HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Pick #15 (J.T. Miller, F)

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the NYR 1st Round Pick? (do NOT vote until player is drafted)
Very Happy 57 20.80%
Somewhat Satisfied 91 33.21%
Neutral 34 12.41%
A little unhappy, but I can live with it 22 8.03%
I'm furious at Slats and Gordie 8 2.92%
I don't know enough to have an opinion 62 22.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-27-2011, 11:31 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I hope you're right. I've liked everything I've heard about him...but admittedly I was a bit concerned that we drafted an 11 goal scorer 15th overall, particularly when there were guys who scored 30+ still on the board.
Cant go by that.

USHL is not a league in which you'll see kids racking up points like the CHL.

The USNT plays against not only other USHL teams, but they also play against NCAA teams, and play international tournaments such as the U-18 WJC.

They play against stiff competition.

The games against NCAA teams and in the international tournaments, which are the more important games on the season for the USNT, Miller was a top performer. He, like Kreider, elevates his game. Factor in those games, he was a leading scorer for the USNT.

Has Bartschi or Puempel had to play against 20-23+ year olds at any point? The answer is no.

Its like the age old debate of NCAA vs CHL.

Plowing through under-developed children in the CHL and racking up points is not better for a guy like Kreider or Miller...or Grachev.

Playing in a tight league, against older, stronger, physically mature players in NCAA where two way play matters, is better for kids like Kreider and Miller.

USHL and particularly the USNTDP is a great development program.

I can almost guarantee Miller is already further ahead in his development then the likes of Puempel and Bartschi. Which are two names the detractors were drooling over.

Miller goes to UND, with experience against NCAA teams already under his belt, and probably plays for the U-20 WJC US team with international experience already under his belt.

I dont care how much raw skill another player from the CHL has, they dont nearly have the resume Miller already has. And Biggs, and Grimaldi (even though i dont like his size).

USHL prepares a player for NCAA, NCAA prepares a player for AHL and NHL.

Its an under-appreciated development program (USA Hockey). And we are starting to see more and more quality players come from the system.

Same reason you cant look at Kreider's numbers and claim he isnt progressing.

Watching him play, its clear as day how much he progressed.

His two way game has really blossomed, hes gotten stronger, smarter, hes really becoming the PLAYER that a lot of us envisioned.

I emphasize PLAYER, because there is more to playing hockey then racking up points at the expense of every other facet of the game.

Besides that, both Miller and Kreider possess the skill everyone wants.

EDIT TO ADD:

On the otherside of the token, a lid like McIlrath benefits from the WHL because he has to face more prolific offense.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 06-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Is there any chance at all that Miller could surprise us all and make the Rangers out of camp? He seems to have NHL size already. Would he be considered for a bottom 9 role if he really stands out in camp?

Is he definitely going to college or is there a chance he wants to turn pro and play in the AHL next year?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I can almost guarantee you that every one of these draft picks has had at least one concussion by this point in their lives...just not everyone is going to report it, or even know that they had one
When I had a concussion I knew it. So did the other guys on my team.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:11 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Is there any chance at all that Miller could surprise us all and make the Rangers out of camp? He seems to have NHL size already. Would he be considered for a bottom 9 role if he really stands out in camp?

Is he definitely going to college or is there a chance he wants to turn pro and play in the AHL next year?
I won't say there is no chance, but the chances are so small that it might as well be no chance.

He has said that if the team that picks him wants him to play in the OHL, he will consider it. He could technically play in the AHL (if he signs a contract first), but there's probably less chance of that happening than him playing in the NHL next year. The Rangers aren't going to rush him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post

He won't be in camp because he's not going to sign until after a season or two of college. They're not going to wreck him by rushing him like that.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
When I had a concussion I knew it. So did the other guys on my team.
There was a study released earlier this year that found 56% of concussions go undiagnosed and unreported at the high school level in the US. It echoes findings of pretty much every other concussion-reportage study that's ever been released.

Basically, for every one instance where you and your teammates know you are concussed, there's one instance where either you don't know or don't say anything to anyone.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Hemorrhoid is right.

But its important to remember that it is likely that the minor concussions are the ones that are more likely to go neglected, as the symptoms are harder to detect.

I also remember reading a study that said once a concussion was completely healed, there was no heightened risk for another one.

Anyone who wants concussion info, just tweet Taylor Twellman. He'll talk your ear off.

06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Cant go by that....
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Miller will progress nicely, and start putting up some better numbers as he rounds out his game.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
There was a study released earlier this year that found 56% of concussions go undiagnosed and unreported at the high school level in the US. It echoes findings of pretty much every other concussion-reportage study that's ever been released.

Basically, for every one instance where you and your teammates know you are concussed, there's one instance where either you don't know or don't say anything to anyone.
i wonder how they determined concussions that people didn't know they suffered? ones that were reported are obvious the player just admits that he didn't say. but if no one including the player knows how do you determine that?

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i wonder how they determined concussions that people didn't know they suffered? ones that were reported are obvious the player just admits that he didn't say. but if no one including the player knows how do you determine that?
How you determine an exact rate, I don't know. But the basic gist is having high school athletes fill out questionnaires, asking about any type of concussion-type symptoms that the athletes have suffered. In the end, you find a ton of athletes that have all the standard symptoms of a concussion, but never sought treatment because they didn't realize the potential impact of their condition. Thus, these kids have concussions, brush them off as just headaches or whatever, and they're never diagnosed. Or, they might even suspect that something more serious has occurred, but the desire to get back into the game causes them to ignore their symptoms.

One of the biggest issues is that a lot of athletes share the popular misconception that you have to lose consciousness to suffer a concussion, which is just not the case. Most concussions do not result in any loss of consciousness.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I would absolutely love this pick, but with concussions being the issue they are these days, i am somewhat neutral.

I truly hope this kid has hardened up and can be a great player for us for years.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:49 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I would absolutely love this pick, but with concussions being the issue they are these days, i am somewhat neutral.

I truly hope this kid has hardened up and can be a great player for us for years.
He's young and built like a tank, concussions aren't an issue unless his name is Ryan Borque.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
He's young and built like a tank, concussions aren't an issue unless his name is Ryan Borque.
Eric Lindros was young and built like a tank too. Size doesn't stop you from being concussion prone.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Wait this kid has concussions problems?

(sorry I cant read through 20 pages)

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Wait this kid has concussions problems?

(sorry I cant read through 20 pages)
He's had one or two.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

When he was a youth.

Hasnt effected him at the USHL level.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:51 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post

I would bet that a huge percentage of that is not saying anything out of fear of losing the position on your team or out of some stupid notion of machismo.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:52 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Hemorrhoid is right.

But its important to remember that it is likely that the minor concussions are the ones that are more likely to go neglected, as the symptoms are harder to detect.

I also remember reading a study that said once a concussion was completely healed, there was no heightened risk for another one.

Anyone who wants concussion info, just tweet Taylor Twellman. He'll talk your ear off.
I would question that study because there are players who attract concussions like moths to a flame.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
He's had one or two.
For a point of reference, J. Toews had 2 concussions in his draft year. I'm not saying their circumstances are the same, but it hasn't stopped him from playing a 'drive-to-the-net' type of game

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Jesker

Montreal fan here

Just want to wish best of luck to my favorite prospects of the 2011 draft with you guys. I really think you got a stud, a hard working talented player who will be a coach's and fan's favorite. I was really hoping he would be still availabe for the Habs, altough I'm happy with Beaulieu as well.

Well done NY.

Jesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAmSoo3gBk

I wish I could do that when I was 17-18 years old...wait, I wish I could do that now. Kid's a beast.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Leetch3

usahockey USA Hockey
Watch #NTDP product J.T. Miller discuss being selected 15th overall at the #NHLDraft: http://t.co/HnhdkFZ
12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LRA9zNcZk

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I would question that study because there are players who attract concussions like moths to a flame.
The study didn't conclusively prove that they weren't easier to get. It stated there was no evidence to support the opposing theory.

Do you think that the type of players you mentioned are to some degree genentically predisposed to have an easier time getting concussions? You look at the Lindros brothers and they could find themselves severely concussed in a pillow fight. Yet, there are some player who get hammered by a concussion and then heal up and are able to continue with their careers.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:04 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
The study didn't conclusively prove that they weren't easier to get. It stated there was no evidence to support the opposing theory.

Do you think that the type of players you mentioned are to some degree genentically predisposed to have an easier time getting concussions? You look at the Lindros brothers and they could find themselves severely concussed in a pillow fight. Yet, there are some player who get hammered by a concussion and then heal up and are able to continue with their careers.
More people in the latter group than in the former, I would guess.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
usahockey USA Hockey
Watch #NTDP product J.T. Miller discuss being selected 15th overall at the #NHLDraft: http://t.co/HnhdkFZ
12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2LRA9zNcZk
Nice. Thanks.

Noticed Don Lagreca there, too. Very cool.