered more 'core' than Semin (as he should be).

I wonder if it also indicates he might be considered Knuble's long-term replacement on the top line?

Old
06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You seriously think Brooks Laich is a $3M player with a $64M cap ceiling? Come on.
Yes I do. Maybe $3.5 if you are feeling really generous but nothing more. I don't deny his numbers and his contract are fine but there is a difference between what your numbers say you deserve and what your actual abilities are worth.

His abilities are nowhere close to deserving of that contract and if Semin is dealt away as so many want and is not replaced with another without a doubt 1st line player for Laich to play with the Caps are going to be stuck paying $4.5 mil per to a 3rd line talent who actually produces to his talent level.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Stewie G

I know it's fun to compare career high numbers, but I'm very skeptical that Laich will get to those numbers again. Out of those 25 goals he scored in '09-'10, 12 were on the PP and one was SH. Only 12 ES goals. That got me curious so I looked up his ES numbers over the last several years. He has scored 11, 13, 12, and then 11 ES goals in each of the last 4 years respectively. I know he brings a lot of other things to the table, but $4.5M a year seems like a lot for a guy who averages less than 12 ES goals a year.

Prove me wrong Brooks.

Edit: If this contract is paying him to be a second-liner, he needs to be scoring more than 12 ES goals a year.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I wonder if it also indicates he might be considered Knuble's long-term replacement on the top line?
This would kinda be my assumption as well. I was hoping it would be Fehr at some point, but the more you think about it the more Laich up there makes just as much sense.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just for the record....Im fine with this.

As long as they deal away Semin eventually.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Real_ESPNLeBrun: Laich's new deal exactly same term and $$$$ as David Legwand in Nashville _ $4.5 M x 6 years. And I suspect that was the comp they used

CraigCustance: Brooks Laich's deal includes limited no-trade clause in the first four years.

Right when Kuznetsov could be heading into his second contract.

I'd hope he's not considered 1RW or 2C material. That would be the contract dictating his role IMO.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
This deal seems to tell us that Laich is considered more 'core' than Semin (as he should be).

I was thinking the same thing, Knuble probably has 1 more year in him and then Brooksie will get bumped up to fill in the void.

Personally I think it will be interesting having the Brouwer-Laich-Semin line or Laich-Mojo-Brouwer

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Offhand, I'd say he's the new second-line center. Full time.
So the thing keeping him from being the 2nd line center in the past was that he wasn't on a 6 year $27 mil deal?

If Laich had the ability to be this team's 2nd line centerman he would have been given that job a long time ago...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yes I do. Maybe $3.5 if you are feeling really generous but nothing more. I don't deny his numbers and his contract are fine but there is a difference between what your numbers say you deserve and what your actual abilities are worth.

His abilities are nowhere close to deserving of that contract and if Semin is dealt away as so many want and is not replaced with another without a doubt 1st line player for Laich to play with the Caps are going to be stuck paying $4.5 mil per to a 3rd line talent who actually produces to his talent level.
Kovalev's abilities said he was worth being the highest paid player in the league. His numbers said other wise. Semin's abilities say he's at least an $8 million player, but his numbers say otherwise.

I'd rather pay for production than for ability.

Old

I too am curious if he is being pegged as the 3C.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
So the thing keeping him from being the 2nd line center in the past was that he wasn't on a 6 year $27 mil deal?

If Laich had the ability to be this team's 2nd line centerman he would have been given that job a long time ago...
I agree

It's 2nd line LW or 3rd line center for Laich

There's nothing wrong with paying a 3rd line center 4.5M if he can play both special teams like Laich can as well as be a scorer/checker and command his own line.

I assume and hope he will be given a permenant 'A' this season.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:47 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:

It's not a question of the contract making him a better player, but the organization may be compelled to give him a bigger role because they are paying him so much. Like Langaway said, sometimes the contract can dictate the role.

Long term I think he is the replacement for Knuble on the first line, and I think Fehr will settle in on the second line if he can stay healthy.

EDIT: If they're giving him this type of money to be a 3C full time (which I have no problem with given his special teams play also), they must be fairly convinced that MoJo is ready for the 2C role. Will be interesting to see what this does to the plans with Sjogren, as many thought he might be the answer at 3C down the road. He might move to wing and take Chimera's spot after this year.

Nowww... onto signing Alzner pls?

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Mothra

Quote:

agreed.....not sure where all the "he is the 2nd line center now" talk is coming from....If thats the plan, its a poor one

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd stick him at 3C as a shutdown guy and use him heavily in special teams situations. If Brouwer plays his game at 2LW he can do a better job of opening up time & space for that line.

It's roughly a Ryan Malone type deal...less when adjusting for the cap rise. Curious whether there's a NTC included. I'm guessing given GMGM's recent history with such things that there isn't.
I like brooks. And agreed with nbtw but for me its that it's 750k-1m overpayment.

Malone is my comparable as well. And he's not a comparable player IMHO. As a 3rd C he compares to staal. Once again not comparable.

What I fear is we are setting ourselves to be winger centric continuously. Laich works great with semin. But what does that mean for D or c if those two top 11M?

We're very fortunate the goalies are cheap. And Carlson is cheap for now.

I'm very confused about identity and gmgm's vision of this team going forward. I hope to be enlightened.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
sk84fun_dc

Definitely (well, maybe definitely is too strong, but in my opinion) no discount adding in the limited NTC for the first 4 seasons. First guess was wrong, but second try on that one was correct, lol.

Third player known on team to have a limited NTC after Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Along with Malone the Backes contract is a comparable, IMO. Still the term on this Laich contract is the surprising part to me given the cap hit. If I had the choice of the two at the same cap hit, I'd pick Backes, but just my opinion/preference and obviously not an actual option.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote