HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the deal with LaPierre

Old
06-28-2011, 09:32 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Lapierre never asked to be traded and he played between 10 and 15 minutes by game in his last games in Montreal...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20102011
Actually yes he did, he clearly stated that he wasn't happy here and right afterhe said that he was immediately moved

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
He asked Martin and PG if we was still in their plans, the answer was no. He asked for a trade.

Lapierre would've stayed here otherwise, but Martin and PG have something else in mind.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Baffling?

Great management of player assetts....LOL!

The worst part about this management era - is not so much trading a certain player -but what the HABS get in return!

Flyers just got a 3rd round draft choice from Wild for Darroll Powe (not nearly as good or effective as Lapierre....Lappy is on a team in the Cup finals + just re-signed with Vancouver) - yet the Habs effectively gave Lappy away for nothing!

And what did the Habs get for Roberio(?)...Jannie (nothing) Ninima (sp?)!

I know that 2 differnt GMs made those 2 trades, but the philosophy appears to be similar, if not the same!

Did you just compare the Ribeiro (Roberio? lol) trade to Lapierre? One was giving away a young highly skilled top 6 center while the other was trading away a bottom 6 player that asked out.

The main thing that people failed to understand in the Lapierre trade is that the Habs traded him away (for too cheap, but he was also not producing well at all) in order to make room for Desharnais, who was a whole lot more useful than Lapierre would've been for the rest of the season AND is now signed for 2 years at a pretty low price. You only have so much spots on your team, and when one is taken by a guy who is highly inconsistent and wants out, and you have a player at his position lighting up the AHL below, well you trade.

Could he have gotten better in return, maybe, possibly. But I think they wanted the trade done quickly (you don't want to leave a player that wants out in your line-up too long) and they were not looking for a player since they already had his replacement.

In the end, hopefully he matured and helps you guys in Vancouver. He WAS a good playoff performer, and that counts. But I think that his antics also get on the nerves of his teammates over an 82 games season, especially for a team like Montreal that did not really have fighters to take care of business. But then again when he doesn't play that type of game where he gets under people skin, he just doesn't seem to get into it and doesn't contribute very well.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:44 AM
neofury*

He's one of these guys who takes a break during the regular season and half the time you don't even understand why he isn't a #14 on your team.

Then playoffs come around and he's a solid player and makes it all worth it with timely goals and playing with an edge. He's able to get under opponents skin with ease. He's a good player but one of those players when you watch him play you can't help but feel he's better than what he's accomplished so far and simply doesn't have that drive to take his skills to the next level.

On several occasions Lapierre has shown some great creativity on the ice and has scored some very surprising goals. Ones you would expect from top tier forwards. Then the next game he goes back to being a pest with not much skill and when you do that on a team stacked with centers you better damn well hope you're one of the top 3.

He was a #4-5 at best, especially now that White is up. White can piss people off too and he backs it up more often than lappy does.

I like Lapierre but his time in Montreal was clearly coming to an end with the influx of young talent. That and he asked to be dealt.

I wish him all the best, loved him as a hab but wasn't terribly sad to see him go either. Just wish we would have gotten more.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
wedge

what I hate is that we traded him for nothing.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Erik Estrada

He did well for us in the playoffs. He was inconsistent during the regular seasons... I liked what he brought to the club... His relationship to management likely came into play. I'm sure he'll continue to find teams that can find him useful.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
what I hate is that we traded him for nothing.
Did we not get a pick and a player?

What the heck do you expect for a disguntled 4th liner?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Habs

Anaheim didn't like him either.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Paddyjack

Lapierre did well in the playoffs for Vancouver but he had the opportunity to fill out for Malhotra during his injury, and he did it well.

Next season however, with a full roster I'm very curious of how this is going to play out. I expect him to play a 4rth line role and he may be unhappy about that.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Did we not get a pick and a player?

What the heck do you expect for a disguntled 4th liner?
We got a 4th round pick and Brett Festerling who we later traded for Drew McIntyre. Good return if you ask me.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
ChoseLa

Lapiere is awesome in the PO but useless in the regular season. That has always been the deal with him.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
He can be frustratingly inconsistent with both his effort and discipline over the course of an 82 game regular season. Unless Vigneault lights a fire under him or he matures on his own (both possible) I suspect you will agree with me on this by the next AllStar break. He always brings his game up another level in the playoffs though.
I won't speculate on why management let him go rather than work on improving his effort level throughout the regular season but I suppose it may have to do with off-ice issues as on the ice he can be a very useful player.
Well, exactly what I was going to post

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:35 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
There is no way that the combination you listed was better than what Halpern, Darche and Pouliot had going this year. The only reason they didn't play more together was because of injuries and because all 3 saw top 6 time at various times of the year.
That was regular season and yes they potted a couple of goals, but Pouliot is not a performer in big games, at least not yet in his career.

Moore-Lapierre-Pyatt played against top scoring lines and neutralized them, scoring a few themselves. It was INVALUABLE as it basically allowed either Gionta or Cammalleri to face easier matchups and pile up some goals and win two series against favoured teams.

Halpern-Darche-Pouliot could be a good fourth line, nothing at all against how they did for a while there, but a third line capable of shutting down a top line is worth more.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Joe Cole

1- He asked to be moved.
2- You do not keep people around who ask to be moved, it is a cancer
3- They moved him.
4- end of story.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Pascal

What happened is that everyone realized Lapierre would never drop his gloves and they were now able to take all sorts of liberties on him. Then Laps started to yap less, hit less and bother other teams less.

That's why in the playoffs he suddenly picked his game up IMO.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

His work ethic comes and goes.

Martin does not approve.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
number 11

wait till he goes 25 games without a point and guys in the room are sick of fighting his battles for him.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Gainey and PG are great at dumping.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
wait till he goes 25 games without a point and guys in the room are sick of fighting his battles for him.
Who had to do that?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyjack View Post
Lapierre did well in the playoffs for Vancouver but he had the opportunity to fill out for Malhotra during his injury, and he did it well.

Next season however, with a full roster I'm very curious of how this is going to play out. I expect him to play a 4rth line role and he may be unhappy about that.
5 points in 25 playoff games is nothing to write home about for a #3 center. I'm not shedding any tears that he is gone, we can find a guy who shows up every night and doesn't whine for less than 1 mil/year.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
We got a 4th round pick and Brett Festerling who we later traded for Drew McIntyre. Good return if you ask me.
I agree and we plugged a cheaper Ryan White into his spot...White wasn't whining about ice time and not afraid to drop the gloves.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

This thread is full of revisionist history and lies. Lapierre never asked or demanded a top-6 role, he wanted to be the checking line centre and figured he deserved it after his great playoffs and breakout year the year before.

But as this forum goes to show over and over; the Habs are right, ex-Habs are always wrong.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I agree with the Vancouver fan board sentiment on Lapierre. Many Habs fans are just trying to justify yet another bad example of asset management.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
1- He asked to be moved.
2- You do not keep people around who ask to be moved, it is a cancer
3- They moved him.
4- end of story.
He didn't issue a formal trade request. He and Gauthier just had a convo and both sides came to a agreement that a trade would be the best for both parties.

http://www.allhabs.net/feature/au-revoir-maxim/

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
neofury*

You guys crack me up. Most of the people here had mostly positive things to say. Is it really such a back handed comment to tell the truth these days?

Okay Lapierre wasn't borderline useless for most of the regular season, he was a 100pt guy and Gauthier gave him away for nothing. Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
He didn't issue a formal trade request. He and Gauthier just had a convo and both sides came to a agreement that a trade would be the best for both parties.

http://www.allhabs.net/feature/au-revoir-maxim/
Alright alright, it was a mutual agreement then

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote