HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2011 Panthers Draft summary

Old
06-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Theoren Fleury with a passion other than drinking and coking ! Heard it here first.

I've been the first to say it also, I thought we could get Grimaldi with 33rd all along and that's why I'm excited about this draft !

I don't care for our other picks ! To pick Huberdeau in the first and Rocco in the second, you can't be anything but happy as a Panthers fan !!
A lot of people in the Prospects section of HF have been saying that if Grimaldi wasn't 5'6" then he'd easily be in the top 5 of the draft. Hearing that just makes me smile like crazy. If this kid can figure out how to use his size (or lack thereof) to his advantage and really make up for it, then i think we've come up with a HUGE steal in the second round.

I'm really excited to see this kid on the ice.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
A lot of people in the Prospects section of HF have been saying that if Grimaldi wasn't 5'6" then he'd easily be in the top 5 of the draft. Hearing that just makes me smile like crazy. If this kid can figure out how to use his size (or lack thereof) to his advantage and really make up for it, then i think we've come up with a HUGE steal in the second round.

I'm really excited to see this kid on the ice.
He already has !

By Luce and a lot of scouts, he manages with his speed and shiftiness to make his lack of size a strenght... Or kind of ! We know it will hold him back sometimes, like St-Louis and Gerbe etc...

But he plays the small-guy game to a T, is gritty and highly productive !

Don't care if he gets put on his ass 10 times a season by a big defenseman... He would probably have went by or around that guy a couple of times in the season to score or set up a goal !

And I'll continue and I'll sign... Rocco was a top-3 offensive talent in this draft ! Don't listen to MR.

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Erick

The comments on Rocco seem like hyperbole.

A top 5 talent doesn't slip all the way to the 2nd round just because of his size, imo.

I'm gonna go with "potential mid-first rounder who slipped to the 2nd round because of size."

If he were a lock, I'd have a hard time believing no team takes him in the first round.

I could be wrong, but it's pretty ignorant for all the teams to pass up on a guy just because he's 5'6." Some of the people on that thread are saying that Rocco would've been the first pick of the draft if he were 6 feet tall. Seems like they're exaggerating some.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:23 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
No way, Jurco is the safer prospect because of his size but talent-wise Grimaldi blows Jurco out of the water. I think Rocco's gonna make it despite his size. Gerbe is 5'5", Gionta is 5'7", St. Louis is 5'6". If they can have success, I'm confident Grimaldi can too with his work ethic. I compare him a lot to Gerbe, both came out of the USNTDP. Except Grimaldi was more productive there and also played against tougher competition(back when Gerbe was playing there the U-18 team played against NAHL teams instead of USHL teams).

Grimaldi was rated lower but that's only due to his size. I think he's gonna make a lot of teams sorry, I really do. Fabulous numbers in the USNTDP, almost on a Kane level.
Look, can we really stop with this Grimaldi hype nonsense? He's a damn fine prospect, but im getting sick of hearing him annointed the steal of the draft and how his talent blows people out of the water.

Grimladi went two spots ahead of Jurco. Both were ranked to go close. So no, stop being utterly ridiuclous, Grimaldi doesn't "blow him out of the water". Jurco is an incredibly gifted player who simply has his own flaws and consistency issues. He's also widely considering to "have Top 10/15 talent" from the draft just passed, which is realistically the same category Grimaldi exists within. Jurco's combination of puck control, dekes, size and overall Offensive package make him a very appealing project. It's entirely realistic that he'll be a better player than Grimaldi (and Vica versa). I happen to think Grimaldi is an excellent pick, but some of post-draft posts are EPICALLY optimistic and happy.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
ursavolta

Please..stop pissing on my cheerios..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Look, can we really stop with this Grimaldi hype nonsense? He's a damn fine prospect, but im getting sick of hearing him annointed the steal of the draft and how his talent blows people out of the water.

Grimladi went two spots ahead of Jurco. Both were ranked to go close. So no, stop being utterly ridiuclous, Grimaldi doesn't "blow him out of the water". Jurco is an incredibly gifted player who simply has his own flaws and consistency issues. He's also widely considering to "have Top 10/15 talent" from the draft just passed, which is realistically the same category Grimaldi exists within. Jurco's combination of puck control, dekes, size and overall Offensive package make him a very appealing project. It's entirely realistic that he'll be a better player than Grimaldi (and Vica versa). I happen to think Grimaldi is an excellent pick, but some of post-draft posts are EPICALLY optimistic and happy.
HFBoards Newsfeed:

PanthersRule96 "likes" this post.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

What there did I say that was out of line? The only reason Grimaldi wasn't a top 10 pick is because of his size. Jurco is not a top 10-15 talent, unless you consider stickhandling as all-encompassing skill. As far as everything else goes, yes Grimaldi blows him out of the water.

Also, the poster asked me what I thought. That's what I think. If you don't like it, then tough. I didn't make any concrete declarations.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
What there did I say that was out of line? The only reason Grimaldi wasn't a top 10 pick is because of his size. Jurco is not a top 10-15 talent, unless you consider stickhandling as all-encompassing skill. As far as everything else goes, yes Grimaldi blows him out of the water.

Also, the poster asked me what I thought. That's what I think. If you don't like it, then tough. I didn't make any concrete declarations.
Maybe he's referring to other people. Idk but even Fialkov and others here have been saying things like "if he were 6' tall, he'd have gone #1 overall." Those are pretty big exaggerations. He's a top 10 pick perhaps based off skill alone, but Huberdeau, Hopkins, and a couple other guys are pretty amazingly talented up at the top there. The hype thrown on Grimaldi has almost been more than of Huberdeau since the draft.

And btw, I watched some extended video of Huberdeau last night and this guy is EXACTLY what we need. I mentioned back in Feb or so that I thought he could be our guy but have been busy and not on here much. This guy is a stud with unbelievable vision and talent. I haven't been this excited about one of our first rounders in ages and this includes me being jacked up on Frolik in 06.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Maybe he's referring to other people. Idk but even Fialkov and others here have been saying things like "if he were 6' tall, he'd have gone #1 overall." Those are pretty big exaggerations. He's a top 10 pick perhaps based off skill alone, but Huberdeau, Hopkins, and a couple other guys are pretty amazingly talented up at the top there. The hype thrown on Grimaldi has almost been more than of Huberdeau since the draft.

And btw, I watched some extended video of Huberdeau last night and this guy is EXACTLY what we need. I mentioned back in Feb or so that I thought he could be our guy but have been busy and not on here much. This guy is a stud with unbelievable vision and talent. I haven't been this excited about one of our first rounders in ages and this includes me being jacked up on Frolik in 06.
If he were 6'0" tall, maybe he doesn't go #1, but top 7 definitely. You also have to consider that if he were 6 inches taller, it would change his playing style among other things. But with that skill, he still goes top 7 IMO. But yes, as far as pure skill goes, he's among the elite of this draft. Right up there with RNH, Huberdeau, and Strome. Anyone who doesn't believe me, well you will once you see him play.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:10 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:

See, i fail the need for you to so ridiuclously overhype him. Terms such as "blows him out of the water" are not realistic ; indeed it does nothing else other than raising the expectations for other posters making the circle of hype even more. They went two spots apart and yet you feel the need to say one destroys the other so much? Jurco has been considered a high end talent for a considerable time ; a boom or bust pick with excellent upside. So if Jurco is a risky pick but upside and Grimaldi "blows him out of the water", what on earth are you expecting from this pick?

Only on HFboards is a 2nd round pick already annointed a steal, far superior to the players picked around him and dubbed a Top 5 talent who fell to us at #33.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:12 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
See, i fail the need for you to so ridiuclously overhype him. Terms such as "blows him out of the water" are not realistic ; indeed it does nothing else other than raising the expectations for other posters making the circle of hype even more. They went two spots apart and yet you feel the need to say one destroys the other so much? Jurco has been considered a high end talent for a considerable time ; a boom or bust pick with excellent upside. So if Jurco is a risky pick but upside and Grimaldi "blows him out of the water",what on earth are you expecting from this pick?

Only on HFboards is a 2nd round pick already annointed a steal, far superior to the players picked around him and dubbed a Top 5 talent who fell to us at #33.
Like any other prospect, we will cross the fingers and hope he makes it ?

Really man, cool off a bit...

MR may have seen Rocco more than you and I, I don't know.

But many scouts have praised Rocco for his skills... Many haven't seen a one-timer like his in years, his shooting accuracy is great.

Grimaldi is as much the risky pick as Jurco... Instead that Rocco's big question mark is his size, Jurco it's his competitiveness and hockey-IQ !

And Jurco has been praised as a can't-miss prospect by all the YouTube nerds who saw his little clips... Many scouts have been downgrading him since the beginning of the year.

MR never said Grimaldi was a God above Jurco... He just said Rocco's hockey skills are way better than Jurco's... Except for puck-dangling and flash maybe... He also never said Rocco was a sure-fire to make it and Jurco a big bust.

Keep it cool man ! You won't only see that kind of praises about Rocco on HFboards... Great minds in hockey and scouting department had Rocco ranked in the top-20 to top-10 prospects in the draft. And A LOT of them said Rocco is one of the top offensive players in this draft ! So you got to believe that he was !

We may be overhyping him a bit, because we are all talking about the new Fleury or St-Louis while the kid hasn't even stepped in the NHL yet and maybe he won't ever make it. But to claim that his offensive skills are right at the top of this draft isn't too far-fetched !

Have a beer and relax !

Since we are in the draft summary thread, I can tell you Kosov is the second coming of Viktor Kozlov, with Bure wheels and sniping ability ! The guy will break every records held by a Russian player, and will be an HOF right when he steps onto the ice !

Old
06-29-2011, 07:47 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
See, i fail the need for you to so ridiuclously overhype him. Terms such as "blows him out of the water" are not realistic ; indeed it does nothing else other than raising the expectations for other posters making the circle of hype even more. They went two spots apart and yet you feel the need to say one destroys the other so much? Jurco has been considered a high end talent for a considerable time ; a boom or bust pick with excellent upside. So if Jurco is a risky pick but upside and Grimaldi "blows him out of the water", what on earth are you expecting from this pick?

Tallon seems extremely high on him. It's true that GM's always say that they got the guy that they want. Having said that, Tallon isn't very good at lying (hell, I think the guy would fail a lie detector test when he's telling the truth as he seems to hate talking to the media so much) and he seems genuinely excited to have the kid.

I don't think he throws out statements like (paraphrasing here) "every tournament we've seen the kid in, he's dominated" lightly.

Sure, the kid may bust, but a little optimism around these parts is certainly welcome.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Tallon seems extremely high on him. It's true that GM's always say that they got the guy that they want. Having said that, Tallon isn't very good at lying (hell, I think the guy would fail a lie detector test when he's telling the truth as he seems to hate talking to the media so much) and he seems genuinely excited to have the kid.

I don't think he throws out statements like (paraphrasing here) "every tournament we've seen the kid in, he's dominated" lightly.

Sure, the kid may bust, but a little optimism around these parts is certainly welcome.
Of course he is excited, he drafted the player he ranked highest at that slot available. Grimaldi is an exciting prospect with high potential. He has also dominated many tournaments. But what is ludicrious to suggest is that he blows players like Jurco (which inturn implies guys like Rattie etc too) out of the water in regards to talent. That's not optimistic, thats frankly just stupid. I'd consider myself cautiously optimistic in regards to Grimaldi and am excited to have him in our organisation. It doesn't mean im going to start spouting rhetoric crap.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Like any other prospect, we will cross the fingers and hope he makes it ?

Really man, cool off a bit...

MR may have seen Rocco more than you and I, I don't know.

But many scouts have praised Rocco for his skills... Many haven't seen a one-timer like his in years, his shooting accuracy is great.

Grimaldi is as much the risky pick as Jurco... Instead that Rocco's big question mark is his size, Jurco it's his competitiveness and hockey-IQ !

And Jurco has been praised as a can't-miss prospect by all the YouTube nerds who saw his little clips... Many scouts have been downgrading him since the beginning of the year.

MR never said Grimaldi was a God above Jurco... He just said Rocco's hockey skills are way better than Jurco's... Except for puck-dangling and flash maybe... He also never said Rocco was a sure-fire to make it and Jurco a big bust.

Keep it cool man ! You won't only see that kind of praises about Rocco on HFboards... Great minds in hockey and scouting department had Rocco ranked in the top-20 to top-10 prospects in the draft. And A LOT of them said Rocco is one of the top offensive players in this draft ! So you got to believe that he was !

We may be overhyping him a bit, because we are all talking about the new Fleury or St-Louis while the kid hasn't even stepped in the NHL yet and maybe he won't ever make it. But to claim that his offensive skills are right at the top of this draft isn't too far-fetched !

Have a beer and relax !

Since we are in the draft summary thread, I can tell you Kosov is the second coming of Viktor Kozlov, with Bure wheels and sniping ability ! The guy will break every records held by a Russian player, and will be an HOF right when he steps onto the ice !
I have many beers my friend. Many.

I'd advise others to do so to, so it justifies them being in lala land

One doesn't dispute the talent Grimaldi has, nor am i unhappy with the selection. On the contrary i think the selection has the potential to be very positive. But seemingly unlike many posters here im able to refrain from making hyperbolic and extreme ideals and dreams that simply are not sustainable or true.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Of course he is excited, he drafted the player he ranked highest at that slot available. Grimaldi is an exciting prospect with high potential. He has also dominated many tournaments. But what is ludicrious to suggest is that he blows players like Jurco (which inturn implies guys like Rattie etc too) out of the water in regards to talent. That's not optimistic, thats frankly just stupid. I'd consider myself cautiously optimistic in regards to Grimaldi and am excited to have him in our organisation. It doesn't mean im going to start spouting rhetoric crap.
Fair enough.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:

One doesn't dispute the talent Grimaldi has, nor am i unhappy with the selection. On the contrary i think the selection has the potential to be very positive. But seemingly unlike many posters here im able to refrain from making hyperbolic and extreme ideals and dreams that simply are not sustainable or true.
Does that mean you think Grimaldi's upside isn't anything more than a second-liner ?

If that is it, you are wrong...

Guys like Rattie and Jurco are good, pretty good. But Rocco is much better IMO.

Khokhlachev and Grimaldi are the only guys in the second round that I thought would go top-20 or first-rounder for sure ! My opinion anyway, I'll respect yours.

But if you don't think Grimaldi's holds first-liner upside, then I think you are wrong.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

Panthers on hf boards is usually lala land. You're not allowed to be a realist or not dare to be critical or you'll be burned by all of the rose colored glasses. It was a very good pick at 33, further judgement will come if and when he suits up for us. We've had many picked in the top 15/20 over the years that never amounted to anything. Hope this kid can become a star for many reasons.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Panthers on hf boards is usually lala land. You're not allowed to be a realist or not dare to be critical or you'll be burned by all of the rose colored glasses. It was a very good pick at 33, further judgement will come if and when he suits up for us. We've had many picked in the top 15/20 over the years that never amounted to anything. Hope this kid can become a star for many reasons.
You think this is an optimistic crowd?

I think there are plenty of folks on both sides of the ledger, with a sizable group of "expect the worst but hope for the best" in the middle. Are there more "rose colored glasses" folks than "doom and gloom" folks? Sure. You are on a forum populated by fans of the team. What direction do you EXPECT them to skew?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Does that mean you think Grimaldi's upside isn't anything more than a second-liner ?

If that is it, you are wrong...

Guys like Rattie and Jurco are good, pretty good. But Rocco is much better IMO.

Khokhlachev and Grimaldi are the only guys in the second round that I thought would go top-20 or first-rounder for sure ! My opinion anyway, I'll respect yours.

But if you don't think Grimaldi's holds first-liner upside, then I think you are wrong.
Have i defined what upside i think Grimaldi has? No. I haven't, so speculating and suggesting things i haven't actually said is folly my dear Bilbo.

"Much better" ; again why is this needed?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Doyle

Cats Leave Minnesota With More Grit, Depth
http://nhlhotstove.com/cats-leave-mi...re-grit-depth/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
You think this is an optimistic crowd?

I think there are plenty of folks on both sides of the ledger, with a sizable group of "expect the worst but hope for the best" in the middle. Are there more "rose colored glasses" folks than "doom and gloom" folks? Sure. You are on a forum populated by fans of the team. What direction do you EXPECT them to skew?
Everyone is different, and it is great to be positive, but to ignore the negative can also be described as ignorant. My point was that anyone who dares to
be a realist or to be critical is often personally attacked in a wave of immature and abrasive rants, since hiding behind a key board makes anyone tough. I will always call it as I see it, good or bad, regardless of what anyone might think or say, and I won't personally attack anyone while doing it. We all want to have a winning team. As an original season ticket holder for all of these years, nothing would make me happier.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

I'm not ridiculously overhyping him. That's your perception. I guess Tallon is ridiculously overhyping him too? Nothing I said was out of line, I'm sorry if you can't handle it. Look at the size difference between Jurco and Grimaldi. If you can't figure out what I'm saying...

Jurco has never been considered a high end talent. He's got great hands and is a hell of a stickhandler, but overall he is not a high end talent. He's a classic late 1st/early 2nd type player who could pay off big time for the team who drafts him but could just as easily bust big time. Even a year ago, or two years ago, when guys tend to get overrated and then fall as time progresses, Jurco never belonged to that class. Like guys like Ambroz, Puempel, and Saad did. He was never even close to the top 10 at any point.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:54 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Everyone is different, and it is great to be positive, but to ignore the negative can also be described as ignorant. My point was that anyone who dares to
be a realist or to be critical is often personally attacked in a wave of immature and abrasive rants
, since hiding behind a key board makes anyone tough. I will always call it as I see it, good or bad, regardless of what anyone might think or say, and I won't personally attack anyone while doing it. We all want to have a winning team. As an original season ticket holder for all of these years, nothing would make me happier.
If you ever feel that way, send one of the mods a PM.

I try not to pick sides as I find you all equally annoying.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:

Current mods do great job, and none of it bothers me since I consider the sources. Right back at you.